Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them (24077 Views)

I Need $36bn To Construct Railway Nationwide - Amaechi / Amaechi: We Will Build Port Harcourt-Maiduguri High Speed Railway Line / Rotimi Amaechi: We Promised Change, Now There’s Huge Change In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by adenigga(m): 3:00am On Mar 31, 2021
The Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, says he personally travelled to Niger Republic to beg the country to allow the Nigerian government to construct the $1.95bn railway from Kano State into Maradi in Niger Republic.
Amaechi said this on Channels Television’s ‘News Night’ programme on Monday which was monitored by our correspondent.

The railway is expected to run from Kano to Dutse- Katsina through Jibia and will end at Maradi Niger Republic.

The minister said some had even accused him of serving northern interests even though his wife is Igbo.

Amaechi said, “It is like the shout about Kano-Maradi rail. I said my wife is Igbo. She is not from Maradi. The worst is that they will say I am serving the interest of the North. Let’s assume that is the argument you will make. The worst I can do is stop at Jibia which is the border. To even get to Maradi, I had to travel to Niger Republic to even beg them. They are not bringing their money o. It is our money. But I’m begging them to allow me access into Maradi.”

When asked why it was so important to extend the rail to Maradi, Amaechi explained that Niger Republic was a landlocked country and had to rely on entrepot trade which means it has to export and import through intermediary countries.

The minister said due to insecurity and poor road infrastructure as well as extortion by security agents, Niger Republic and Chad preferred exporting and importing their goods through Benin Republic, Ivory Coast, Ghana and Togo.

He argued that the new rail would help Nigeria to compete and this would expand the economy.

Amaechi added, “Why are they not exporting through Nigeria? They say o, your roads are bad. So, the railway takes care of that. They say Customs is difficult; Customs will impose charges that are not charged in Benin Republic.

“They say immigration does not allow them. Even when they pass all these, there are police checkpoints on the road, Customs checkpoints on the road, immigration checkpoints on the road. Then communities have their own checkpoints on the road, armed robbers attack them on the road. So, they prefer to go where it is safe and cheaper to do business.

“So, all we are saying is we come to Maradi, we build offices, we build a warehouse, you put your things in the warehouse, you deal with Customs at Maradi, deal with immigration at Maradi, deal with police, whatever you need to check.

“Once you put the goods on top of the wagon; it goes straight to Lagos. When it gets to Lagos, straight to the ship because the things you would do in Lagos, you would have done in Maradi.”

The minister also berated the National Assembly for obstructing the facilitation of Chinese loans due to the controversial sovereignty clause.

In July 2020, a House of Representatives panel had raised the alarm over clauses conceding Nigeria’s sovereignty to China in a loan agreement.

Amaechi claimed that the unnecessary probe had stalled funding for the Ibadan to Kano rail.

Source: https://m.punchng.com/news/We-begged-Niger-Republic-to-construct-railway-for-them-Amaechi

7 Likes

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by EmptyGarden(m): 3:06am On Mar 31, 2021
You can't explain nonsense Sir. Bubu's henchmen are all comedians, they've successfully turned Nigeria to a Joke.

144 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by Nature129(m): 5:07am On Mar 31, 2021
Why do these people keep chasing shadows? There are lots of reports in the public domain that the Eastern railway is the most lucrative in Nigeria, but you would rather fix railways in other regions because the east didn't vote for APC.

They have even gone to beg Niger Rep to connect them to Lagos in the name of facilitating the international trade between the two countries. Meanwhile, the most lucrative rail line in your country is lying moribund. The black man has a big problem.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/businessday.ng/uncategorized/article/nigerian-railway-losing-billions-of-naira-in-south-east/amp/

139 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by Karlovych: 5:10am On Mar 31, 2021
grin grin Republique du Niger has officially become the 37th state in Nigeria

130 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by Sibrah: 5:26am On Mar 31, 2021
This is worse than PDP by a factor of 10.

