Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,941 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know (2402 Views)

Wike: I Sacked Tamuno Because He Didn't Know The Limits Of His Powers / Lekki Shootings: CNN To Lai Mohammed, 'You Didn't Provide Any Evidence' / Akure Explosion: I Didn't Know There're Explosives In My Truck, Truck Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by theTranslator: 7:52pm On Mar 22, 2021
Abeokuta was a sovereign nation for 20 years and 11 months before the British amalgamated her with the rest of Nigeria. She had her own laws, Police Force, Civil Service and was well organized. The Alake was the head of the defunct government known as the Egba United Government from (1 February 1893- 1 January 1914). The amalgamation with the rest of Nigeria did not go down well with the Egba people and this resulted in the Adubi War (1918).

Abeokuta was founded in 1830, with Sodeke as her leader. The initial name of Abeokuta was “Oko Adagba” meaning “Adagba’s farmstead”-Adagba was an Itoko farmer. Sodeke who led the Egbas met him there. Abeokuta means ‘under a rock’, signifying the protection which the Olumo Rock offered the Egbas during attacks. Since the discovery of Olumo Rock, no one has fallen from it. Not even once.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13297370_images_jpeg_jpegeb6c065c105cfe1af50da1aeadfb7a99 Olumo rock then

Abeokuta has faced many wars, worthy of note are the Dahomey-Egba wars of the 19th century.
Dahomean kings Gezo and Gelele (father and son)were both defeated
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13297882_screenshot20210322233056_jpeg35035faafd890f354589e9160fc75e5f

Do You Also Know That?

Abeokuta is a SwiftTalk Internet and WAN Service Town.

The first church in Nigeria was completed in 1898. The Cathedral Church of St. Peter which is the first church in Nigeria, is located in Ake, Abeokuta, Ogun State.

The first Baptist Church in West Africa and the first local government in Nigeria (Abeokuta South) are in Abeokuta.

The first University in Nigeria should have been located in Abeokuta but due to infighting, it was established at Ibadan as the University of Ibadan in 1948.

The first secondary school in Nigeria was sited in Abeokuta before it was relocated to Lagos as CMS Grammar School due to unknown reasons.

The first hospital in Nigeria, Sacred Heart Hospital, is in Abeokuta and still functioning.

The first bridge in Nigeria (Sokori Bridge-1903) built by a Nigerian (Mr. John Adenekan) without European supervision is in Abeokuta.

The first Newspaper in Nigeria (Iwe Iroyin) was founded in Abeokuta in 1859.Its even rumoured to be the first indigenous language newspaper in Africa
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13297768_109437197702297630684082288521897171494155o_jpeg88a929ae37aa473669514019b2e6e264 a Yoruba version

The first president of the Nigeria Union of Teachers and the first woman to drive a car was from Abeokuta. They both married each other. They were also the first male and female admitted to Abeokuta Grammar School.

The first indigenous Chief Justice of Nigeria (Justice Adetokunbo Ademola) was from Abeokuta. He was the son of the longest reigning monarch (Alake) in Egbaland.

Okukenu Sagbua I, was the first Alake of Egbaland. He was enthroned on August 8, 1854. His descendant, Okukenu Sagbua IV is the current Alake of Egbaland.

Alake Gbadebo I, was the first monarch in Nigeria to visit England on a state visit. He spent 20 days at sea-May 5-25, 1904.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13297952_images2_jpeg_jpegeaa7b646bbf3e81e48bac7a3f797497c

The first time a white man came to Abeokuta on January 4, 1843, everybody (both young and old) left their homes and market places to catch a glimpse of Henry Townsend, the white man.

During the American Civil War (1861-1865) which interrupted the U.S cotton trade to Europe, Abeokuta exported cotton to England.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13297919_images3_jpeg_jpegd27f509609759ba43b8e9f6487603bb9

The most influential woman in the history of Egbaland and the first Iyalode of Egbaland was Madam Tinubu. Tinubu square in Lagos and Ita Iyalode in Abeokuta are named after her. She died in 1887.

