Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call (28848 Views)

NDLEA: How Fake $20m Was Found In An Abuja-bound Bus From Lagos / Thief Caught 8 Months After He Stole Phone & Withdrew N500K From Victim Account / Man Withdrew ₦750k From Victim's Account After Shooting His Eye In Abia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by faithfull18(f): 8:14pm On Mar 21, 2021
He will need to report to the police or a lawyer and also report to his bank officially. He will be told to get a court order. The police won't work for free, they will ask for money.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Odingo1: 8:14pm On Mar 21, 2021
Report to the Bank and police. Bank never request for personal details from people, he should have known that.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by donpope1(m): 8:15pm On Mar 21, 2021
Dexpro:
Yes. It can be recovered
please let's know the process because my dad fell to those scammers recently.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by We4all: 8:15pm On Mar 21, 2021
Yes, the money can be recovered but it will involve a rigmarole which wouldn't be worth it. Your dad should count his losses. And on your part, you should channel your energy towards educating him so history wouldn't repeat itself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by addexx: 8:16pm On Mar 21, 2021

I thought people used to say what an elder sees sitting down....
Anyways follow stupid proverbs cos it's popular at your peril.
That's how one not too elderly lady prolly mid 50s got her atm card swapped by a 'kind gentleman' who showed her how to use the ATM.
Alert became her ringtone!
If you are ignorant, you are ignorant; the end. Your age is your business.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Adewale1603(m): 8:17pm On Mar 21, 2021
elderly people are falling for this scam.

2 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by aralc: 8:18pm On Mar 21, 2021
Exponental:
Is your dad a learner
I wish he can trace it to the last even if it will cost him more.

Don't say that o. I felt I was too smart to be scammed not knowing that I was so close to be. It was that day I realized God loves me. I saw their advert on twitter using zenith Bank usual promo beta life.na so I chat them with their so called verified WhatsApp number. Before I know it the said I should give them my bank details for registration. Na so I give o they told me I should send them my verification code not knowing it is otp. That's where I wanted to swear for truecaller. Normally the code will just pop up without message and an option to copy. I just pasted the code to them. Good enough they wanted to remove all my money but they exceeded transfer limit. They did it again and ask me to send otp na so my brain reset. I sent them wrong otp we argued cos I insisted it was correct las las the guy blocked me

6 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by oyepaulkay(m): 8:19pm On Mar 21, 2021
Aflix:
Can Money Sent To Fraudsters Be Gotten Back?

My dad called me recently to tell me about how he was defrauded. He told me that a guy called him and told him that he is a customer care personnel from the bank he uses and that his account has some issues, so he was asked to send his details which he did.

After sending it, they started transferring the money in the account to another account and he had to rush to a POS stand to transfer the rest to his other account. They had transferred close to #500,000 before he was able to do this.

So, I'm here to ask if anybody has experienced this and has been able to retrieve his/her money.

Please any reasonable advice is welcomed and please no insults.

Tell your Dad to get a police report, court affidavit, Visit his bank and fill fraud report forms with details of the fraudulent transactions and afterwards he should write a petition to EFCC and submit in the nearest EFCC office, this is the best solution and he's not going to spend a dime.

Talking from experience. There's 100% chance that the perpetrators will be brought to book because they never stop, and there's a 80% chance that he will get his money back.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by GABRIEL6036: 8:19pm On Mar 21, 2021
Exponental:
Is your dad a learner
I wish he can trace it to the last even if it will cost him more.
You get dad so? see how disrespectful you sound. He just said no abuse and you are here saying Bullshits!

2 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by GABRIEL6036: 8:21pm On Mar 21, 2021
oyepaulkay:

Tell your Dad to get a police report, court affidavit, Visit his bank and fill fraud report forms with details of the fraudulent transactions and afterwards he should write a petition to EFCC and submit in the nearest EFCC office, this is the best solution and he's not going to spend a dime.

Talking from experience. There's 100% chance that the perpetrators will be brought to book because they never stop, and there's a 80% chance that he will get his money back.

