Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,772 members, 7,806,125 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms (45140 Views)

Partial disconnection: Glo Subscribers To Be Barred From Calling MTN Lines - NCC / Confusion As Telcos Alert Subscribers To NIN-SIM Link Irregularities / Telecom Subscribers To Pay 5% Tax On Calls, Text, Data (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by MichaelSokoto(m): 7:30am On Apr 04, 2021
adioolayi:
Wahala dey.....They will still lose millions of transactions.

How many people are on those platforms or are ready to download the apps

USSD links with Bank Account is the most common and very easy to use for Nigerians.

Anyways, it's trade war, let's see who wins.

MTN giving Nigerian subscribers opportunity to reactive , recharge their abandoned alternative (Glo, Airtel, 9mobile) lines
Carbon, interswitch uses ussd
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by brandsoncharlie: 7:31am On Apr 04, 2021
nextstep:
Of course this is a nice move... the banks need to have competition.
On the other hand, guess what's going to happen when you need to put Naira into a fintech account, or take it out. wink
But the end point is the bank because people will transfer money to those fintech accounts to use for purchase of airtime, don't even know if it may come at a charge.
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by Ademat7(m): 7:36am On Apr 04, 2021
Erastuslove:
Type *904# and they will ask for card number? What they mean please?
A Fintech gateway need your atm details to deduct d airtime money.
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by frowland(m): 7:50am On Apr 04, 2021
EmptyGarden:
On this matter, I stand with the Banks. MTN useless!

Banks, especially Nigerian banks should have no business selling recharge cards. This literally took away the jobs/businesses being managed by petty traders and other smaller platforms.
CBN should stop banks selling recharge cards and cable subscriptions and some petty utility bills. This will inadvertently create jobs for upcoming fintech startups and small businesses.

2 Likes

Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by frowland(m): 7:52am On Apr 04, 2021
donproject:

It is reported that they reduce the commission they give to those banks from 3.5% to 2.5%, that is the course of the problem, nothing hidden anywhere.

Continue standing with this greedy banks.
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by 9jaRealist: 7:56am On Apr 04, 2021
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by pmc01(m): 7:58am On Apr 04, 2021
Alejoas:
Let us see who blinks first! Fintech are waiting to pounce on any shortcoming of the banks. Customer is king and i expect mtn to have the upper hand because there are alternatives to the bank but difficult to move to other network. I have ten to twenty fours hours external battery for laptop for sale. You will be impressed!.

Let me see
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by OlujobaSamuel: 8:01am On Apr 04, 2021
DelTel:

Quite interesting to see people support MTN on this, has MTN reduced calls or data rates or any of their services to justify the reduction in commission rate.

What reason(s) has MTN provided to reduce commission arbitrarily whereas other Telcos didn't.

The new platforms they are promoting are just smokescreens, MTN has agenda they are working on to push everyone out of the market. While I am less bothered about the banks, I am for the SMEs (or are you unaware roadside, paper-based and e-recharge commission is also affected).

The same matter is brewing with electricity companies, they keep reducing commission for SMEs whereas the electricity rate keeps going up.

MTN don't want anyone to make money in their space (every unit in MTN boost of cost reduction), whereas same MTN is encroaching other market space i.e selling inverter.

How a South African company plans to kill SMEs and Nigerians are in support baffles me.

It's not only MTN
Others too did. Other network commission was higher than that of MTN before so even with reduction, it still didn't have significant effect.
I know this because this issue also affect MTN paper voucher too and not just virtual recharge.
9mobile was the first to increase, then Airtel followed by Glo about 3weeks ago, but sellers still get about 3 to 4 naira on every #100 recharge, MTN is now about #1 to #1.5 from #2 to #3 depending on location.
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by Tundex911: 8:02am On Apr 04, 2021
Blame bubu...

Smh
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by JustCurious: 8:04am On Apr 04, 2021
MTN is as greedy as those banks!
Omo Iya kan na n niwon.

Why would you reduce the commission allotted the banks from 3.5% to 2.5% when you are still marking huge profits?

I would rather buy from the road sellers than move platforms.

But, seriously this is bullying! How could MTN do this to our indigenous Banks? I stand with the Nigerian Banks. cool
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by Bankalert(m): 8:08am On Apr 04, 2021
LarryA1:
so the summary of the whole thing be say na 1.00 naira cause the matter
be like you fail maths for school
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by TheKingIsHere: 8:09am On Apr 04, 2021
EmptyGarden:

So it was the owing that necessitated commission reduction?

It might be one of the reasons.

Let the banks pay their debts

Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by Femeto: 8:09am On Apr 04, 2021
MASTAkiLLAh:
Good one from MTN, the greedy banks can go suck a rhino's díck cool
Am telling you. Its that theif called Emefiele that is ruining the banks. He gives them power to do any how. Its now time for Fintechs to completely dominate the banking industry. Am sure other Telcos would soon join in.
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by TheKingIsHere: 8:15am On Apr 04, 2021
Taku555:
What do you mean by greedy Banks? Do you really understand what is happening? Before, the only share MTN banks get was 4% out of the recharge but now MTN wants banks to take half of what they get formerly. If you were the one, would you accept?