In 1893, the Egba United Government was recognized as an independent nation by Britain. She had her own laws. Many developments were made until 1914, when she was amalgamated to form Nigeria. The Sokori Bridge was constructed in 1903 and Abeokuta Grammar School was founded on July 16, 1908.

In 1925, Josiah Jesse Ransome-Kuti (1855-1930) Fela’s grandfather, became the first Nigerian to release a record album after he recorded several Yoruba language hymns in gramophone through Zonophone Records.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13297947_images4_jpeg_jpeg9f47bf0b994a4097d89d18197817d3e2

The most enlightened clan among the Yoruba tribe are the Egbas. Her chiefs had been interacting with the Queen of England as far back as 1868 which continued till a century later. English and Egba monarchs did exchange gifts.

The only South Westerners ever to rule Nigeria are from Abeokuta (Olusegun Obasanjo and Ernest Shonekan).

It is widely believed that Egba women are more independent than any other Yoruba tribe in the country e.g Eniola Soyinka, Elizabeth Adekogbe and Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti.

Amazing!
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Seun

1 Like

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by theTranslator: 7:53pm On Mar 22, 2021
shocked wink
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by LibertyRep: 7:59pm On Mar 22, 2021
Baawa o.

1 Like

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by Nobody: 8:45pm On Mar 22, 2021
OBJ is not Egba but Owu.

1 Like

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by theTranslator: 10:47pm On Mar 22, 2021
Mrbillionaire:
OBJ is not Egba but Owu.
Read the write up well
It says He is from Abeokuta
Not he is from Egba.

1 Like

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by Nobody: 11:30pm On Mar 22, 2021
theTranslator:

Read the write up well
It says He is from Abeokuta
Not he is from Egba.

OK thanks
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by theTranslator: 11:35pm On Mar 22, 2021
Mrbillionaire:

OK thanks
You're welcome
I'm still updating it though
You from Abeokuta?
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by theTranslator: 11:36pm On Mar 23, 2021
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by Vaughanlanrewaj: 3:12am On Mar 24, 2021
Amazing!! You left out the roles Egba played in Sports and its prestigious schools like Abeokuta Grammar School.
You did a great job! Well done sir.

1 Like

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by maxell(f): 6:28am On Mar 24, 2021
Cool wink
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by sevenhundred(m): 6:58am On Mar 24, 2021
Mrbillionaire:
OBJ is not Egba but Owu.
what's difference between the egba and owu? they are the same thing, it's just infighting and egoistic problem, what do you think about egba United government?
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by EzeNri(m): 2:45pm On Mar 28, 2021
Egbas are not aboriginal Yorubas.
The fact almagamation forced them into the West doesnt mean they are Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by theTranslator: 2:49pm On Mar 28, 2021
EzeNri:

Chai shocked
Which kin lie be this?? cheesy
So you mean I'm not Yoruba?? grin

Try again

Gbagura

4 Likes

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by jneutron4000: 2:54pm On Mar 28, 2021
[s]
EzeNri:

[/s]
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by EzeNri(m): 2:57pm On Mar 28, 2021
theTranslator:

Chai shocked

Try again

Gbagura
Yoruba is not a tribe but a political alliance to give minority tribes in the West like real Yorubas (Oyo), Ijebus, Aworis, Egba, Ilajes majority status.

None of those mentioned above are Yorubas.

Yoruba media is just blackmailing them and forcong Yorubaness (Oyo) down their throats.

Be guided

1 Like

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by EzeNri(m): 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2021
jneutron4000:
[s][/s]
Go and ask your Ooni and he will tell you Egbas have more link to Nri than Oduduwa.

Be guided
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by theTranslator: 3:01pm On Mar 28, 2021
EzeNri:

Yoruba is not a tribe but a political alliance to give minority tribes in the West like real Yorubas (Oyo), Ijebus, Aworis, Egba, Ilajes majority status.

None of those mentioned above are Yorubas.

Yoruba media is just blackmailing them and forcong Yorubaness (Oyo) down their throats.

Be guided
Lol those are sub groups

Why do you ipob guys like deceiving yourself

That's like saying Nigerians are not Africans it's just plain stupid
Go and tell Soyinka that he isn't Yoruba nau cool grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by theTranslator: 3:03pm On Mar 28, 2021
EzeNri:

Go and ask your Ooni and he will tell you Egbas have more link to Nri than Oduduwa.

