Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? (33310 Views)

"I Met My Engineering Classmate Riding Keke Five Years After Graduation" / Lady Quits Bank Job After Getting Offer In Dubai, Gets There & Told No More Work / 15k Salary Job....life After Graduation Is Hell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by A305: 1:13pm On Mar 26, 2021
Never really looked for a job. Thanks to the moniker 'Lucky4real28' from way back.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by VTJN(m): 1:35pm On Mar 26, 2021
Venerable612:

OP it took me 2 (two) weeks back then.

Finished Law School in Nigeria - I was going by flight to Abuja for the call to bar ceremony.

I just asked the young lady in front of my seat if she was going to Bwari as well - as I needed company in the chartered taxi.

Turns out she was 10 years at the bar already! And was working with the Securities & Exchange Commission. OMG she looks so young, even till date, you will never tell.

Long story short we exchanged contact. Told her I needed a job in Abuja and I wanted to run away from the hussle and bustle of lagos.

She asked me to send my CV. OP, this woman sent my CV to almost all the Big Corporate Law Firms in Nigeria - and I got emails from about 5 of them. It was now just a matter of choice for me - but I later decided to settle fr Lagos because that was where the real Banking & Finance legal works was really Practiced.

Might I add that I Made First Class both in my Under grad (LLB) and at the Nigerian Law School (BL) - so perhaps that was a factor.

Moral:
Always be confident to speak with people about your job need, even the person sitting next to you in church - in a bus - restaurant etc. But I guess again it's boils down to your conversation and social skills. There are books you can get online on how to improve your social skills (see e.g. How To Win Friends and influence People by Dale Carnegie).

This approach helped me a lot when I was seeking internships back then - in some instances, I literally sent random Inmail to industry experts in my field on LinkedIn. Many times the traditional online applications and sending of CVs just may not be enough.

Hope this helps someone out there. Thanks smiley
Make me too do like you, could you please help me with a job?

Though didn't had first-class, but not too far from first-class. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by fatymore(f): 1:44pm On Mar 26, 2021
Still looking for one cry
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by GreaterFuture3: 2:23pm On Mar 26, 2021
wevy:
7 years later..got my first 6 figure paying job. All those years of experience on low paying jobs eventually paid off.

To those saying start a business, not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur. Some people do better as part of a system!
Look at you today now, driving your Own Car

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by GreaterFuture3: 2:24pm On Mar 26, 2021
wevy:
7 years later..got my first 6 figure paying job. All those years of experience on low paying jobs eventually paid off.

To those saying start a business, not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur. Some people do better as part of a system!
Look at you today now, driving your Own personal Car

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Erums(m): 3:23pm On Mar 26, 2021
wevy:

Hi
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by DhatPeacefuldud(m): 4:01pm On Mar 26, 2021
timibare:
guyyyyyyyyyy ordinary choir practice, u don rush go call Celine Dion
Lol Imagine!

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by GambaOsaka: 4:01pm On Mar 26, 2021
Took me 6 months after youth service.

I remember leaving the house every morning, harmed with photocopies of my CV, University certificate and NIM membership certificate.

I practically dropped my CV at the security post of every single company on Oba Akran, Ikeja. Then I went to the websites of these companies and dropped my CV at the career portals and sent applications for non existing vacancies to the emails I found on their websites.

It only took 3 months, I got an invite for an aptitude test at one of them. Later spent 5 years with the company at various locations in Nigeria.

Cast your bread upon the waters, one day e go catch better fish.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Karleb(m): 4:45pm On Mar 26, 2021
Michelle55:

Don't be offended oh, how many people have you employed since you started your own company?

You seem to have forgotten that all fingers ain't equals and one needs to start from somewhere, so what has poverty mentality got to do with job opportunities?

Kuku employ me because I'm looking for a job too( and please make it a 6figures salary too)

The person that would mentor him, didn't he start from somewhere or he/she became a mentor from their mom's womb?

Let us always take time to assimilate topics before commenting to avoid unnecessary remarks.

Don't mind that fellow.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by BrainSanitizer: 8:00pm On Mar 29, 2021
House1411:
Good evening.

How long did it take you to get a good job after GRADUATION and NYSC?

If you have a story or words of encouragement you can feel free to drop it too.
How do you define a good job?
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by modsfucker: 8:01pm On Mar 29, 2021
House1411:
Good evening.

