Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) (59099 Views)

Satellite Images Reveals Traffic Jam Caused By Grounded Container Ship In Egypt / How Much Cargo Can The Largest Shipping Container Ship Really Hold? / 10 Biggest And Busiest Markets In Nigeria That Are Saving The Nation From Hunger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Explorers(m): 11:42am On Mar 24, 2021
* 200,000-ton, 1,312ft-long, 175ft-wide cargo ship called the Ever Given has become stuck in the Suez canal.

* The vessel has turned sideways, blocking one of the world's most vital shipping lanes and causing 100-ship tailback.

* Goods worth an estimated $29billion are currently stuck in the logjam, with another $9.5bn added each day.

Loaded with nearly 20,000 containers, one of the world's largest
containerr ships has blocked one of the world's busiest shipping lanes, threatening 'catastrophic' delays to global supply chains with workers now in a desperate race against time to free her.

The 1,312ft-long, 175ft-wide, 200,000-ton MV Ever Given drifted across the entire width of the Suez Canal in Egypt around 7.40am Tuesday and became wedged with her bow out of the water against the eastern wall and her stern wedged against the western one.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9396611/Suez-Canal-blocked-cargo-ship-Given-runs-aground.html?ito=social-facebook
Lalasticlala

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Explorers(m): 11:44am On Mar 24, 2021
The Ever Given is now aground with its bow lodged in the eastern wall of the canal.

Workers are attempting to dig the bow free while tugboats try to shove it back into the waterway but efforts have so-far proved unsuccessful.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Explorers(m): 11:44am On Mar 24, 2021
The Ever Given was part of a 20-ship convoy heading north through the canal, from Suez Gulf into the Mediterranean, and since becoming stuck has caused a 100-ship tailback.

Every day the canal is blocked means over 10 per cent of world's oceangoing trade cannot move as it should, with 50 ships being added to the massive traffic jam building up around the canal.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Explorers(m): 11:46am On Mar 24, 2021
Virtually every tugboat in Egypt has been sent to try and pull or push her off the wall of the canal, while workers are trying to dig out the canal walls and refloat her, bringing her steering back online.

Efforts have been underway for almost a day, but have so far proved fruitless. The task resumed on Wednesday morning, with no estimate as to how long it will take.

If tugboats and diggers aren't enough to free the vessel, then they only other option is to starting removing weight either by dumping fuel or unloading cargo, piece by piece.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Explorers(m): 11:46am On Mar 24, 2021
Seen from above

Evergreen, a Taiwanese shipping company which owns the vessel, says a freak gust of wind blew the ship off course before it became struck after which it lost power and steering.

Egyptian officials overseeing the rescue operation discuss their options from on board a tugboat, as the stricken Ever Given is seen through the window.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Explorers(m): 11:47am On Mar 24, 2021
The Ever Given became stuck around 7.40am Tuesday, local time, and remains across the canal this morning.

Tracking data shows virtually every tugboat in Egypt has been diverted to help the rescue effort.

Ship tracking data reveals the extent of the vessels building up on either side of the stuck ship, with 100 of them thought to have been caught up so far and 50 more arriving per day.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Explorers(m): 11:48am On Mar 24, 2021
The Suez Canal is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, connecting Europe with the Far East.

The Suez canal, which is around 120 miles long links the Persian Gulf and the Mediterranean and is the shortest shipping route between the Atlantic and the Indian Ocean.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Righteousness2(m): 11:48am On Mar 24, 2021
Nothing Suprises me in these crazy times!
The World itself has turned upside down.
It's unfortunate that the News Media do not show 20% of Events Shaking the world right now.

Something huge is on the Horizon !
Live Prepared!
JESUS is Coming

51 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by DAramis: 11:49am On Mar 24, 2021
Wetin the ship pilot dey do that he or she can't navigate in that small route?

1 Like

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Explorers(m): 11:49am On Mar 24, 2021

1 Like

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by dynicks(m): 12:00pm On Mar 24, 2021
Could this be the hand work of JUBRIL AL' SUDANI?...

