Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:24 PM

I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! (1367 Views)

I Was Scammed Please Help Out Nairalanders / White Man In Tears, Was Scammed By Nigerian Fraudsters / Man Commits Suicide After He Was Scammed Of 6 Months Visa By An Agent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! by Olayinka8793(m): 6:07pm On Mar 28, 2021
I was encouraged to post this after l read about a similar topic posted on the front page by a female Nairalander yesterday, here is the link : https://www.nairaland.com/6478788/just-been-scammed

It all started two weeks ago. A friend transferred 5k to my account in my presence, he was debited but I wasn't immediately credited. He was supposed to collect 5k from me upon seeing the credit alert on my phone.
I refused to give him the 5k till I see the credit alert, not because I don't trust him but because there was a previous instance he made a transfer to my account, was debited but l wasn't credited and his money returned to him by the bank due to transfer failure. We waited for at least 30 minutes yet no credit alert on my phone. So we agreed that we will have to wait till l see the alert before I could give him the 5k.
By the next day, no alert yet and he wasn't refunded
I thought maybe there was network issues with the alert services, so I logged in to twitter to complain to UBA's verified handle. I composed my complaint tweet and decide to tag the bank's verified handle but mistakenly selected a fake UBA handle. Big mistake. Turns out to be a scammer's handle but l was too stupid enough to notice that it was without the blue verification mark.
Long story short, we ended up on WhatsApp where he asked for my bank details (name and number) which I provide. Damn!
Next was my card details but l don't use cards on the account, because it is a strictly saving only account and l told him.
Next he told me that l would be sent an OTP (One time password) which I must resend to him in our WhatsApp chat.
I received the OTP and foolishly send it to him. All this while, it was like l was jazzed as I couldn't take at least a minute to remind myself "are you sure of what you are doing? "
A minute after sending him the OTP, I received a debit alert of 20k! This was the moment that dawn on me that l was chatting with a scammer, but it was already too late.
Being someone with hearing loss, I had to immediately ask my friend to call the bank's customer care center to report what had happened with the hope that the scammer could be traced somehow and my money recovered. The bank only told me to visit their branch to lodge a formal complaint. I later discovered the bank has also blocked my account due to the scam.
I visited the bank next day to fill a fraud complaint form and they promised to investigate and get back to me.
All the times l was waiting for their feedback, I was also bombarding them on their twitter handle, even tagging the CBN handle to force them to track the scammer via BVN or his phone number.
The twitter handle kept telling me sorry, we apologize for the inconvenience, kindly wait as we investigate.
I got fed up of waiting after two weeks and posted another tweet tagging and accusing them of encouraging scammers by frustrating we their customer's fraud complaints. Upon seeing the tweet, they DMed me and basically told me l don't qualify for a refund because it was my fault for giving the scammer my details, which is true but very painful to hear.
It was at this point l finally gave up hope and locked up depressed.

I was sad reading a post of a female Nairalander going through same pain, but l became happy and hopeful upon seeing her second post of that day thanking kind hearted Nairalanders for coming to her aid by sending her money to recover her loss from the scammer.
I felt l could also be lucky to have kind hearted Nairalanders relief me of my painful scam experience by sending me anything however small. I promised to update this thread with the moniker of kind hearted Nairalanders who sent me anything and the amount sent unless they ask me to keep them anonymous.
For the sake of transparency and to be convinced I am not lying, I will be posting some screenshot pictures of the scam as it happened below.
Insults are welcome please but l have certainly learnt my lessons.

My account details are:
UBA

God no go shame us.
CC: Mynd44 OAM4J

Re: I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! by Nobody: 6:14pm On Mar 28, 2021
brother carry your cross no use your problem disturb person for here..

2 Likes

Re: I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! by LeeSantos(m): 6:19pm On Mar 28, 2021
una never know wetin dey do una for nairaland.
Re: I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 28, 2021
I hungry pass you.
Re: I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! by othermen: 7:08pm On Mar 28, 2021
You are a kind person, trying to notify everyone else to be careful. Thank you!
Re: I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! by AwesomeStormy00(m): 7:45pm On Mar 28, 2021
Serf1:
Quote me anywhere,u will not receive shi shi cos u no get p*ssy.Sha, someone may surprise me.

I don't think female speak like this. Try and be kind bro. Life is too short
Re: I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! by AwesomeStormy00(m): 7:46pm On Mar 28, 2021
Bros it i well shit do happened. Learning curve for everyone
Re: I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! by fergieboy: 8:22pm On Mar 28, 2021
Because of 5000

You don loose 20k

Whenever someone send you money and you didn’t receive it

It’s not your duty to start calling your bank to make complain

The sender is the one to make such complain

3 Likes

Re: I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! by Aaaaarghmed(m): 7:12am On Mar 29, 2021
I really don't know why people go on twitter to chat with a bank rep.it sounds so stupid.if I have issues with my bank and I cannot go to the bank.i simply send dem an email with my complaints and it's being treated quickly.And why will you send someone OTP.i think people need to be enlightened more about this OTP.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! by capitalzero: 7:46am On Mar 29, 2021
Aaaaarghmed:
I really don't know why people go on twitter to chat with a bank rep.it sounds so stupid.if I have issues with my bank and I cannot go to the bank.i simply send dem an email with my complaints and it's being treated quickly.And why will you send someone OTP.i think people need to be enlightened more about this OTP.

I keep wondering too. Are people stupid or naive or careless ? Visit to the bank or e-mail would solve most of complaints.
Re: I Was Scammed, Please Help!!! by nzeobi(m): 12:11pm On Mar 30, 2021
capitalzero:

I keep wondering too. Are people stupid or naive or careless ? Visit to the bank or e-mail would solve most of complaints.
I complain through Facebook too and access bank has good customer care on Facebook but never give out your card details and make sure its always a verified social media account.

(1) (Reply)

Angry Patient Splashes Nurses With Urine For Being "Lazy & Rude" In SA (VIDEO) / How My Nigerian Husband Duped Me Of My Life Savings – American Lady / Man Caught On Tape Producing Fake New Naira Notes That Can Pass For Real Ones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.