Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

How My Business Is Dying - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How My Business Is Dying (13235 Views)

My Barbing Business Is Dying / Online Business Is An Illusion - There's No Business On The Internet / ”I Started My Business With N5,000, I Now Have 5 Bedroom Mansion In Lagos"- Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How My Business Is Dying by Firstcitizen: 10:09am On Apr 17, 2021
hmmm
Re: How My Business Is Dying by namiji2598: 10:10am On Apr 17, 2021
tonididdy:
It's exactly 5 months now since I birthed this business. Exactly November 14th I started a business passion in the BEAUTY market.

On this day my barbershop was birthed... But we have barely operated for upto a month with hitches here and there.

First it starts with the non availability of professional barbers to run the business, all the barbers are either not interested or cannot give it their 100% when they get the job.

Many are frustrated with the poor patronage which is expected of any business or according to an article I read, they are "jealous" of their employer (still trying to figure this out).

My barbershop gulped me a whooping N1m.

All efforts via advertisement and physical search have proved barren as no barber has the patience to work or they are either no longer interested in a skill they learnt (instead have decided to rock the high-way(Yahoo)).

Well all said and done I want persons to know this and learn a lesson off my experience. Never invest in a business you have no skill (training) about.

As the Rent still counts, I continue to be hopeful because I invested premium ideas and hopeful I will get a patient barber to run my business while I attend to other stuffs.
I have good contracts with provision for accomodation for my employees but it's still difficult to get one
What location is ur business...the state and the local government are
And how much are u going to be paying the barber.... please answer these questions
Re: How My Business Is Dying by blamingthedevil: 10:10am On Apr 17, 2021
You invested a lot into the business... you can be dynamic to convert to business opportunity that you think is thriving in the environment. A major business that always sell is food business, either raw or restaurant.... don't be shy and too corporate...look inward and turn it around.

You can also share the shop with female salon and start selling female products
Re: How My Business Is Dying by SarkinYarki: 10:11am On Apr 17, 2021
Only Kayz Place seems to have figured this barbing thing well in Lagos , his model is the only model that can work..Get a good location and rent seats to great craft barbers daily ..I can't remember the last time I even went to barbing salon

1 Like

Re: How My Business Is Dying by Dpaulie(m): 10:11am On Apr 17, 2021
Na wa ooh...don't give up I will say, I had a similar experience when I first started my Bet9ja business..the major problem is getting a good and reliable cashier, some of the cashiers working with me in the past are into yahoo, and of course yahoo boys are synonymous to thieves, as expected stole my money, use my data to bomb sites and later stole my money and ran away.. getting good staff is not easy, it got to a point that I have to plead with my wife to work with as a cashier and I decided not to employ anyone for some months.. I later try female cashiers, those ones ehn, they're ashawo paraku, thank God sha, I have 2 ladies working with me now, and have being with me since January, I think with prayer, good staff will come.. now my advice for u 1. Commit yourself to the business, your presence is very important 2. Try get a big banner, good music system

9 Likes

Re: How My Business Is Dying by Ofadaman(m): 10:12am On Apr 17, 2021
Location and pricing is key.

So where is the shop located and what your price in average when compared to other barber shops around?..

If all these checks out you need to find a way to draw in the crowd, flyers and barbers doesn't work all the time..

Things that attrack people to location, for your type of business.

1) Bet naija shop
2) Good music and lighting
3) Phone charging
4) printing, typesetting, passport and photocopy.

It may sound funny, but these kind of side business are always in demand and needed by people for everyday activity. It could be a pull for your business., So when. People come there it register in their head that there's a saloon or barber shop nearby and they'd likely look for it next time. Once you start to get the people reduce your price for a while, so they can keep coming, if the cut is good , the friendliness and atmosphere make sense they'd return, once u get patronage then u can bump the price a little

7 Likes

Re: How My Business Is Dying by poiZon: 10:14am On Apr 17, 2021
tonididdy:

Learn to barb myself?
I was into laundry, did it for 4yrs..
Started it by myself, grew it till i became master in it.
The pandemic and attitude of customers shut me out.
But i have the skills already that nobody can take away from me.
If u want to succeed in business, u learn it. I cos tomorrow ur employee might either be sick, I or have a good job offer or decide to open his own shop, instead of running around looking for who to replace him u fill in the gap.
By this nobody will take ur biz for granted.
Dont see youths as lazy or not wanting to do what they spent time to learn but looking for greater opportunities that they can also become their master..
Wish u success...

