Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,291 members, 7,780,678 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:21 PM

Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 - Politics (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 (57131 Views)

National Assembly Elections, Saturday 9th April, 2011 / Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 / President Jonathan Predicts Stable Electricity By April 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by o9999: 12:01am On Apr 20, 2011
i went to vote and yes there were party agents present (PDP, ACN and CPC mainly),
Even old iliterate men and women came out,
the turn out was shocking (most people went out of thier way and treckked far distances when they had to come and vote) and yes I SAW, dats y the voter turn out was ninety something percent, everyone was shocked.

But the shocking part was,

ALL the agents around were encouraging people to vote for Jonathan,
By this, i mean an old woman wanted to vote for APGA and was looking for "okuko" when d ACN party representative corrected and said and i quote "NO MA, IT IS UMBRELLA FOR TODAY".
The woman said no, dat she does not want the current governor again so does not want umbrella, and the agent went ahead to explain to her dat noo, this one is not governor but president so she shld put umbrella.

Is this wrong, ans = YES, but if u call it rigging, then say this,
In the SE and SS, not a party, but the PEOPLE rigged (here irrespective of the party they belonged to, including CPC encouraged ALL to vote for PDP)

and note too. this waas done for THE PERSON (JONATHAN) noy the party (PDP)
Now whose fault is that?

For
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by solaltd(m): 11:20am On Apr 20, 2011
it is very unfortunate that largest number of nigerian i.e 70% of the population are uneducated , illiterate, lack information about everything, history, economy, society, development, technology, so the corrupt leaders orchestrate them not to have access to this and live in abject povety so that 500 naira and 1000 naira is the solution of there lives in time of election campaign, so for them to justify their foolish act, they say , they know who go enter already let me collect my own money, no money no vote. IGNORANT -ILLITERATE FOOL!.

And very pitious that these large number aswell talk about history of nigeria, politics and general issues through the knowledge obtain from rumour not library.

I observed that average nigerian is not intelligent, but can only strive to get its ends meet. So my friend you know nothing about the politics of nigeria, likewise the history of nigeria. GO AND READ "WHY WE STRUCK" BY ADEWALE AND "THE MAN DIED " WOLE SOYINKA and some historical books about nigerian history, economy and politics.

CPC CONGRESS FOR PROGRESSIVE CHANGE IS A VERY GOOD AND THE FASTEST GROWING POLITICAL PARTY IN NIGERIA AHEAD OF ACN. AND BUHARI IS NOT A CORRUPT LEADER, CHECK HISTORY, JONATHAN IS A GOOD MAN, BUT SURROUNDED BY CORRUPT PEOPLE IN NIGERIA THAT CONTROL PDP, JONATHAN CAN NEVER SUMMON IBB. BELIEVE IT.

WHAT SUCCESS CAN YOU ACHIEVE IN NIGERIA WHEN CORRUPTION IS PREVAILING? PARTY THAT IBB,ABACHA'S SON, ATIKU AND OTHERS. THE MONEY WILL GO OUT FOR DEVELOPMENT AND NOTHING WOULD BE DONE.

HE IS A FORTUNATE MAN ON HIS OWN TO HAVE ATTAINED THE HIGHEST POST FROM GRASS TO GRACE BUT PEOPLE VOTED HIM WITH PITY JUST BECAUSE HE SAID HE HAD, HAD, HAD NOT HAS NO SHOES, OBASANJO SAID MORE THAN THAT ASWELL, BE WISE