Be guided
grin grin
I don't think I'll grant you correspondence anymore grin
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by EzeNri(m): 3:08pm On Mar 28, 2021
theTranslator:

Lol those are sub groups

Why do you ipob guys like deceiving yourself

That's like saying Nigerians are not Africans it's just plain stupid
Go and tell Soyinka that he isn't Yoruba nau cool grin grin cheesy
He is not.

Yoruba media is blackmailing him and others to accept Yoruba as a tribe. Prior to the 18th century, was there any term like Yoruba?

3 Likes

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by theTranslator: 3:13pm On Mar 28, 2021
grin
EzeNri:

He is not.

Yoruba media is blackmailing him and others to accept Yoruba as a tribe. Prior to the 18th century, was there any term like Yoruba?
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by omonla555: 3:14pm On Mar 28, 2021
Why Igbo's will not envy Yoruba nation.
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by EzeNri(m): 3:16pm On Mar 28, 2021
theTranslator:
grin
The truth shock you abi?
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by EzeNri(m): 3:17pm On Mar 28, 2021
omonla555:
Why Igbo's will not envy Yoruba nation.
It is actually Yorubas envying Ndi Igbo

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by theTranslator: 3:18pm On Mar 28, 2021
EzeNri:

The truth shock you abi?
I dey laugh you grin

2 Likes

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by Gbagura: 3:25pm On Mar 28, 2021
theTranslator:

Chai shocked

Try again

Gbagura
Ẹ̀gbá isn't Yoruba? You've failed in dividing us. You've left awori and Ìjèbú which you claimed aren't Yoruba to move to Ẹ̀gbá àbi? I'm an egba man and I'm a proud Yorùbá all day all night. You can't seperate me from Yoruba neither can you seperate Yoruba from me.

Igbos telling Yoruba her history. Wonders shall never end.

4 Likes

Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by Gbagura: 3:29pm On Mar 28, 2021
theTranslator:
Abeokuta was a sovereign nation for 20 years and 11 months before the British amalgamated her with the rest of Nigeria. She had her own laws, Police Force, Civil Service and was well organized. The Alake was the head of the defunct government known as the Egba United Government from (1 February 1893- 1 January 1914). The amalgamation with the rest of Nigeria did not go down well with the Egba people and this resulted in the Adubi War (1918).

Abeokuta was founded in 1830, with Sodeke as her leader. The initial name of Abeokuta was “Oko Adagba” meaning “Adagba’s farmstead”-Adagba was an Itoko farmer. Sodeke who led the Egbas met him there. Abeokuta means ‘under a rock’, signifying the protection which the Olumo Rock offered the Egbas during attacks. Since the discovery of Olumo Rock, no one has fallen from it. Not even once.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13297370_images_jpeg_jpegeb6c065c105cfe1af50da1aeadfb7a99 Olumo rock then

Abeokuta has faced many wars, worthy of note are the Dahomey-Egba wars of the 19th century.
Dahomean kings Gezo and Gelele (father and son)were both defeated
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13297882_screenshot20210322233056_jpeg35035faafd890f354589e9160fc75e5f

Do You Also Know That?

Abeokuta is a SwiftTalk Internet and WAN Service Town.

The first church in Nigeria was completed in 1898. The Cathedral Church of St. Peter which is the first church in Nigeria, is located in Ake, Abeokuta, Ogun State.

The first Baptist Church in West Africa and the first local government in Nigeria (Abeokuta South) are in Abeokuta.

The first University in Nigeria should have been located in Abeokuta but due to infighting, it was established at Ibadan as the University of Ibadan in 1948.

The first secondary school in Nigeria was sited in Abeokuta before it was relocated to Lagos as CMS Grammar School due to unknown reasons.

The first hospital in Nigeria, Sacred Heart Hospital, is in Abeokuta and still functioning.

The first bridge in Nigeria (Sokori Bridge-1903) built by a Nigerian (Mr. John Adenekan) without European supervision is in Abeokuta.