Tell the banks to pay their debt they owe the telcos...if you were the one, will you accept?

Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by edoairways: 8:16am On Apr 04, 2021
LagBlogger:
Banks will lose while fintechs will grow rapidly
Many Nigerians don't even know how to use fintech. You need data to buy airtime
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by AntiWailer: 8:17am On Apr 04, 2021
MASTAkiLLAh:
Good one from MTN, the greedy banks can go suck a rhino's díck cool

MTN reduced their commission but the banks are greedy.

I guess you read upside down
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by Oyiboman69: 8:17am On Apr 04, 2021
PrimadonnaO:
Time for JumiaPay to shine.

I'm finally going to respond to their many unsolicited mails asking me to recharge via their platform.
how do you connect it to your bank account?
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by Oyiboman69: 8:19am On Apr 04, 2021
nextstep:
Of course this is a nice move... the banks need to have competition.
On the other hand, guess what's going to happen when you need to put Naira into a fintech account, or take it out. wink
what will happen?
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by hedonido: 8:21am On Apr 04, 2021
The future is........female Fintech, no doubt.
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by Topmaike007(m): 8:21am On Apr 04, 2021
Time to change all my account phone number to my glo line...

Right from time I no like South Africa startup
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by ecolime(m): 8:21am On Apr 04, 2021
DelTel:

Quite interesting to see people support MTN on this, has MTN reduced calls or data rates or any of their services to justify the reduction in commission rate.

What reason(s) has MTN provided to reduce commission arbitrarily whereas other Telcos didn't.

The new platforms they are promoting are just smokescreens, MTN has agenda they are working on to push everyone out of the market. While I am less bothered about the banks, I am for the SMEs (or are you unaware roadside, paper-based and e-recharge commission is also affected).

The same matter is brewing with electricity companies, they keep reducing commission for SMEs whereas the electricity rate keeps going up.

MTN don't want anyone to make money in their space (every unit in MTN boost of cost reduction), whereas same MTN is encroaching other market space i.e selling inverter.

How a South African company plans to kill SMEs and Nigerians are in support baffles me.

You are a wise person. Most people commenting against the banks are only doing so out of personal disdain.

1 Like

Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by Alejoas(m): 8:22am On Apr 04, 2021
pmc01:

Let me see

Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by FanOfMyself: 8:22am On Apr 04, 2021
Alejoas:
Let us see who blinks first! Fintech are waiting to pounce on any shortcoming of the banks. Customer is king and i expect mtn to have the upper hand because there are alternatives to the bank but difficult to move to other network. I have ten to twenty fours hours external battery for laptop for sale. You will be impressed!.
How much is the battery pls?
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by Unseen(m): 8:22am On Apr 04, 2021
I am beginning to wonder why Paystack is always left out these days in talk of FinTech in Nigeria.

The other day, CBN listed approved FinTechs and Paystack was not on the list.

Today, MTN collaborate with FinTechs and Paystack was not listed.
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by providencia(m): 8:22am On Apr 04, 2021
SanctifiedSista:
I pray this JESUS CHRIST resurrect the brains of these organisation and help them settle amicably

Happy Easter, congratulations to everyone
Happy easter sister
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by edoairways: 8:24am On Apr 04, 2021
Codes151:
you don't read
bcomputer101 is right. Most Nigerians find it convenient to recharge via ussd code via their banks.
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by airsaylongcome: 8:28am On Apr 04, 2021
bcomputer101:
MTN will loose this fight.

Let dem continue with their initial gragra.
Most Nigerians knows little or nothing about Flutterwave, Jumia Pay, OPay, Kuda, Carbon and BillsnPay.

I stand with banks on this.

Most Nigerians knew little about online shopping until Jumia came. We knew little about using ATM cards until Interswitch came. Na something dey push us. Now MTN is about to spur the push into Fintech payments

3 Likes

Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by airsaylongcome: 8:30am On Apr 04, 2021
edoairways:

bcomputer101 is right. Most Nigerians find it convenient to recharge via ussd code via their banks.

That shouldn't be a problem. Fintech's will just get a USSD
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by Mars16(m): 8:31am On Apr 04, 2021
LagBlogger:
Banks will lose while fintechs will grow rapidly
Sure because the FINTECH will still use banks.
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 8:35am On Apr 04, 2021
Honestly, I'm okay with MTN making that moves...

The Banks have never been kind to it customers too with it 'Ipaja and Somolu' style deductions..
Re: USSD: MTN Snubs Banks, Links 77 Million Subscribers To FINTECH Platforms by Oyiboman69: 8:37am On Apr 04, 2021
airsaylongcome:

That shouldn't be a problem. Fintech's will just get a USSD
how will the money in my bank account get to fintech's?...will. there be a relationship between the two?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Whatsapp Now Offers Protection For Your Profile Pictures / About Mafab Communications & Profile Of The Owner, Musbahu Bashir / 5 Smart Phones With Best Cameras In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.