Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

Ribadu's Expensive Gamble - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu's Expensive Gamble (3807 Views)

Ribadu’s Appointment Is An Insult – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 8:27pm On Apr 18, 2011
OAM4J:

But imagine a situation where your political ambition in ACN is only feasible if Tinubu and not majority of the party members approves it.
the lack of internal democracy in ACN is scary.
If i was a member of the party i might have sleepless nights.
I can't remember a decent primary election that was held in the party running up to these elections (open to corrections on this).
At least PDP had a semblance of primaries.
I hear Asiwaju saying he is building a legacy that will outlive him.Like this?
What do seemingly intelligent men in the party know that we outside do not see that makes them subject themselves to a variant of slavery in this day and time?
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by PapaBrowne(m): 9:29pm On Apr 18, 2011
@OP
You can look at it from another angle. What if Ribadu was in this elections all the while just to scuttle Buhari's chances. For a job well done, he gets a top position in the Jonathan Government. He uses that position to build political capital and popular support in preparedness for 2015. He enters 2015 with more visibilty and political experience garnered from running in 2011. That to me is strategic thinking and I bet you it would serve him better than working in a Buhari party.
I also believe that was also Shekarau's strategy- use these elections to prevent a Buhari victory and garber enough exposure for 2015.

As per Tinubu, I always used to say it that since sometime in 2009, Tinubu was in the same ship with Obasanjo. They met sometime in that period.
They had one common goal- breaking the northern hegemony!! These two men are the greatest political strategists in Nigeria currently and they did a great job in pulling the rug of the northern hegemony!!
The Ekiti and Osun state victories were just trade-offs. Forget all those arguments between Katsina Alu and Salami.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 9:35pm On Apr 18, 2011
PapaBrowne:

@OP
You can look at it from another angle. What if Ribadu was in this elections all the while just to scuttle Buhari's chances. For a job well done, he gets a top position in the Jonathan Government. He uses that position to build political capital and popular support in preparedness for 2015. He enters 2015 with more visibilty and political experience garnered from running in 2011. That to me is strategic thinking and I bet you it would serve him better than working in a Buhari party.
I also believe that was also Shekarau's strategy- use these elections to prevent a Buhari victory and garber enough exposure for 2015.

As per Tinubu, I always used to say it that since sometime in 2009, Tinubu was in the same ship with Obasanjo. They met sometime in that period.
They had one common goal- breaking the northern hegemony!! These two men are the greatest political strategists in Nigeria currently and they did a great job in pulling the rug of the northern hegemony!!
The Ekiti and Osun state victories were just trade-offs. Forget all those arguments between Katsina Alu and Salami.

Not a few people believe he is a PDP mole anyway and i can never defendany Nigeia politican when it comes to integrity issues. The only peson i could stake something on is Buhari and the late Gani Faheinmi. Apart from those two there is no other person.

You talked about capital do you mean he will embezzel some money to use for 2015 ? grin grin
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Nobody: 11:04pm On Apr 18, 2011
God sparing our lives, I'm also consulting on where I can come in in Kwara politics, possibly in 2015 by God's grace. I may pick AC membership form anytime from now
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 11:25pm On Apr 18, 2011
Jarus:

God sparing our lives, I'm also consulting on where I can come in in Kwara politics, possibly in 2015 by God's grace. I may pick AC membership form anytime from now
you pick ACN form??
are you ready to prostrate at Bourdillon mansion?
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by OAM4J: 11:42pm On Apr 18, 2011
mbulela:

you pick ACN form??

Am surprised as well. I thought he will be among the younger generation that will take over and build CPC into a more formidable national party.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by ektbear: 11:48pm On Apr 18, 2011
CPC will be dead within 4 years. Buhari is not a planner or nurturer. If he has a fruit tree outside of his house, it has probably withered away due to neglect  undecided
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by OAM4J: 11:58pm On Apr 18, 2011
ekt_bear:

CPC will be dead within 4 years. Buhari is not a planner or nurturer. If he has a fruit tree outside of his house, it has probably withered away due to neglect  undecided

I think you are wrong. If anything CPC has just become the core North 'ACN', even though I would have wish it turns out to be a national party. Some of the governors that will be elected on Saturday under its platform with the likes of El Rufai will most likely drive it forward. Remeber in 2006 not many people know there is a performing Fashola in Lagos. 4 years is such a long time in politics to make such prediction.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by OAM4J: 12:04am On Apr 19, 2011
I also think 2015 belongs to a new set of National political leaders.