The first Newspaper in Nigeria (Iwe Iroyin) was founded in Abeokuta in 1859.Its even rumoured to be the first indigenous language newspaper in Africa
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13297768_109437197702297630684082288521897171494155o_jpeg88a929ae37aa473669514019b2e6e264 a Yoruba version

The first president of the Nigeria Union of Teachers and the first woman to drive a car was from Abeokuta. They both married each other. They were also the first male and female admitted to Abeokuta Grammar School.

The first indigenous Chief Justice of Nigeria (Justice Adetokunbo Ademola) was from Abeokuta. He was the son of the longest reigning monarch (Alake) in Egbaland.

Okukenu Sagbua I, was the first Alake of Egbaland. He was enthroned on August 8, 1854. His descendant, Okukenu Sagbua IV is the current Alake of Egbaland.

Alake Gbadebo I, was the first monarch in Nigeria to visit England on a state visit. He spent 20 days at sea-May 5-25, 1904.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13297952_images2_jpeg_jpegeaa7b646bbf3e81e48bac7a3f797497c

The first time a white man came to Abeokuta on January 4, 1843, everybody (both young and old) left their homes and market places to catch a glimpse of Henry Townsend, the white man.

During the American Civil War (1861-1865) which interrupted the U.S cotton trade to Europe, Abeokuta exported cotton to England.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13297919_images3_jpeg_jpegd27f509609759ba43b8e9f6487603bb9

The most influential woman in the history of Egbaland and the first Iyalode of Egbaland was Madam Tinubu. Tinubu square in Lagos and Ita Iyalode in Abeokuta are named after her. She died in 1887.

In 1893, the Egba United Government was recognized as an independent nation by Britain. She had her own laws. Many developments were made until 1914, when she was amalgamated to form Nigeria. The Sokori Bridge was constructed in 1903 and Abeokuta Grammar School was founded on July 16, 1908.

In 1925, Josiah Jesse Ransome-Kuti (1855-1930) Fela’s grandfather, became the first Nigerian to release a record album after he recorded several Yoruba language hymns in gramophone through Zonophone Records.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/13297947_images4_jpeg_jpeg9f47bf0b994a4097d89d18197817d3e2

The most enlightened clan among the Yoruba tribe are the Egbas. Her chiefs had been interacting with the Queen of England as far back as 1868 which continued till a century later. English and Egba monarchs did exchange gifts.

The only South Westerners ever to rule Nigeria are from Abeokuta (Olusegun Obasanjo and Ernest Shonekan).

It is widely believed that Egba women are more independent than any other Yoruba tribe in the country e.g Eniola Soyinka, Elizabeth Adekogbe and Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti.

Amazing!
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Seun
I don't know why British forced us to join Nigeria. We (Ẹ̀gbá) first caught civilization before others to the point of having an independent government. Why those stupid whites forced we Ẹ̀gbás with the rest of Nigeria is what I don't comprehend.

Nonsense colonialists
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by jneutron4000: 3:47pm On Mar 28, 2021
[s]
EzeNri:

Be guided
[/s]
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 28, 2021
EzeNri:

Are u normal?
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by EzeNri(m): 4:24pm On Mar 28, 2021
gomojam:
Are u normal?
No.
You are not normal
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by Nobody: 7:19pm On Mar 28, 2021
EzeNri:

No.

You are not normal
Gerarahia!
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by neutralmind: 7:56pm On Mar 28, 2021
Good
Re: Abeokuta: Amazing facts You Didn't Know by theTranslator: 11:27pm On Mar 28, 2021
Gbagura:
Ẹ̀gbá isn't Yoruba? You've failed in dividing us. You've left awori and Ìjèbú which you claimed aren't Yoruba to move to Ẹ̀gbá àbi? I'm an egba man and I'm a proud Yorùbá all day all night. You can't seperate me from Yoruba neither can you seperate Yoruba from me.

Igbos telling Yoruba her history. Wonders shall never end.
The ipob guy is confused

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alleged Death: Biafrans, IPOB Mourn "Mentor" Abubakar Shekau / Genocide Going on in Yoruba Land / Nnamdi Kanu Is A Bloody Terrorist - Listen To The Live Evidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.