Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,884 members, 7,798,955 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? (1747 Views)

Can You Identify This Plant? / Can You Identify This Fruit? / Buyers Of Onions And Tomatoes In Bulk Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by hahn(m): 11:32am On Apr 03, 2021
I saw this species of tomatoes at a friend's place.

I tried searching for it on Google but couldn't come up with any results.

Can anyone identify it?

1 Share

Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by Nobody: 11:33am On Apr 03, 2021
cheesy

Dear hahn my Christian brother, that's a "Cucumberious-Tomatoes" mostly grown at Equitorial Guinea, Angola and Mozambique, these species are mostly used as pleasurable toys for the other "species" especially the bitter Feminist.

This can fetch you good cash if you go into the business full time.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by hahn(m): 11:34am On Apr 03, 2021
More

Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by habsydiamond(m): 11:49am On Apr 03, 2021
Tomatoes eléjò... Lolzzz.. Snake tomatoes

2 Likes

Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by Hakeem12(m): 11:59am On Apr 03, 2021
JidennaJason:
cheesy

Dear hahn my Christian brother, that's a "Cucumberious-Tomatoes" mostly grown at Equitorial Guinea, Angola and Mozambique, these species are mostly used as pleasurable toys for the other "species" especially the bitter Feminist.

wow, never seen it before.
Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by Hakeem12(m): 12:00pm On Apr 03, 2021
Wait for righteousness to come call it a sign of end times

1 Like

Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by xpressionx(m): 12:17pm On Apr 03, 2021
Lalastis tomatis.Very good for cooking snake stew.
Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by Barbsamiin: 12:22pm On Apr 03, 2021
This is korean long tomato.
Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by illicit(m): 12:31pm On Apr 03, 2021
We call it snake tomatoes

It may not even be tomato species

1 Like

Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by Kehfie(f): 12:36pm On Apr 03, 2021
JidennaJason:
cheesy

Fake news
Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by Kehfie(f): 12:38pm On Apr 03, 2021
hahn:

Can anyone identify it?

Snake tomato (Trichosanthes cucumerina) locally known as “elejo tomato” is a variety growing mostly wild in southwestern Nigeria. It is mainly found in the states of Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti, Ondo and Edo. This long vegetable, which resembles to a cucumber, is richer in vitamin C, vitamin A and essential amino acids and calcium than the more popular and widespread tomatoes. It is less demanding as far as soil is concerned and thus ideal for southwestern Nigeria. Snake tomato is used to prepare stews and is added in many local dishes, but is also used locally as a medicine, given its high concentration of vitamins. It used to be widely grown in the 60s and was very common in the local markets but nowadays not many are familiar with this food, especially younger generations. Nowadays attention has shifted to the more commercialized vine tomato, mostly to make paste, leaving snake tomato to grow wild, with little attention to its potential. As a basic foodstuff and vitamin provider snake tomato could prevent malnutrition and help fight the eye diseases, which are particularly prevalent amongst children in the region. Moreover, the cultivation itself would be a further source of income for farmers.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by Attit: 12:44pm On Apr 03, 2021
hahn:

Can anyone identify it?

It is called Trichosanthes Cucumerina.
It is grown in the South Western part of Nigeria. I do not know which disease can easily penetrate it. It is more of cucurbit in my view, and eaten in Asia when it is not fully matured. But eaten in the south west when it is red as a substitute for tomato. More papers are coming out as this stuff is useful. I can tell you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by Attit: 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2021
Kehfie:

Snake tomato (Trichosanthes cucumerina) locally known as “elejo tomato” is a variety growing mostly wild in southwestern Nigeria. It is mainly found in the states of Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti, Ondo and Edo. This long vegetable, which resembles to a cucumber, is richer in vitamin C, vitamin A and essential amino acids and calcium than the more popular and widespread tomatoes. It is less demanding as far as soil is concerned and thus ideal for southwestern Nigeria. Snake tomato is used to prepare stews and is added in many local dishes, but is also used locally as a medicine, given its high concentration of vitamins. It used to be widely grown in the 60s and was very common in the local markets but nowadays not many are familiar with this food, especially younger generations. Nowadays attention has shifted to the more commercialized vine tomato, mostly to make paste, leaving snake tomato to grow wild, with little attention to its potential. As a basic foodstuff and vitamin provider snake tomato could prevent malnutrition and help fight the eye diseases, which are particularly prevalent amongst children in the region. Moreover, the cultivation itself would be a further source of income for farmers.
Sister, if I had read your post, I wouldn't have posted too. Lol. You are 100% accurate. See eh...I am moving back to those ancient (heirlooms) seeds. A no go come allow dem use me do sample. I gat to live up to 120 years in good health.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by Kehfie(f): 1:12pm On Apr 03, 2021
Attit:

Sister, if I had read your post, I wouldn't have posted too. Lol. You are 100% accurate. See eh...I am moving back to those ancient (heirlooms) seeds. A no go come allow dem use me do sample. I gat to live up to 120 years in good health.
God bless you my Oga. Following you keenly. Welcome back.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can You Identify What Tomatoes This Is? by centilad(m): 10:30am On Sep 16, 2021
cool V.Correct
Kehfie:

(1) (Reply)

Seedlings / Rice Farming Is Most Profitable In Nigeria Today – Adesina / Broiler Chicken For Sale (in Abeokuta)With Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.