Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,866 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:10 AM

Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. (845 Views)

"It’s Islamic" – Kwara Cleric Justifies Brutalisation Of Arabic Students / Governor Buni Sends Yobe Students To Egyptian University To Study Quran, Arabic / Islamic Group Demands Replacement Of French Language With Arabic In Kano Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by Casham: 2:18pm On Mar 31, 2021
I know this may sound offensive to many, but I think The Arabic language should be formalized in Nigeria. These are some of my reasons. It is ok if you do not agree with my points
1- Arabic is the most widely spoken language in Africa. The entire North Africa speaks Arabic and every other African country have thousands of Arabic speakers. It is an international language spoken both in Africa and outside Africa.
2- Nigeria's number one tourist destination, Dubai, is in an Arabic-speaking country.
3- It will make education easier in Northern Nigeria. All the almajiris we call "illiterate" can actually read and write Arabic. Imagine they are all taught to actually speak the language and it is used to teach them science and business. Already, there are thousands of Islamic schools across the country. If modern education syllabus is included into their system and "their" language is used to teach them, boko(school) will no longer be haram(forbiden).
4- Arabic scripts are already on our army logo and naira notes.
Re: Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by falcon01: 2:23pm On Mar 31, 2021
Nop!
Re: Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by Jashub: 2:31pm On Mar 31, 2021
You're just confused. English is the most widely spoken language and the world is looking for how to extend English to most parts of Africa and you want to take us backward with thoughts of establishing Arabic? Oga, you nor well!
Re: Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by TruthHurts1(m): 3:56pm On Mar 31, 2021
[img]https://images./4GmidYkWX4HzcAvOPuv9vP.jpg[/img]

Casham:
I know this may sound offensive to many, but I think The Arabic language should be formalized in Nigeria. These are some of my reasons. It is ok if you do not agree with my points
1- Arabic is the most widely spoken language in Africa. The entire North Africa speaks Arabic and every other African country have thousands of Arabic speakers. It is an international language spoken both in Africa and outside Africa.
2- Nigeria's number one tourist destination, Dubai, is in an Arabic-speaking country.
3- It will make education easier in Northern Nigeria. All the almajiris we call "illiterate" can actually read and write Arabic. Imagine they are all taught to actually speak the language and it is used to teach them science and business. Already, there are thousands of Islamic schools across the country. If modern education syllabus is included into their system and "their" language is used to teach them, boko(school) will no longer be haram(forbiden).
Re: Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by Casham: 6:04pm On Mar 31, 2021
Jashub:
You're just confused. English is the most widely spoken language and the world is looking for how to extend English to most parts of Africa and you want to take us backward with thoughts of establishing Arabic? Oga, you nor well!
Yeah! I know! It sounds stupid even suggesting such idea, especially when we are surrounded by French-speaking countries and considering the religious commotations. I am christian and I know too well what formalizing Arabic may imply. But I always feel hurt whenever I hear people call these almajiris 'illiterate'. I mean, you need to see how these kids read the Koran. But most of their parents won't allow them go to a 'boko' school. The purpose of education is learning; and if Arabic will give them the chance to learn, why not push it?
Just me thinking out loud shah.
Re: Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by Jashub: 7:37pm On Mar 31, 2021
Casham:
Yeah! I know! It sounds stupid even suggesting such idea, especially when we are surrounded by French-speaking countries and considering the religious commotations. I am christian and I know too well what formalizing Arabic may imply. But I always feel hurt whenever I hear people call these almajiris 'illiterate'. I mean, you need to see how these kids read the Koran. But most of their parents won't allow them go to a 'boko' school. The purpose of education is learning; and if Arabic will give them the chance to learn, why not push it?
Just me thinking out loud shah.
Bros have you lived up north? Do you know the kind of brainwashing that goes on there?

See, even if Arabic is formally accepted as the official language of Nigeria, northern Nigeria will still have the greatest numbers of illiterates alive. All because of the islamic nature that stays with them.

To the average northern Muslim, islam is not just a religion ; it is a way of life. Which is why you'll see majority of them inculcate islam into their everyday lives.

