Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,108 members, 7,807,341 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:30 PM

Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? (26271 Views)

Is Marrying A Non Christian Really Against Christiandom? / 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol / Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by blackboy2star(m): 8:27am On Mar 28, 2021
Ask yourself if alcohol makes you think or feel right wether in excess or not.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Judolisco(m): 8:27am On Mar 28, 2021
Those that drink look for excuses... U can't have d holyspirit in you and u will drink alcohol
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by ejimatic: 8:28am On Mar 28, 2021
Ctorch:
Is God really against taking Alcohol or Just against excess of It.

Galatians 5:19–21: "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: ... drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God ." Ephesians 5:18: "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to Immoral behavior.

The bible was particular about it drunkeness and not against alcohol.

Further

1. The Bible allows Christians to drink alcohol for medical reasons.
Paul told Timothy, "Stop drinking only water and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illness." (1 Timothy 5:23 )

The Bible forbids drinking if it hinders the gospel.
Paul explained in 1 Corinthians 9 that even though he was allowed to eat and drink anything he wanted, he was very careful not to do things that would hinder the gospel of Christ. He said, "Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many a possible.

Proverbs 31:4-5

4 It is not for kings, Lemuel— it is not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, 5 lest they drink and forget what has been decreed, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.

What do you think God was reallly emphasizing on?
. The excess is what God hates and condemns. Moderation is not bad.Absinence is your choice.1Cor 6 9-10. 1Timothy 5 vrs 23. Prov23 vrs 24- 29 describes the result of drunkenness not a total condemnation of drinking. Everybody decision is however respected

2 Likes

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by clemzo101(m): 8:28am On Mar 28, 2021
Hashabiah:
God's emphasis is on moderation. But those who want to truly commit themselves to knowing God will avoid any manner of drink. Just the way the sons Jonadab the son of Rechab, commanded his children not to drink wine (Jeremiah 35:6)
you also skipped where he commanded them to build no houses of their own, does that make building a personal house bad

5 Likes

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Profadvocate: 8:29am On Mar 28, 2021
Wine us a mocker and they that take it are fools.....pls search ur scripture ..�‍♂️�‍♂️�‍♂️�‍♂️
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by phorget(m): 8:29am On Mar 28, 2021
Excesses of everything is bad.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by jy2kbeyond(m): 8:30am On Mar 28, 2021
Juliusmalema:
God is not against drinking alcohol..

Infact God supports the intake of alcohol even in his Church ( In his presence)

Deutronomy 14 verses 23 - 26

23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always

24 But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the LORD your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the LORD your God has blessed you,

25 then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the LORD your God chooses

26 : And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or strong drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

Even God went further to give approval to Alcohol

Ecclesiastes 9:7  “Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do.”

Even for chemistry alcohol na solution. Abi no be so bros?

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by yusufu16: 8:30am On Mar 28, 2021
This is my best scripture in the bible

Deutronomy 14 verses 23 - 26

26 : And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or strong drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

So God want us to enjoy life to the fullest.

4 Likes

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Kachi11061998(m): 8:32am On Mar 28, 2021
This trend needs 1 keg of palm wine on my table for more illustration.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Nobody: 8:32am On Mar 28, 2021
There's always the tendency to take it in excess. So it's best to avoid it altogether.

Me I drink sha o. Socially. Whiskey once in the while to calm the nerves

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by clemzo101(m): 8:33am On Mar 28, 2021
How about smoking oooo grin
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by jcross19: 8:34am On Mar 28, 2021
tuna85:
God is definitely against drinking alcohol whether in small or large quantity. Those who got addicted today started small, now you can see a decline in their health and all, same as bet9ja.
but Paul advised Timothy to takes small of it? Do you really know that all the starchy food you eat used to end up as -coh and glucose but in very low content... Alcohol is not a sin but it become snare to you when it starts to influence your reason.

5 Likes

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Myer(m): 8:34am On Mar 28, 2021
Electrochemistry:
While moderation may not be a sin lots of people have been turned to drunks and rendered useless from starting with just some sips of it. It is better to avoid spirits in all its forms so we won't get addicted to it. The Bible says a wise man foresees evil and hides himself but a fool goes instead and he's punished.

This should help you differentiate religious teachings from Bible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4OVGQGAzIw&feature=youtu.be

2 Likes

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by jossytech(m): 8:35am On Mar 28, 2021
Hashabiah:
God's emphasis is on moderation. But those who want to truly commit themselves to knowing God will avoid any manner of drink. Just the way the sons Jonadab the son of Rechab, commanded his children not to drink wine (Jeremiah 35:6)

Even water

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Kebbiprince: 8:35am On Mar 28, 2021
lucky999:
the best answer to this question is, God gave every single human being conscience whatever your spirit don't accept, don't do it.

if I may ask you how do you feel after taking alcohol, do you feel messed up or happy.

alcohol doesn't make you happy it just makes you to forget your sense and misbehave.

