Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,489 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:39 PM

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins (23584 Views)

Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by ThickSharon123(f): 8:58pm On Jul 28, 2021
UGBE634:
It is the same energy I got from here,that is the same energy I am giving. "Your Oba was comfortable with few kilometres" that was bile and that is what I am agitated about. My sister I have Yoruba and Igbo friends offline, they are not like this. I am never like this, the level of bile and hatred I have seen against Bini here cannot be gotten anywhere else in the world, Like a child that is consistently flogged because she Is a child and can't stand up to anyone. Benin and her people are with good and bad features so with any other society on earth. I am shown enormous Level of love by this people offline only to come online and see some level of stark hatred and disdain for my people online. See how Emilokoiyawon was destroying Binis name in the mud until I stood up to him.

My dear, we all love Bini people, but certian people also make us scared with comments, especially toxic people on Nairaland too. I'll advise not to cause disdain on our rulers, whether is the Oba of Bini, Oyo, Ile-Ife and the Eastern rulers, we need to say what we know with factful knowledge, rather than rulership on someone, especially when there are no facts.

Urhobo and Ijaw people may not object because it is evident in their lands that Bini influence was solid.

But you don't expect someone from the East, or west, okay, if we had a pidgin Lingua of Bini or something that ties us with them, it would be understandble and all these arguments would be unnecessary

If the European countries had no evidence both externally and otherwise of Roman rule, do you think they'll solidify their presence, no. It's like that everywhere.

So, dear Bini and all, haven't you considered if these people are related in some way, that's the answer to all of these.

Don't mind people that tell you when you talk of rulership and dominance of people it makes them emotional and that's wrong. They have to be emotional, if you have the evidence, no one would say shingbay!!!! But when there are no such, with the logic to use the senses of observation by looking at cultures of the differing tribes, you can't just sit and accept it.

Bini is great yes, but I believe it is a place that seems more like the United States today, were different tribes came to be together and lived in harmony. It was a melting pot of cultures.
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 9:00pm On Jul 28, 2021
UGBE634:
Yes he was tutored by a white man
(1) “Knew Jesus”.

(2) “Was Tutored”.

These are two different things. cheesy grin

(1) One refers to introduction to Christ.

(2) The other refers to schooling or academic study.

Stop being the typical Benin liar that you are. In other words, stop being a liar. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by UGBE634: 9:15pm On Jul 28, 2021
TAO11:

(1) “Knew Jesus”.

(2) “Was Tutored”.

These are two different things. cheesy grin

(1) One refers to introduction to Christ.

(2) The other refers to schooling or academic study.

Stop being the typical Benin liar that you are. In other words, stop being a liar. cheesy
He found Jesus through by one pastor Okpo in Benin city,the pastor is not Yoruba. And was Ordained by a white man Pa SG ELTON.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 9:32pm On Jul 28, 2021
UGBE634:
[s]He found Jesus through by one pastor Okpo in Benin city,the pastor is not Yoruba. And was Ordained by a white man Pa SG ELTON.[/s]
(1) First, you lied that he found Christ through a white man.

I am glad I busted you on that. I’m also glad that even you have now admitted that you lied on that. Liar. cheesy

(2) I said he had Christian “predecessors” & “fathers”.

At no point did I say or imply that he was introduced to Christ through Yoruba pastors.

Admit this second lie (just as you admitted the first) or I drag you forever like tiger Gen.

(3) Also, “introduced to Christ” and “ordained as a pastor” are two different things.

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by UGBE634: 9:35pm On Jul 28, 2021
TAO11:
(1) First you lied that he found Christ through a white man.

I am glad I busted you on that, and now you seem to have admitted that you are a liar.

(2) I said he had Christian predecessors and fathers.

At no point did I say or imply that he was introduced to Christ through Yoruba pastors.

Admit this second lie (just as you admitted the first) or I drag you forever like tiger Gen.
when I said he found his Jesus through a white man, I meant his "ministry" but your daft brain was too low to comprehend that was why I came back to state clearly what I meant. He couldn't have found Jesus literally 'found' while he grew up in Benin city

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 9:38pm On Jul 28, 2021
UGBE634:
[s]when I said he found his Jesus through a white man, I meant his "ministry" but your daft brain was too low to comprehend that was why I came back to state clearly what I meant. He couldn't have found Jesus literally 'found' while he grew up in Benin city[/s]
He found Jesus through a white man IS EQUAL TO he founded his ministry through a white man.