For example, you'll see women wearing hijab under the hot sun( and some dressing like ninjas ), all in a bid to follow the "sunnah " of prophet Muhammad. And to them, this is holiness. Now how do you tell such people that wearing a hijab under the sun , could possibly cause a heat stroke or any sort other sort of malady...? How then do you educate them since they are already brainwashed by islamic culture that stays with them? One thing you have to understand is that Islam's rigidity is in a class of its own. Which is why if you a take a look at the world's map, you'll find that the poorest nations in the world , are basically Muslims dominated. And this is a fact

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by offset67(m): 7:57am On Apr 01, 2021
Casham:
you are stupid
Re: Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by Casham: 8:54am On Apr 01, 2021
offset67:
you are stupid
You have nothing to say. I said something reasonable. And I am the stupid one. Only @Jashub made some sense in his comment.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by Casham: 3:56pm On Apr 01, 2021
Jashub:
Bros have you lived up north? Do you know the kind of brainwashing that goes on there?

See, even if Arabic is formally accepted as the official language of Nigeria, northern Nigeria will still have the greatest numbers of illiterates alive. All because of the islamic nature that stays with them.

To the average northern Muslim, islam is not just a religion ; it is a way of life. Which is why you'll see majority of them inculcate islam into their everyday lives.

For example, you'll see women wearing hijab under the hot sun( and some dressing like ninjas ), all in a bid to follow the "sunnah " of prophet Muhammad. And to them, this is holiness. Now how do you tell such people that wearing a hijab under the sun , could possibly cause a heat stroke or any sort other sort of malady...? How then do you educate them since they are already brainwashed by islamic culture that stays with them? One thing you have to understand is that Islam's rigidity is in a class of its own. Which is why if you a take a look at the world's map, you'll find that the poorest nations in the world , are basically Muslims dominated. And this is a fact

actually, I AM from Northern Nigeria. I'd never even visited Southern Nigeria. My whole life's been Kaduna-Kano-Niger-Abuja-Nasarawa-Taraba. I did home lessons for some kids in Niger state for two years. But it is sad seeing how this people value Islamic education far more than modern education. They can beat a child to a pulp if they refused to go for islamiyya, but will not even bother to know the name of the child's 'boko'. I had to do lessons free for most of the kids because nobody is ready to pay for Western education of the "unbelievers". But maybe they can be made to understand that "science" is a universal language when their religious institutions started teaching it. Heck, even the numerals we use in English are actually of Arabic origins. But I understand Your point shah: Some people will always choose stupidity. I learnt that in the '40s, when there were only a little more than 100 schools in the entire southern Nigeria, the Northern part of Nigeria had no less than 22k islamiyya schools across the north. But instead of using these schools to actually teach these kids something, they rather force them to cram the Qur'an without even bothering to teach them the language. Some people just dey annoying.
Re: Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by Aremson14(m): 4:37pm On Apr 01, 2021
Another view to this, one of the major reason why we have "islamic extrimist" is because these "poor and not enlightened notherners" dont even understand what is written in the Quran. Them understanding the meaning might go a long way in quenching this extrimism idea. Most of their knowledge of Islam comes from "hear say hear say" and not from the source. It's a good idea though just that we have a fg that cant think out of the box.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by Aremson14(m): 4:38pm On Apr 01, 2021
Jashub:

As if a denomination of christianity doesnt work bear footed. And some don't even marry! And it is a good thing
cause it's not islam !
Re: Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by Jashub: 5:09pm On Apr 01, 2021
Aremson14:

As if a denomination of christianity doesnt work bear footed. And some don't even marry! And it is a good thing
cause it's not islam !
Zip your mouth there. Christians who work barefooted have better development and can never be compared to the Izala-wearing freaks of northern Nigeria whose only education is in religious stupidity and Illiteracy
Re: Why I Think Arabic Should Be Formalized In Nigeria. by Aremson14(m): 5:48pm On Apr 01, 2021
Jashub:
Zip your mouth there. Christians who work barefooted have better development and can never be compared to the Izala-wearing freaks of northern Nigeria whose only education is in religious stupidity and Illiteracy
Aya..thats nice

(1) (Reply)

Reliable Best Math Exam Help Services / Kenyan Man Hit Streets To Sell His Kidney So Brother Can Go To School / University Of Ghana Student Reportedly Dies Two Days After Taking COVID Vaccine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.