Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,903 members, 7,806,639 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:35 PM

Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria (375845 Views)

Chinese Man Rocking Yoruba Traditional Attire (Photos) / Traditional Attire Of Ivory Coast / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by EzeUche3(m): 4:21am On Apr 24, 2011
Igbo

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by EzeUche3(m): 4:22am On Apr 24, 2011
Igbo

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by EzeUche3(m): 4:23am On Apr 24, 2011
Igbo

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by EzeUche3(m): 4:24am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by EzeUche3(m): 4:27am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 4:28am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 4:35am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 4:44am On Apr 24, 2011
Yoruba

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX35Gl0qdCXx8JdwqIJP4MtmQu4tjLe1jthT6qccfFVKyIxrWt&t=1[/img]

Too much airbrush jor

I love their color combination.
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 4:44am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by EzeUche3(m): 4:55am On Apr 24, 2011
Igbo

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by EzeUche3(m): 4:56am On Apr 24, 2011
Igbo

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by EzeUche3(m): 4:57am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by EzeUche3(m): 4:58am On Apr 24, 2011
Igbo

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:01am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by EzeUche3(m): 5:02am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:40am On Apr 24, 2011
Yoruba with Indian influences

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:43am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:43am On Apr 24, 2011
Hausa-Fulani

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:45am On Apr 24, 2011
Yoruba

Too much swag! lol
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:50am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:57am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:59am On Apr 24, 2011
Yoruba

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:03am On Apr 24, 2011
Hausa or Fulani

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:14am On Apr 24, 2011
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:15am On Apr 24, 2011
Kalabari (resembles the Binis)

Efik

Hausa

Bini

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Meyan: 12:18pm On Apr 24, 2011
What makes these “modern” attires peculiar to a specific tribe? Is it the designer who designed the clothes or the person wearing the clothes? Or maybe it is the fabric used? Because they all look the same to me especially those of the women, apart from maybe the more “traditional” ones and the headgears that are easily identifiable. Just curious though.
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by THEAMAKA(f): 3:48pm On Apr 24, 2011
Meyan:

What makes these “modern” attires peculiar to a specific tribe? Is it the designer who designed the clothes or the person wearing the clothes? Or maybe it is the fabric used? Because they all look the same to me especially those of the women, apart from maybe the more “traditional” ones and the headgears that are easily identifiable. Just curious though.
same thing i thought. how is Omotola's dress even anything Yoruba or traditional for that matter?  undecided
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 24, 2011
Meyan:

99% of the attires I posted where designed by Yoruba people and worn by Yoruba people, but not worn exclusively by the Yorubas.
Modernization includes the type of fabric used, the design of the attire, and the accessories that comes with it. More than 50 years ago, the Yoruba attires were not as fashionable.

Compare this Yoruba woman in the 1950s to the ones posted on this thread Our head ties were not as sophisticated, our cloth not as colorful and beautiful etc

[img]http://images.library.yale.edu/madid_size1/22593/005197.jpg[/img]

Nobody can argue that the headtie began with the Yorubas and we'll continue to modernize it lol.

1 Like

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Meyan: 4:40pm On Apr 24, 2011
I am not so much of a fashion buff but these "modern" designs are what I see across Nigeria and West African countries. But since you have stated that they are not exclusive to Yoruba, I can understand, and I guess modernization affected the African dress sense in general.

Nobody can argue that the headtie began with the Yorubas

The jury is still out on that one.
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 24, 2011
Meyan:

I am not so much of a fashion buff but these "modern" designs are what I see across Nigeria and West African countries. But since you have stated that they are not exclusive to Yoruba, I can understand, and I guess modernization affected the African dress sense in general.

The jury is still out on that one.
Don't confuse Yoruba attires with West Africans. Even if they're similar, Yorubas are very distinct. Thanks to Segun Gele, yoruba hearties and costumes have not only spread across west Africa, but other westernized regions as well.
Without any opposing evidence, the jury is useless, no?

In the meantime, post the picture you have.

2 Likes

Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Meyan: 5:23pm On Apr 24, 2011
I am not confusing Yoruba traditional attires with others. It is only the “modern” ones that are confusing to me. I don’t know how to post pictures, but I have this Canoe Magazine of 2009 which featured two Cameroonian designers from the US, and their “modern” designs are not so far from what I see on this thread. Their names are Maryanne Mokoko and Stephanie Mouapi, so you might want to look them up.

And some of the “modern” Igbo dresses posted here are not so distinct from the Yoruba ones either. They look the same to me. So I dunno, maybe it is because I am not a fashion buff, who knows?
Re: Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:32pm On Apr 24, 2011
Meyan:

I am not confusing Yoruba traditional attires with others. It is only the “modern” ones that are confusing to me. I don’t know how to post pictures, but I have this Canoe Magazine of 2009 which featured two Cameroonian designers from the US, and their “modern” designs are not so far from what I see on this thread. Their names are Maryanne Mokoko and Stephanie Mouapi, so you might want to look them up.

And some of the “modern” Igbo dresses posted here are not so distinct from the Yoruba ones either. They look the same to me. So I dunno, maybe it is because I am not a fashion buff, who knows?

I'd love to do a lil research of periodical changes to help you a bit, but I just got done with 2 this semester, so not really interested. Thing is, Yorubas' fashion change, and they change rapidly. The Yoruba attires I posted where designed by innovative Yoruba tailors.

To put it lightly, you can say Nigeria's head gear fashion was influenced by the Yoruba designs. Apart from our headgear and some of our clothing styles, Igbo dresses are no wear close to Yorubas. Look at their modernized clothing; short arm lengths, the wrapper is way different from the Yorubas. While Yoruba 's buba and iro colors are uniformed, Igbos' are different.

Yea, maybe it's because you're not fashion buff. I'm definitely a fashionista and I observe closesly.

At the risk of not derailing this thread, I'd have to stop replying you tho. You can make a thread and I'll def be show upwink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Attire / Igbo Names & Their Meanings / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.