CONTACT ME.: passionboy27@yahoo.com

Sola Whyte
Finance Dept
University of Lagos
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by ADint(m): 11:25am On Apr 20, 2011
I really don't get what a lot of people here are saying! If the North West region where Buhari hails from had never produced the president, meanwhile most of the nations revenue comes from their region, what percentage of votes would have gone to a NW candidate in the NW and neighbouring regions??
Let's not also forget that the PDP has been firmly on the ground as the ruling party in majority of the Northern states for 12 years as was seen by the results of the NASS results. All that support base and vested interest in the PDP won't disappear overnight because of Buhari!
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by just4just: 6:51pm On Apr 20, 2011
4rm d reation of buhari so far u wil agree dat hes an extreemist. dis is not d president we want.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by dazangel11(f): 6:57pm On Apr 20, 2011
I thank those patriotic Nigerians and friends of Nigeria who participated in this event and projected to the International Community that Nigeria has had free, fair & credible elections. Now that some of the elections are over, I need to repeat what I said during the campaigns-There are only two types of people in Nigeria-good or bad-not Northerners or Southerners. Let us work towards bringing out the good in us. GEJ
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by dazangel11(f): 8:08pm On Apr 20, 2011
Abacha n Mariam went into Aso Rock, Only Mariam came out. Obasanjo went in with Stella,only Obasanjo came out. Yaradua went in with Turai, only Turai came out, so Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan!!! Hmmmmm. I wish u Goodluck
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by gists: 7:10pm On Apr 21, 2011
dazangel11:

Abacha n Mariam went into Aso Rock, Only Mariam came out. Obasanjo went in with Stella,only Obasanjo came out. Yaradua went in with Turai, only Turai came out, so Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan!!! Hmmmmm. I wish u Goodluck

PLEASE OOOOO, we've been exercising patience for a long time. It will be a major disaster of mammoth proportion is we lose our PATIENCE now (GOD FORBID).
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by biodun70(m): 11:55pm On Apr 22, 2011
Don't let Ukeoma Ikechukwu, Obinna Okpokiri and their NYSC mates die in vain!!
I've actually started a FB group to help get justice for Ukeoma and his mates. The group's name is: justice for Ukeoma Ikechukwu, Obinna Okpokiri et al

Link-http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_179579825426318. Please join and spread the word!

The man died who keeps silent in the face of tyranny-Wole Soyinka
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by dazangel11(f): 12:36pm On Apr 25, 2011
Easter symbolizes a resurrection, a triumphant rebirth after a worthy sacrifice. This is the principle behind the celebration of Jesus' resurrection. I think it is full of meaning that Easter has fallen around the period that Nigerians have made a huge sacrifice for democracy and are experiencing a national rebirth from a past were the field was not so level to a present and future were the floodgates have been opened and all irrespective of creed, ethnicity or region can aspire to any heights or position without any hindrance.

As we celebrate this season of joy, I urge Nigerians to taste and enjoy this sweet soup of democracy and let it invigorate us and usher in a paradigm shifting change in our society ushering in an era in which a man is judged by the content of his character and not his place of birth.

I wish you all a happy Easter celebration. GEJ
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jul 10, 2011
I have just started the following thread on Nigerian political history , compiled using mainly television news reports since 1960.

I would appreciate more sources of archive television video news for Nigeria - especially if it is embeddable on this forums.

Please give your suggestions when you visit the thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=693700.msg8688814#msg8688814

Also can anyone suggest how I could get the thread on the front page wink
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by titanium4: 7:04pm On Oct 19, 2011
I just wish maybe the president could have hired Anthony Prest to be his vice or occupy some other significant role in government. I was thinking minister of Information or something but the i realized this guy can do just about anything, But don't take my word for it. check out the links below

http://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fallnigeriansinspain.com%2Fcomedians-comedy-jokes-music.html&ei=OA-fTumyHI-e-QaR8OiDDQ&usg=AFQjCNFw6YJvCZDOYe1tvD7HADgvoTTFmQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Chief_Anthony_Tosan_Prest
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by governmentharam: 1:00pm On May 08, 2013
Nigeria is becoming a failed state..let's join hands together to take Nigeria,where they are meant to be,the top...follow governmentharam234 @ twitter...................government haram for the people..and no to bad goevernment
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by Kenai: 9:51pm On Dec 17, 2014
smiley
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by Kenai: 10:12pm On Dec 17, 2014
EvilBrain1:
In the spirit of ethnic bigotry, here's my analysis of what will happen in the next few years.

SS
Jonathan's campaign took money from the oil companies so we can guarantee that there will be no end to gas flaring anytime soon. There will also be no serious attempt to clean up the pollution there. Also, GEJ's nonexistent anticorruption record will ensure that the next generation of James Iboris will have little to fear. The Niger Delta people don't even have MEND to fight for them anymore. They are, as always, screwed.