Allow people to answer for themselves, alcohol makes u whom I quoted forget your sense and misbehave as u said but for others like myself it makes me happy cool

2 Likes

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by donem: 8:36am On Mar 28, 2021
Cooldiipo:
grin our Jesus turned water to wine. How do you ensure you stay within your alcohol limit?Do you need powerbank for laptop, over ten hours guaranteed and twenty hours possible. Increase your productivity and work when you like. Don't get mistaken for a Yahoo boy because of your generator noise. Ready to impress!
and that was Jesus first recorded miracle
in essence wine is good grin
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by SEGLIZ: 8:37am On Mar 28, 2021
CodeTemplar:
In a book filled with analogies meant to communicate the intangible to us, wine is used often to represent the Spirit. New wine in new bottle analogy for example told us about the Holy Spirit in a renewed or born again man.

people takes the Bible like every other literature. this no book like any other, it has an in-depth no one individual can understand except you are in the spirit.
you can never give the meaning of each line of that book with the help of He that inspires it (the Holy Spirit). every script was Holy Spirit inspired and so we need it to teach us what each line meant.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by illicit(m): 8:39am On Mar 28, 2021
Judolisco:
Those that drink look for excuses... U can't have d holyspirit in you and u will drink alcohol

What about Jesus
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Humanoid01(m): 8:39am On Mar 28, 2021
I think moderation is key. The main question here is: why should people drink, apart from for medicinal purposes?
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Probz(m): 8:40am On Mar 28, 2021
Excess but the same thing applies to food-gluttony. Drink and be merry.

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Elostar: 8:40am On Mar 28, 2021
God order selected special men in bible not to take alcohol, if u are special to God don't take alcohol at all

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by muykem: 8:41am On Mar 28, 2021
What is going inside doesn't make us unclean but what's coming outside. Before talking alcohol definitely there's intention coming outside to do it. The judgement will be based on that intention.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Kebbiprince: 8:42am On Mar 28, 2021
Judolisco:
Assistant jesus. Meanwhile jesus turned water to wine tongue

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Reelmii: 8:47am On Mar 28, 2021
ictjobber:

Why aren't we asking real questions like Why hasn't God rescued Leah from Boko Haram's den despite all the prayers from concerned Nigerians and Christains worldwide ??
u should have asked why didnt God save his son from being crucified on the cross,

why don't God save John the Baptist from being beheaded

why didn't God save Stephen from being stoned to death

God is not ignorant of what is happening even if it looks like He is not doing anything about a situation, all need to do is to pray to end well

leah is alive for a purpose, allow God decide her fate, just pray for her

2 Likes

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Nobody: 8:48am On Mar 28, 2021
Juliusmalema:

God is not against any form of alchol taking.

Say what you know.
allah says in baqara chapter 2 verse 196 that do not streghten ur heart to what may cause your own destruction and for that taking any form of alcohol or gogoro is haram islamicaly this shows how qur'an is supperior than everything on earth for taking in everything as a form of alcohol, drugs or syrups with the intention of getting high could lead to ur ow destruction imagine how bible permit drinking alcohol mtww this dumb its only the blinds will eptimone christanity for it a way of destruction , u still have time to repent for verinly islam is the way of life

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by cares22: 8:50am On Mar 28, 2021
Either God approved or disapproved alcohol is not the key issue here... The truth is, what is the place of wisdom in alcohol consumption? It seldom interface with your sense of reasoning and judgement, sometimes stimulate you to do or act in such a that can hurt you or cause varying degrees bodily harm to others.

Alcohol from all indications doesn't go alone... It comes with bandwagon lifestyle, adulterous life, other illicit drugs and so on which are deadly combinations for our lives at different levels.

It is not about whether God approves or not.... We are only looking for God's validation of our wrong doings..... Remember God can never be hurt by your drunkenness.... So he's less interested in your case.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by IQUIT(m): 8:51am On Mar 28, 2021
grin
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 28, 2021
Skipperrabiu:
allah says in baqara chapter 2 verse 196 that do not streghten ur heart to what may cause your own destruction and for that taking any form of alcohol or gogoro is haram islamicaly this shows how qur'an is supperior than everything on earth for taking in everything as a form of alcohol, drugs or syrups with the intention of getting high could lead to ur ow destruction imagine how bible permit drinking alcohol mtww this dumb its only the blinds will eptimone christanity for it a way of destruction , u still have time to repent for verinly islam is the way of life

I am not a muslim and have no intention of becoming a terrorist in future.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Ritztravels: 8:52am On Mar 28, 2021

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by saajus: 8:55am On Mar 28, 2021
Alcohol is not a sin. I don't have the time now, I would have brought a series of Bible verses. Moderation is the key. If a Christian can drink moderately, fine but picking up a Christian brother in the gutter is a big shame. The challenge with many people that drink is how to measure their limits. Generally, many people that drink know their limits but sometimes it fails. Your limit depends on several chemical balance on your body and sometimes if you take some strange food or drug, it could alter the limit. On such days, you will be surprised that you've only taken one bottle and you are already in the gutter.