See how I pushed you low to where you belong? See your life?

Stop lies, stop lies you did not hear, see your life now.

Cheers!

Cc: rhektor, Christistruth00

2 Likes

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by UGBE634: 9:42pm On Jul 28, 2021
TAO11:
He found Jesus through a white man IS EQUAL TO he founded his ministry through a white man.

Cheer!

Understanding can only be gotten from the one who wrote something, That was my Original intention, that was why I came back with the 'Tutor' and the 'PA SG ELTON talk' which happens to be the meat of my white man talk.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by gregyboy(m): 9:42pm On Jul 28, 2021
lifeisgood12:

benin only ruled lagos island. Most parts of modern lagos state was controlled by aworis and ijebus. This is the map of modern day lagos state. Read the history of some of those cities/places like ikorodu, agbowa, ifako ijaye, epe were always controlled by ijebus. Ikeja has always been inhabited by aworis and theres no history of benin ruling that part. Badagry was founded by aworis and controlled by oyos. Ive been seeing this misinformation to be common online about benin ruling lagos when most parts of lagos were controlled by other people.

You all always get it wrong, because bini influence never got to those areas does that mean benin never ruled them or her influence was not overlording them,

These people you mentioned were all present when bini overtook their trading port which was lagos Island, they all fought against the benins but they weren't victorious and they lost

Lagos Island was the econmic hub and the capital of lagos in the 16 century when the benins besieged it, the aworis, the ijebus from the hinterland, the oyos all came there to trade with the europeans before the benins later came for their own trading, after a while benin besieged the area, to take full econmic controls and those tribes you mentioned up there fought the benins and lost, thereby subcoming to the benin rulership,
Lagos highland was the capital and therefore would show all benin influence and again they were only few benin people who migrated to lagos to take control so her cultural influence couldn't go widespread to all areas like you imagined, but her political influence was all widespread all over lagos, as long as benin took the capital which was lagos highland from the aworis ijaw, ijebu, Itshekiris who traded there before the benins, they therefore all came under the benin rule by default forget your tribal viewpoint youre giving up there i suggest you read benin political rulers hip of lagos it talked about how benin gave autonomy to local former ruler of lagos, to rule their areas as long as they pay royalty to the center which was lagos highland

Example, even in the benin kingdom not all towns in the past had an enogie heading them until recently, does that mean because those areas in benin was never ruled by the oba, or because the britsh influence wasnt felt in somepart of nigeria does it now mean britsh political control didnt stretched to them...

Common sense bro.. Tribalism won't let you all think outside the box...

The truth is benin was the king of southern Nigeria.... Take tribalism away and you will see it, benin conquered for economic benefit those areas benin never touched was because they never saw reasons to invade it, lagos wouldn't have been invaded if the benin were never interested for the econmic benefit of lagos Island

The more you read the more you will know benin ruled the entire southern Nigeria directly and indirectly

Benin defeated oyo in a war, but didn't besieged it.. Because they never saw economic benefit to, benin outran igalas but never besieged it, those areas benin settled was for a purpose and wasnt for no reason...

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 9:51pm On Jul 28, 2021
UGBE634:
[s]Understanding can only be gotten from the one who wrote something, That was my Original intention, that was why I came back with the 'Tutor' and the 'PA SG ELTON talk' which happens to be the meat of my white man talk.[/s]
He was ordained as a Pastor through a white man is what you meant.

But you said he was introduced to Christ through a white man — when that is a BIG FAT lie.
————————

You didn’t mean to lie. Is that what you’re now saying?

Oya, at least apologize for your UNINTENTIONAL LIE.

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by UGBE634: 9:55pm On Jul 28, 2021
TAO11:
He was ordained as a Pastor through a white man is what you meant.

But you said he was introduced to Christ through a white man — when that is a BIG FAT lie.
————————

You didn’t mean to lie. Is that what you’re now saying?