SE
Not much will change here. The PDP will zone all the NASS leadership posts away from there and in exchange they will get 1 or 2 of the juicer ministerial posts. Also, no Igbo man will smell the inside of Aso Rock for the next 30 or so years. GEJ has used their "turn" and will serve 8 years (regardless of what the guy says), then the north for 8 years, then the Yorubas, then the north again, then finally, maybe the Igbos. Corruption at the national level will continue to stagnate the local economy.

SW
Policically savvy, these guys will have their interests taken care of. Plus the ACN governors will make sure there is at least some development at local level. There will still be no light or jobs though.

The North
As always, the ruling class will be well taken care of. The ordinary people will continue to suffer.

In Summary
The biggest winners today will turn out to be the biggest losers as Nigeria's kleptocracy adjusts to the new system. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Lwkmd. So much for "politically savvy" SW.
PDP just won some more states in the region grin
Internet pseudo-intellectual clowns.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by Kenai: 10:50pm On Dec 17, 2014
Desola:
Foolish Southwest! Where is their political "savvyness" in this now? The North never forgets hurriedly and in the scheme of things, [size=19pt]we need the North to return to power[/size]. They have always aligned with us but now we have betrayed them.

The North would be sure to frustrate our efforts for presidency from now on. We know that now, they will never vote a S Easterner but we need the North. However this alignment with the SS is going to cost us dearly because we know that the Easterner s who can never taste power would not vote a Yoruba man due to their sheer hatred for us.  

Bad move SW.

Stockholm Syndrome toh badt grin

1 Like

Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by EvilBrain1(m): 2:37pm On Dec 18, 2014
Kenai:

Lwkmd. So much for "politically savvy" SW.
PDP just won some more states in the region grin
Internet pseudo-intellectual clowns.

Wait, so the PDP winning some states in the SW means the the people there aren't politically savvy? You mean that there are no Yorubas in PDP and that outsiders are now ruling them? I did not know this! This is a disaster! SW people are really not politically savvy at all! In fact they are extremely dull! And I myself am an internet pseudo-intellectual clown, I confess it!

/s

Thanks for reminding me of that old post BTW. Its nice to see how many of my predictions are coming true.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by Kenai: 2:54pm On Dec 18, 2014
EvilBrain1:

Wait, so the PDP winning some states in the SW means the the people there aren't politically savvy? You mean that there are no Yorubas in PDP and that outsiders are now ruling them? I did not know this! This is a disaster! SW people are really not politically savvy at all! In fact they are extremely dull! And I myself am an internet pseudo-intellectual clown, I confess it!

/s

Thanks for reminding me of that old post BTW. Its nice to see how many of my predictions are coming true.

"Political savvy"? Nah bro. The SW is only "Rice savvy" if the Ekiti and Osun elections are anything to go by. grin

Oh, and you seem to forget that, just like the Yoruba, there are Igbos in PDP, APGA and APC as well. So I fail to see where the false sense of exceptionalism comes from.

Notwithstanding, it's still your opinion, and you have a right to it.
Cheers.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by EvilBrain1(m): 7:19pm On Dec 18, 2014
Kenai:

"Political savvy"? Nah bro. The SW is only "Rice savvy" if the Ekiti and Osun elections are anything to go by. grin

Oh, and you seem to forget that, just like the Yoruba, there are Igbos in PDP, APGA and APC as well. So I fail to see where the false sense of exceptionalism comes from.

You seem to be under the impression that I'm from the SW. I wonder how you came to that conclusion given that I've never mentioned my tribe or state of origin anywhere on Nairaland.

In any case, I never said the SW were exceptional. I said that the ordinary people there were politically savvy and therefore able to get what they wanted from their politicians. You can see the evidence of this in the generally more functional state governments there as well as the frequency with which they vote out incumbents. Even the Fayose's "stomach infrastructure" win proves this since Fayemi's academic style and long term policies alienated a lot of people who wanted to see immediate, tangible benefits. In contrast, other regions tend to either vote the same party every election regardless of performance, or vote according to parochial sentiments which is why their politicians are less inclined to actually serve the ordinary people.

