Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,092 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? (60944 Views)

Drone Footage Of Massive Structures To Be Demolished In Lagos / 795 Houses To Be Demolished For Lagos Fourth Mainland Bridge / House Of Architect Who Demolished Enugu Airport Fence Destroyed By Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by AfroKnight: 8:18am On Mar 30, 2021
brainhgeek:

Yes, but the first step, a survey, would have saved them unnecessary wastage of money and resources and strife with government

A search you mean. Cos if you’re doing survey that means you’ve already paid for the land. Money lost if it is under govt acquisition.

I think the best thing is to go along with a lawyer/surveyor right from negotiations. All the necessary checks will be done and you will settle them small money compared to the cost of losing land.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Calitoscassius(m): 8:19am On Mar 30, 2021
Moneyboyz:

Any money I see from now on I will just leave this shit hole Country for good.

There are no signboard of government acquisition, not everyone knows where to go about these things, this is my second land investment going down the drain ��
This is terribly sad, Nigerian governement is an anti-citizens governement, government that is aways frustrating his people. I am having the same problem at this moment, although they are not claming that my land/property is a government property. apparently it is something to do with a high tension electric, ecowas wire, imagine. What does ecowas wire mean?

What we all landlords are doing is getting together to fight. It is very very wrong what Nigeria is doing to hardworking nigerians.

1 Like

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Kurumaru: 8:23am On Mar 30, 2021
Jaqenhghar:
there was a man like that too in Kaduna. After years of working abroad he retired to settle in KAduna. SO there wont be any issue, he went to the ministry of Land and actually followed due process to get his land and started building. he was almost finidshed when the government came to demolish his house. The same people that approved of the sale of the land were the same guys who went to demolish it. THe man just packed his family and went back abroad
Lol... There are many cases like this, but further investigation into such matters always reveal that the victims usually deal or had dealt with synthetic staffs lobbying around the premise.
The only reason a legimately approved development will be pulled down is because of an over-riding public interest, and such would be adequately compensated.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by bonetalk(m): 8:25am On Mar 30, 2021
Moneyboyz:

There are no signboard of government acquisition, not everyone knows where to go about these things, this is my second land investment going down the drain ��
Sorry bro....
But what were the government officials/ministry of land doing when people started the construction.... If not wickedness...

2 Likes

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by mechanics(m): 8:26am On Mar 30, 2021
Empiree:
does govt compensate for the demolished structures?
Not in all cases o, since the person who sold the land to you is aware that it's a government reserved area.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by PoshTraveler: 8:29am On Mar 30, 2021
illegal occupation of land lmao grin grin grin
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by ewizard1: 8:39am On Mar 30, 2021
obstead200:
at the bolded.....I think u are destined to be a tenant all your life. Na joke ooo
And you think he'll laugh or a joke is what he is seeking now?

1 Like

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Jaqenhghar: 8:52am On Mar 30, 2021
Kurumaru:

Lol... There are many cases like this, but further investigation into such matters always reveal that the victims usually deal or had dealt with synthetic staffs lobbying around the premise.
The only reason a legimately approved development will be pulled down is because of an over-riding public interest, and such would be adequately compensated.
By synthetic staff I take it you mean fake / unauthorized staff.at the ministry.
That is like saying we have fake policemen operating freely at the police station.
My questions are
Why do I have to turn detective and investigate to filter fake staff from the real ones
Why are the staff operating there unhindered?
Why does something as simple as getting land be so complicated ?
And why on earth do you think it's funny?

You see this is why many people prefer to stay abroad. Nothing makes sense in that country

2 Likes

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Jaqenhghar: 9:00am On Mar 30, 2021
RSVP:

I just laugh reading the comments on here .
In as much has we have people who doesn't know which or how to go about getting a valid documents for their properties here in Nigeria, I still want to be 70% of even the lenient ones still got entangled by this govt acquisition property issue . I have see people who had CofO and other valid documents and still yet their house were demolished and when they pushed further with lawsuit and they got frustrated by the already corrupted system and then give up!

I know of one woman, a widow. Afyer saving up for years, she bought land legally and started developing. El-rufai decided he needed the land for something. They demolished everything. Then gave her compensation of 30k.
Then I have a friend in Kano who bought land that the government was advertising. Now they are saying they should pay one big amount of money or else they will revoke the land.
The level of impunity is something else
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by ewizard1: 9:01am On Mar 30, 2021
PoshTraveler:
illegal occupation of land lmao grin grin grin
Whats your Occupation?
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Oracleforce: 9:20am On Mar 30, 2021
Excelboi:
If you believe you bought the property in good faith and clean hands, go and get a lawyer to get an Exparte order for you as soon as possible restraining them atleast to arrest the situation for the time being.

