Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,089 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company (15665 Views)

How The Nigerian Banking System Is Killing Employee Loyalty. / A Company Director At 29, How Adetola Durojaiye Rose To The Top In Five Years / Jobless Lady Returns Money A Company Mistakenly Paid Into Her Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Kingzjayzee: 8:16pm On Mar 29, 2021
Cholls:
My brother if it's not my papa company loyalty my foot. Wickedness for workplace... You gas wise up...use them before they use and dump you

Use their internet
Use their laptop
Use their WiFi
Use their microwave oven
Use their toilet
Use their power socket
Use their biro
...and jakpa!

2 Likes

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by AntiWailer: 8:17pm On Mar 29, 2021
Move.

Don't be loyal to any company.

Once u have the feeling abt what it is. Just jakpa.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by walexyll(m): 8:20pm On Mar 29, 2021
rottable:
Finally, I have seen someone like me...... Working in a company for more than 6 months makes the job boring and I don't like that. Where I'm working now, I've spent just 4 month and I'm bored already.

I hope this post makes front page for more knowledge people to contribute there opinion.

In as much it is a good one to move across companies, at some point in your career, you have to stay a bit long on a job. Else, you are seen as "not reliable" by potential employers. You will tend not to be trusted with sensitive positions which require stability. No company wants to hire a finance director or project director every year!

10 Likes

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by EMIOMOADEOYE: 8:20pm On Mar 29, 2021
Loyalty does not put food on your table.

For a fresh graduate the max you should stay in a company is 4 years.

From that point on, you are on a 2 year tenure with any company.

As a matter of fact, the moment you get into a new company start looking for a new company.

There is nothing like loyalty ooooh

All those HR shenanigans...they are all ploys to hoodwink you into exploitation.

8 Likes

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Tapout(m): 8:22pm On Mar 29, 2021
Prussian:
Good topic. I learnt my lesson the hard way.

Years ago, I was in a small company, growing up and managing a small team. I was loyal and wasn't looking at outside offers. The funny thing was that my duty had to do with verifying and approving quotes by suppliers and I was being offered good money by suppliers but I never took a kobo.
A rival company wanted to poach me, doubled my salary with a car, I refused cos I was loyal and stupid. Stuck to the place I was using commercial vehicles to run their job. The MD made it look like I was the starboy.

Not too long, the MD started accusing the junior staff of various things and I always defended them. Next thing, he moved out on to accusing me of collecting his clients. That day, I wanted to die. I was accused of something I had never done or even thought of. Even customers with heavy jobs were interfacing with me directly and I finished their jobs end to end without collecting 1 kobo on the side. Out of annoyance, I resigned from the company. No contributory pension, nothing. That's when Starboy turned to Speed Darlington. grin

Na you fvck up by calling you MD a liar.
Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Cholls(m): 8:23pm On Mar 29, 2021
Kingzjayzee:
...and jakpa!
my brother no time
Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Prussian: 8:24pm On Mar 29, 2021
Tapout:

Na you fvck up by calling you MD a liar.

I don add more to the post. Read am.
That thing really pained me.

After I left, the business didn't remain the same as the new guys he employed after I left stole him blind. Covid finally killed the business, closed shop last year.

1 Like

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Web2020: 8:24pm On Mar 29, 2021
Cholls:
My brother if it's not my papa company loyalty my foot. Wickedness for workplace... You gas wise up...use them before they use and dump you

Use their internet
Use their laptop
Use their WiFi
Use their microwave oven
Use their water dispenser
Use their toilet
Use their power socket
Use their biro
It might be difficult for you to even get good job with your mind set. Even if you get one you may not last. God is not partial.

1 Like

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by KillerBeauty(f): 8:34pm On Mar 29, 2021
rottable:
Finally, I have seen someone like me...... Working in a company for more than 6 months makes the job boring and I don't like that. Where I'm working now, I've spent just 4 month and I'm bored already.

I hope this post makes front page for more knowledge people to contribute there opinion.

The only problem with working 6months and leaving for another job, then rinse and repeat is that most employers don't like job hoppers.
Working with different companies is great, but if the length of time is short, it makes one seem unserious.
Also, your CV would just be unnecessarily long.

So at least work for a company for a year plus. Its looks better in the long run

3 Likes

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Asquare84(m): 8:37pm On Mar 29, 2021
There is nothing like loyalty in the private sector there are some company that you stay too long they will begin to scheme how to dispose you, once you gather enough experience just keep changing job.

