Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,720 members, 7,802,174 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall (62193 Views)

Lady Loses Job To 'Who Gave You My Number?' Question On WhatsApp / Lady Loses Employment Opportunity Over Semi-nude DP On Social Media / Lady Loses A Job After She Sent Messages Using Abbreviations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by 9jaRealist: 5:01am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
The HR person is at fault I am in HR and because of these kinds of reactions, I usually start my calls by introducing myself first so the other person knows who is calling and is at ease. He could have simply said "I am John D calling from bank. That wouldnt hurt. That said, the lady should have been cautious as a job seeker that was just interviewed and expecting phone calls. Lets call a spade a spade please.
Cutie09:
Which HR you guys dey do for Nigeria? When HR call the 1st thing tney do is introduced themselves and reasons for calling befor proceedings to am speaking to mr xyz if you day yes you are my xyz next question is to confirm your name, address etc if it matches what's on your cv.

Either the HR person that called is not trained HR assistant or your story is not true.

I come in peace

Bless you both!
I already made the same comment above before I saw yours.

The FIRST thing the HR person should do in introduce himself...
Even if she was rude, the HR caller was still OBLIGATED to identify himself.
>

3 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Mystery007(m): 5:06am On Apr 03, 2021
Airoflaw:
If you an unknown number call me ..I don't say anything until the person talk...no be me oo na for Nigeria security reasons
Thank you my brother, same here with me. Once I see an unknown number calling, I allow you talk first or we go just dey breath for phone. That was how one HR guy of a job I applied for called me, he didn't say anything at first so I kept quiet, when he finally decided speak up. He said I called you, you didn't say anything I told him straight up that I don't say anything first when unknown numbers call me, he apologized before he introduced himself

3 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by 9jaRealist: 5:11am On Apr 03, 2021
AFONAMARO:
You clearly know nothing about HR. No HR personnel tells an unidentified applicant his mission. He/she would strive to know who is on the phone before stating his/her mission.

When you take a call, you are supposed to at least, say hello, then the caller will introduce his/herself first, then ask if you are so so and so, before giving out his/her mission.

This is done to ensure that no personal information is released to a wrong person

Nothing to do with “mission” (as if he’s James Bond grin)...
He is however OBLIGATED to identify himself (even if it turns out to be a wrong number).
>
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by 9jaRealist: 5:14am On Apr 03, 2021
Validated:

Best response so. Nigerian HR's cannot, I repeat, cannot pass for telephone responders out of Nigeria. By the way, HR's are not HIRING MANAGERS, hence do not have capacity to disapprove of job offer signed by executive management. My conclusion, this is mere FICTION.

Exactly! GREAT minds think alike... cool
I suspect the real mission here is the misogynistic imputation that young Nigerian ladies are reflexively rude.

>

4 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by NwokoloOwa: 5:34am On Apr 03, 2021
That 'Who's is this?' is the most mannerless question any lady could ever ask. Very condescending. Anyway, sorry for her loss of the opportunity.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Lucas4903: 5:34am On Apr 03, 2021
Oga, don't beg to differ anything, that's the way HR should go, he should introduce himself first. I don't live in Nigeria and for every job placement that I got called, the HR person spends the first 2minutes introducing his or herself and then confirms if he or she is speaking to xxxxx.

We just like the witch-hunting style and it seems normal to us. HR is a profession and it's also developing and you are here begging to differ on stupid school of thought. Learn more about HR in the 21st century and you will be able to speak more than to postulate an archaic and relics of HR of the 60's.

quote author=Richy4 post=100408930]

I beg to differ with you sir.... The HR is not at fault.... The fact that you started by introducing yourself does not mean it only work that way... It goes both ways..

If you call me for example and I don't know your number, What will it take me to say Hello richy4 speaking.. it's just like a default setting for me.... Then U will say hi to me by calling my name, then introduce yourself to me.... If due to certain reasons you forget to introduce yourself, thinking I know you and might recognize your voice... I will say may I know who is speaking please.... It's just common etiquette and manners.. she is mannerless.

when u said she should have been cautious as a job seeker, were you indirectly implying that she should pretend to be nice while speaking to You as a HR then later unleash the stuff she was made of while working with customers?...No wonder mannerless people occupy customer service positions if U as someone working with HR couldn't see what the other HR saw.... I'm glad that the experienced HR dictated it early.. there were lot of mannerless people in the bank those days especially in First Bank.. Imagine adding this one to their statistics... though I don't know if they were still like that.. .
[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Atk1nson(m): 5:35am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
The HR person is at fault I am in HR and because of these kinds of reactions, I usually start my calls by introducing myself first so the other person knows who is calling and is at ease. He could have simply said "I am John D calling from bank. That wouldnt hurt. That said, the lady should have been cautious as a job seeker that was just interviewed and expecting phone calls. Lets call a spade a spade please.

