Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,527 members, 7,808,909 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? (28239 Views)

Help! Family Planning Keeps Failing Us, She Is Pregnant Twice This Year / Nigerian Mum Flown To US, Finds Her Daughter Pregnant After 10 Years Of Marriage / Mother Of Nine Who Is Not A Fan Of Family Planning (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Kinematics: 8:47pm On Mar 30, 2021
McSquishi:

hysterectomy would be an extreme form of sterilization. I’m sure the contraceptive benefit of the procedure would be considered but that isn’t recommended as a procedure to undergo if contraception is one’s primary concern. But yes, that would definitely be 100% if undergone. I just don’t see that as family planning.

From my understanding the more common reasons for vasectomy failures are natural reconnecting of the clipped tubes and not waiting long enough to have unprotected sex.

From the bolded you have a point, however how often does this happen? Extremely, I mean extremely rare.
Hysterectomy may be radical, however it still remain one of the methods of family planning, used in extreme situations.
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by dahgifted(m): 8:53pm On Mar 30, 2021
Kinematics:
Let me drop a small lecture of family planning for those who don't really know what it is.

In common man's term family planning is knowing when you want to have a baby, how you want to have that baby and where. Its meant for couples that want to plan their family size. It has several benefits for both mother and child. Daddy as well grin

Now, there are 2 main methods of family planning. We have the Permanent and Temporary method.

Example of Permanent method include: Vasectomy, Orchiectomy, Hysterectomy and bilateral tubal ligation(not entirely so).
Most Africans especially do not use this method because is surgical and you know the risks involved in surgery

Temporary method. This is the commonest method and it includes;
1. Natural method eg Abstinence, Knowing your ovulation period( counting your menstrual cycle, knowing the "free periods", use of beads to count the cycle like in the olden days, use of ovulation signs like increase in temperature and mid cycle abdominal pain aka mitelsmezh)
2. Withdrawal method
3. Barrier method eg use of condoms, cervical caps, spermicides
4. Use of Oral contraceptive. Either single or combined
5. Use of implants eg Jadelle etc
6. Use of Intrauterine devices eg copper T
7. Use of emergency contraceptives eg postinor

Note that every method of family planning has its merits and demerits. Failure rates are high for some and most comes with their own side effects. Before you choose a method you want to use make sure that you and your partner agree on it.
In all ABSTINENCE is the best.

Choose your poison/medicine wisely!
Is there any chances that withdrawal method can go wrong even after withdrawing ealier
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Munzy14(m): 9:02pm On Mar 30, 2021
danngnews:

I don't blame any woman, a man should know when he is about to cu,,,,,, you know na smiley remove your thing n pour outside, simple.
Lol..you are right, but atimes it feels good depositing everything inside...cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Kinematics: 9:03pm On Mar 30, 2021
dahgifted:
Is there any chances that withdrawal method can go wrong even after withdrawing ealier

Yes. There is over 80% chance that things can go wrong.
Some men may have already ejaculated unknowningly before withdrawing.
Also those that like going several rounds without flushing their Urethra by simply urinating after each round stand a higher risk of failure using the withdrawal method.
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Felicity001(m): 9:20pm On Mar 30, 2021
Femi8586:
It depends on the type of family planning used.
Most of them are not 100% safe..

Some of the sure way of preventing pregnancies are vasectomy(cutting the tubes that carries sperm cells from the testes to the penis) in males, cutting of the falopian tubes in females, IUD(intrauterine device implantation in females) etc though some have side effects on the long run.

Others like use of condoms(male&female), contraceptive pills and creams either before or after sexual acts, avoidance of sex during ovulation periods and so on are still prone to errors and mistakes.

The surest way of preventing pregnancies with no worries is complete abstinence.