Oya, at least apologize for your UNINTENTIONAL LIE.
Tao it seems you like bickering with me, I have explained my Original intention, with logical talk like he couldn't have grown up in Benin city and be introduced to Christ through a white man. This matter is too inconsequential to bicker back and forth over, Goodnight

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 9:58pm On Jul 28, 2021
UGBE634:
[s]Tao it seems you like bickering with me, I have explained my Original intention, with logical talk like he couldn't have grown up in Benin city and be introduced to Christ through a white man. This matter is too inconsequential to bicker back and forth over, Goodnight[/s]
You LIED ‘unintentionally.’ Yes or No?

If YES, admit it (and may be apologize for your ‘unintentional’ lie).

If NO, then you’re a brutal liar; and this somehow calls your earlier claim of ‘unintentional’ lie into question.

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by Christistruth00: 10:00pm On Jul 28, 2021
TAO11:
Ever heard of Joseph Ayodele Bablola, or J.B. Akinyele, or D.O. Odubanjo ?? cheesy

Those are your Idahosa’s fathers. The only thing is they never thought him lies. Idahosa is a notorious liar.

Perhaps those Yoruba liar pastors who came after him mastered the lying craft from him. Agree or not? grin cheesy

Idahosa was a notorious Fake Pastor

He was one of the Champions of the False Gospel of Prosperity that Nigerian Christianity is still recovering from

Love of God Humility and Holiness were just not on his Radar Screen

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by UGBE634: 10:05pm On Jul 28, 2021
Christistruth00:

Idahosa was a notorious Fake Pastor
A notorious fake pastor that gained global prominence and was revered worldwide and also tutored many of your fake Big pastors and you are certainly a fake punk ass and seriously deluded alongside with the Jesus you worship

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by Christistruth00: 10:08pm On Jul 28, 2021
UGBE634:
A notorious fake pastor that gained global prominence and was revered worldwide and also tutored many of your fake Big pastors and you are certainly a fake punk ass and serious deluded alongside with the Jesus you worship

Idahosa fathered the Fake Pastor Generation in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by UGBE634: 10:12pm On Jul 28, 2021
Christistruth00:

Idahosa fathered the Fake Pastor Generation in Nigeria
Take your tears to his sons who are from your tribe not me. Get your deluded Bleep self out of here. There is nothing like a fake pastor as you all are deluded and fake

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by lifeisgood12: 11:17pm On Jul 28, 2021
gregyboy:

You all always get it wrong, because bini influence never got to those areas does that mean benin never ruled them or her influence was not overlording them,

These people you mentioned were all present when bini overtook their trading port which was lagos Island, they all fought against the benins but they weren't victorious and they lost

Lagos Island was the econmic hub and the capital of lagos in the 16 century when the benins besieged it, the aworis, the ijebus from the hinterland, the oyos all came there to trade with the europeans before the benins later came for their own trading, after a while benin besieged the area, to take full econmic controls and those tribes you mentioned uo there fought the benins and lost, thereby subcoming to the benin rulership
Lagos highland was the capital and therefore would show all benin influence and again they were only few benin people who migrated to lagos to take control so her cultural influence couldn't go widespread to all areas like you imagined, but her political influence was widespread all over lagos as long as benin took the capital which was lagos highland from the aworis ijaw, ijebu, Itshekiris who traded there before the benins, all came under the benin rule by default forget your tribal viewpoint youre giving up there i suggest you read benin political rulers hip of lagos it talked about how benin gave autonomy to local former ruler of lagos, to rule their areas as long as they pay royalty to the center which was lagos highland

Example, even in the benin kingdom not all towns in the past had an enogie heading them until recently, does that mean because those areas in benin was never ruled by the oba, or because the britsh influence wasnt felt in somepart of nigeria does it now mean britsh political control didnt stretched to them...

Common sense bro.. Tribalism won't let you all think outside the box...

The truth is benin was the king of southern Nigeria.... Take tribalism away and you will see it, benin conquered for economic benefit those areas benin never touched was because they never saw reasons to invade it, lagos wouldn't have been invaded if the benin were never interested for the econmic benefit of lagos Island

The more you read the more you will know benin ruled the entire southern Nigeria directly and indirectly

Benin defeated oyo in a war, but didn't besieged it.. Because they never saw economic benefit to, benin outran igalas but never besieged it, those areas benin settled was for a purpose and wasnt for no reason...

