Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria (1256 Views)

Southern And Northern Kaduna Agree To Split Kaduna State At Constitution Review / Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process / Zungeru Building Where Lord Lugard Signed Nigeria's Amalgamation Lies In Ruins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by AFONJAPIG(m): 10:44am On Apr 02, 2021
Who signed the 1914 Amalgamation?

Nnamdi Azikiwe was born in 1904(was 10years old when the 1914 treaty was signed)
Obafemi Awolowo was born in 1909(was 5years old when the 1914 treaty was signed)
Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was born in 1912(was 2years old before it was signed)
Ahmadu Bello was born in 1910(was 4years old before it was signed)
Michael Okpara was born in 1920(the treaty has been signed 6years before he was born)
Who and who signed these papers on 1914 and called it amalgamation of the Northern Region and Southern Region, that we shall live together as one family without War, Marginalization, Conflict of interest and crisis?
These Nationalists I mentioned above are still sucking breast at the time of this agreement.
You can't mix Red Oil and Palm kernel Oil together to get a good result.
You can't play Jazz and Etigi or skelewu in the club house at the same time and expect a good dance.
Is it that we are learning how to spell Democracy in our country or the teacher does not know how to teach?
Our problems started in 1914 because we don't know who signed it and there names and there intentions for signing it.
If they so called imperialists white signed it in the midnight while we were sleeping, the cock has crown, we have brushed our teeth, and taken our bath. Our eyes have opened to look for the amalgamation treaty and do something about it.
No Northerner can sleep with his eyes closed in the Southern part of Nigeria and no Southerner can do the same in the North. Inter marriage is a Taboo.
After 100years we are still importing toothpicks, going abroad for medical checkup, our lucrative cash crops has gone to moribund, Education for all by the year 2050, Unemployment is a baptismal name for graduates, a police officer cannot boast of his work because of vestige of his salary, our Obasanjo Space Center and Satellite Office at Abuja can not trace the location of Sambisa Forest.
And I repeat it again, who and who signed this amalgamation treaty?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Skyfly007: 10:47am On Apr 02, 2021
AFONJAPIG:

Nnamdi Azikiwe was born in 1904(was 10years old when the 1914 treaty was signed)
Obafemi Awolowo was born in 1909(was 5years old when the 1914 treaty was signed)
Michael Okpara was born in 1920(the treaty has been signed 6years before he was born)
Who and who signed these papers on 1914 and called it amalgamation of the Northern Region and Southern Region, that we shall live together as one family without War, Marginalization, Conflict of interest and crisis?
These Nationalists I mentioned above are still sucking breast at the time of this agreement.
You can't play Jazz and Etigi or skelewu in the club house at the same time and expect a good dance.
Is it that we are learning how to spell Democracy in our country or the teacher does not know how to teach?
Our problems started in 1914 because we don't know who signed it and there names and there intentions for signing it.
If they so called imperialists white signed it in the midnight while we were sleeping, the cock has crown, we have brushed our teeth, and taken our bath. Our eyes have opened to look for the amalgamation treaty and do something about it.
No Northerner can sleep with his eyes closed in the Southern part of Nigeria and no Southerner can do the same in the North. Inter marriage is a Taboo.
After 100years we are still importing toothpicks, going abroad for medical checkup, our lucrative cash crops has gone to moribund, Education for all by the year 2050, Unemployment is a baptismal name for graduates, a police officer cannot boast of his work because of vestige of his salary, our Obasanjo Space Center and Satellite Office at Abuja can not trace the location of Sambisa Forest.
Nice question

4 Likes

Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by JuanJO(m): 11:00am On Apr 02, 2021
AFONJAPIG:

Loud am o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Modphase: 11:14am On Apr 02, 2021
You are worried about 1914 you had no control over instead of ask the important question of why Nigeria never gor independence in 1957 like all is surrounding country.

A particular foolish wanting Nigeria to be united by fire by force for his own devilish reason deceive the British into waiting 3 more years for Northern Nigeria to be ready for independence so they can alamgamate but region.

Note Southern Nigeria was the one clamoring for independence yet this foolish man refuse to let the British grant independence just so he can fulfill his self aim but told his people are the one ahouting up n down begging like slaves n lunatic to leave the country Nigeria told.

1 Like

Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 11:26am On Apr 02, 2021
The elites. That word "elite" is a strong one.
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Dtruthspeaker: 11:35am On Apr 02, 2021
AFONJAPIG:

Sweet Question grin who are the Validly Authorised Signatories to that Document?

