Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall (62192 Views)

Lady Loses Job To 'Who Gave You My Number?' Question On WhatsApp / Lady Loses Employment Opportunity Over Semi-nude DP On Social Media / Lady Loses A Job After She Sent Messages Using Abbreviations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by akeeng: 7:17am On Apr 03, 2021
Ishilove:

That's the problem with the world. We talk too much. This present generation cannot tolerate the sound of silence
cool oxymoron

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by m140(m): 7:17am On Apr 03, 2021
Karleb:

It's as if some of you didn't read the OP.

The lady picked the call without saying HELLO then asked WHO IS THIS? Before getting a reply the proceeded with HOW DID YOU GET MY NUMBER?

Then the HR, obviously confused asked if he is speaking with Miss xxxx?

Then she didn't answer the question rather she threatened the gentleman and ended the call.

Let us not justify bad manners here, the lady is totally at fault. Let us be guided abeg.

I get calls from recruiters too and what they normally do is to introduce themselves after making sure they are speaking with the applicant.

If you don't want call then stop giving out your numbers. Give email instead.
Exactly.... you read the writeup well and

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by pocohantas(f): 7:18am On Apr 03, 2021
Pat081:
U are right but do you know that some people are crazy that they may not give you time to do that? This has happened to me too my boss ask me to call one lady to come over with her C. V ,I should have help her but the phone is on loudspeaker every body is hearing what she is saying like who is the fool or useless person that gv me her number that did I think she is looking for boyfriend and so on my boss just ask me to cut the phone and we have to call someone else so I believe that if someone else is not bad someone else will not be successful

She just picked the call and started saying all this? Very cool story. You all are suddenly giving jobs to females. The future is indeed female. I expect a sharp decline in the next unemployment stat, NBS would roll out. cheesy
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by BRATISLAVA: 7:18am On Apr 03, 2021
Juliearth:
Some Nigerians need to adopt the culture of being cultured while talking to strangers on phone. There are courteous ways of getting a wind of the person talking from the other end and assuming the call is an unwelcomed one, there are a thousand ways of ending the calls without hurting a fly. For instance instead of saying who's this, use "May I know who this is?"

Not only on calls.

Especially in person. They are so uncouth and so rude. They look down on people too much, except you are breathing dollars on them. Then they will suck up for tips.

The service I got at a Japanese restaurant was radically different from the same kind of restaurant run by Nigerian
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by BRATISLAVA: 7:20am On Apr 03, 2021
pocohantas:

She just picked the call and started saying all this? Very cool story. You all are suddenly giving jobs to females. The future is indeed female. I expect a sharp decline in the next unemployment stat, NBS would roll out. cheesy
Loooool

On the share your Xmas pic threads, you will see all these bubbly employers on display.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Dextre(m): 7:21am On Apr 03, 2021
Wisemfon:
A lady I referred for a bank job in the first week of June got a call this morning to resume work at an Uyo branch of the said commercial bank. She was fortunate to be among the few applicants that were shortlisted from among a large pool of graduates who got interviewed for the jobs.
No, but she won't be resuming!

She finally lost the opportunity because of a phone call.
She had received the call in the early hours of today, 10:00am precise. It was from the HR department of the bank.

But she didn't say "hello".

Her first remark when she picked was "who's this?"

Before she got any other reply she added "how did you get my number?"

The HR person goes "Am I speaking to Miss xxxxxxx?"

She felt the question is unnecessary! And she gave her final response.

"Please if you don't want to introduce yourself get out of my phone" that was her final word!

I got a feedback from the HR by 12noon today and I listened to that conversation. Those kinds of phone calls are always recorded for reference purposes.

Aunty lost the job because she lacks Phone Conversations Etiquette! I listened to the recorded version of that conversation.

She lost the job because she believes every unknown male caller is a "chyker".

You see? After all it's not always because HR people are "despicable" as they have been labeled by Nigerians!

Why would a Homosapien answer a phone call like this in the year 2020AD?