Exparte for State government.....i laugh in Swahili..do our government obey even court order talkless of exparte order that is just for some few days.....

Let him pray and consult those people in charge...it may be that the Ogun state government wants to re-sell the land to them...
Ogun state has all sorts of government acquisition land that people have paid for and were even issued C of Occupancy for 100 years.
Instead of coming here to cry....let him go to the people concern and ask questions...

1 Like

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by NoToPile: 9:26am On Mar 30, 2021
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Tonymegabush1(m): 9:58am On Mar 30, 2021
TemmyT002:

How can someone search?

Go to the land registry office in that state which the property is located, their are lot of ways into owning a landed property in Nigeria which could be either by inheritance or outright purchase, if it's by Inheritance the property will bear it's owner family name if it's by purchasing power even the main family owners name will still reflect then attached will be the name of the person that bought it over.

Another importance of carrying out a search is been in knowing whether the property is mortgaged and encroachment against right of way, some ppl do buy land suited in a lane.

carrying out a search....

To make it official contact a lawyer but if you desire otherwise you can tip some staff of land registry off.

All you need is the beacon numbers of the property..

If the property has no beacon thus if not registered for the first time contact the local registry of that locality, the family name will be there for clarification purpose

1 Like

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by iamclime(m): 9:58am On Mar 30, 2021
Moneyboyz:

So sorry for your loss bro. But as for facts finding, most of the things one needs to know are often available at the Lands Registry at the Government Office. It's just that nobody cares about such things in Nigeria. From personal observation and the past experiences of people I know, I have vowed that I will do a thorough due diligence from trusted sources if I am to purchase any land in the future. Atinporomeh in Badagry area comes to mind. The events of 2010-2011 are not easily forgotten.

1 Like

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by stanley000: 10:06am On Mar 30, 2021
sharone21:
In addition to contacting the ministry and its heads, u can write a passionate, appealing letter to the Governor to intervene.
Back this up with prayers. It is well.
haven't they told u yet? Anything that involves govt is immune to any prayer. Govt is the god on earth but all these can be avoided if he had followed the law. Check well now u will discover the op didnt use a licensed surveyor coz he thought he could could cut cost, look further u might see that the op doesn't even have a building plan because on bricklayer told him it's irrelevant. The op is bleeped at this point
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by stanley000: 10:08am On Mar 30, 2021
pepericozi:
If you do land survey plan immediately you bought it, you would have known that the place had been occupied because the plan would not be approved.

You made a mistake in that regard

cool
offcourse he doesn't even have a survey REd plan. This should be lesson to everyone out there who think they can cut cost and take short cuts
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by femi4: 10:15am On Mar 30, 2021
Moneyboyz:

I just tire bro, those people didn't pay my money till date, I bought another land and developed it and now this is happening. I finished it just 2 weeks ago.
Just go for mortgage housing, seems your destiny doesn't want build from the scratch
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Tunagee(m): 10:33am On Mar 30, 2021
Mille:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if it's Ogshc, it is best to take heart cos they don't negotiate. It will be demolished, maybe not now but eventually.

I'm very sorry for your experiences. Please next time do a search at the land registry to be sure the land is not under government acquisition.

Exactly
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by TemmyT002(m): 10:53am On Mar 30, 2021
Tonymegabush1:

Go to the land registry office in that state which the property is located, their are lot of ways into owning a landed property in Nigeria which could be either by inheritance or outright purchase, if it's by Inheritance the property will bear it's owner family name if it's by purchasing power even the main family owners name will still reflect then attached will be the name of the person that bought it over.

Another importance of carrying out a search is been in knowing whether the property is mortgaged and encroachment against right of way, some ppl do buy land suited in a lane.

carrying out a search....

To make it official contact a lawyer but if you desire otherwise you can tip some staff of land registry off.

All you need is the beacon numbers of the property..

If the property has no beacon thus if not registered for the first time contact the local registry of that locality, the family name will be there for clarification purpose

Okay. Thanks
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by dedoz: 10:57am On Mar 30, 2021
This is painful...just brace up and be ready for whatever happens...Last year someone offered us a land very close to town,off ph rd at 4million...he had issues and needed the money desperately...The reason why we didn't buy it
Was that high tension wire passed through that side,though not through the land but close to it.If one overlooks such things,in future....there maybe regrets.

1 Like

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 30, 2021
Did you buy from the Ogun state housing corporation or from some tout?

