Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,959 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio (36437 Views)

Prof. Peter Ogban Jailed For Rigging For PDP - Akpabio / Peter Ogban: PDP Hails Court For Jailing APC Rigging Prof / Announcing Or Publishing A False Election Result Is A Criminal Offence - INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by SocialCritic: 2:22pm On Mar 25, 2021
The Akwa Ibom State High Court 2 sitting in Ikot Ekpene, has found Professor Peter Ogban guilty of the case of electoral fraud levelled against him by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

INEC had taken Ogban to court on a two-count charge of fraudulently tampering with the election results in favour of the All Progressives Congress (APC) party during the 2019 General Election in Akwa Ibom North-West Senatorial District.

Ogban, who acted as the Collation/Returning Officer during the National Assembly elections, was standing trial for allegedly manipulating and falsifying the scores of election results in Oruk Anam and Etim Ekpo local government areas in favour of the All Progressives Congress (APC) party.

Godswill Akpabio, the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, was the APC candidate in the election.

He was seeking a return to the Senate after he defected from the PDP.

The PDP’s candidate, Chris Ekpenyong, a former deputy governor in Akwa Ibom State, defeated Mr Akpabio in the election which was gripped by pockets of violence.

In his ruling, the Presiding Judge, Justice Augustine Odokwo, sentenced the accused to 36 months of correctional service and told to pay a fine of N100,000 for count 2 and 1 respectively, after the accused had pleaded for leniency.

Plea for leniency

The accused had pleaded for mercy on the premise that he has dependents including a 90-year-old mother to take care of, adding that he was a respectable member of his community and a very valuable and sought after lecturer in the Department of Soil Science, both in the Universities of Uyo and Calabar.

He said: “If I lose my source of income, it means all of my dependents I have mentioned will suffer, especially the condition of my aged mother.

“This is an eye-opener for anyone who participates in local, state or national activities to do so with dexterity and not take anything for granted to avoid an innocent person being embarrassed.

“I plead that you grant me 100 per cent mercy and allow me to go and continue with my responsibilities”.

‘Pardon me’

Earlier, Counsel to the defendant, Anthony Ekpe, had prayed the court to pardon the accused, saying the act for which Ogban was found guilty had no effect on the said elections.

He argued that as a Professor of Soil Physics and Conservation, the accused was highly sought after in the academic world and should not be deprived of his freedom.

“It was just a blip in the entire election process and cannot be said to have been to the detriment of the party said to have suffered.

“It could just as well have been an oversight or a mistake.

“We plead with my Lord not to deprive the accused of his liberty and seek particularly for another form of punishment.

“We plead that the court temper justice with mercy,” he stated.

‘We will appeal’

But upon the judgment of the court, Ekpe said the accused will file for an appeal.

Also speaking, Counsel to INEC, Clement Onwenwunor, applauded the court for the novel ruling on the electoral fraud case, saying, “the court’s judgment is commendable”.

He said the law for which the accused was found guilty makes provision for an option of fine or 36 months in imprisonment without an option of fine, but pleaded with the court to be merciful to the accused.

https://dailytrust.com/breaking-court-jails-professor-for-announcing-false-election-results-for-akpabio-in-2019

2 Likes

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by Anigreat: 2:24pm On Mar 25, 2021
shocked

Serves the fraud man right.

Crook Akpabio after squandering Akwa Ibom oil money on frivolous things, still wants to go and loot Ikot Ekpene senatorial district, but God disgraced this crook to the highest point.

With the little resources coming Udom's way, he has been able to transformed Akwa Ibom state to that envious height, what a great feat! and he's not slowing down anytime soon unlike the crook called Akpabio who raped Akwa Ibom anally without nothing to show for except the over hyped stadium.

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by lamentor78(m): 2:25pm On Mar 25, 2021
And in return they gave Akpabio appointment, please the man should go and serve his terms in jail

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by Dailybell(f): 2:28pm On Mar 25, 2021
Good for him.
Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by blowjob: 2:32pm On Mar 25, 2021
grin grin grin

CLOWNS
Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by Racoon(m): 2:38pm On Mar 25, 2021
Meanwhile, Godswill Akpabio was grandstanding that the uncompromising Mike Igini was his albatross during the said election? Where is that Dansuqi/Garfield of a guy?

