Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

NBA Stars And Their Religions - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / NBA Stars And Their Religions (161 Views)

Bayern Munich Stars And Wives Attend Glamorous Christmas Party (Photos) / Super Eagles Stars And The Cars They Drive (Photos) / NBA Stars Left In Shock After Mid-flight Collision Left Plane's Nose Smashed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

NBA Stars And Their Religions by jumxie(f): 10:37pm On Mar 25, 2021
It’s a known fact that there is an existence of several religions in the world; as such, every occupant on the face of the earth is expected to have their respective religions.

Meanwhile, due to the glamour and fame that’s showered on sports superstars, lovers and followers of these sportsmen and women tend to be oblivious of the fact that there’s a place for religion even in the sporting space.

For example, in 2020, when Orlando Magic’s forward (Jonathan Isaac) refused to kneel for the national anthem or wear a Black Lives Matter T-shirt over his jersey during an NBA seeding match against Brooklyn Nets, he was thrown into the global spotlight.

He became popular afterwards, stating that kneeling or putting on a T-shirt isn’t the answer. His words: “I don’t think that kneeling or putting on a T-shirt for me, personally, is the answer, I feel like for me black lives are supported through the Gospel. All lives are supported through the Gospel.”

As expected, criticisms followed his stance in the match against Brooklyn Nets and the interview he granted after the match, but majority members of the NBA fraternity applauded and stood with the American. But little did Isaac know that he had set an example worthy of emulation through his faith.

NBA Stars And Their Religions
Hakeem Olajuwon – Retired (Muslim)
Retired Nigerian-American NBA legend was a famous undisciplined trash-talker in his days as a player. He had numerous brawls with players and officials as well as picking up several fouls in his colorful 18 year career.
But later in his career, The 12-time NBA All-Star developed a strong interest in spirituality and became a devoted Muslim. Olajuwon changed the spelling of his name from Akeem to the more conventional spelling of Hakeem, saying that he corrected it.

READ ALSO: Eight Messi and Ronaldo Records That Will Never Be Broken

Stephen Curry – Golden State Warriors (Christian)

Probably “Chef” is the most outspoken and grounded believer of Christ in this list. There have been instances where Curry would point to Christ in heaven when granting interviews and also does it when on the basketball court.

Curry once stated that “Each game is an opportunity to be on a great stage and be a witness for Christ. When I step on the floor, people should know who I represent, who I believe in.”

The 33 year old who shares the word of God with his teammates revealed that he points to God to remind himself that he plays for him and that he hits his chest to represent that his heart belongs to God.

Kenneth Faried – Zhejiang Lions (Muslim)

READ MORE: https://sportyleagues.com/nba-stars-and-their-religions/

(1) (Reply)

100% Success Last Week, Betting Tips For The Weekend / I Am Available To Help Bordeaux Despite Super Eagles Contract – Rohr / All Pedri Goals & Assists For Barcelona

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.