Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,513 members, 7,808,875 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia (63749 Views)

Sani Dangote Is Dead! Vice President, Dangote Group Dies / Dangote Is Selling Dangote Flour Mills For N130 Billion ($361.11 Million) / Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by UnimkeAk(m): 8:02pm On Apr 06, 2021
Aconomist:
I don't live in Nigeria, but it is still my country. And I can't invest until this cement issue is resolved.
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by seyz91(m): 8:02pm On Apr 06, 2021
cheesy
Aconomist:
Dangote is selling cement for 55 Kwatcha (1150 naira) in Zambia. But in Nigeria, the same cement is going for 3,000 to 5,000 naira. Dangote is the biggest problem in Nigeria. I have never seen such a wicked excuse for a human being in my live. EndSARS is over. It's time to start END DANGOTE.

https://zambiareports.com/2021/03/31/78130/
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by CSTRR: 8:03pm On Apr 06, 2021
Johnrake69:

You're truly dumb. Cement manufacturing companies can make and sell cement at #800 profitably. Got this info from a senior accountant in one of the companies.

That aside, compare Dangote's returns to the world industry average of 17%.

Someone that pays just #25 per ton on limestone. Nigerians shouldn't be buying cement for more than 1k a bag.

If you're supporting this then you're not human.

Nigeria according to UN report currently has more than 17 million units of housing deficit.

With this practice how will the condition improve?

We just have foolish educated Nigerians like yourself that lacks morals.
N25 per tonne for limestone.

That is daylight robbery.

The man is robbing the Nigerian people badly.

6 Likes

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by Aconomist: 8:04pm On Apr 06, 2021
Asour:

Lafarge doesn't only sell to civil engineering companies. That is not true.

Also Business is hard adventure.

Most 2 Major local producers started out as importers. He successfully moved to production.
Others faltered. You may say they didn't, right? That Dangote used government support to eliminate them.

The question would be : If he is ALL so powerful, how come he failed at Tiger spices, Noodles/Flour & Beverages(juices).

Also how did BUA survive him? To remain in the industry?
Business is hard. I wish it wasn't. Monopolist would always seek to dominate. Capitalism is ruthless.

God help us.
I don't care how he did it. All I know is that prices need to come down or the country needs to allow imports.

4 Likes

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by angelfallz(m): 8:05pm On Apr 06, 2021
You have been asking where the elites are, aren't you aware they have their own share?
Tobbit:

Smh. Where are the elites for goodness sakes or does education imply just speaking good Queens English.
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by CSTRR: 8:06pm On Apr 06, 2021
Aconomist:
I don't care how he did it. All I know is that prices need to come down or the country needs to allow imports.
At this stage, imports would be better for the Nigerian people.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by vincentjk(m): 8:07pm On Apr 06, 2021
This man is playing ludo with our economy, cement scarcity is something else.

How can one man be controlling cement business in a gigantic country like Nigeria, after he convinced the government to crush ibeto cement to the last so he can take over, now this is the result.

Tribalism didn't start today in this country, obasanjo hope you're seeing the result of your hardwork abi?
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by extol1(m): 8:07pm On Apr 06, 2021
Acidosis:
You guys are always on Dangote's matter yet his cement is not the only available brand in the market. Did anybody force you to buy Dangote cement?

...always complaining about how Dangote killed competition. Tbh, this is one of the craziest things I have seen on the internet. If Dangote wants to kill Ibeto, Unicem, Lafarge and others, all he needs to do is crash the price of cement to N1000 per bag. He doesn't need to bribe anybody. This is simple economics. Make una dey use una head on this forum.

Dangote is wicked bla bla, yet his noodles, spaghetti and salt are some of the cheapest brands in the market.

Look at the images below and search for the brand with the best and cheapest offer.

As per the Zambian analogy from the OP, it's really not worth a response from me. I would leave that for primary school students to debate.
alaye, go back and include kogi cement
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by CSTRR: 8:08pm On Apr 06, 2021
Dangote is a major reason why many people don't have their own house.

The cost of cement alone will wreck you.

8 Likes

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by rajiedreez: 8:08pm On Apr 06, 2021
But its not only dangote cement that's expensive in Nigeria na. Other cement brands are also expensive
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by tayooluwole: 8:08pm On Apr 06, 2021
Aconomist:

All of this information is in Dangote's financial report. He sells cement at double his cost of production in Nigeria (60% EBITDA margin) compared to a 22% EBITDA margin in other African countries.

The man is more than wicked,,,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by Kiloseria: 8:09pm On Apr 06, 2021
Honestly, Dangote is impoverishing Nigerians. Something has to be done with this cement issue.