"You all always get it wrong, because bini influence never got to those areas does that mean benin never ruled them or her influence was not overlording them" - what stupid argument is this? To control and manage colonies, imperialists used different forms and methods. The four forms were colony, protectorate, sphere of influence, and economic imperialism. Two methods included direct control followed by a policy of paternalism and indirect control. Theres no account of benin ever getting to those areas, u agree with that. There is also no evidence benin used puppets for their indirect control. . Hmmm

Where is the source benin kingdom defeated oyos. The only nigerian/outside groups that have ever defeated oyo are nupes, fulanis, dahomeys. U stated "Lagos Island was the econmic hub and the capital of lagos in the 16 century when the benins besieged it,". Lagos island was never the economic hub in the past. Badagry was the economic hub of lagos. Badagry was where slaves were sold and goods were traded the most out of everywhere in modern day southwest.

"These people you mentioned were all present when bini overtook their trading port which was lagos Island, they all fought against the benins but they weren't victorious and they lost"- There has been no evidence benins ever fought with ijebus or oyo. Each yoruba subgroup had their territory which they controlled. Aworis, ijebus, oyos and others all had their different territory. "Lagos highland was the capital" - you must have forgotten modern day lagos city is made up of carved parts of ogun state. What century exactly did ijaws/itsekiris get to lagos and name the parts they were in. How can small lagos island be the capital, u need to check a map.

2 Likes

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by gregyboy(m): 12:25am On Jul 29, 2021
lifeisgood12:

"You all always get it wrong, because bini influence never got to those areas does that mean benin never ruled them or her influence was not overlording them" - what stupid argument is this? To control and manage colonies, imperialists used different forms and methods. The four forms were colony, protectorate, sphere of influence, and economic imperialism. Two methods included direct control followed by a policy of paternalism and indirect control. Theres no account of benin ever getting to those areas, u agree with that. There is also no evidence benin used puppets for their indirect control. . Hmmm

Where is the source benin kingdom defeated oyos. The only nigerian/outside groups that have ever defeated oyo are nupes, fulanis, dahomeys. U stated "Lagos Island was the econmic hub and the capital of lagos in the 16 century when the benins besieged it,". Lagos island was never the economic hub in the past. Badagry was the economic hub of lagos. Badagry was where slaves were sold and goods were traded the most out of everywhere in modern day southwest.

"These people you mentioned were all present when bini overtook their trading port which was lagos Island, they all fought against the benins but they weren't victorious and they lost"- There has been no evidence benins ever fought with ijebus or oyo. Each yoruba subgroup of them had their territory which they controlled. Aworis, ijebus, oyos and others all had their different territory. "Lagos highland was the capital" - you must have forgotten modern day lagos city is made up of carved parts of ogun state. What century exactly did ijaws/itsekiris get to lagos and name the parts they were in. How can small lagos island be the capital, u need to check a map.

Benin defeated oyo during the ekiti parapo war, to protect ekiti a vassal under it from oyo attack..

And yes am aware part of ogun state was added to lagos, there was no ogun state in the past but rather ijebu, me including ijebu covers those ogun state areas added to lagos
And yes again benin had economic and political control over the entire lagos, if the aworis and ijebu came to lagos Island to trade they subcome to the benin trade rules, and their various leaders from ikeja, badagary paid royalties to the oba of lagos...
Go and read.... I won't spoon food you, i mentioned a book you should read

Again badagary became one of d economic hub with the emerge of slave trade, all forms of trade took place in lagos highland....

You need to read and research before you engage me

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 12:46am On Jul 29, 2021
@lifeisgood12,

Great comments, keep it up.

But just a few things to point out:

You’ve thoroughly debunked the Benin delusions, but you’ve erroneously made a false admission.

Benin actually never owned nor ruled Lagos-Island at any point in time. Yes you read that correctly.

(1) The progenitor of the Lagos-island monarchy is a man by the name Aṣipa.

According to ‘Lagos accounts,’ Aṣipa is an Awori noble from Isheri-Olofin.

(2) Aṣipa (according to ‘Lagos accounts’) gave birth to a son named Ado.

Ado’s mother is from the line of Benin kings, and Ado himself was born and raised in Benin city.
——————

The foregoing is the ‘Lagos account’ of the connection between Lagos-island monarchy and Benin monarchy.

Some decades after the ‘Lagos account’ had long been published by the British and forgotten, the Binis then came up with their late redactions.