Watch out! Your next phone call might be your breakthrough! But your ill-manners could cost you the miracle

So what if she was in a bad mood on that very day. HR too should be able to introduce himself, it’s the logical thing to do after she said who’s this. Pride and ego don finish una for this country

1 Like

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by toprealman: 7:23am On Apr 03, 2021
seunny4lif:
Did you read the OP message at all?
The lady was rude and that's a red flag
According to the OP my dear, the HR person goes "Am I speaking to Miss xxxxxxx?"

How about this option:
Good morning, my name is ******** from useyourhead incorporated, am I speaking to Miss seeyourlife........

This is formal introduction at a professional level. You Nigerians have succeeded in bending everything out there to accommodate your ego!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by iyofason: 7:23am On Apr 03, 2021
" This present generation cannot tolerate the sound of silence."

( Ishi-brain)
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by BRATISLAVA: 7:23am On Apr 03, 2021
Mcslize:

Majority of girls are fond of doing that. They feel every man that says hello to them is about to toast them. All their boobs and yansh will begin to to stand firm.

As far as it's a male voice she heard on the phone, all heaven will be let loosed. All her adrenaline will be running high believing the man is about to chyke her without even having a second thought of what the purpose of the call could be.

Majority of ladies are guilty of this.

Even if it's a man that want to toast her, is it really a crime?

Now she has lost a job cuz of her uncultured manners.

Patent lies.

1 Like

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by BRATISLAVA: 7:29am On Apr 03, 2021
Emeka71:
She is not even qualified to take the job of a Bank worker; based on her bad manners because you and I know that Bank workers are kind people.

Which bank workers are kind people?

They are rude until they see your balance, then and only then do they become kind.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Clonus: 7:32am On Apr 03, 2021
Had a very similar experience in 2016! Was the Head Of Department in one private University. We needed to hire an academic staff so I had to go through the pool of applications( you can guess how large that pool was) to select some persons for invitation.

I phoned this guy but he didn’t take his call. He called later but because his number wasn’t saved on my phone I didn’t know he was the one.
Excerpts of our conversation :
Me : Hello
Him: Hello
Me: who are you please
Him: Are you okay, you called earlier I’m returning the call and you are asking who am I.
He ends the call!!

I immediately realized who he was and tried phoning several times but he didn’t take the calls.
I sent him a text to explain myself to him.
Come and see barrage of calls; He sent other staff to me and I eventually obliged and invited him for the interview.
When of course there came to be a point when choice was to be made between him and another person as to who to hire I followed my mind.

3 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cerebellum: 7:35am On Apr 03, 2021
ONNYX:

The phone is still a very new and underestimated tool as far as the African man is concerned.

Sometimes I just despair and the only option available is to switch off the phone. Random phone calls are what they are; random.
Oblige the caller some civility until his/her true caller emerges....and even then try not to be rude as it is never over until it is over.

why u no geh sensee dey quote post upandan
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by pocohantas(f): 7:35am On Apr 03, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Loooool

On the share your Xmas pic threads, you will see all these bubbly employers on display.

Lmao! Let them call me small and give me job na. Seems it is only ladies they give jobs o. I am polite abeg, make one person just call me.

toprealman:
According to the OP my dear, the HR person goes "Am I speaking to Miss xxxxxxx?"

How about this option:
Good morning, my name is ******** from useyourhead incorporated, am I speaking to Miss seeyourlife........

This is formal introduction at a professional level. You Nigerians have succeeded in bending everything thing out there to accommodate your ego!

I like to think majority of them have never received calls from actual HRs. Ordinary DSTV customer care sef dey introduce properly.

This story never happened, so it is normal OP muddles up details. However, the lesson is there for reasonable people to pick.

3 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Pat081: 7:35am On Apr 03, 2021
9jaRealist:

Bless you both!
I already made the same comment above before I saw yours.

The FIRST thing the HR person should do in introduce himself...
Even if she was rude, the HR caller was still OBLIGATED to identify himself.
>
and do you know that some people will not give you time to do that?? But the gal will not dead if she answer by saying just hello, pls who is this how may I be of help
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 7:36am On Apr 03, 2021
LegalOpinion:

You are very wrong.

When you place a phone call, the first thing to say is "hello"!

