Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? (3040 Views)

White SA Mother Loses 5 Kids In Massive Gas Explosion (PICS) / Russia Mum Kills Baby &Son Jumping 190ft To Her Death With Kids In Her Arms(Pix) / What Are The Advantages Or Disadvantages Of Raising A Child As A Single Parent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by FreeSpirited: 6:15pm On Mar 29, 2021
We all know Nigeria is bad and limiting but regardless, people are still making it, getting married and raising kids.
Personally however, I see it as a big risk. A huge stress as this country is filled with uncertainties in terms of economy, security and politics.
And when raising a kid, I believe the prevailing culture can influence the thinking and potential of the kid. And aside, exposing kids to this dirty and wicked system I feel it's dangerous, especially when you talk of traveling on our roads, our broken health care that can kill you anytime, poor public facilities, and poor avenue to explore talents.
And sometimes I'm like what if I'm stuck here with my family, unable to take them to a better land of sanity and opportunity. Or if I travel over there and still meet obstacles preventing me from moving them easily.
All of this and many more factors makes me envy and praise young guys who are marrying and still taking care of their family in their own way. Dem dey try.
The question is, is it really not that bad for young families and their plans to give their family the best in this country? Am I just delusional or too idealistic?
It's affecting my decision or seriousness about marriage.

1 Like

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Babaken(m): 6:23pm On Mar 29, 2021
That's one of the major reason I tried all I can to travel out of the country then. A country that the parents are encouraging their kids to involve in yahoo.

3 Likes

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Cholls(m): 6:32pm On Mar 29, 2021
My brother yes
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Magnoliaa(f): 6:39pm On Mar 29, 2021
If you can leave the country, leave and start a family in a better country.

If you can't, you can still raise your kids here and they'll turn out well. You'll prolly only have to work harder at making money so you can afford some things and live in a good environment. For me, mindset is the first and others follow. Kids aren't *that* hard to raise provided you're a good model (yourself).

You can 'create' the reality you want your kids to grow up in, and counter whatever it is they get from out there. They can be influenced anywhere, but methinks your* concerns are valid. They should not just be irrational, 'cos what if you end up not being able to leave the country?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2021
Magnoliaa:

[s]If you can't, you can still raise your kids here and they'll turn out well. You'll prolly only have to work harder at making money so you can afford some things and live in a better environment.[/s]

Keep on living In foooools paradise.......

4 Likes

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by longetivity(m): 6:47pm On Mar 29, 2021
@OP where were you raised
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by FreeSpirited: 7:01pm On Mar 29, 2021
longetivity:
@OP where were you raised
Nigeria...But if I knew before hand that I was to be raised here, and I could influence the decision, then I wouldn't have agreed to be born here of course

2 Likes

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by FreeSpirited: 7:35pm On Mar 29, 2021
Magnoliaa:

If you can't, you can still raise your kids here and they'll turn out well. You'll prolly only have to work harder at making money so you can afford some things and live in a good environment. For me, mindset is the first and others follow. Kids aren't *that* hard to raise provided you're a good model (yourself).

You can 'create' the reality you want your kids to grow up in, and counter whatever it is they get from out there. They can be influenced anywhere, but methinks you're concerns are valid. They should not just be irrational, 'cos what if you end up not being able to leave the country?
If we all have to pass all those conditions you lay on ground before we can raise kids how convenient, and plausible is that in our economy
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by SavageResponse(m): 8:34pm On Mar 29, 2021
FreeSpirited:

Nigeria...But if I knew before hand that I was to be raised here, and I could influence the decision, then I wouldn't have agreed to be born here of course

Well it's too late to change where you were born so deal with it already and stop whining! angry

2 Likes

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by FreeSpirited: 11:58pm On Mar 29, 2021
SavageResponse:

Well it's too late to change where you were born so deal with it already and stop whining! angry
Tor.
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Richy4(m): 4:53am On Mar 30, 2021
But I guess you were born and raised in Nigeria, and u turned out the way u are... or don't u like the personality/ whom you have become?..... Please explain it to me in 25 words

3 Likes

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Sarcastic101: 1:48pm On Mar 30, 2021
A hard working person would make it any where
The richest man in Africa (Dangote) didn't look at all these factors
He just worked hard and he achieved success
(He wouldn't leave his business in Nigeria for any country)
Meanwhile a lazy person would not make it
Even if he travels to Luxembourg

Truth is that you can make it anywhere

I've seen people who traveled to Europe an they are suffering
More than us back here
They save all they earn to come back and show off at the end of the year

Also seen people who made it abroad to

So it's not EASY ANYWHERE
Train your children to be hard working and able to function wherever they find themselves

1 Like

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by ibechris(m): 2:23pm On Mar 30, 2021
Sarcastic101:

Truth is that you can make it anywhere

I've seen people who traveled to Europe an they are suffering
More than us back here
They save all they earn to come back and show off at the end of the year

Also seen people who made it abroad to

Train your children to be hard working and able to function wherever they find themselves