Please refer to my comments found at the link below to see a very thorough and devastating refutation of the Benin myths of cOnQuEst, NaMiNg, and RuLe.

https://www.nairaland.com/6365528/lagos-belongs-benin-obanikoros-grandson/30#98218235

Go carefully through that comment and those which follow it (including my replies) till the very end if you can.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by rhektor(m): 7:16am On Jul 29, 2021
TAO11:

Cheers!

Cc: rhektor, Christistruth00

He's drowning so clinging to straws is expected grin

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by rhektor(m): 7:19am On Jul 29, 2021
UGBE634:
My brother when Idahosa was alive, none of your brothers came close, they only started blooming after he died. The truth hurts, yes it is a bitter pill, swallow it, this is not history, this is reality. Idahosa up till he died was the centre of attention, was the BABA AGBA

Oops! Those you claimed were not up to him were how old when he was doing whatever he was doing? How many from Edo today could match just one from the southwest? Give me 10 names from Edo I'll give you just one from here, a deal?

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by UGBE634: 7:27am On Jul 29, 2021
rhektor:

Oops! Those you claimed were not up to him were how old when he was doing whatever he was doing? How many from Edo today could match just one from the southwest? Give me 10 names from Edo I'll give you just one from here, a deal?
Your Adeboye was just three years younger but was super irrelevant by the time he was alive, Even Kumuyi was also three years younger, but their names only took off after the centre of attention and attraction died. Oyakhilome is a dominadi, Apostle Johnson Suleiman is a force too

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by rhektor(m): 7:29am On Jul 29, 2021
UGBE634:
Your Adeboye was just three years younger but was super irrelevant but was super irrelevant by the time he was alive, Even Kumuyi was also three years younger, but their names only took after the centre of attention and attraction died

And who are the disciples of your center of attraction? Where are they now?

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by UGBE634: 7:33am On Jul 29, 2021
rhektor:

And who are the disciples of your center of attraction? Where are they now?
Oyedepo was a disciple of the center of attraction and he is a proud one not hidden at all, and Pa Ayo Oritsejafor was also a proud son of the Center of attraction, Oyakhilome is was also a proud son of the center of attention, also not hidden. He was the go to man, the Baba AGBA. even your Adeboye was subtly under him. I can share a pic here when he came to Benin to collect insight. And these are the giant ministries in Nigeria, He was not called the Father of modern Christianity in Nigeria for nothing

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by rhektor(m): 1:24pm On Jul 29, 2021
UGBE634:
Oyedepo was a disciple of the center of attraction and he is a proud one not hidden at all, and Pa Ayo Oritsejafor was also a proud son of the Center of attraction, Oyakhilome is was also a proud son of the center of attention, also not hidden. He was the go to man, the Baba AGBA. even your Adeboye was subtly under him. I can share a pic here when he came to Benin to collect insight. And these are the giant ministries in Nigeria, He was not called the Father of modern Christianity in Nigeria for nothing

I guess you can now see what TAO11 said about Idahosa grin

Please stop digging more holes for him, let him continue to rest wherever he is until the judgement day

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by UGBE634: 1:49pm On Jul 29, 2021
rhektor:

I guess you can now see what TAO11 said about Idahosa grin

Please stop digging more holes for him, let him continue to rest wherever he is until the judgement day
I just stated fact. Take your tears to your kinsmen who he had influence over, today Oritsejafor and Oyedepo openly Identifies with him and are proudly his sons.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by rhektor(m): 6:15pm On Jul 29, 2021
UGBE634:
I just stated fact. Take your tears to your kinsmen who he had influence over, today Oritsejafor and Oyedepo openly Identifies with him and are proudly his sons.

I guess you still don't know what both of these people you mentioned have in common

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by lifeisgood12: 2:23am On Jul 30, 2021
gregyboy:

Benin defeated oyo during the ekiti parapo war, to protect ekiti a vassal under it from oyo attack..

And yes am aware part of ogun state was added to lagos, there was no ogun state in the past but rather ijebu, me including ijebu covers those ogun state areas added to lagos
And yes again benin had economic and political control over the entire lagos, if the aworis and ijebu came to lagos Island to trade they subcome to the benin trade rules, and their various leaders from ikeja, badagary paid royalties to the oba of lagos...
Go and read.... I won't spoon food you, i mentioned a book you should read

Again badagary became one of d economic hub with the emerge of slave trade, all forms of trade took place in lagos highland....