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How My Business Is Dying by Elxandre(m): 10:15am On Apr 17, 2021
Joejonah:
No professional barber will stay with your model. You need to give them ownership of the business. Negotiate 60/40 after monthly expenses
Get a secretary to check mate
Watch them work with passion
They will even birth new ideas for you.

So of our top management staff no longer accept salaries, they need profit sharing and strong sense of ownership.
great insight.
Re: How My Business Is Dying by djflexcy: 10:15am On Apr 17, 2021
tonididdy:
It's exactly 5 months now since I birthed this business. Exactly November 14th I started a business passion in the BEAUTY market.

On this day my barbershop was birthed... But we have barely operated for upto a month with hitches here and there.

First it starts with the non availability of professional barbers to run the business, all the barbers are either not interested or cannot give it their 100% when they get the job.

Many are frustrated with the poor patronage which is expected of any business or according to an article I read, they are "jealous" of their employer (still trying to figure this out).

All efforts via advertisement and physical search have proved barren as no barber has the patience to work or they are either no longer interested in a skill they learnt (instead have decided to rock the high-way(Yahoo)).

Well all said and done I want persons to know this and learn a lesson off my experience. Never invest in a business you have no skill (training) about.

As the Rent still counts, I continue to be hopeful because I invested premium ideas and hopeful I will get a patient barber to run my business while I attend to other stuffs.
I have good contracts with provision for accomodation for my employees but it's still difficult to get one

Add saloon to it, or rent part of it for saloon and this there makeup studio. Your business won't die life is coming into it

1 Like

Re: How My Business Is Dying by kingxsamz(m): 10:19am On Apr 17, 2021
OlayemiAshraf:
There are some things you can use to get. customer ... Like

Free wifi ...

The barbershop.. turn it to unisex ,
Females always spend alots of money on their hair . .. ...

His problem is not customers.
Bis problem is finding someone who can help him run the business since he doesn't have the skill to cut hair.

1 Like

Re: How My Business Is Dying by akpunda86: 10:21am On Apr 17, 2021
tonididdy:

Bros I feel you.You need learn or know how to barb then no body can do guy for u.

I ran my saloon biz for ten years and dat ten years no body do guy for me cos me I be professional barber.im always in my saloon after work and weekends my customers want me barb dem then my barber.

I got two CCTV cameras in my shop.we don't use Gen cos dats where they steal ur moni.i was using a 5kva 8nveeter and 6 batteries.
My barber stayed for 6yrs cos of our working arrangement.
No salary but sharing mode was 65/35.

Bros get a gud work plan.u spent a lot .setting it up.all d best

14 Likes

Re: How My Business Is Dying by Duplexxx: 10:22am On Apr 17, 2021
Reading
Re: How My Business Is Dying by Cybercop2002: 10:24am On Apr 17, 2021
Bro my junior brother is a barber with 5 years experience ,he started learning in js1 and he have a freedom certificate ,if u are interested call this number 09073027735
Re: How My Business Is Dying by giles14(m): 10:26am On Apr 17, 2021
tonididdy:

never birth a business you have no skill and experience of.
Re: How My Business Is Dying by Awoleesu(m): 10:26am On Apr 17, 2021
Well, first you have my sympathy!

So, a few tips for recovery:

1. Like you may have learned yourself; never run a business upon which you totally depend on someone's else expertise!

2. Never hire anyone to do for you in a small business, what you haven't learnt to do yourself!

3. Consider 'Job Transfer' - bring in from a remote location a professional barber whose career is "dying"...

4. Take pragmatic steps to grow your own employees.
For example, if you're lucky with step #3 up there, maximize the opportunity by having him train potential staff in the art.