4 Likes

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by emeka77: 8:39pm On Mar 29, 2021
How many land does a man need?
Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by jaxxy(m): 8:44pm On Mar 29, 2021
Is it ur father’s company? So what loyalty are u talking about? undecided

Ur only loyalty is ur job description. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by famouscargo4u: 8:47pm On Mar 29, 2021
Guy, forget loyalty o. Your company is not loyal to you neither but still keep you because you are relevant and still an asset to the company. Going forward, I feel people should stay In a work environment that gives you peace of mind, very good pay, nice boss, ability to grow(promotion and gaining more experience). However, "the grass is always greener on the other side" BUT before you jump ship, ensure you consider aside the pay, job security, more experience and nice work environment too.

4 Likes

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by okwadatigbogal: 8:50pm On Mar 29, 2021
Never ever remain too loyal to any company. They are not loyal to their employees. They will not hesitate to discard you... Better shine your eyes if you see a better opportunity, please jump ship immediately.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 8:51pm On Mar 29, 2021
Motivational Speakers...

Food don land o..

2 Likes

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by AKAFINA101(m): 8:51pm On Mar 29, 2021
Move Move and Move!!!
Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by speedchariot(m): 8:57pm On Mar 29, 2021
Love your Job not Your Company as you never know when your company will stop loving you

3 Likes

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by buJu234: 8:58pm On Mar 29, 2021
loyalty fire..... nonsense

loyalty only benefits owners of the company oo... the day they are done with u or they want to cut cost.. they will just throw u away like a piece of rubbish..

as for option 2.., after all life itself is a risk full of adventure.., and also via this option, u can grow very fast and increase ur salary fast than option one..

in fact in every 5 persons that made it in Option 1. there are over 100 persons that have been sacked in option 1 due to cost-cutting..

2 Likes

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by stanley000: 9:00pm On Mar 29, 2021
AntiWailer:
Move.

Don't be loyal to any company.

Once u have the feeling abt what it is. Just jakpa.
very true especially in the engineering world, they will disappoint you at anytime so be the first to disappoint them.

1 Like

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Dpharisee: 9:04pm On Mar 29, 2021
rottable:

Great write up Sir,

I personally prefer type B because I am the adventurous type. I love to try new things, acquire new skills and meet new set of people unlike type A that stays at a particular job for years and they might be obsolete in a matter of time.
Why will you quote the whole article, please edit
Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Dpharisee: 9:05pm On Mar 29, 2021
akpunda86:

Company work is waste of time resources and energy

Bros limit ur time in company work and grow. I pity my colleagues I left 25
Years ago in different forms waiting for gratuity . I'm happy today dat I left company work pisses me off doing same thing everyday.

I'm not against guys working but I'm telling u company work never develops. Spending 15yrs in a firm means ull hussle for ur nxt job in a similar firm. Ur age goes with talent waiting for gratuity

Hey bros work briefly in a company and RUN
Why did you quote the whole article, please edit your post
Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by seunny4lif(m): 9:05pm On Mar 29, 2021
Haba
grin grin grin grin grin
Cholls:

Use their internet
Use their laptop
Use their WiFi
Use their microwave oven
Use their toilet
Use their power socket
Use their biro
Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Cousin9999: 9:09pm On Mar 29, 2021
Cholls:

Use their internet
Use their laptop
Use their WiFi
Use their microwave oven
Use their toilet
Use their power socket
Use their biro

lol
Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by eminex(m): 9:10pm On Mar 29, 2021
daewoorazer:
There are two options to climbing the career ladder in the private sector.

A. Staying loyal to your company and gradually climbing through the ranks

Pros
1. You gain a lot of benefit that comes with loyalty. The remunerations and benefits increase as you spend more years within the coy. In some private companies, you may be eligible for pension and gratuity; and in some, your allotted vacation time increases with time.

2. The job becomes easy over time and you get more settled within the job. You’re familiar with the basics, this translates to less stress.

Cons
1. There could be massive competition amongst your teammates. As an example, a group of 20 trainees recruited at the same time will have to compete for like 1-2 positions during promotion. This could get nasty especially in an organization with lots of unprofessional colleagues. The unprofessional ones I’m talking about are the ones who gossip around to bring people down, the individuals who pay with their genitals and the stooges who lick behinds.

2. Your value may be downplayed. Your best bet is to up your game by adding professionalism and excellence to your service; else you’re just another employee they’ve seen all he/she has to offer.

3. Thin/Scanty resume with limited industry experience. Your experience can best be referred to as homogeneous.

4. In a situation where your bosses have favourites, you might be in for a long thing. Your promotion may not come in 10 years especially if they don’t like you; politicking has never left the corporate environment and it won’t end on you.