You need to read and research before you engage me
during the kiriji war, the only role benin played was supplying weapons to both sides. You claim oyo was beaten by benin when benin never even fought them. Benins have never had economic control over the entire lagos, how do you have control over the entire lagos when they only overlooked one of the smallest parts of lagos. "if the aworis and ijebu came to lagos Island to trade they subcome to the benin trade rules", ijebus traded with portuguese even before you lots got to lagos. Which benin trade rules lol grin, u lack sense. "Again badagary became one of d economic hub with the emerge of slave trade, all forms of trade took place in lagos highland"- where is the source for this. " royalties to the oba of lagos", badagry has never been under the hands of oba of lagos.
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 3:49am On Jul 30, 2021
lifeisgood12:
during the kiriji war, the only role benin played was supplying weapons to both sides. You claim oyo was beaten by benin when benin never even fought them. Benins have never had economic control over the entire lagos, how do you have control over the entire lagos when they only overlooked one of the smallest parts of lagos. "if the aworis and ijebu came to lagos Island to trade they subcome to the benin trade rules", ijebus traded with portuguese even before you lots got to lagos. Which benin trade rules lol grin, u lack sense. "Again badagary became one of d economic hub with the emerge of slave trade, all forms of trade took place in lagos highland"- where is the source for this. " royalties to the oba of lagos", badagry has never been under the hands of oba of lagos.
The Ijebus supplied the guns, the Europeans supplied the guns.

Stop playing into the hands of a well known liar.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by KingOKON: 7:11am On Jul 30, 2021
TAO11:
The Ijebus supplied the guns, the Europeans supplied the guns.

Stop playing into the hands of a well known liar.

Ijebus supplied WHAT?
Even Satan won't stand this lie

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by samuk: 7:59am On Jul 30, 2021
Kiriji war.....

The name Kiriji itself was gotten from the frightening sounds of Benin supplied ammunitions.

"Next the Ogbagis obtained help from Rabbah and Ilorin. Sinabu King Masaba's son and Hinakonu the Fulani Balogun of Ilorin came against him ; thrice was Ayorinde routed, and many of his fighting men speared, but he rallied again and maintained his ground. Ogbagi was at length taken. Ayorinde became lord of the Akokos and Ido Ani. He opened a caravan way to Owo through which he obtained ammunition from Benin." - Samuel Johnson, The History of the Yorubas

"The confederates now aimed at wresting from the Ibadans all their subject towns including Oyo towns under their protection from Ikirun to Iwo, and limit the Ibadan territories to the river Oba, that is the natural limits of their farms in that direction. It soon became evident that the Ifes had joined them, because their only safe route to Benin for ammunition via Oke Igbo became unsafe from kidnappers ; but the people of Modakeke being Oyos and not Ifes refused to join the coalition knowing that the destruction of Ibadan would be their own ruin, as the Ifes were ever hostile to them, but remained quiet for fear of the Ibadans." - Samuel Johnson, The History of the Yorubas

"The allies had also the great advantage over the Ibadans, in that they had free access to Benin for ammunition whilst nearly all the roads were closed to the Ibadans. Long flintlock guns with large muzzles were imported from Benin ; these, when fully loaded and fired, gave a report which reverberating from hill to hill all around sounded like Ki-ri-ji-i, from which this war was named the Kiriji Campaign." - Samuel Johnson, The History of the Yorubas

Benin was so powerful that it didn't just supply guns and ammunitions to various Yoruba tribes, it also supplied mercenaries to fight in their wars, as you can see below.

"The kingdom of Benin was so powerful that the Alafin of Oyo, the head of the Yoruba people, told a British governor that even his predecessors had to pay tribute to its king." - Asibong Akpan Okon, The evolution of self-government of Nigeria (1955), p. 36

Asibong Okon was referring to this:

"This Kingdom of Benin was at one time so powerful that the Alafin of Oyo, the head of the Yoruba people, told me that even his predecessors had to pay tribute to its King." - United Empire, Volume 2 (1911), p. 620

"In the evening we had a visit from the king (Alaafin of Oyo), to thank me for the presents I had given him, and again to assure me of being welcolme; said that he wanted nothing, unless it was something that would speedily cause the submission of the rebels. He said that he had sent to his friend the king of Benin for troops to assist him in the war."