Pls,dont use Dangote to compare anyone or business in Nigeria. There is business and there is monopoly. That man is a monolpolist and has destroyed many youths in this country.
He does not allow foreign investment to come into the country for the fear of competition. Go and read the damning report that was drafted about him by the United state govt. U will know why no one should regard him as a role model in this country.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Raalsalghul: 2:32pm On Mar 30, 2021
FreeSpirited:
We all know Nigeria is bad and limiting but regardless, people are still making it, getting married and raising kids.
Personally however, I see it as a big risk. A huge stress as this country is filled with uncertainties in terms of economy, security and politics.
And when raising a kid, I believe the prevailing culture can influence the thinking and potential of the kid. And aside, exposing kids to this dirty and wicked system I feel it's dangerous, especially when you talk of traveling on our roads, our broken health care that can kill you anytime, poor public facilities, and poor avenue to explore talents.
And sometimes I'm like what if I'm stuck here with my family, unable to take them to a better land of sanity and opportunity. Or if I travel over there and still meet obstacles preventing me from moving them easily.
All of this and many more factors makes me envy and praise young guys who are marrying and still taking care of their family in their own way. Dem dey try.
The question is, is it really not that bad for young families and their plans to give their family the best in this country? Am I just delusional or too idealistic?
It's affecting my decision or seriousness about marriage.
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Sarcastic101: 2:36pm On Mar 30, 2021
ibechris:

Pls,dont use Dangote to compare anyone or business in Nigeria. There is business and there is monopoly. That man is a monolpolist and has destroyed many youths in this country.
He does not allow foreign investment to come into the country for the fear of competition. Go and read the damning report that was drafted about him by the United state govt. U will know why no one should regard him as a role model in this country.
Dangote is not stopping foreign investors
Many companies (MTN,yale ,nestle, chevron, ShopRite, all these car companies,pz) infact70% of the biggest manufacturing companies are owned by foreigners
Dangote wasn't poor although but he wasn't the richest when he started
He would have run off to America or Europe
But he saw what you all refused to see
And worked hard
None of our brothers abroad has up to one Third of his money
Even if you do the top tencountdown of the
Richest Nigerians you'd notice that they all made Thier money here in Nigeria
This is what the foreign investors see that we the country men don't even see

I've said it and would keep saying it
No matter what you do
No matter where you go
If you don't work hard
You can never be rich
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:53pm On Mar 30, 2021
Op your fears are valid. It is very difficult to raise a child now with a salary of 500k a month especially if you want your kids in the best primary and secondary schools where the initial foundation is built. Aside from school fees, healthcare is nonexistent. Your kids get sick and you are broke, there's a 99 percent chance of them dying. Go to LASUTH and see kids dying because their parents cant afford 5000 naira to buy hospital cards. Inflation is also at an all-time high. Everything is bloody expensive plus the future president after Buhari (Yahaya Bello or Tinubu) will be worst than Buhari. Things will be extremely brutal.

1 Like

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by The5DME(m): 7:18pm On Mar 30, 2021
No born for Nigeria oh.
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Gerrard59(m): 7:40pm On Mar 30, 2021
Sarcastic101:

They've come again... Dangote comes from once West Africa's richest family. Dangote was born into wealth and his lineage ditto that of Dantata's will never be poor. Stop comparing yourself to him. However, the vast majority of Nigerians are to slug it in an economy that has not seen GDP growth gone past 6% in almost seven years. Where will this wealth come from from? Fine, there's tech but in an unstable and wicked government regulatory scenes, the tech is fragile. Besides, not everyone will be in tech considering Nigeria's nascent stage of economic development. Agribusiness that I planned entering on a medium scale, what happens nationwide? Maurading Fulani herdsmen destroying people's crops and farmlands, some of whom are way connected than myself and other budding entrepreneurs.

My advice to Nigerian youths remains: LEAVE. THE. COUNTRY.

P.S. By 2031, we'd see what Nigeria becomes. Hopefully, you haven't deactivated this account by then.

2 Likes

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by crackhaus: 7:56pm On Mar 30, 2021
FreeSpirited:

Yes, that's the word.
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Magnoliaa(f): 3:55am On Mar 31, 2021
FreeSpirited:

If we all have to pass all those conditions you lay on ground before we can raise kids how convenient, and plausible is that in our economy

Conditions?? What "conditions" did I lay? And what unrealistic conditions especially did I say? You won't put in any effort into raising kids or what? Abi you won't work to give them a good life? undecided Is it the part of being a good role model or the part of creating a good environment?

Raise them any way you want then.
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by MMotimo: 5:10am On Mar 31, 2021
I don’t know the answer to the question, it’s very deep.

Whatever you do, wherever you go, please only have kids you can cater for. Every kid you birth that you can’t afford, puts pressure on you and the society and you can significantly reduce positive outcomes when you have kids you can’t take care of. Aim to do more for your kids than your parents did for you, that should guide you in your decision making. Best wishes!