If d job was for cso, which I suspect it was, the call was a passing assessment. Her ill-temper meant she was unsuitable for d role.

As a commenter put it: "we have been spared another rude banker".

So, I also disagree with you on this (not an hr person though)

3 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Mcslize: 5:38am On Apr 03, 2021
JaneYave:
Phone etiquette is very needful. If only she listened more and answered the questions, the problem with us is that we voice out too many unreasonable things.

Majority of girls are fond of doing that. They feel every man that says hello to them is about to toast them. All their boobs and yansh will begin to to stand firm.

As far as it's a male voice she heard on the phone, all heaven will be let loosed. All her adrenaline will be running high believing the man is about to chyke her without even having a second thought of what the purpose of the call could be.

Majority of ladies are guilty of this.

Even if it's a man that want to toast her, is it really a crime?

Now she has lost a job cuz of her uncultured manners.

4 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Asianjollof007: 5:52am On Apr 03, 2021
Primrose9ja:
She lacks the most basic etiquette.
We've been spared the stress of interacting with one rude banker.

You just made me remember this arrogant customer representative. Stupid man go dey talk and address person like say you come collect free food for bank, oloshi omo.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by DewiseKing: 5:52am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:

The HR person is not at fault...if you read through the conversation, you will discover that the HR person wanted to be sure he was talking to the right person first.....

4 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by favour32(m): 5:59am On Apr 03, 2021
Wether the HR wrong or not, the matter be say, na the girl lose.
She dey answer strangers like that before...so that day nai hand meet her.
Some females dey think say dem be animals wey dem dey hunt up and down thinking dem too much.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by seyz91(m): 6:03am On Apr 03, 2021
not some people but be specific. some vagina people

dem too dey form, imagine aunty no get job oo, she has nothin to her name besides the phone she used to receive call and chat with her toasters yet she dey form "how did you get my number" thats their slogan anyway not new to me undecided undecided

good she lost the oportunity! stupid aunty cheesy
Churchill6767:
Very Good..Some people are just so uncultured.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by seyz91(m): 6:04am On Apr 03, 2021
now you know your gender proble

alwas raisinf shoulders to guys and men calling then to toast you people
i no blame yna na the mumu wey dey call to toaste una for phone i go blame cheesy

serves her right grin
JaneYave:
Phone etiquette is very needful. If only she listened more and answered the questions, the problem with us is that we voice out too many unreasonable things.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Richy4(m): 6:18am On Apr 03, 2021
ivolt:

No. It doesn't go both ways when calling strangers.

That isn't your default setting. It is either you are a marketer, grew up with one or have been trained to answer stranger's call that way. Regular people don't introduce themselves to stranger's first. It is even a bad idea with the scale of insecurity and fraud going on in the country.

She is mannerless because she wants to know who is speaking before responding. You know nothing about this lady, absolutely
nothing but you assumed everything about her behavior.
Who she is? what did she just finished doing? or if the HR with a god complex is the sixth tricky caller on that particular day.
But she is mannerless because she demands to know her caller before confirming her identity.
That HR with over-bloated ego

Your "experienced" HR didn't detect anything but his bruised ego just like many people with authority in this country, he decided to "deal" with her as they normally do. If your model HR was a banker and was to secure a new account with a customer, the call will be very much different. He will certainly introduce himself first before confirming the identity of the call recipient. That HR needs retraining!

I don't care who you are, if you call and can't introduce yourself and I give you a chance by asking once, we have nothing to talk about.

I want to ask you some questions and I will like you to humor me with some answers smiley

<<<@ Bold, Why did you think that the HR's ego was bruised?...

<<< Based on what you have written about bruised ego and so on, who was the looser here, The HR or the Jobseeker?

<<<You said I know nothing about the Jobseeker... That is 100% correct....Now If you were a hiring manager, how would you know the right candidate for a job within the space of 45mins interview? Does his or her actions counts?..or just her qualifications?

<<< The job in question was a customer service job (Bank)...She will be the face of that organization.... She will be dealing with various kinds of people...Logically, based on the story that you read from OP, If you were to judge this professionally, do you think the lady in question have a Customer service management skills?....Do you think she will be wonderful with customers?

I will be happy to see your response... all questions carries equal mark....

N.B: It's about time Nigerian HRs stop all pretense and start giving out customer based jobs on people that were capable in all ramifications not only on certificate.. Most of Nigerians were angry over the video making around about the Chairman of Code of Conduct who is obviously qualified but lack basic things his office represents... which was conducts, comportment etc.. I still maintain that that Experienced HR averted a big problem for his company and the customers...