You must have a response before you proceed to say "My name is xxxxx, I am the xxxxx from Bleep. Am I speaking with xxxx?

You don't just ring somebody and start talking like sone kind of programmed robot.

Listen HR personnel are trained to be calmed if i call you as HR consultant i won't get angry because you didn't say hello

As long as i hear a response from you i must proceed because you are rude to me as HR consultant doesn't mean i will be playing "god"

you've gone through the interviews you have been shortlisted meaning you've potential to help the company (bank) grow so one bad mistake from you doesn't mean i will go into anger mode.

Mind you no book say first response must be hello, for all i know you maybe having a bad day as long as i hear a response i have to proceed. My mentality calling to tell u resume Monday is to chear you up not to make your day worse or worst. Have a good day sir

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by donbenie(m): 7:37am On Apr 03, 2021
Plead:

Fake story.
Who cares..

It's a mirror of what happens in the Nigerian world..

1 Like

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by dazzlingd(m): 7:38am On Apr 03, 2021
Lucky her, she just dodged a bullet.....bank work no be vette work
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Stockquality: 7:38am On Apr 03, 2021
Teller job for bank na work. Abegi
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by donbenie(m): 7:40am On Apr 03, 2021
Cutie09:

Which HR you guys dey do for Nigeria? When HR call the 1st thing tney do is introduced themselves and reasons for calling befor proceedings to am speaking to mr xyz if you day yes you are my xyz next question is to confirm your name, address etc if it matches what's on your cv.

Either the HR person that called is not trained HR assistant or your story is not true.

I come in peace
How could he introduce himself when the mannerless TW4T never gave him the chance to do that?

Hello..

Who be this?

Who gave you my number?

I no dey like disturbances..

Biko nọ dey Call my number..

Bla Bla Bla..

4 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Angelacruz: 7:40am On Apr 03, 2021
So true
Primrose9ja:
She lacks the most basic etiquette.
We've been spared the stress of interacting with one rude banker.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 7:42am On Apr 03, 2021
ceejayluv:

Just as another person posted, the lady likely picked the call and didn't talk as some e-ritual scared Nigerians do when they see a strange number.
When the HR guy voiced out, she entered aggressive mode.

Bros that's true but HR people are trained to be calm in all situations even threatening situations you are to be calm. Yeah she went into aggressive mode what we don't know is what she was going through before the call.
As long as she has gone through the interview process and the company shortlisted her one bad phone call shouldn't mustn't make the hr people reject her. In my opinion the HR guy or lady is absolutely wrong.

Ask people that work in customer service call centre they experienced rude and aggressive customer but what they do is isten and try to help.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 7:46am On Apr 03, 2021
donbenie:
How could he introduce himself when the mannerless TW4T never gave him the chance to do that?

Hello..

Who be this?

Who gave you my number?

I no dey like disturbances..

Biko nọ dey Call my number..

Bla Bla Bla..

Ha oga the answer is in second question. HR are to be calm.

Who be this? I am xyz from abc bank

I got your number because you apply for this job and you've been shortlisted to start next week. It is as simple as that.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 7:48am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
The HR person is at fault I am in HR and because of these kinds of reactions, I usually start my calls by introducing myself first so the other person knows who is calling and is at ease. He could have simply said "I am John D calling from bank. That wouldnt hurt. That said, the lady should have been cautious as a job seeker that was just interviewed and expecting phone calls. Lets call a spade a spade please.
No he was not at fault.... if really you are in HR(I am too), you would know that regardless of how a person responds or how you introduce yourself, for business to not be put in jeopardy, people with wrong etiquette should not be let near a business till they can learn to be courteous to whoever regardless of who the person might be... now... note that the job was meant to be a bank job and banks have all manner of clients, rich; poor, polite, rude and what not but regardless they are all under one umbrella being "Customers"...... if she can be that rude, imagine how she might treat customers who are not well positioned in society..... forget that a man cannot offer much but his tongue in someone else's ear that matters is all but takes for that woman to ruin an entire establishment. She should fix up her attitude and try again....