Yeah, that's is the best thing to do...
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Fr33born(m): 8:22pm On Mar 21, 2021
Realdeals:
It appears they are now targeting the elderly
Exactly.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Ganjafama(m): 8:23pm On Mar 21, 2021
aralc:

Don't say that o. I felt I was too smart to be scammed not knowing that I was so close to be. It was that day I realized God loves me. I saw their advert on twitter using zenith Bank usual promo beta life.na so I chat them with their so called verified WhatsApp number. Before I know it the said I should give them my bank details for registration. Na so I give o they told me I should send them my verification code not knowing it is otp. That's where I wanted to swear for truecaller. Normally the code will just pop up without message and an option to copy. I just pasted the code to them. Good enough they wanted to remove all my money but they exceeded transfer limit. They did it again and ask me to send otp na so my brain reset. I sent them wrong otp we argued cos I insisted it was correct las las the guy blocked me
If you are as enlightened as I believe you are you should know that banks don't request for your personal details online or true phone. If you have a complaint, all they need is just your account number and BVN.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by id4sho(m): 8:23pm On Mar 21, 2021
aralc:

may you never run out of oil. better oil dey ur head.

1 Like

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by CrazyMan(m): 8:26pm On Mar 21, 2021
ikllbrokehoes:
Wait.. so people still fall for these scam tactics? damn!
He's an old man.

Usually, these fraudsters target elderly or naieve people who aren't very enlightened or educated, cos they're easier targets as compared to the enlightened and educated ones.

It's a pity that most Nigerian youths these days, are into fraud. All they think of his how to defraud others of their hard earned money and cause them pains...it's so sad

I pray they're caught.

6 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by bamac(m): 8:29pm On Mar 21, 2021
I was called last Monday, the guy said he is calling from the bank I registered my BVN with. I asked which bank, the idiot ended the call.

5 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Kingstanding: 8:34pm On Mar 21, 2021
Aflix:

My dad called me recently to tell me about how he was defrauded. He told me that a guy called him and told him that he is a customer care personnel from the bank he uses and that his account has some issues, so he was asked to send his details which he did.

After sending it, they started transferring the money in the account to another account and he had to rush to a POS stand to transfer the rest to his other account. They had transferred close to #500,000 before he was able to do this.

So, I'm here to ask if anybody has experienced this and has been able to retrieve his/her money.

. #1 Nigeria's banking system is rubbish reason for saying that is every bank customer suppos to be insured by the bank. If your daddy go to bank the babj official will be posting your dad. What your dad should do is to contact a legal practitioner and the lawyer will write a petition to Efcc and copied the cbn,and bank branch manager I promis you your dad will get his money back with hundred percent guarantee. Because the bank will know where the money transferred to and from there I'm damn sure they will track down the culprit. With the new Efcc chairman Bawa am sure you will laugh last. Best of luck.

3 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Dexpro: 8:36pm On Mar 21, 2021
donpope1:
please let's know the process because my dad fell to those scammers recently.

I've replied him.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Olisehinnocent: 8:37pm On Mar 21, 2021
My own is that my secondary school classmate called me and told me that he's working in Steling bank that they were told to open bank account to people. That they were given target which he don't want to lose. That I should send my details. The details include my bvn, passport, phone number, next if kin, my full name etc. Omo I block his number o

5 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by nsiba: 8:37pm On Mar 21, 2021
Bornsinner7:
To get his money back he has to spend more.. The problem in Nigeria is too much.. cuz the fraudsters must have withdrawn the money from their own end

Normally the process should be very easy since he can easily trace the account number where the money was wired to.. but the bankers themselves will make it difficult for him( sometimes these fraudsters work with bank officials )..