I don't drink because I might not be able to control it not because it is a sin.

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by oloyedewaris(m): 8:57am On Mar 28, 2021
K
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by mediaX(m): 8:57am On Mar 28, 2021
At the last supper, wine was used, the apostles drank. At the wedding feast at Canaan wine also was used, the guests drank. As a matter of fact, born from proven historical Jewish study, wine formed an integral part of merriment in ancient Jewish culture, a culture the messiah was king of. And those who argue that wine doesn't in all cases mean 'alcoholic wine' are ignorant. Cause wine in itself, and the reason it is called wine in the first instance is due to 'fermentation'. If fermentation didn't take place it is not wine, it is probably fresh juice. And it is fallacy 'petitio principii' to say wine is destructive simply because it is alcoholic; that's like saying 'Timolol' eyedrop should not be used by glaucoma patients to reduce intra-ocular eye pressure; or 'Chloramphenicol' should not be applied to the eye to treat conjunctivitis, cause both contain deliberate levels of alcohol. Need I mention Jesus and his Jewish heritage drank wine for cultural reasons, as it formed a huge part of their culture at the time. Do your research, back in time.

Let me digress a bit, so many things can impair judgement, not only alcohol. Prolonged hunger and self denial of food (total deprival) by itself could impair consciousness and any sane human's judgement yet fasting is never termed sin in christian scripture. Gluttony also is sin when you look at it, as detailed by christian scripture, but not the food in itself, rather the inordinate attachment to food and the greed that fuels such attachment.
Man can get attached to anything, when the usage is abused. And any inordinate attachment is a violation of the freedom of the will, that is what makes it sin. You no longer hold direct control over your decisions. The same way most people are addicted to hustling for money that they neglect time for their children and family: that is sin.

Again, have you wondered why there are different doses for children, adults and pregnant women on medical prescriptions? That goes to tell you that equal measurements do not impact equally in people's bodies. There are no one-size-fit-all definition of tolerance, as tolerance levels differ from individual to individual. 5 pints might make Enoch drunk, but it would require 8 to make Chris and David drunk. So technically Enoch gets the refreshment and no loss of consciousness so long he doesn't go beyond his body limit. And if Enoch does that twice in a month that's beautiful. Self mastery is a skill to be learned, and can be learned, but the underlying virtue is self discipline.

The medication you get at hospitals, contain significant bits of alcohol, and in some painkillers and relaxants you'll find 'clinical marijuana'. Tramadol is a pain killer, many pastors take them after their vigorous all night deliverance service, but in prescribed medical dosage, or possibly overdose, they won't tell you, would they? Codeine which is a potent syrup for cough can utterly cause one to discombobulate when overdosed on it. So you can see two sides of a coin.

The biblical scripture says ' if your hand (wine) shall cause you to sin, cut it off'. Now "if" is a conditional statement, meaning it may cause some to sin (drunkenness) and may not cause some to sin. I am not you, you are not me. The fact that apostle Peter cut off the servant's ear doesn't mean every man would have done same. The fact that peter denied Jesus 3 times doesn't mean every man in the exact same circumstance would have done same. The fact that David slept with another man's wife doesn't mean every man would have done same. The fact say smell of drink dey high you, nor mean say e dey high me, as a matter of fact I reflect better and have more constructive thoughts after a bottle or two. I am not you, you are not me. Your weaknesses are not my weaknesses. As a matter of reality, your weaknesses may be my strength.

For those living in Lagos, you insult people almost everyday in buses, traffic, when driving and when outsmarted. So technically, the intense Lagos life causes you to sin, so kindly leave Lagos please!

For those living in Nigeria, the fraud government causes you to call your leaders bastards. This is sin, and a continual sin because Nigeria's situation would continue to make you call them bastards, so kindly leave Nigeria please!

This thread is funny, there is a condition called 'over hydration', also called 'water intoxication' resulting from drinking too much water. It causes drowsiness and confusion. It is deadly as it causes electrolyte imbalance. So does this mean don't drink water? Hell no.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prophet Uebert Angel Buys Can-Am For Himself / Plateau Killings: Bishop Oyedepo Spits Fire, Lays Curse On Killers / There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.