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by blueAgent(m): 8:09pm On Apr 06, 2021
angelfallz:
Bros, this is an excerpt from an article in the premium times newspaper, "Local production is useful but it should not come at all costs. So much was made of the expected outcomes for Nigeria once cement production was localised, but have the premises for those promises been proven right? Available data shows that Nigerian cement firms have the world’s highest profit margins, with Dangote Cement having margins of 45 per cent, when margins of major cement producers in other countries in India, Germany, Mexico, range from 1 to 14 per cent, with one other outlier being China’s Anhui Conch Cement that has a 21 per cent profit margin."

You can read the full article here: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/opinion/450128-of-dangote-and-near-absolute-monopolies-by-cheta-nwanze.html

The funny part is that those firms spend more on labour, pension, and Health benefits than Dangote.

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by Kennitrust(m): 8:09pm On Apr 06, 2021
ayterajah:
Am not supporting dangote but my point of view is that what's the economy state of Zambia compare to Nigeria and don't forget that dangote it's not alone ... he have many govt officials under him
stupid excuse

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by cliqtips: 8:10pm On Apr 06, 2021
Aconomist:
Dangote is selling cement for 55 Kwatcha (1150 naira) in Zambia. But in Nigeria, the same cement is going for 3,000 to 5,000 naira. Dangote is the biggest problem in Nigeria. I have never seen such a wicked excuse for a human being in my live. EndSARS is over. It's time to start END DANGOTE.

please how much is it in the north ?
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by extol1(m): 8:12pm On Apr 06, 2021
CSTRR:

N25 per tonne for limestone.

That is daylight robbery.

The man is robbing the Nigerian people badly.

the man has render kogi useless. he is producing cement there and he has packed all the coal and still pack without doing anything to the community.
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by angelfallz(m): 8:14pm On Apr 06, 2021
yesloaded:

To make it simple, let FG unban importation of cement

It's that simple

USA doesn't have crude oil whereas we do here in Nigeria

The bolded, USA has crude oil.
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by CSTRR: 8:14pm On Apr 06, 2021
extol1:

the man has render kogi useless. he is producing cement there and he has packed all the coal and still pack without doing anything to the community.
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by Aconomist: 8:14pm On Apr 06, 2021
extol1:

Chase the bastard out.
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by angelfallz(m): 8:15pm On Apr 06, 2021
Interesting!
Aconomist:
It is a oligopoly (limited competition) not a monopoly. But Oligopoly is just as bad as monopoly because the few producers can coordinate with each other to keep prices high. Also note that Dangote's market share in the southern part of the country is pure monopoly. BUA Group sells mostly in the North and LaFarge only sells to civil engineering companies -- they don't usually do residential.
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by babamoha(m): 8:16pm On Apr 06, 2021
please what is the value of the naira to Zambia currency? with that we can know how good or bad the dangote guy is.
and main thing is that our government is our worst enemy
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by yesloaded: 8:16pm On Apr 06, 2021
angelfallz:

The bolded, USA has crude oil.
I c
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by Xisnin(m): 8:17pm On Apr 06, 2021
Aconomist:
When people ask me why I don't invest in Nigeria, remember this thread and responses like this. Nigerians are addicted to stagnation and justify their own demise -- only a fool would put his hard earned capital into a nation of monkeys like this.

Cement prices around the world range from $3 to $6 while Dangote is selling for the equivalent of $11 for a profit margin of 60% in Nigeria compared to an industry average profit margin of 5% to 12%. He is able to charge these high prices because of low competition -- he kicked out competitors by hoarding limestone resources and convincing the federal government to ban imports.

According to Rabiu of BUA Group, Nigeria's real cost of cement production is the lowest in the world. The high prices are because of price gouging and monopolistic behavior from Dangote.

The price of some drugs in the US is higher than in Canada despite many being manufactured inside the US.
If you have ever owned a business, you would understand that your comparison does not follow as many
things factor into the price. There are three ways to drive down the price, competitors, importing, or new laws.

Zambia manufactured cement will carry Zambia's price. Even some prices of goods vary within Nigeria.

If cement production cost is the lowest in the country, I expect BUA to have run Dangote out of business
by slashing the price by half and running Dangote out of business?
As far as I know, there is no law banning new companies from investing in cement production.

While I am not a fan of price-fixing as it creates more problems in the long run.
You could start a campaign for the price of cement to be fixed and any other products you consider too expensive.
Blackmail doesn't work against businesses as only profit matters.