5. Change your marketing strategy!

For more mentoring you may send me a private email.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: How My Business Is Dying by Cybercop2002: 10:26am On Apr 17, 2021
Cybercop2002:
Bro my junior brother is a barber with 5 years experience ,he started learning in js1 and he have a freedom certificate ,if u are interested call this number 09073027735
call me bro u won't regret
Re: How My Business Is Dying by Ryan03(f): 10:27am On Apr 17, 2021
Pmedia7787:

60k can start a pos in from of your shop.. Just my fought..you need more people to come around you

In your pos shop offer btc sales and purchase... You don't need to be there for this two business

Offer subscription

Meet people

Go to land lord association meeting in your area

Meet with them and offer them a good subscription service for your saloon

People like to reduce cost..so they will come for you

Roll over subscription if they don't get the completed in a month
he can't start a pos business with 60k bro.
Re: How My Business Is Dying by giles14(m): 10:28am On Apr 17, 2021
tonididdy:

Learn to barb myself?
yes u have to or better still looking for a buyer and reinvest ur capital in a knowledgeable trade
Re: How My Business Is Dying by Elsueno: 10:29am On Apr 17, 2021
cry
You should have had some barbing skills before opening now,
Re: How My Business Is Dying by Elsueno: 10:30am On Apr 17, 2021
SarkinYarki:
Only Kayz Place seems to have figured this barbing thing well in Lagos , his model is the only model that can work..Get a good location and rent seats to great craft barbers daily ..I can't remember the last time I even went to barbing salon

Bros, are you bald grin
Re: How My Business Is Dying by Ryan03(f): 10:32am On Apr 17, 2021
tonididdy:

Learn to barb myself?
it is best you learn to barb yourself. It might look stressful now but you will be happy you did
Re: How My Business Is Dying by showafrica(m): 10:32am On Apr 17, 2021
tonididdy:

This will be difficult and almost impossible

Change business then, its almost impossible to excel in what you know nothing about. It requires good manager you can trust.
Re: How My Business Is Dying by SarkinYarki: 10:32am On Apr 17, 2021
Elsueno:

Bros, are you bald grin

Hell no, I have one of the best craft barbers in Lekki come to my home to cut me once fortnightly

1 Like

Re: How My Business Is Dying by Rick9(m): 10:36am On Apr 17, 2021
tonididdy:

My shop is located in Benin city.
I have accomodation and a good contract ready for any interested barber

Where in Benin City
Re: How My Business Is Dying by WiszyFraud: 10:42am On Apr 17, 2021
tonididdy:

Bini city?? shocked
Sorry man... Those bini boys are more interested in yahoo than month end job.

Wrong location grin

1 Like

Re: How My Business Is Dying by nwauwa(m): 10:49am On Apr 17, 2021
tonididdy:

Benin city? That’s the problem. The young boys are either enroute Libya or running out of town becuz of cult wars. Many have been killed in a barbing salon. Wrong town to invest in.

1 Like

Re: How My Business Is Dying by mekussa(m): 10:53am On Apr 17, 2021
Why not go and learn how to barb and manage your business yourself?
Anyone who starts a business without sacrificing his/her time to grow it before handing it over to someone to manage is just starting a business for the manager.

Sacrifice your time and run the biz yourself. I bet you, the growth will attract the barbers you are looking for. Humans are attracted to success.
Re: How My Business Is Dying by BePrepared: 10:58am On Apr 17, 2021
My advice may look foolish but it works

Tithing

Not to me but to your church

Do u have a plan to sacrifice your first fruit to God
Try and tithe from that shop...

As stupid as I sound PLEASE TRY IT

May grace and mercy fall on your business.
My advice is my correct practice, I have result.

2 Likes

Re: How My Business Is Dying by Silver247: 11:05am On Apr 17, 2021
Where is your location?

I have good contracts with provision for accomodation for my employees but it's still difficult to get one [/quote]
Re: How My Business Is Dying by OnlyDeCapPlease(m): 11:14am On Apr 17, 2021
OlayemiAshraf:
There are some things you can use to get. customer ... Like

Free wifi ...

The barbershop.. turn it to unisex ,
Females always spend alots of money on their hair . .. ...

Perhaps this will help keep the Yahoo barbers? They can earn some money cutting hair while they wait for something to drop.
Re: How My Business Is Dying by SkyFi: 11:16am On Apr 17, 2021
I have the same issue. I just refurbished a barber shop I took over and still looking for a barber now it is ready. It is based in lagos and in a good location. Anyone who knows a good barber looking for a job may contact me, d_jmoore@live.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why Nigerians Are Now Going Into Online Businesses / Dangote Opens Obajana Cement Plant In Kogi / Banks Raise ATM Daily Withdrawal Limits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.