I mean comparing it with the way buhari has piloted the affairs of this nation...

91 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by GIANTPLUSHUB: 12:06pm On Mar 24, 2021
Mheen! But I trust these oyinbo. They will surely have a way out at the end.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by GOFRONT(m): 12:09pm On Mar 24, 2021
Una sure say no be our cabals dey divert crude oil there so??

4 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Mutemenot(m): 12:12pm On Mar 24, 2021
Another hit from Explorer . The captain of the ship should be punished for his mistakes ... Meanwhile there must be an option before the day runs off, I trust the white when it comes to emergency like this

39 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Professorcplus(m): 12:21pm On Mar 24, 2021
Righteousness2:
Nothing Suprised me in these crazy times!
It's unfortunate that the News Media do not show 20% of Events Shaking the world right now.

Live Prepared!
JESUS is Coming
I tell my brother. Nothing surprised me too in these crazy times! Two corks dey fight because of one chick. I just go buy Pepsi and gala dey watch fight. I kuku feed the hen with my gala dey watch as two of then wan take kill themselves.

Something huge is one the horizon!
Live Prepared!
SANGO (Ina loju, Ina lenu) is coming

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 24, 2021
How this big ship with heavy loads can float on water beat my imagination.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by DenreleDave(m): 12:39pm On Mar 24, 2021
Are you sure about 20000 container abi u r kidding us?

How can it carry 20000 container?explorers

3 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by tillaman(m): 12:41pm On Mar 24, 2021
angry
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by chelseamann(m): 1:04pm On Mar 24, 2021
Thank God it didn't happen in Naija... custom, government and area boys for don begin loot am one by one grin grin

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Kobicove(m): 1:29pm On Mar 24, 2021
How did this happen?

Was the ship trying to make a U-Turn or what? angry

2 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Henix(m): 1:50pm On Mar 24, 2021
Righteousness2:
Nothing Suprised me in these crazy times!

Live Prepared!
JESUS is Coming

Nairaland's resident pastor

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Henix(m): 1:53pm On Mar 24, 2021
I don't want to hear that my container was among the ones that were thrown away while trying to reduce the weight of the ship

26 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Weirdoo: 2:00pm On Mar 24, 2021
Henix:
I don't want to hear that my container was among the ones that were thrown away while trying to reduce the weight of the ship
Omoh
Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by SKhanmi: 2:52pm On Mar 24, 2021
Freak gust of wind? Bullshit. Is the captain an amateur? This smells like sabotage.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Kccheechy(m): 3:00pm On Mar 24, 2021
DenreleDave:

the vessel with the biggest capacity takes 24000 containers at once

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Explorers(m): 3:10pm On Mar 24, 2021
DenreleDave:

20,000TEU. The containers you're seeing above deck is nothing compared to the ones below deck.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by ifeoluwapo25977: 3:14pm On Mar 24, 2021
Wetin the ship pilot dey do that he or she can't navigate in that small route?

1 Like

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by qualityovenbake(m): 3:27pm On Mar 24, 2021
Wow, she's a big ship indeed.

4 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by tutudesz: 3:32pm On Mar 24, 2021
Was the captain high Not to notice the ship movement on time.

5 Likes

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by budaatum: 4:36pm On Mar 24, 2021

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by Generalwoodz(m): 4:43pm On Mar 24, 2021
tutudesz:
Was the captain high Not to notice the ship movement on time.
Maybe there side mirror been break and they didn't replace it

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giant Container Ship Ran Aground, Blocking World's Busiest Shipping Lane(Pics) by tutudesz: 4:57pm On Mar 24, 2021
Generalwoodz:
Maybe there side mirror been break and they didn't replace it
Side mirror grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 5 Reasons Buhari Banned Bitcoin - Dr Kemi Olunloyo / South African Student That Squandered N392m Accidentally Found In Her Account / Biography Of Taiwo Afolabi, SIFAX Group CEO, Owner Of Shipping Company, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.