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by CSTRR: 8:17pm On Apr 06, 2021
I would rather the natural resources remain in the ground till a State government can utilize it under a federated system.

It's better than it going to one man's Forbes listing.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by sammyj: 8:18pm On Apr 06, 2021
Don't mind him, the big size of the economy translate to volumes which equals lesser cost of the products in Nigeria !!! That man is a SCAM!!! shocked shocked
Aconomist:
The size of the economy doesn't matter. Cement price is selling for between 1,500 and 1,900 in South Africa, which is a large economy like Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by MansoryMX(m): 8:19pm On Apr 06, 2021
samwash:
Let's face the reality, many factors comes into play in the production industry.
lets compare Zambia to Nigria in terms of
Economic growth
Government policies & tax
Dollar exchange rate
Source of raw materials
Market competivenes
Manpower & Technology
Security, Power etc.
A company that has its factory in two different country ( lets say Nigeria & Benin Republic) will not sell a particular product the same price in both country even if they are neighbors.
Note; the value of the country local currency plays a major role that's were inflation comes into play.

If you do the currency conversion of the price of cement sold there to naira! You will understand Dangote is evil!

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by Ekeke1(m): 8:19pm On Apr 06, 2021
No distributors price is up to 4000 in Nigeria.

Please check and stop spreading lies
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by wumi2017(f): 8:20pm On Apr 06, 2021
LMS1:
One Tribe Like That Will Hire Pickup Trucks And Troop To Zambia Just To Go And Buy The Cement At Cheaper Price And Resell Them Here In Nigeria For Profits.
Igbo Kwenu!! grin

grin grin
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by CSTRR: 8:20pm On Apr 06, 2021
Xisnin:

The price of some drugs in the US is higher than in Canada despite many being manufactured inside the US.
If you have ever owned a business, you would understand that your comparison does not follow as many
things factor into the price. There are three ways to drive down the price, competitors, importing, or new laws.

Zambia manufactured cement will carry Zambia's price. Even some prices of goods vary within Nigeria.

If cement production cost is the lowest in the country, I expect BUA to have run Dangote out of business
As far as I know, there is no law banning new companies from investing in cement production.

While I am not a fan of price-fixing as it creates more problems in the long run.
You could start a campaign for the price of cement to be fixed and any other products you consider too expensive.
Illegal and undue profits are punishable, atleast in sane countries.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by Aconomist: 8:20pm On Apr 06, 2021
Xisnin:

Please do your research before leaving a comment. Nigeria cement prices are high because of scarcity. The government doesn't allow imports and Dangote chased other companies out of the industry by hoarding limestone resources in the Southern part of the country.

BUA is not the problem. He knows what Dangote is doing is wrong, but he has no incentive to lower his prices because he is struggling to meet market demand due to the lack of supply in the industry. When a businessman is asking for more competition, you know the situation is bad. Read here for more information.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2021/02/09/bua-advocates-liberalisation-of-cement-policy-to-crash-price/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by Wilespo: 8:21pm On Apr 06, 2021
Aconomist:

...en dangote ? baba them no force u buy the cement na.....there may be reasons its more expensive here...have u thought about the cost of power generation , security , cost of materials and taxes he pays to the government ? the cost of production is Zambia may be less than that in Nigeria.......take for example, if it costs 850 naira to produce a bag of cement in Zambia and in Nigeria, that same bag of cement costs 1250 to produce, will u advise him to see them the same price ? we should blame the government for their policies that discourages the well being of the masses rather than the man proprietor who is just trying to make profit which is the primary aim of any business man ........in my office, i work more and earn less than my American colleague ( we have a branch office in USA).....when i inquired to know why , my boss said its cheaper to run the office from USA than Nigeria.....these guys are business men, they pay heavy taxes, huge amount of money on security and settling community bullshit here and there....na our government be our problems bros.......if things are in place, these manufacturers will lower the costs of their products....but they are taking advantage of the inefficiency of the government to exploit the citizens for their personal gains and frankly speaking u wont blame them.
Re: Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia by macaranta(m): 8:21pm On Apr 06, 2021
LMS1:
One Tribe Like That Will Hire Pickup Trucks And Troop To Zambia Just To Go And Buy The Cement At Cheaper Price And Resell Them Here In Nigeria For Profits.
Igbo Kwenu!! grin

Nah, cost of shipping will eat up the perceived profits due to weight of cement.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

List Of All Online Stores In Nigeria / Femi Otedola Celebrates His Son, Fewa's Birthday (Photo) / Speculators Get Burnt As Naira Gains Value

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.