Notwithstanding, it's still your opinion, and you have a right to it.
Cheers.

Thank you for acknowledging that.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by Kenai: 7:45pm On Dec 18, 2014
EvilBrain1:

I said that the ordinary people there were politically savvy and therefore able to get what they wanted from their politicians. You can see the evidence of this in the generally more functional state governments there

Until you have actually visited and examined all the states in Nigeria, you are not in any position to conclude that a region has "more functional state governments" unless you're basing your beliefs on the loud and noisy propaganda constantly crapped out on the pages of Nairaland.
For a more serious argument, you'd have to list out the areas in which the governments in the region are performing above the others. Education and National test Scores? Security? Health? Housing? Job Security?
One can't just arrive at a conclusion without adequate facts and figures, and that's the truth.

as well as the frequency with which they vote out incumbents. Even the Fayose's "stomach infrastructure" win proves this since Fayemi's academic style and long term policies alienated a lot of people who wanted to see immediate, tangible benefits. In contrast, other regions tend to either vote the same party every election regardless of performance, or vote according to parochial sentiments which is why their politicians are less inclined to actually serve the ordinary people.

The Imo State incumbent governor (Ikedi Ohakim of the PDP) also lost his re-election bid to Rochas Okorocha of APGA, despite his numerous urban beautification projects. But ummm... Last I checked, Imo State was nowhere close to the South West. Also, if my memory serves me well, the Anambra State incumbent Mbadinuju also lost his re-election bid in 2003.

It's a fallacy to even conclude that losing your re-election is a sign of political enlightenment on the part of the electorate. For all we know, it just might mean the people have been frustrated to their breaking point, don't you think so?

1 Like

Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by EvilBrain1(m): 7:59pm On Dec 18, 2014
Kenai:

Until you have actually visited and examined all the states in Nigeria, you are not in any position to conclude that a region has "more functional state governments" unless you're basing your beliefs on the loud and noisy propaganda constantly crapped out on the pages of Nairaland.
For a more serious argument, you'd have to list out the areas in which the governments in the region are performing above the others. Education and National test Scores? Security? Health? Housing? Job Security?
One can't just arrive at a conclusion without adequate facts and figures, and that's the truth.

I've been to quite a few states myself and I get a lot of info from friends living many others. Admittedly my opinions are biased in favor of states that invest more in roads and other infrastructure, but its still better than swallowing Nairaland propaganda.

The Imo State incumbent governor (Ikedi Ohakim of the PDP) also lost his re-election bid to Rochas Okorocha of APGA, despite his numerous urban beautification projects. But ummm... Last I checked, Imo State was nowhere close to the South West. Also, if my memory serves me well, the Anambra State incumbent Mbadinuju also lost his re-election bid in 2003.

It's a fallacy to even conclude that losing your re-election is a sign of political enlightenment on the part of the electorate. For all we know, it just might mean the people have been frustrated to their breaking point, don't you think so?

I said the frequency of overthrowing incumbents. The SW does it far more frequently than the SE. Besides, Mbadiniju was literally murdering people in the streets. If they didn't vote him out then the Anambra people would have been reclassified as a 3rd species of chimpanzee.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by Kenai: 11:33am On Jan 07, 2015
themano:
With the results i am seeing from all over the North, Buhari will SURELY win the popular total votes. [size=19pt]He is leading MASSIVELY in ALL the nothern states including Plateau![/size] not sure of Benue yet.Not sure if he will get the required 25% in 24 votes.  Even though GEJ is sweeping the south, the figures are not encouraging. Poor turn out of registered voters. Buhari is even winning in Ibadan and won some wards in Lagos. I can smell run off between the 2.

Lwkmd! grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (Reply)

Ebuka Obi-Uchendu: "Who will be Atiku’s First Lady if he wins? Titi or Jamila?" / Desmond Elliot Wins Surulere Constituency With Over 10,000 Votes (Photos) / Boko Haram Terrorists Captured By Cameronian Soldiers ( Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.