That still has human errorgrin
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Mustapha04(m): 9:25pm On Mar 30, 2021
Like you really need to tighten your brain � so badly and with immediate alacrity.
LMS1:
The Following Factors May Cause It... :
Maybe The Doctor Mistakenly Gave Her Wrong Contraception Meant For Menstration.
Or Maybe Because The Child Is A+BB Genotype (stubborn Gene).
Or Maybe Because The Woman Is Not Legitimate For Family Planning.(still Hoeing)
Or Maybe Because The Contraceptive Had Expired.
Or Maybe The Woman Was Transgenderd (like Bob Risky)
Or Maybe Because The Husband Sperm Contains 52% Alkaline And 45% Zinc.(corrosive To Cotraceptives)
Or Maybe Tinubu Is Just Polygamous In Nature cheesy
Wait First...
Pls Who Has Screewdriver?,
I Need To Tighten Up A Nut Upstairs grin
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by McSquishi(f): 9:32pm On Mar 30, 2021
Kinematics:

From the bolded you have a point, however how often does this happen? Extremely, I mean extremely rare.
Hysterectomy may be radical, however it still remain one of the methods of family planning, used in extreme situations.

You’re right it’s rare. But rare is why I said nothing is 100%...

In which extreme family planning situation would a doctor remove a uterus rather than just seal off the fallopian tubes?
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Reelmii: 9:41pm On Mar 30, 2021
LMS1:
The Following Factors May Cause It... :
Maybe The Doctor Mistakenly Gave Her Wrong Contraception Meant For Menstration.
Or Maybe Because The Child Is A+BB Genotype (stubborn Gene).
Or Maybe Because The Woman Is Not Legitimate For Family Planning.(still Hoeing)
Or Maybe Because The Contraceptive Had Expired.
Or Maybe The Woman Was Transgenderd (like Bob Risky)
Or Maybe Because The Husband Sperm Contains 52% Alkaline And 45% Zinc.(corrosive To Cotraceptives)
Or Maybe Tinubu Is Just Polygamous In Nature cheesy
Wait First...
Pls Who Has Screewdriver?,
I Need To Tighten Up A Nut Upstairs grin
which one is BB genotype again
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Mustapha04(m): 9:41pm On Mar 30, 2021
Let's look at this vital topic from a broad perspective, birth control pills or contraceptives are placed on the wrong gender. The most a woman can give birth to are 12-16 children but a male gender can single handedly impregnate over a hundred women within the space of one month. Men get away with a lot of things in this life.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Klass99(f): 9:43pm On Mar 30, 2021
smiley
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by dfrost: 9:47pm On Mar 30, 2021
Femi8586:

The surest way of preventing pregnancies with no worries is complete abstinence.

I was reading to get to this. Didn't want to flood the thread with same answer.

You are 100% correct. The only A in ABC.
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Klass99(f): 9:47pm On Mar 30, 2021
smiley
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Kinematics: 9:52pm On Mar 30, 2021
McSquishi:

You’re right it’s rare. But rare is why I said nothing is 100%...

In which extreme family planning situation would a doctor remove a uterus rather than just seal off the fallopian tubes?

In the developed world after CS some mothers may request for hysterectomy.
It may sound absurd to you, but people do it. Like I said its radical, but its still a method.
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by LMS1(m): 9:57pm On Mar 30, 2021
Reelmii:
which one is BB genotype again
you will not understand. only those that studied aeroplane distinction at school will understand
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by safarigirl(f): 10:04pm On Mar 30, 2021
Klass99:

Safari baby cheesy, why you dey talk like JJC? Did you not receive the memo that African/Nigerian men do not do vasectomies?

They typically prefer that their wives alter their biological set up to stop child bearing, rather than them.

There was a thread on vasectomy not long ago, you needed to see the comments from male users here and some religious zealots, laff wan kill me that day, I swear.

There are a lot of arrogantly ignorant people on this site. Their takes always lurk between annoying and amusing.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by McSquishi(f): 10:14pm On Mar 30, 2021
Kinematics:

In the developed world after CS some mothers may request for hysterectomy.
It may sound absurd to you, but people do it. Like I said its radical, but its still a method.