- Hugh Clapperton, Journal of a Second Expedition Into the Interior of Africa, from the Bight of Benin to Soccatoo

https://books.google.com/books?newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&id=AE45AQAAMAA

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 10:45am On Jul 30, 2021
samuk:
[s]Kiriji war.....

The name Kiriji itself was gotten from the frightening sounds of Benin supplied ammunitions.

"Next the Ogbagis obtained help from Rabbah and Ilorin. Sinabu King Masaba's son and Hinakonu the Fulani Balogun of Ilorin came against him ; thrice was Ayorinde routed, and many of his fighting men speared, but he rallied again and maintained his ground. Ogbagi was at length taken. Ayorinde became lord of the Akokos and Ido Ani. He opened a caravan way to Owo through which he obtained ammunition from Benin." - Samuel Johnson, The History of the Yorubas

"The confederates now aimed at wresting from the Ibadans all their subject towns including Oyo towns under their protection from Ikirun to Iwo, and limit the Ibadan territories to the river Oba, that is the natural limits of their farms in that direction. It soon became evident that the Ifes had joined them, because their only safe route to Benin for ammunition via Oke Igbo became unsafe from kidnappers ; but the people of Modakeke being Oyos and not Ifes refused to join the coalition knowing that the destruction of Ibadan would be their own ruin, as the Ifes were ever hostile to them, but remained quiet for fear of the Ibadans." - Samuel Johnson, The History of the Yorubas

"The allies had also the great advantage over the Ibadans, in that they had free access to Benin for ammunition whilst nearly all the roads were closed to the Ibadans. Long flintlock guns with large muzzles were imported from Benin ; these, when fully loaded and fired, gave a report which reverberating from hill to hill all around sounded like Ki-ri-ji-i, from which this war was named the Kiriji Campaign." - Samuel Johnson, The History of the Yorubas[/s]
Benin didn’t produce no guns in case your aim is to deceive your brothers into believing that.

The Europeans traded along the Atlantic coast, and some of the many items they trade are guns.

Benin is one of the indigenous polities near the coast. They traded with the Europeans in these items.

Another indigenous polity near the coast is the Ijebu. They also traded with the Europeans in these items.

In relation to this fact, the Rev Samuel Johnson notes as follows:

Thus the Ibadans received no help whatever from their compatriots at Lagos. However, with the deposition and expulsion of the Awujale from his capital, the strain between Ibadan and the Ijebus became relaxed. Through Chief Kuku of Ijebu Ode, who had resided at Ibadan for many years, as well as through the Balogun of Ijebu, and from private traders through the Ijebu country, the Ibadans were now able to obtain at very high prices some rifles and ammunition, just sufficient to render their position more secure at Kiriji. The guns were sold to them at the rate of £10 to £15 a piece, and the cartridges at 6d. each—prices which (considering the scarcity of money and the general impoverishment induced by this prolonged war) only men in desperate condition would care to pay. Sanusi, the Are's eldest son, was the first to purchase a few, then Lady Omosa, the daughter of the late Basorun Ogunmola, procured a few for her nephew Kongi, who was now the head of the house. After this the possession of a rifle became a general thing, every war chief trying to get a few for himself. For this purpose many had to sell their slaves and slave wives, a matter of pain and grief to them, as altogether contrary to their custom, but the body politic must be preserved at all costs.

~ The Rev. S. Johnson, “The History of the Yorubas,” Completed 1897, Published 1921, p. 492.

[s]Benin was so powerful that it didn't just supply guns and ammunitions to various Yoruba tribes, it also supplied mercenaries to fight in their wars, as you can see below.

"The kingdom of Benin was so powerful that the Alafin of Oyo, the head of the Yoruba people, told a British governor that even his predecessors had to pay tribute to its king." - Asibong Akpan Okon, The evolution of self-government of Nigeria (1955), p. 36

Asibong Okon was referring to this:

"This Kingdom of Benin was at one time so powerful that the Alafin of Oyo, the head of the Yoruba people, told me that even his predecessors had to pay tribute to its King." - United Empire, Volume 2 (1911), p. 620

"In the evening we had a visit from the king (Alaafin of Oyo), to thank me for the presents I had given him, and again to assure me of being welcolme; said that he wanted nothing, unless it was something that would speedily cause the submission of the rebels. He said that he had sent to his friend the king of Benin for troops to assist him in the war."