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Oyindaberry(f): 6:22am On Apr 03, 2021
Wisemfon:
A lady I referred for a bank job in the first week of June got a call this morning to resume work at an Uyo branch of the said commercial bank. She was fortunate to be among the few applicants that were shortlisted from among a large pool of graduates who got interviewed for the jobs.
No, but she won't be resuming!

She finally lost the opportunity because of a phone call.
She had received the call in the early hours of today, 10:00am precise. It was from the HR department of the bank.

But she didn't say "hello".

Her first remark when she picked was "who's this?"

Before she got any other reply she added "how did you get my number?"

The HR person goes "Am I speaking to Miss xxxxxxx?"

She felt the question is unnecessary! And she gave her final response.

"Please if you don't want to introduce yourself get out of my phone" that was her final word!

I got a feedback from the HR by 12noon today and I listened to that conversation. Those kinds of phone calls are always recorded for reference purposes.

Aunty lost the job because she lacks Phone Conversations Etiquette! I listened to the recorded version of that conversation.

She lost the job because she believes every unknown male caller is a "chyker".

You see? After all it's not always because HR people are "despicable" as they have been labeled by Nigerians!

Why would a Homosapien answer a phone call like this in the year 2020AD?

Watch out! Your next phone call might be your breakthrough! But your ill-manners could cost you the miracle
She’ll sulk for months when reality dawns on her. By the way, I’m a Masters degree holder in Industrial Chemistry and I’m available for referral sir smiley

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by ceejayluv(m): 6:25am On Apr 03, 2021
Airoflaw:
If you an unknown number call me ..I don't say anything until the person talk...no be me oo na for Nigeria security reasons
That's exactly what the lady did. If you don't want to pick up the call, ignore it.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by espn(m): 6:28am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
No please I disagree with you on this. People can pretend to be what they are not just to get something from you. Imagine him introducing himself immediately she picked the call... She would have definitely put up a different attitude.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by ceejayluv(m): 6:30am On Apr 03, 2021
Cutie09:

Which HR you guys dey do for Nigeria? When HR call the 1st thing tney do is introduced themselves and reasons for calling befor proceedings to am speaking to mr xyz if you day yes you are my xyz next question is to confirm your name, address etc if it matches what's on your cv.

Either the HR person that called is not trained HR assistant or your story is not true.

I come in peace
Just as another person posted, the lady likely picked the call and didn't talk as some e-ritual scared Nigerians do when they see a strange number.
When the HR guy voiced out, she entered aggressive mode.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by LegalOpinion: 6:40am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:

You shouldn't be in the HR department. Justifying the needless rude response and faulting the HR staff in the instant case, only shows how rude, unrefined and unprofessional you have been.

3 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by appliedscience(m): 6:41am On Apr 03, 2021
I was guilty of this in the past....
I recieved a call from promasidor hr.. Mr Lasisi but before he cud Introduce himsef, I playerfully concluded he was one of my frnd playing a prank and said.. Diji.... Stop the joke.....
He took a pause and late went on with his introduction and why he called.... I was mad at mysef for dat silly act... Needless to say I never heard anything from the company ever since...
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by franugo(m): 6:47am On Apr 03, 2021
ONNYX:

The phone is still a very new and underestimated tool as far as the African man is concerned.

Sometimes I just despair and the only option available is to switch off the phone. Random phone calls are what they are; random.
Oblige the caller some civility until his/her true caller emerges....and even then try not to be rude as it is never over until it is over.

Are you okay?

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by LegalOpinion: 6:48am On Apr 03, 2021
Cutie09:

I come in peace

You are very wrong.

When you place a phone call, the first thing to say is "hello"!

You must have a response before you proceed to say "My name is xxxxx, I am the xxxxx from Bleep. Am I speaking with xxxx?

You don't just ring somebody and start talking like sone kind of programmed robot.

5 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by hardbody: 6:51am On Apr 03, 2021
pocohantas:

I don’t see what is wrong with this question. I have been asked that question in English, Igbo and Yoruba. Some rudely, some out of curiosity, some dismissively. Nigerians are paranoid and on the lookout for scammers, so that question comes easily. I simply tell you where I got your number, some would apologize, some would still not be interested in speaking. I will ask if that is a bad time and I can call later. Whichever way it goes, no stress.

Nigerians are hardly ever quick to introduce themselves. They just call and go on till you ask “who is this?” Then they get angry again.