With BVN they can easily fetch the profile of the account and even trace the individual down to his living room.. (BVN is linked to almost everything here, National I.D, Passport, SIM card etc)

All this requires money and sometimes you may even spend more than you lost to the criminals.. Court affidavit, court order are the first step to start with

Stop talking nonsense if you don't have any reasonable thing to say
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by BeboNGN: 8:38pm On Mar 21, 2021
Forget it, fraudsters are now colluding with bankers

3 Likes

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by stanliwiser: 8:42pm On Mar 21, 2021
Jaqenhghar:
The scammers right now

[img]https://media1./images/dd7fb7489fc1554c292974a13b239898/tenor.gif?itemid=20477301[/img]
This got me rolling ... grin grin grin grin

But the situation no funny haba
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Pat081: 8:43pm On Mar 21, 2021
Sorry for your dad loss he did what he should have done 1st last by calling you b4 telling them it happen to one man in my street still now he has not seen the money more than 3yrs
Aflix:

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by stanliwiser: 8:43pm On Mar 21, 2021
nsiba:

Stop talking nonsense if you don't have any reasonable thing to say
but he is saying the truth na
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by hakeem4(m): 8:43pm On Mar 21, 2021
OgogoroFreak:
How?

If you needed the money, why did you send it in the first place?
did you read the post?
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by UkBalesNig(f): 8:44pm On Mar 21, 2021
So bad
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Ghostmode2two(m): 8:46pm On Mar 21, 2021
OgogoroFreak:
How?

If you needed the money, why did you send it in the first place?
Baba wake up please. He did not send the money but his dad sent his bank details to wire wire gang and his dad made the job easier for the red eyes boys roaming the street.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by hakeem4(m): 8:46pm On Mar 21, 2021
Aflix:

he should get police reports and court affidavit.
But the process is going to be tedious. But he’s definitely going to get his money back
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Twoclans(f): 8:49pm On Mar 21, 2021
BeboNGN:
Forget it, fraudsters are now colluding with bankers

The fraudsters are in the banks,with the high rate of casual staff and high staff turnover it is expected.Individual account details are exposed to people who should not have that information.

I have a project I want to save for so I decided to use my union bank account that has been without much activity .The moment the credit hit the account I was called by those mumu yahoo boys.After listening to the idiot I told him next time he should atleast run a background check on who he wants to scam.I told the fool that I am an ex banker and he cut the call immediately.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Jaqenhghar: 8:50pm On Mar 21, 2021
stanliwiser:

This got me rolling ... grin grin grin grin

But the situation no funny haba
At all brother. Its very sad.
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by samdaisi: 8:50pm On Mar 21, 2021
Numerouno94:
angry It won't b difficult tracing them nd apprehending the fraudsters buh banks seems to b protecting them. Reporting to ur bank to find out the recipient/ the account the cash was transferred to buh ur bank will frustrate u. Its like the banks shield those criminals.

ignorant kills faster than sickness
every organisation has ethics and the banks of Nigeria is being controlling by central bank of Nigeria any deviation from it attracts fine and penalty
Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Ooe33: 8:51pm On Mar 21, 2021
Bornsinner7:
To get his money back he has to spend more.. The problem in Nigeria is too much.. cuz the fraudsters must have withdrawn the money from their own end

Normally the process should be very easy since he can easily trace the account number where the money was wired to.. but the bankers themselves will make it difficult for him( sometimes these fraudsters work with bank officials )..

With BVN they can easily fetch the profile of the account and even trace the individual down to his living room.. (BVN is linked to almost everything here, National I.D, Passport, SIM card etc)

All this requires money and sometimes you may even spend more than you lost to the criminals.. Court affidavit, court order are the first step to start with

See, it happened to one of my friend. But truth is. The bank can only give u details of the transfer. How bank kept saying the beneficiary bank, the beneficiary bank.

So The best thing to do is to get an affidavit to the fraudsters Bank. Or a court order for them to produce the customers, place a lien on the account and report the said case to cbn to hotlist the bvn if matters drag.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Fake 'Customer Care' Withdrew ₦500k From My Dad's Account After A Phone Call by Duplexxx: 8:51pm On Mar 21, 2021
They defraud your papa make he go report Nigeria police na wetin e dey wait for

They called him and he can't go to his bank to rectified the problem

Your papa na really mugu

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Burial Of 17-Year-Old IPOB Member Killed During Trump Solidarity Rally. PICS / Police Arrest Vandals Stealing Bridge Railings In Lagos. / 20-Year-Old Man Who Defiled A 9-Year-Old Girl Arrested In Rivers State (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.