5. You’re not immune to mass retrenchment.

B. Gaining experience for a limited time and applying for the next position elsewhere.

A valid sample is Mr. A who currently works as a team supervisor with Fidelity bank. Mr. A works for 2 years and applies to GTBank as station Manager. Mr. A works with GTB for 3 years and applies as Regional manager with Ecobank.....and it goes on like that.

Pros
1. If you know how to write mouth-watering resumes, you will climb up the corporate ladder faster than another individual who chose to remain in a particular company for tons of years. Don’t be surprised you may rise faster above your former bosses in your former places of work.

2. You get to meet new professionals randomly and your social game is top notch. You don’t get stuck with racist/hateful bosses/colleagues for a long time.

3. Your resume is hot. If you know what you’re doing, you should be getting employment invitation calls every month. Recruiters love individuals who have worked across different companies in a particular industry.

4. You gain wealth of experience and your management skills improve. You would have managed different types of individuals and this would have properly tailored your management skills towards excellence.

5. You’re hardly a victim of mass retrenchment, Why? You are the one who fires each company before they fire you (if it ever happens).

Cons
1. You may end up with no retirement benefit/gratuity.

2. You have to re-learn, unlearn, learn new procedures every time you change company. This could be tough for the mentally feeble individuals.

3. Your family may be at disadvantage as you may need to carry them around each time you get a new job; especially one that is located in another geographical location.

Add yours

So true
Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Moregreen: 9:17pm On Mar 29, 2021
This write-up is interesting because I can relate every line in the option A to the practices in the coy I work for.
@OP, thank you for taking time to write this. I have a request. Can you come up with a detailed write-up on the pros and cons of working as a contract staff?
Contract staff in the sense that Mr. A was employed by a consulting firm and being posted to work full time in another company, noting that his salary has to move from the coy he works to the consulting firm before getting to him. Thank you.
Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by qanda: 9:23pm On Mar 29, 2021
Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Sainttops(m): 9:26pm On Mar 29, 2021
Cholls:

Use their internet
Use their laptop
Use their WiFi
Use their microwave oven
Use their toilet
Use their power socket
Use their biro

That's if you are lucky enough to secure a job.
Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Ilekokonit: 9:26pm On Mar 29, 2021
Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company

If you are still young, career leap frogging is sometimes the best way to the top.

For example, a young Chartered accountant earning peanuts might do well to master a programming language in 3 months and can double his salary with a new job in IT within one and a half years of retraining in IT.

The only exception is if you work in a Multi-National Best of Breed Company like for example British American Tobacco or any other internationally run FMCG company where it is advisable once you manage to get such a job to stay there for life as you will become very rich in the future and their severance payments can set you up for life.

The business of these FMCG companies makes it seem like they are printing money. Imagine BAT that makes money round the clock everywhere in the world when someone buys a packet or even a single stick of cigarette in the remotest and poorest parts of the world that cigarettes are consumed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by Yankee101: 9:30pm On Mar 29, 2021
Only your father's company will be loyal to you

Gain your experience and move to better places

Except if they have a clear cut progression path

3 Likes

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by justmi1: 9:31pm On Mar 29, 2021
You didn't talk about type C;

Work in a company for few years, save up (capital/experience) and then start your own company.

4 Likes

Re: Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company by legba1(m): 9:34pm On Mar 29, 2021
There's nothing like loyalty to an organization or coy. When the chips are down management will sa ricice you with retrenchment to reduce expenses...
My experience, I worked with a coy that realy takes the welfare of staffs serous, their pay is one of the best and salary comes as early as 23rd. Your leave allowance is ideal and 13th.onth pay is what I pay my kids school fees with cos u receive the alert on first working day of the year. Also, they don't own contributory pension as they remit monthly..
I grew fast cis I was always ready to move to any office on transfer(my wife and kids understand). In a short while, I had worked in 11 states of Nigeria. I rose to assistant manager within 10years and I enter as graduate training after service..
Then Come Mr Buhari, coy fortunes nose dived and the big deals no longer coming in, it was decided some staffs need to go, in particular the senior staffs with huge salary, I was then at the ABJ office and never heard a thing till my letters arrived.
Then I looked back, my friends and professional colleagues that were moving about, dumping coys at will are still at their desks.theres even one we were employed same day, he left for an advertising coy later to Guinness and we felt yea, he will stay, soon he japa to mtn, then m-tel and now airtel... He's a super big boy now... A beg guys, nothing like loyalty joor

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Zenith Bank's Employment / Hope For Hnd Holders, Hnd / Bsc Conversion Programme / Nigeria Army Promotes Senior Officers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.