Just imagine this nonsense among the many that has happened under INEC in this dispensation.Electoral fraud is as good as civil criminal case hence must be prosecuted and justice served.No room for any shitty plea for clemency.You do the crime, you also do the time

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by Omihanifa: 2:41pm On Mar 25, 2021
Politician don finally succeed in sending this one to jail grin

Instead of him to do his job and leave the place he was busy involving himself in politics

12 Likes

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by Millimann: 2:42pm On Mar 25, 2021
In spite of the malpractice, the APC still lost.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by IgweOfNnewi: 2:48pm On Mar 25, 2021
Ogabane
Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by nsiba: 2:49pm On Mar 25, 2021
Very very very delicious news!

A very stupid man following politicians that got no shame, plz send him to life imprisonment

16 Likes

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by vikithor(m): 2:54pm On Mar 25, 2021
at last someone is caught and tried.inec do well on this case. learn how to drive better

1 Like

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by IJOBA11: 3:03pm On Mar 25, 2021
FERGIE001 DANSUQI GARFIELD1 SENATORDAVE1 KAHAL29
Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by garfield1: 3:09pm On Mar 25, 2021
IJOBA11:
FERGIE001 DANSUQI GARFIELD1 SENATORDAVE1 KAHAL29

That man is from my area
Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by IJOBA11: 3:13pm On Mar 25, 2021
garfield1:

That man is from my area
WHATS YOUR TAKE ON THE RULLING undecided

3 Likes

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by longetivity(m): 3:16pm On Mar 25, 2021
Akpabio and corruption

6 Likes

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by triple996(m): 3:50pm On Mar 25, 2021
angry
the problem is all over the country
if it had happened in the north or west yamuri people go destroy d thread with insult. bt since na their slave masters (Niger Delta) they no burn them well to talk nonsence. grin why yamuri de fear there neighbors na??

1 Like

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by EMMY76: 4:28pm On Mar 25, 2021
What about all the nigerian proffessors that were used to rigged buhari back to power in 2019 who is going to jail them?

9 Likes

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 25, 2021
Akpabio is a criminal.
Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by Teewhy2: 4:44pm On Mar 25, 2021
He said: “If I lose my source of income, it means all of my dependents I have mentioned will suffer, especially the condition of my aged mother.

Did he consider this when he was carrying out the criminal act.
The president who doesn't like corruption should also remove the person the prof worked for from his cabinet.

4 Likes

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by recievesense: 4:44pm On Mar 25, 2021
grin
Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by SILVERLINES: 4:44pm On Mar 25, 2021
grin
Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 25, 2021
They would arrange a pardon for the man pretty soon. Na today?

You can trust APC for that. Aregbesola granted clemency to convicted murderers to mark his first anniversary as governor.

2 Likes

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by Xcelinteriors(f): 4:46pm On Mar 25, 2021
Good
Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by Prussian: 4:46pm On Mar 25, 2021
Omihanifa:
Politician don finally succeed in sending this one to jail grin

Instead of him to do his job and leave the place he was busy involving himself in politics

They never learn. They keep allowing politicians mess up their careers.

4 Likes

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by emmylight4u: 4:46pm On Mar 25, 2021
...but Akpabio is walking free

4 Likes

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by OfficialGaGa(m): 4:46pm On Mar 25, 2021
hallelujah

1 Like

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by Lexusgs430: 4:47pm On Mar 25, 2021
Shame......
Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by Balistic4: 4:47pm On Mar 25, 2021
and where is the akpaamu sorry akpabiola haaaa my keyboard let me start again

where is the akpamu guy sef. chai the keyboard still cast tongue tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: Professor Peter Ogban Jailed For Announcing False Election Results For Akpabio by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 4:47pm On Mar 25, 2021
Akpabio and Apc has put this man in trouble and abandoned him

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

13 More People Join Gej's Trekker [Photos] / ‘Nigerian Public Varsities Graduates Are Brainless - Atiku Abubakar / Kano Govt Marks Shopping Plazas, Filling Stations For Demolition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.