Who? I say who? grin

Let me see if they had a Valid and Lawful Authority!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Dtruthspeaker: 11:42am On Apr 02, 2021
Modphase:
You are worried about 1914 you had no control over instead of ask the important question of why Nigeria never gor independence in 1957 like all is surrounding country.

It is a very pertinent question for the Concept called "Nigeria" is Established and Founded in Illegality!

And it is The Law "Anything Founded on Illegality is A Nullity and can not stand not should it stand nor should it be allowed to stand!

And this is even besides the fact that the Almagamaters had No Legal Authority to Almagamate, themselves being An illegality!

For The Acts of An Armed Robber in the Course of his Robbery can not be Legal! angry

2 Likes

Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by gidgiddy: 1:45pm On Apr 02, 2021
I have seen a copy of the amalgamation document and there was no signature on it
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by afroedo: 1:51pm On Apr 02, 2021
I think our leaders were naive then
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Idiko1: 1:54pm On Apr 02, 2021
AFONJAPIG:

My sister, I hope the jackasses who shout One-Nigeria have answer to your well articulated question. The 1914 amalgamation of southern and northern protectorates had no legal bidding. It was all about colonialist interest which ended the day the real estate called Nigeria gained independence. However the area housed some foolish elements of human therefore has seen constant retrogression in development.

1 Like

Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Racoon(m): 2:14pm On Apr 02, 2021
The British needed the Railway from the North to the Coast in the interest of British business amalgamation of the South (and not of the people) became of crucial importance to British business interest.He said the North and South should be amalgamated.Southern Nigeria came into existence in January 1900…

At the Centenary of the fall of Benin, I wrote a piece in a number of newspapers but before I published the piece, I sent a copy to the Oba of Benin.So when Benin was conquered in 1896, it made the creation of the Southern Nigerian protectorate possible on January 1, 1900.

If you remember, Sokoto was not conquered until 1903. So, there was no question of nigeria at that time. After the conquest of Sokoto, they were able to create the Northern nigeria protectorate. Lugard went full blast and created what was to be known as the protectorate of Northern nigeria.

What is critical and important are the reasons Lugard gave in his dispatches.They are as follows: He said the North is poor and they have no resources to run the protectorate of the North; that they have no access to the sea; that the South has resources and that they have educated people.

Therefore, because it was not the policy of the British Government to bring the tax-payers money to run the protectorate, it was in the interest of the British tax payer that there should be amalgamation. But what the British Amalgamated was the Administration of the north and south. That is one of the root causes of the problems of nigeria and the Nigerians.

When the amalgamation took effect, the British govt sealed off the South from the North.Then between 1914 & 1960, that’s a period of 46 years, the British allowed minimum contact between the North & South because it was not in the British interest that the North be allowed to be polluted by the educated South. That was the basis on which we got our independence in 1960 when I was in the parliament. I entered parliament on December 12, 1959.
-(Being excerpts from the speech of Chief Richard Akinjide, SAN,  First and Second Republic Minister, at the public presentation of the first edition of the book “Fellow Countrymen- the story of Coup D’etats in nigeria” by Richard Akinnola, on June 12, 2000)
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Ahamefuna0001(m): 2:21pm On Apr 02, 2021
I signed it. cased closed
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by ablejesus26(m): 2:39pm On Apr 02, 2021
Hmm � this is a very fine question that presses the fact that wat we have is not of our own making and wish.

I wonder why every region can't come together and end this once and for all.��
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Racoon(m): 2:48pm On Apr 02, 2021
There were only 28 persons involved in the so-called “amalgamation” of January, 1914. While 6 persons were Nigerians, the rest were British including Frederick Lord Lugard himself, Lewis Harcourt (the secretary of state for the colonies whose name Port-Harcourt city took after leaving the original “Igweocha/Obumotu”) and other European officers in charge of the two Protectorates. The following were the ONLY “Nigerians” officially involved in the amalgamation signage:

• A lawyer, Sir Kitoyi Ajasa (representing the African community in Lagos as a Legislative Council member of the Colony since 1902). Lagos was mainly for the British. Then the rest were summed up as “African community” which included the returnee slaves of Sierra-Leone, Nigerians themselves, Ghanaians, etc.
• His Highness, Oladugbolu (Alaafin of Oyo)
• Hon. R Henshaw (Obong of Calabar)
• Hon. Maiturare (Sarkin Mussulumi and Sultan of Sokoto)
• Hon. Abubakar (Shehu of Borno)
• Hon. Usuman (Emir of Kano)

Note, from the above, that there was no Igbo traditional ruler involved. Not even the Eze Chima of Onicha those days. The Aro Expedition that was the final conquest of Igboland had happened 12 years earlier between 1901 and 1902 as the British Indirect treachery had been fiercely resisted by the Igbo people in the late 19th century. Again, note that there was more Fulani/Northern presence than any other “Nigerians” in the signage.