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by natanyin: 7:49am On Apr 03, 2021
Did you see her response first How can you pick a phone call and the very question you ask is" who is this"
tolugar:
Pls take NOTE

Still on call etiquette

When making an official call,

The person making the call have to first start with introduction like..

Hello, this is Mr. Mathew calling from Zet bank ,
Am I speaking with Mrs Grace?....

Most HRs get this wrong.

For security reasons, you don’t have to call someone and start asking their names and whereabouts.

Let’s be civilized
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by donbenie(m): 7:52am On Apr 03, 2021
Cutie09:

Ha oga the answer is in second question. HR are to be calm.

Who be this? I am xyz from abc bank

I got your number because you apply for this job and you've been shortlisted to start next week. It is as simple as that.
That is how normal people are supposed to act..

Some of these entitied Nigerian girls thinks every male that calls them are out for one thing..

Their default settings are rudeness and insults..

How can you explain yourself when you are not given the chance to do so but rather assail by a barrage of insults?
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by tojahh(m): 7:53am On Apr 03, 2021
Abeg pocohantas give me your number make I call you o.

Them say na only girls den dey always give jobs. I get work for you for VI grin

Believe me. This story is fake! The op just dey jam talk up and down. How can an HR call you and not introduce himself? No matter the situation, even loan companies, when they call, they introduce themselves before going to business.
This na bullshit. The lady even asked *Who is this*? Why didn't the HR respond who he was? He want to play god so the girl will be begging him with tuoto. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 7:53am On Apr 03, 2021
AFONAMARO:

You clearly know nothing about HR. No HR personnel tells an unidentified applicant his mission. He/she would strive to know who is on the phone before stating his/her mission.

When you take a call, you are supposed to at least, say hello, then the caller will introduce his/herself first, then ask if you are so so and so, before giving out his/her mission.

This is done to ensure that no personal information is released to a wrong person

Bros. I am trained HR person and qualified too. I know what am talking about.

search people magazine online read articles on recruitment etc. Watch video on YouTube.

Look at phone conversation culture in nigeria people always say who be this etc the HR person should know that it is normal for average Nigerians to say that.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Rushna27(f): 7:58am On Apr 03, 2021
Indeed manners has a long way to go in helping one fulfil one's dream...... and don't be surprise dat she might be blaming God for not sending help to her.... it's well...

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Handsomebb: 8:05am On Apr 03, 2021
Airoflaw:
If you an unknown number call me ..I don't say anything until the person talk...no be me oo na for Nigeria security reasons

No HR will use a private number to call you, infact some of them will use a landline. it's serves her right, I mean even if the person na chyker sef she would have received the call politely and block the number, Life no hard o.
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by Cutie09(m): 8:05am On Apr 03, 2021
donbenie:

Their default settings are rudeness and insults..

How can you explain yourself when you are not given the chance to do so but rather assail by a barrage of insults?

@donbenie i honestly agree with you. Yes the default settings is rudeness insult and abusive words. Look at NL people reply to a faceless people post with abusive and swearing etc. It is the culture there that is normal. But HR person must be calm that is one of the quality of HR personnel.

I've seen a lot cuz of my accent here but the joy i always have is when they start saying sorry etc some do come for induction bringing me chocolate but i cant take it as it is against company policy.

2 Likes

Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by omaclarry(m): 8:08am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
The HR person is at fault I am in HR and because of these kinds of reactions, I usually start my calls by introducing myself first so the other person knows who is calling and is at ease. He could have simply said "I am John D calling from bank. That wouldnt hurt. That said, the lady should have been cautious as a job seeker that was just interviewed and expecting phone calls. Lets call a spade a spade please.

You are wrong, I always start my calls with hello good morning, and once the person im calling doesnt resopond in good manner, i lose interest in the call, i may even end it
Re: Lady Loses Job Opportunity Due To Her Response To HR's Phonecall by donhils: 8:10am On Apr 03, 2021
firstworld:
I don't believe you at all. First of all, it's called answering a call. When a call enters your phone, you're the one to pick up and answer, before the caller can now go on. In this case she picked up and started harassing the caller instantly

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Amcon Interview Next Phase! / How To Write A Letter Of Application For A Job / Nigerian Stock Exchange Graduate Trainee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.