If you bought from the housing corporation you should have documentary evidence to show them, always go to the right source when buying land especially government land.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by lookingfly: 12:21pm On Mar 30, 2021
Moneyboyz:
I bought this land last year and developed it this year, Still paying some debts I owe cause the money I had couldn't take it to roofing level so I had to borrow to complete it once and for all.
I'm still praying for God to provide so I can pay off debts and get money to roof the 3 bedroom flat when I received a call from the person I put in charge that people from the ministry of housing are about to demolish the whole house in that area in 7 days.
As I am right now I'm not feeling alright, I don't know what might happen to me if this eventually happens cause na my life savings I put for there.
Property located in ifo/arigbajo Ogun state.
is that you people don't go to state housing authorities check the genuineness of the land and also if it has been gazetted or not? I just hate all those agreement land transactions with the owners of the land without getting my C of O etc first.....it's much safer that way.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Calicoe: 12:56pm On Mar 30, 2021
Wahala
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:13pm On Mar 30, 2021
Moneyboyz:
I bought this land last year and developed it this year, Still paying some debts I owe cause the money I had couldn't take it to roofing level so I had to borrow to complete it once and for all.
I'm still praying for God to provide so I can pay off debts and get money to roof the 3 bedroom flat when I received a call from the person I put in charge that people from the ministry of housing are about to demolish the whole house in that area in 7 days.
As I am right now I'm not feeling alright, I don't know what might happen to me if this eventually happens cause na my life savings I put for there.
Property located in ifo/arigbajo Ogun state.
You should have done a property search in the bureau of lands before embarking. If you have a lawyer that helped you in the deed of that property then he is culpable as well if he hid vital information of the land from you.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by MrPRevailer(m): 2:30pm On Mar 30, 2021
sugarbeesmith:
scammorudeen

Mind your mouth you vain talker.

Did I ask for money or any material thing?
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by lutha: 2:36pm On Mar 30, 2021
Op. the document lacks authenticity. Any staff of the said ministry could do an illegal business with the ministry's letterhead. The document you posted is not properly signed and duely stamped. It can not be traced to any office or authorized person. I hope isn't one of the handiwork of some of smart guys in that department.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by DedeNkem: 3:08pm On Mar 30, 2021
Before buying a land, check it out with the government, so that they won't touch your property in future after approval!

Never ever take short cuts to cut cost!!!!!
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by IjeBos(m): 4:16pm On Mar 30, 2021
Moneyboyz:

Part of me understands what you are saying. But if you had went to the town property office or whatever it is called in your area and they told you it wasn't owned by the government, I would agree. But you didn't do your due diligence and it cost you. It's akin to you buying land that I owned and putting property on it. I would demolish it as well and reclaim my land. The person who sold you the land cheated you, and I would pursue that avenue after you exhaust your efforts in 1.)ensuring that the land does in deed belong to the government and 2). that it is a legit notice.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Cashify: 5:08pm On Mar 30, 2021
Hmmmm
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by sugarbeesmith(m): 6:24pm On Mar 30, 2021
MrPRevailer:

Mind your mouth you vain talker.

Did I ask for money or any material thing?
quilty conscience
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Kurumaru: 10:22pm On Mar 30, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

By synthetic staff I take it you mean fake / unauthorized staff.at the ministry.
That is like saying we have fake policemen operating freely at the police station.
My questions are
Why do I have to turn detective and investigate to filter fake staff from the real ones
Why are the staff operating there unhindered?
Why does something as simple as getting land be so complicated ?
And why on earth do you think it's funny?

You see this is why many people prefer to stay abroad. Nothing makes sense in that country
I don't think it's funny, but we have to take it slow, u can't be too serious here...
Now, to ur questions of synthetic staffs and why they are there; firstly let me explain how most of them got there and why u can't liken it to a police station. Most of them were students on industrial training at a point, while some where Past NYSC members who have decided to be managing demselves before a proper job comes(which in most times never comes as a result of the Naija factor). I am sure police stations don't have I.T and Youth Corp members.

2ndly,it is supposed to be a social/public office therefore there is a limit to which u can scrutinize the influx of people around the premise, there are billboards and posters warning you about impersonators within most of the premises, so it is your duty to knock on a tagged door ask for identifications before getting down with watever.

3rdly, why most synthetic staffs are operating unhindered as u put it, is kind of attached to the 1st reason, they have formed a social tie with the agencies where they served, at the same time the agencies are short of staffs and these same guys serve as helping hands.. I must also state that not all of them are bad. Some of them are even more brilliant than the actual staff who probably got the job based on connect et al.

Lastly u are in Naija, where some people even impersonated a former military head of state inside a fully amoured Aso-Rock, how much more a common civilian public office....
Peace bro...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cost, Estimate For Building A 3bedroom Bungalow In Nigeria (Detailed Info) / Akwa Ibom Begins Construction Of 18-Storey Smart Building / Parapet Roofing Support Building In Ebonyi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.