- Hugh Clapperton, Journal of a Second Expedition Into the Interior of Africa, from the Bight of Benin to Soccatoo

https://books.google.com/books?newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&id=[/s]
(1) The war preparation described here happened about 50 — 60 years before Kiriji war at all. This preparation has absolutely nothing to do with the Kiriji war.

This preparation, instead, relates to the events which led to the destruction of the Oyo Empire in the early 1800s — long before anything like Kiriji war would be born in the first place. More will be said on this under point (2).

(2) The statement made by Dennett as attributed by him to a certain Alaafin of Oyo (that Oyo paid tribute to Benin) was discussed earlier. Reminder👇🏾

First of all, Asibong Akpan Okon is mistaken about his assertion that a British Governor was responsible for collecting any such statement from the said Alaafin.

The individual who collected and published the cited statement in the 2nd volume of the “United Empire” is the trader, R.E. Dennett.

The key-word used by R.E. Dennett in his report is the English word “tribute”.

Even a basic-level grasp of English makes it clear that the English word “tribute“ has two basic significances:

The Primary Significance (Meaning-1):
A payment made to express gratitude, etc.

The Secondary Significance (Meaning-2):
A payment made to acknowledge conquest, etc.
It is noteworthy that there is absolutely nothing in the vast corpus of Bini accounts which states (or suggests) that Benin at any point conquered Ọyọ — despite the apparent tendencies in Bini accounts to lay claims of conquest (although usually falsely) to far & near lands.

Similarly, there is absolutely nothing in the vast corpus of Ọyọ accounts which states (or suggests) that Ọyọ at any point in time was conquered by Benin — despite the clear admissions (in Ọyọ accounts) that early Ọyọ was conquered for a while by some Nupe groups, by some Bariba groups, and by the early Owu kingdom.

In the light of the foregoing, the secondary significance (meaning-2) of “tribute” is not applicable to Dennett’s statement above. Such interpretation has no footing whatsoever in Ọyọ or Bini historical accounts and realities.

Conversely, the primary significance (the “meaning-1) of the English term “tribute”, as is now to be expected, is actually that which is in line with the historical realities of Ọyọ-Benin relations as detailed below
R. E. Dennett collected this statement in ca.1911. The “tribute” payment relates apparently to pre-1911.

The relevant historical background which clarifies his significance of this term is hinted in the Journals of the Europeans who explored the interiors of Yoruba-land in the 1800s.

These explorers reached old Ọyọ and actually met the then Alaafin whose vast empire was at the time facing intense rebellion from at least one of its provinces.

In response to these internal troubles, the then Alaafin reached out to other provinces of his empire; his long standing allies; as well as newly emerging allies in order to nip this specific rebellion in the bud once and for all.

One of its allies which Ọyọ reached out to for this specific engagement in the 1800s was some Bariba groups. Another state which it reached out to, for the purpose of this engagement, is the Benin kingdom.

In relation to this outsourcing services, CPT Clapperton hinted in his 1820s Journal that the Alaafin said:

he wanted nothing, unless it was something that would speedily cause the submission of the rebels. He said that he has sent to his friend the king of Benin for troops to assist him in the war. In the evening I set off five rockets, which astonished all and frightened away many. The king was sitting under his verandah, and we waited on him to inquire how he liked the rockets; he was quite delighted, and said they should be kept for [the] war.

Captain Clapperton & Richard Lander, “Journal of a Second Expedition Into the Interior of Africa,” (1829), p. 41.

In the light of this foregoing historical information (as well as in the light of the fact that any supposed Benin conquest of Ọyọ is an historical fallacy); the first significance (meaning-1) of the term “tribute” then is what is meant in Dennett’s statement.

In other words, the outsourcing services which the above quotation from Clapperton’s journal indicated wasn’t free of charge after all.

In sum, the English term “tribute” as used by Dennett in his c.1911 report is in the primary sense of the term as opposed to the secondary sense.

Cc: lifeisgood12, rhektor

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Which Top Ten African Countries to you Contribute To The Image Of Africa Today? / Alaafin Presents Car To Journalist Sanni Agboola / Ebenezer Tunde Omobobami Begs Police To Stop Him From Being Ogun Chief Priest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.