3 Likes

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Ajibade123(m): 2:10pm On Mar 31, 2021
let me tell you something Nigeria is getting worst day by day crime is the new normal
even children in secondary school no longer take school serious
I was taking a WAEC tutorial class the other day... in the class more than half of the boys there were yahoo boys with latest IPhones...even the girls were just hanging on the boys and couldn't solve a simple jss2 equation
is that What you picture for your kids??

1 Like

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by FreeSpirited: 7:47pm On Mar 31, 2021
Ajibade123:
let me tell you something Nigeria is getting worst day by day crime is the new normal
even children in secondary school no longer take school serious
I was taking a WAEC tutorial class the other day... in the class more than half of the boys there were yahoo boys with latest IPhones...even the girls were just hanging on the boys and couldn't solve a simple jss2 equation
is that What you picture for your kids??
Honestly. Look at the kidnapping spree going on of school students. And total hopelessness of the future. Graduating and doing well in schl doesn't guarantee u anything anymore...and a host of other ills of the society all scare one
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by MRKRABS2: 8:04pm On Mar 31, 2021
You are an antinatalist (Google it). You're thoughts are valid.You have seen that life is suffering and it comes with inevitable pain whether it's POVERTY, UNEMPLOYMENT,HUNGER AND FAMINE, SICKNESS,DEATH, DEPRESSION and so many other problems so you don't want any of your potential kids to go through this hell.so I understand you don't want to have kids it's a valid point.You don't want to create another human to experience this life...
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by FreeSpirited: 8:11pm On Mar 31, 2021
MRKRABS2:
You are an antinatalist (Google it). You're thoughts are valid.You have seen that life is suffering and it comes with inevitable pain whether it's POVERTY, UNEMPLOYMENT,HUNGER AND FAMINE, SICKNESS,DEATH, DEPRESSION and so many other problems so you don't want any of your potential kids to go through this hell.so I understand you don't want to have kids it's a valid point.You don't want to create another human to experience this life...
Hmmmm. Is there solution to this kind of mindset? I do feel if our society were more sane just may be my view might be different. I'm not sure though
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by MRKRABS2: 8:16pm On Mar 31, 2021
FreeSpirited:

Hmmmm. Is there solution to this kind of mindset? I do feel if our society were more sane just may be my view might be different
. I don't think there is much you can do that means you're one of the chosen to think like this you can accept it, get married stay child free or adopt if you and your partner agree...Or you can have kids and regret your choices all your life and force yourself to forget about it....There is really not much you can do but the choice is yours...
Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 01, 2021
And another one just woke up.
Welcome to reality bro. Nice to have you join us.
Pity your unborn and spear them the pain of existence and inevitable death.

#antinatalist
#stopneedlesssuffering
#earthishell

1 Like

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Apr 01, 2021
FreeSpirited:

Hmmmm. Is there solution to this kind of mindset? I do feel if our society were more sane just may be my view might be different. I'm not sure though

Unfortunately coming to this realization can be a bad thing as you can not unlearn what you already know and you will suffer a lot because there are not many people who understands you or what you're going through but it the truth and the truth hurts.

You already know the truth of our world which is a pointless rat race in my opinion.

Let the harm unknowingly done to you end with you.

A child born in Nigeria will go through a great deal of suffering and no one deserves this punishment don't do it to your own offsprings is what I use to tell people but they never listen so many children will continue to suffer pointlessly.

#dontbeasheep
#antinatalist
#Nigeriaishellinhell

1 Like

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Femzaremz(m): 5:01pm On May 20, 2021
KillGod:

Unfortunately coming to this realization can be a bad thing as you can not unlearn what you already know and you will suffer a lot because there are not many people who understands you or what you're going through but it the truth and the truth hurts.

You already know the truth of our world which is a pointless rat race in my opinion.

Let the harm unknowingly done to you end with you.

A child born in Nigeria will go through a great deal of suffering and no one deserves this punishment don't do it to your own offsprings is what I use to tell people but they never listen so many children will continue to suffer pointlessly.

#dontbeasheep
#antinatalist
#Nigeriaishellinhell
bro i like this! We share the same state of mind!

1 Like

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 20, 2021
Femzaremz:
bro i like this! We share the same state of mind!

You're a very rear breed of human being.

One of the best in my opinion wink

1 Like

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:05pm On May 20, 2021
KillGod:

You're a very rear breed of human being.

One of the best in my opinion wink
Bros not only him o. A lot of us share the same mindset. If I cant leave the African continent I am getting a vasectomy. No kids for me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational? by Nobody: 5:37am On May 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Bros not only him o. A lot of us share the same mindset. If I cant leave the African continent I am getting a vasectomy. No kids for me.

Very very good. People are waking up in this Shit of a country.

I just can't get why many people don't the obvious.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Fear I Won't Have A Marriage As Good as My Parents' Own / . / Does The Child Of A Stay-at- Home Mom Benefit More Than The Child Of A Working M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.