137 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by orisa37: 5:34am On Mar 31, 2021
So an Igbo Man, AMAECHI, is The Executioner of all The MACBAN'S AND BUHARI'S wasteful Commitments in NIGER REPUBLIC.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by Ynix(m): 6:59am On Mar 31, 2021
This man is so ignorant he should go and learn how USA, China and Canada financed their rail project through investors. Bill Gates bought 17 Billion Shares in Canadian Rail Network

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by SILVERLINES: 9:55am On Mar 31, 2021
cheesy

funny people
after the so-called presidency are from Niger republic

6 Likes

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by driand(m): 9:55am On Mar 31, 2021

You personally went to beg them, tell me sir! Have all the roads in Nigeria been repaired?

89 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by cupidFlint(m): 9:56am On Mar 31, 2021
E choke

1 Like

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by jchioma: 9:56am On Mar 31, 2021
Well, since it's in the interest of the country's economy, it's OK. But this also goes to show that the Nigerian customs, immigration etc. are part of the economic sabotage. Moreso, after six years in the saddle, the Buhari's administration still lacks the will to fight corruption head on.

11 Likes

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by sheDD(m): 9:57am On Mar 31, 2021
That your wife if Igbo doesn't mean you mean well for the east
But the Eastern railway has better prospect than that of the north.
All buhari ministers has a touch of buhari style of administration.
Cluelessness and hate for the igbos clime sad

31 Likes

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by McJane(f): 9:57am On Mar 31, 2021
Wow, this a wonderful development. Please sir, don't forget to beg them to build universities and roads in their communities as the ever loving Nigerians they we are.
While we here no get better rjsd or basic amenities.

9 Likes

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:57am On Mar 31, 2021
U are not okay or neither are u serious

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by phygo89(m): 9:58am On Mar 31, 2021
This country is joke.. More reason i support seccession

I pity our youths, our old men politician don chop us chop change....

Chukwuokike make my Biafra a reality and sooner, this I pray..

Iseeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

25 Likes

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by Upton: 9:58am On Mar 31, 2021
Omo

1 Like

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by DennisEche(m): 9:58am On Mar 31, 2021
The worst I can do is stop at Jibia which is the border. To even get to Maradi, I had to travel to Niger Republic to even beg them. They are not bringing their money o. It is our money. But I’m begging them to allow me access into Maradi.”
grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by daddytime(m): 9:59am On Mar 31, 2021
Uncouth human being with a leaking mouth.

Very foolish somebody this Amaechi.

Dude is so arrogant and usually speaks before thinking.

19 Likes

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by soft101: 9:59am On Mar 31, 2021
This man is on drug oh!

7 Likes

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by Mindlog: 9:59am On Mar 31, 2021
Senseless! What stops the rail track ending at Jibia which is the border and containers offloaded there and Nigeriens clear their goods and truck their goods to their desired destinations?

18 Likes

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by Khd95(m): 10:00am On Mar 31, 2021
are you fixing all the dilapidated rail lines in Nigeria that u are now begging Niger to build rail lines in their territory, how many goods lives and enter Naija thru Niger, the SOUTH EASTERN PART OF NIGERIAN needs rail lines because of the volume of goods that live lagos, and north to that part vise versa

misplaced priority, shame on these people grin

11 Likes

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by AceRoyal: 10:00am On Mar 31, 2021
But the South East and South South have been begging for standard rail lines to be extended to them(a standard rail line from the south to the north) to boost economic development that will be very beneficial to our country as a whole. Rail lines that. An be used to transport petroleum products, agricultural products, etc.

Absolute waste of resources with NO ECONOMIC BENEFIT WHATSOEVER TO US AS A NATION!

I LOVE MY COUNTRY BUT I'M ASHAMED OF OUR LEADERS, ESPECIALLY THIS PRESENT SET OF LEADERS!!! angry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amaechi: We Begged Niger Republic To Construct Railway For Them by sammyj: 10:00am On Mar 31, 2021
grin grin Nigeria has gone so bad that even the poverty ravaged Niger is rejecting connecting a railway line to Niger for free!!! Ameachi should also tell us the economic benefit of this elephant project. How are the mighty fallen!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Armsgate: All Those Found Guilty Will To Go Jail – Buhari / Olusola Oke Campaigning This Night In Ondo South (photos) / Abia PDP Bigwigs Dump Party, Defect To APC (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.