It’s not just that it seems absurd but also illogical, dangerous, and approaching medical malpractice

I’m born and raised in the developed world and women commonly request their tubes tied after cs, not their uterus removed. I have never heard of that. The only cases of uterine removal after CS I know is to save the mother in an emergency.

Hysterectomies are usually only performed if their are complications to do with the uterus not for simple contraception. Maybe in underdeveloped countries this occurs?
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Kinematics: 10:22pm On Mar 30, 2021
McSquishi:

It’s not just that it seems absurd but also illogical, dangerous, and approaching medical malpractice

I’m born and raised in the developed world and women commonly request their tubes tied after cs, not their uterus removed. I have never heard of that. The only cases of uterine removal after CS I know is to save the mother in an emergency.

Hysterectomies are usually only performed if their are complications to do with the uterus not for simple contraception. Maybe in underdeveloped countries this occurs?

Hysterectomy as a means of family planning occur everywhere, more in the developed world than in underdeveloped world. Its not common, but it exists.

A hysterectomy is the surgical removal of a woman's uterus and, depending on her overall health status and the reason for the operation, perhaps her ovaries as well. For practical purposes, no woman who has had a hysterectomy can become pregnant; it is an irreversible method of birth control and absolute sterilization.
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Klass99(f): 10:34pm On Mar 30, 2021
smiley
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Tigolom: 10:35pm On Mar 30, 2021
blank:

Male vasectomies are not 100% effective and is reversible. You need to keep checking with a doctor to ensure that it hasn't reversed itself.
I'm definitely not subscribing. No babies, no sex
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Jeromejnr(m): 10:49pm On Mar 30, 2021
Klass99:

Jerome, this thing is not hard nah! You people should do a vasectomy to save yourselves this kind of stress.A vasectomy is also a sure way of knowing if your spouse is cheating.

In summary, men need to take more responsibility for this thing as well, don't leave it to the woman alone then turn around and cry wolf when she announces she is pregnant.

Why are you people so scared of a vasectomy sef?

Two of them should discuss about it.

That's why it called family planning. Not one spouse taking a selfish decision.
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by timisquare82(m): 10:50pm On Mar 30, 2021
[quote author=Matheusmartin post=100341205].
Family planning na vaccine??..

Always hurrying to type nonsense. [/quote
No na Vaseline]
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by McSquishi(f): 10:56pm On Mar 30, 2021
Kinematics:

Hysterectomy as a means of family planning occur everywhere, more in the developed world than in underdeveloped world. Its not common, but it exists.

A hysterectomy is the surgical removal of a woman's uterus and, depending on her overall health status and the reason for the operation, perhaps her ovaries as well. For practical purposes, no woman who has had a hysterectomy can become pregnant; it is an irreversible method of birth control and absolute sterilization.

But per your source:

“If a woman has other chronic medical problems that may be helped by a hysterectomy (such as abnormally excessive menstrual bleeding, uterine fibroids, uterine growths), then this may be an appropriate procedure for her to consider. Otherwise, contraception should be considered a secondary benefit and not a sole reason to have the procedure

https://www.medicinenet.com/surgical_sterilization/article.htm

“Most often, hysterectomy is done to treat problems with the uterus, such as pain and heavy bleeding caused by endometriosis or fibroid tumors. The surgery may also be needed if there is cancer in the uterus, cervix, or ovaries. Some women may have the surgery during childbirth to save their lives if there is heavy bleeding that cannot be stopped.” https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/hw212587

A partial list of inappropriate indications for hysterectomy includes prophylaxis against uterine cancer, contraception in a gynecologically normal patient, management of menopause, leukorrhea and chronic cervictis, primary dysmenorrhea and premenstrual tension....”

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7333047/

I believe it would be considered malpractice to remove a uterus solely as a method of birth control
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by nedekid: 12:32am On Mar 31, 2021
Femi8586:
It depends on the type of family planning used.
Most of them are not 100% safe..