The “pact” between the British and the Northern Oligarchy had been sealed for over a century and what we complain of today should never be a surprise to anyone who knows history. We are merely slaves living out the dreams and arrangement of unconcerned bourgeoisies—by sheer force!

1 Like

Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by AdakaBoro8(m): 2:59pm On Apr 02, 2021
may be na spirit sign ham.. but the guys that signed that thing, is it that they are wicked or visionless?
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by xxxXXXxxx: 3:29pm On Apr 02, 2021
The question being asked is very pertinent.
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Dtruthspeaker: 4:19pm On Apr 02, 2021
gidgiddy:
I have seen a copy of the amalgamation document and there was no signature on it

Wow!

Now I can cry that Nigeria is illegitimate!
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Dtruthspeaker: 4:23pm On Apr 02, 2021
afroedo:
I think our leaders were naive then

They were not naive, they just did not have the Right to form Nigeria as the territories of "Nigeria" were Scattered Independent Units".

And to Legally Form "Nigeria" the Consent and Will of the people in those territories must be properly sought and obtained, BUT THIS WAS NEVER DONE!
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Dtruthspeaker: 4:26pm On Apr 02, 2021
Racoon:

-(Being excerpts from the speech of Chief Richard Akinjide, SAN,  First and Second Republic Minister, at the public presentation of the first edition of the book “Fellow Countrymen- the story of Coup D’etats in nigeria” by Richard Akinnola, on June 12, 2000)

grin The Truth is Always in the Past!
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Dtruthspeaker: 4:27pm On Apr 02, 2021
Ahamefuna0001:
I signed it. cased closed

grin you were nowhere near that place for it means you are older than Ziki! grin
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Dtruthspeaker: 4:30pm On Apr 02, 2021
AdakaBoro8:
may be na spirit sign ham.. but the guys that signed that thing, is it that they are wicked or visionless?

Do you not know that those British and European Armed Robbers are the masters of deceit and wickedness?
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by ec0malchemist(m): 5:26pm On Apr 02, 2021
The only thing is that Lord Lugard won't rest in peace for this mess be put us in.

Real life.
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by AdakaBoro8(m): 7:14pm On Apr 02, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Do you not know that those British and European Armed Robbers are the masters of deceit and wickedness?
then british are evil for doing gravious things for us..
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Dtruthspeaker: 7:23pm On Apr 02, 2021
AdakaBoro8:
then british are evil for doing gravious things for us..

Yes they are! And they taught Africans to do many of the bad things they do now do today!
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by AdakaBoro8(m): 7:28pm On Apr 02, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Yes they are! And they taught Africans to do many of the bad things they do now do today!
very bad
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by WhatCanIsay(m): 7:28pm On Apr 02, 2021
[quote author=Racoon post=100422677][/quote]

Thanks for the history lesson
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Jman24(m): 7:45pm On Apr 02, 2021
AFONJAPIG:

Meehn! I never thought about this
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by AFONJAPIG(m): 2:39am On Apr 03, 2021
Jman24:

Meehn! I never thought about this
the thing just entered my mind and I think I should ask this very question
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by orisa37: 7:15am On Apr 03, 2021
PUBLISH THE SEALED CERTIFICATE AND THE RESOLUTION FOR THE AGREEMENT
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Tetrahedron: 7:21am On Apr 03, 2021
grin grin grin
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by DonTim1: 11:24pm On Apr 04, 2021
Shocked your thread isn't getting the necessary attention it deserves. Good question op.
Re: Who Signed 1914 Amalgamation Of Southern And Northern Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 9:07am On Jul 11, 2023
Interesting topic.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Pantami A Terrorist? / Is The Nigerian Government Underestimating IPOB? / Is Fulani The Most Brilliant Race In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.