Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,874 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Why Are Apartments So Costly In Ibadan? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Are Apartments So Costly In Ibadan? (737 Views)

'Cement Is Costly': But People Are Still Building Storey Buildings / Why Are Apartments Not Sold In Nigeria? / Apartments To Let In Abeokuta Ogun State Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Apartments So Costly In Ibadan? by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:30pm On Apr 02, 2021
A cousin of mine recently started his life at the University of Ibadan. Students are not allowed on campus, so I arranged to get him an apartment close to the university, in case of any new developments.

Last month, just after the school resumed officially, I transferred 200k to him to get a nice self-contain apartment with borehole water.

You won't believe that I had to add some more money to the 200k before this boy got a decent place.

From the experience we have had, basic rent is not the issue, but total packages.

When the man I entrusted my cousin to could not land a nice place with the initial 200k, I had to drive down to Ibadan to see for myself.

I am a graduate of the University of Ibadan, and I can't remember houses being so expensive when I lived in the ancient city. So, I strolled in like a king expecting everything to fall in place at my arrival. But I was SHOCKED.

Even houses in terrible shapes were being put out at ridiculous amount of money. There was a room so small that my TV alone will take up the whole space, and yet total package was almost 300k.

There was even one apartment where a small room was added to turn an initial one room to a room self contain apartment. The toilet is so small, you will have to stand on the water closet if you hope to use the shower. And yet the agent wanted 250k.

Haba! I can't understand it. What is happening in Ibadan? Or is it everywhere?

Even during my time in Abuja, rents and total packages were not so far apart.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Apartments So Costly In Ibadan? by anthonyuncle(m): 2:09pm On Apr 02, 2021
na yahoo boys cause am

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Apartments So Costly In Ibadan? by BRATISLAVA: 8:55am On Apr 15, 2021
What if he was lying to you?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Apartments So Costly In Ibadan? by lilvicky68(m): 9:59am On Apr 15, 2021
BRATISLAVA:
What if he was lying to you?
I thought as much.. I heard cost of living is cheap there..

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Apartments So Costly In Ibadan? by Elxandre(m): 10:08am On May 06, 2021
lilvicky68:

I thought as much.. I heard cost of living is cheap there..
It is not cheap at all, but I think the total package is a bit exaggerate.
200k should get a self contain, agent fees included.
Re: Why Are Apartments So Costly In Ibadan? by CharlesJok3r: 1:35pm On Aug 24, 2021
anthonyuncle:
na yahoo boys cause am
No lie... These yahoo boys spoil a lot of things.
Re: Why Are Apartments So Costly In Ibadan? by Ungodly: 6:12am On Mar 14, 2022
BluntTheApostle:
A cousin of mine recently started his life at the University of Ibadan. Students are not allowed on campus, so I arranged to get him an apartment close to the university, in case of any new developments.

Last month, just after the school resumed officially, I transferred 200k to him to get a nice self-contain apartment with borehole water.

You won't believe that I had to add some more money to the 200k before this boy got a decent place.

From the experience we have had, basic rent is not the issue, but total packages.

When the man I entrusted my cousin to could not land a nice place with the initial 200k, I had to drive down to Ibadan to see for myself.

I am a graduate of the University of Ibadan, and I can't remember houses being so expensive when I lived in the ancient city. So, I strolled in like a king expecting everything to fall in place at my arrival. But I was SHOCKED.

Even houses in terrible shapes were being put out at ridiculous amount of money. There was a room so small that my TV alone will take up the whole space, and yet total package was almost 300k.

There was even one apartment where a small room was added to turn an initial one room to a room self contain apartment. The toilet is so small, you will have to stand on the water closet if you hope to use the shower. And yet the agent wanted 250k.

Haba! I can't understand it. What is happening in Ibadan? Or is it everywhere?

Even during my time in Abuja, rents and total packages were not so far apart.

It’s really crazy now, it’s like an epidemic that has spread all over Ibadan… things use to be very cheap in Ibadan even if it is expensive in other parts of Nigeria… I could remember my father let out a 4 bedroom apartment with a well fenced compound, a well, and a shop for 150k total package in 2012. You’d only rent a house for 350k-450k If you live in Bodija or some other nice estates, Now things are not the same anymore because that same amount of money will hardly get you an apartment at Elebu of all places. Lol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Apartments So Costly In Ibadan? by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:09am On Mar 14, 2022
"Lagos" is extending to Ibadan.

More commercial activities are starting to happen there, too.
To think that I once considered moving to Ib City.

(1) (Reply)

₦75M: 4 Bedrooms Detached Duplex For Sale At Ajah (Photos) / Rugged 190ah Power Safe Inverter Batteries At Giveaway Price / Help! The Very First And Only Property I’ve Ever Acquired All My Life Is Revoked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.