Basically not even a single day, cos I got retained at my lucrative PPA.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by CsRockefeller(m): 8:01pm On Mar 29, 2021
HRHQueenPhil:
poverty mentality. Why can't u be doing business now and help employ ur mates ? Look for a mentor to train u, then start something. Working for someone is a sign that u need deliverance in poverty mentality. Apostle'joshua Selman and Steve harris can cure u

A big fool you are.

Never knew you are this empty.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Lionelbhass(m): 8:02pm On Mar 29, 2021
Rickbronz:
If you graduate from a university and you come out looking for someone to employ you, then you are one of the problems of this country. With the knowledge and enlightenment you've gained from school, you should be the one employing and empowering people.
There are several businesses one can start building now which requires little capital but with a potential for massive returns in the long run.
I see.........

You are one of the insurgency this country has refused to flush out.

4 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Okortor: 8:02pm On Mar 29, 2021
O
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Mar 29, 2021
3 months

The longest 3 months of my life

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Amanee(f): 8:03pm On Mar 29, 2021
After graduation, four years

After NYSC, same month I passed out

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Cti28(m): 8:03pm On Mar 29, 2021
Rickbronz:
If you graduate from a university and you come out looking for someone to employ you, then you are one of the problems of this country. With the knowledge and enlightenment you've gained from school, you should be the one employing and empowering people.
There are several businesses one can start building now which requires little capital but with a potential for massive returns in the long run.

See as e easy for your mouth.

Which knowledge and enlightenment does an average Nigerian University offer?

As far as Nigeria is concerned, a person who grew on the street, has more potential to succeed than someone who spent all his years pursuing certificate.

Do you think starting a business is that easy, especially in an unfriendly environment as ours? I have seen a lot of business, which were adequately funded gone down within a short period.

I am graduate and I have a lot of business ideas, but one of the major hinderances is finance.

No business can grow, without adequate financial input, determination, risk, knowledge, wisdom, smartness (not craftiness) alert, trust, gift, e.t.c

Currently #500000 is like #50000 and with the way things are going, it could go as low as #5000

By the way, we all cannot be employers of labour.

13 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by brownbib(m): 8:04pm On Mar 29, 2021
I like the word GOOD, because there are still some jobs that seem struggling. Better than none tho!
Jah bless us all
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Okortor: 8:05pm On Mar 29, 2021
Got job during my IT and since then I never had any reason to apply to any job till date.

Na grace
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Kingdemu: 8:05pm On Mar 29, 2021
I was lucky to get a job 3wks to my POP. Though my service was delayed as I got mobilised 2yrs after graduation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Mar 29, 2021
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:06pm On Mar 29, 2021
I never did but I'm doing great. I have to thank God for giving me the initiative to go to an ICT college immediately after uni as soon as got the info that service was going to be delayed for 2 years. Now I have a contract with a tech company abroad and I'm doing fine. Never expect a good job in Nigeria. If it happens, thank God.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by madridsta007(m): 8:06pm On Mar 29, 2021
House1411:
Good evening.

Mine was immediately.
Then moved from there and served (NYSC) in a great place.
Then was retained there.
Then went for a Masters in the States.
Continued with a PhD in the US.

1. It was purely God's mercies and grace.
2. When it comes to miracles, God doesnt function in a space- that is magic. He told Moses, "what do you have in your hands?" The word came to the widow, "go and borrow vessels; borrow not a few". She had small oil too. I had quite a few "things" in my hands, by His grace.
3. I was very proactive and never said no to anything assignment or task.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by pallydora(f): 8:06pm On Mar 29, 2021
timibare:
my fwend will u keep quiet
��..I love this response...
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Adakintroy: 8:07pm On Mar 29, 2021
All jobs are good learn from it.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Lavisha(f): 8:07pm On Mar 29, 2021
5 years
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by donteddy(m): 8:07pm On Mar 29, 2021
2weeks before POP.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Muhylonaire007: 8:07pm On Mar 29, 2021
grin
Make I siddon read
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Mar 29, 2021
Why don't graduates show off their statement of result, the same way they show off their nysc cert .
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by vhuqnl(m): 8:09pm On Mar 29, 2021
Rickbronz:
shut up your big dirty mouth

3 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Good Job After Graduation? by clericuzzio(m): 8:10pm On Mar 29, 2021
Completed my NYSC in 2017. Was Job Hunting till 2018 when I started my training school in July 2018. But now I desperately need a biz of my own, only that Nirsal is just f**cking me up and not responding wella

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Vacancies At Intercontinental Bank Plc / 4 Costly Mistakes Why Fresh Graduates Remain Unemployed / This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.