You may be right but at least when I call an unknown person, I first mention my name the moment you say Hello. In the extant case, I mentioned my name and was about saying why I was calling and the subject matter. So, while we are all paranoid about scammers, I think we must still recognize that we live in a world where we keep interfacing with people and therefore certain minimum standards must be met in our relationship with people, known or unknown.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by firstworld: 6:53am On Apr 03, 2021
For all of you that have been jabbing and yabbing me for my comments, I appreciate you all. However, you may not know so let me educate you a bit about how it works. As I stated, to avoid these types of attitudes, I had to devise a perfect means of communicating and it has worked like magic. Remember, the job of the HR person at that stage is simply to communicate information and not to assess anybody. He CANNOT on the basis of the girl's reaction, nullify that recruitment for any reason except it is his father's company. Most times, I am looking at your CV and calling you so the question of speaking to the wrong person is out of it. Take note. Secondly, this is Nigeria. We have so many scams flying around now and you can never tell who is on the other side so the proper thing to do is to introduce yourself first and do your job. Imagine calling a politician in Nigeria and asking if he is the person on the line. Who would answer you? Many of you here who are criticizing the lady would even do worse. I speak from experience so please listen. That said, I still emphasized the fact that every potential job seeker should be expectant of calls at any time and avoid being rude too.
firstworld:

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by pocohantas(f): 7:02am On Apr 03, 2021
Magnoliaa:

Another thing is people feeling entitled to your kindness and calmness. Like they'd get your number, call/message you and start beating around the bush, trying to prank you and talk about how you'll miss some goodness bla bla bla if you don't cut things right to the point.

And the "not all (male) caller is a chyker." Yes, but a good number of them are. Getting numbers from friends or 'stealing' it off a form or something. Men propositioned women like that and for someone who's had to tell them no a number of times, fed up, they'd respond like that.

You're the one reaching out, you should be the one to introduce yourself and your reason for calling right after the "hellos."

Thank you! Now everybody is a job-giver. You really know their MO. They call and just go on. Majority of the time, they NEVER introduce themselves. When you ask who they are, they start asking questions. Can’t you recognize this voice? Did you misplace your phone?

This is Nigeria where girls turn up dead in gutters and you don’t expect me to ask where you got my number because you are one imaginary HR or prospective husband? I would only ask you politely, but I would ask if I am unable to figure out who you are after few seconds, which is most times the case with strange callers.

4 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by hothire(f): 7:02am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:

If you are making an official call, be professional about it. The HR is at fault. As a professional, introduce yourself first, before going further with hour conversation, especially in this era of scammers
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Owodiran1(m): 7:03am On Apr 03, 2021
Another story please. I want to enjoy another story
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Geobenny(m): 7:07am On Apr 03, 2021
ONNYX:

You hit the nail on the head. We are going through a talking epidemic now where our egos are more prone to talking than listening.
If you have the opportunity of listening into an interview session you will simply be bewildered. You need tons of patience to deal with the present generation. To think that some of them are so arrogant in their very apparent emptiness.
gbamm!!!!! irrespective of the caller.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Pat081: 7:09am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
U are right but do you know that some people are crazy that they may not give you time to do that? This has happened to me too my boss ask me to call one lady to come over with her C. V ,I should have help her but the phone is on loudspeaker every body is hearing what she is saying like who is the fool or useless person that gv me her number that did I think she is looking for boyfriend and so on my boss just ask me to cut the phone and we have to call someone else so I believe that if someone else is not bad someone else will not be successful

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by tolugar: 7:10am On Apr 03, 2021
Jimmyubah2:

But why would the lady ask who is this without saying hello first?
She didn't even allow the HR to talk with her smelling attitude.

She got it all wrong.

Because when an unfamiliar no calls, you say hello and wait for a response.

But she was aggressive in her response and that’s so bad.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by kingsleyik(m): 7:12am On Apr 03, 2021
She will blame it on innocent village people now�quote author=Wisemfon post=100398203]A lady I referred for a bank job in the first week of June got a call this morning to resume work at an Uyo branch of the said commercial bank. She was fortunate to be among the few applicants that were shortlisted from among a large pool of graduates who got interviewed for the jobs.
No, but she won't be resuming!

She finally lost the opportunity because of a phone call.
She had received the call in the early hours of today, 10:00am precise. It was from the HR department of the bank.

But she didn't say "hello".

Her first remark when she picked was "who's this?"

Before she got any other reply she added "how did you get my number?"

The HR person goes "Am I speaking to Miss xxxxxxx?"

She felt the question is unnecessary! And she gave her final response.

"Please if you don't want to introduce yourself get out of my phone" that was her final word!

I got a feedback from the HR by 12noon today and I listened to that conversation. Those kinds of phone calls are always recorded for reference purposes.

Aunty lost the job because she lacks Phone Conversations Etiquette! I listened to the recorded version of that conversation.

She lost the job because she believes every unknown male caller is a "chyker".

You see? After all it's not always because HR people are "despicable" as they have been labeled by Nigerians!

Why would a Homosapien answer a phone call like this in the year 2020AD?

Watch out! Your next phone call might be your breakthrough! But your ill-manners could cost you the miracle[/quote]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Amcon Interview Next Phase! / How To Write A Letter Of Application For A Job / Here Is The Wicked Condition Someone Gave Before He Connects Me To This 80K Job.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.