Some of the sure way of preventing pregnancies are vasectomy(cutting the tubes that carries sperm cells from the testes to the penis) in males, cutting of the falopian tubes in females, IUD(intrauterine device implantation in females) etc though some have side effects on the long run.

Others like use of condoms(male&female), contraceptive pills and creams either before or after sexual acts, avoidance of sex during ovulation periods and so on are still prone to errors and mistakes.

So when the cut the pipe that carries the cells from ekpon to joystick, after goodtime, what does the man release to show has kaned finish?
Abi you will just chook for 10 mins and getup without pouring anything?
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by welovethee(m): 2:08am On Mar 31, 2021
There might be other causes but the one I am sure of is taking ALCOHOL.
If the alcohol content in your blood is in excess of a particular threshold, and you have intercourse, the risk is very high.

NOTE: ALCOHOL NULLIFIES THE EFFECT OF FAMILY PLANNING MEDICATION.
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by oyeleyemaureen(m): 7:12am On Mar 31, 2021
And the number of likes it got really was worrisome..
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by meobizy(f): 8:31am On Mar 31, 2021
I never knew this was a thing. Na vasectomy and tying of tubes sure pass.
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by chikafredu: 8:35am On Mar 31, 2021
Kinematics:
Let me drop a small lecture of family planning for those who don't really know what it is.

In common man's term family planning is knowing when you want to have a baby, how you want to have that baby and where. Its meant for couples that want to plan their family size. It has several benefits for both mother and child. Daddy as well grin

Now, there are 2 main methods of family planning. We have the Permanent and Temporary method.

Example of Permanent method include: Vasectomy, Orchiectomy, Hysterectomy and bilateral tubal ligation(not entirely so).
Most Africans especially do not use this method because its surgical and you know the risks involved in surgery

Temporary method. This is the commonest method and it includes;
1. Natural method eg Abstinence, Knowing your ovulation period( counting your menstrual cycle, knowing the "free periods", use of beads to count the cycle like in the olden days, use of ovulation signs like increase in body temperature and mid-menstrual cycle abdominal pain aka Mittelschmerz) )
2. Withdrawal method
3. Barrier method eg use of condoms, cervical caps, spermicides
4. Use of contraceptive. Either single or combined oral contraceptive, Injectable or contraceptive patch.
5. Use of implants eg Jadelle etc
6. Use of Intrauterine devices eg copper T
7. Use of emergency contraceptives eg postinor

Note that every method of family planning has its merits and demerits. Failure rates are high for some and most comes with their own side effects. Before you choose a method you want to use make sure that you and your partner agree on it.
In all ABSTINENCE is the best.

Choose your poison/medicine wisely!

I think for the natural ways outlined: no.2 + no.3 = effective and safe. In this the same level with Abstinence.
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by hakymbiyiyaho: 8:49am On Mar 31, 2021
It could be by mis - calculationtion of expiry date of the vaccine or injection.
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Kinematics: 9:04am On Mar 31, 2021
chikafredu:

I think for the natural ways outlined: no.2 + no.3 = effective and safe. In this the same level with Abstinence.

Yes they are safe and effective to a level, but not as effective as Abstinence.
Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Gerrard59(m): 9:23am On Mar 31, 2021
Klass99:

Lol grin, WTH is vasectomylivesmatter?

Will you have the procedure done on you, when you are through with the number of kids you want?

Yes. After two kids, I undergo the procedure, no ifs or buts.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Women Get Pregnant After Family Planning? by Gerrard59(m): 9:33am On Mar 31, 2021
blank:

Male vasectomies are not 100% effective and is reversible. You need to keep checking with a doctor to ensure that it hasn't reversed itself.

There is permanent vasectomy (which is irreversible). Even the reversible vasectomy has issues and the chances of producing a fertile and motile sperm reduces after reversal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

White Men Are Better Than Black Men! / 6 Hilarious Ways Nigerian Mothers Make Conversation With Children / Her Husband Wants A Separate Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.