I would be surprised to still find the likes of Obj, Aninin, Buhari, IBB, Ciroma, Danjuma, Edwin Clerk, Ekweme and the likes in active politics by 2015.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 12:07am On Apr 19, 2011
Jarus:

My brother , you are most certainly welcomed . My uncle is now an ACN senator . He never had to prostrate for Tinubu. He did not take any oath and he was certainly not coerced into pledging blind allegiance to Tinubu. Folks can continue to spread their horror stories that is not at all based on facts . Fola Adeola attested to this when he said that no one is focused on Tinubu at ACN meetings .

I just don't understand how we Nigerian constantly and  regularly allude to a need to see Jesus-like virtues in our administrators when , for now , our Nation is far from a testimony to the most desirable virtues to be found in humanity. We have to manage what we have , currently, to gain progress and development . It is those who pragmatically understand that concept who contribute to our march towards a brighter future.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Moves: 12:34am On Apr 19, 2011
Ribadu got 2 Million votes; the next person to him shekarau 970k votes. I think he done well; he has put himself out there; so except the north promote his likes; younger detribalised northerners they should forget aso rock.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 7:31am On Apr 19, 2011
Jarus:

Brother, you could also look into the option of joining CPC and help build the party in Kwara, we have 3 years to go and a million things could be done in that.

ekt_bear:

CPC will be dead within 4 years. Buhari is not a planner or nurturer. If he has a fruit tree outside of his house, it has probably withered away due to neglect undecided

Buhari might not be the best strategist or politician but the people around him can help build this party coupled with his leadership, things could be achieved. If after saturday CPC produces 2 - 4 governors in the North then we sure have a party that could be built. ACN started with just 1 and that helped in propelling it.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 7:36am On Apr 19, 2011
Gbawe:

My brother , you are most certainly welcomed . My uncle is now an ACN senator . He never had to prostrate for Tinubu. He did not take any oath and he was certainly not coerced into pledging blind allegiance to Tinubu. Folks can continue to spread their horror stories that is not at all based on facts . Fola Adeola attested to this when he said that no one is focused on Tinubu at ACN meetings .

I just don't understand how we Nigerian constantly and  regularly allude to a need to see Jesus-like virtues in our administrators when , for now , our Nation is far from a testimony to the most desirable virtues to be found in humanity. We have to manage what we have , currently, to gain progress and development . It is those who pragmatically understand that concept who contribute to our march towards a brighter future.

There is no smoke without fire, i dont think your uncle contested in Lagos, those of us from Lagos know with 100% certainity that Tinubu controls who becomes what in the party up to the level of LGA chairmanship, sometimes pressure from local communities makes him compromise some candidates which is very normal but by and large he picks and chooses whom he wants.

In other SW states he gave a bit of free hand to Osoba in Ogun state, Lam adesina in Oyo state, Osun state he has Aregbesola in his pocket and how can we forget Ekiti senatorial primaries and the mess.

I replied your mail  wink
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 9:19am On Apr 19, 2011
Gbawe:

I just don't understand how we Nigerian constantly and regularly allude to a need to see Jesus-like virtues in our administrators when , for now , our Nation is far from a testimony to the most desirable virtues to be found in humanity. We have to manage what we have , currently, to gain progress and development . It is those who pragmatically understand that concept who contribute to our march towards a brighter future.
Gbawe, you need to respond to lagosboy comment above.
No one is asking for saints.
I would never have supported Buhari at the last election if i was looking for a saint.
all we are asking for are folks who can halt this monumental slide our country is heading.if we stem the slide, then we can begin to address the crux of the matter.
the complaint with ACN is a total lack of internal democracy for outside viewers.
I never heard of any primaries in any of the ACN chapters for these elections.If there was one, the media must have mischieviously missed it and i will appreciate a link.
you uncle probably contested outside lagos and if he did not prostrate for BAT, he probably did for Lam or Osoba.
I do not expect you or Adeola to come and tell us that 'yes, we are enslaved by BAT,what can we do?'
but it would be unfair of you to wave off the accusations when there is no proof to discount these assertions.
Tinubu and by extension ACN is playing a very important role in our polity, hence we need to hold it (him) accountable before a monster develops.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 9:21am On Apr 19, 2011
how about that undated resignation letter that ACN candidates are said to sign before being chosen to represent the party?
Thisday alluded to it this weekend when discussing the Bakare resignation letter issue.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbenge77(m): 9:25am On Apr 19, 2011
Ribadu stood no chance from the outset.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Nobody: 9:47am On Apr 19, 2011
mbulela:

you pick ACN form??
That was funny.
But I don't think I have to prostrate for Tinubu before getting AC ticket. In Lagos, almost impossible but in Kwara, I don't think so. I don't think Kwara's AC guber candidate, Dele Belgore, has much to do with Tinubu. I don't think the AC candidates that won NASS seats in some northern states like Adamawa, Kaduna, or in Anambra have anything to do with Tinubu. I agree Tinubu is the national leader and strongest man in the party, but I think the party is fast outgrowing him.

I have always had some sympathy for AC, simply because, as much as it is also populated by crooks, I admire the performance and administrative ideologies of a number of its topshots - Fashola, Aregbesola, Fayemi.

As for CPC, I believe in Buhari and Tony Momoh. Tunde Bakare is not a politician but he comes across as someone that will also not compromise. Other than those men, I don't know any other politician in that party I can vouch for. But at teh same time, the reason I believe crooks and opportunists took over the party in the north is because Buhari had a bigger challenge(presidential election) in front of him and had not time to sanitize the party, until after he crossed the election hurdle first. I believe he would not have spared anybody, including the crooks in his party too, if he won. But that did not happen and I have serious fears these men will men will cross back to PDP(as they did with ANPP) after riding on Buhari's back to power, since Buhari is not in charge at the central.

I can also not rule out the possibility of seeing what I can bring into CPC Kwara, but if you want to be a politician, you need to do some calculations as well. AC is teh party giving PDP a run for their money in my state. PDP is a total no-no. I can't compromise to the extent of joining PDP, but I believe AC is still not that bad. This is why I can't rule out joining AC, if at all I will enter politics.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 10:14am On Apr 19, 2011
Jarus:

That was funny.
But I don't think I have to prostrate for Tinubu before getting AC ticket. In Lagos, almost impossible but in Kwara, I don't think so. I don't think Kwara's AC guber candidate, Dele Belgore, has much to do with Tinubu. I don't think the AC candidates that won NASS seats in some northern states like Adamawa, Kaduna, or in Anambra have anything to do with Tinubu. I agree Tinubu is the national leader and strongest man in the party, but I think the party is fast outgrowing him.

I have always had some sympathy for AC, simply because, as much as it is also populated by crooks, I admire the performance and administrative ideologies of a number of its topshots - Fashola, Aregbesola, Fayemi.

As for CPC, I believe in Buhari and Tony Momoh. Tunde Bakare is not a politician but he comes across as someone that will also not compromise. Other than those men, I don't know any other politician in that party I can vouch for. But at teh same time, the reason I believe crooks and opportunists took over the party in the north is because Buhari had a bigger challenge(presidential election) in front of him and had not time to sanitize the party, until after he crossed the election hurdle first. I believe he would not have spared anybody, including the crooks in his party too, if he won. But that did not happen and I have serious fears these men will men will cross back to PDP(as they did with ANPP) after riding on Buhari's back to power, since Buhari is not in charge at the central.

I can also not rule out the possibility of seeing what I can bring into CPC Kwara, but if you want to be a politician, you need to do some calculations as well. AC is teh party giving PDP a run for their money in my state. PDP is a total no-no. I can't compromise to the extent of joining PDP, but I believe AC is still not that bad. This is why I can't rule out joining AC, if at all I will enter politics.

Okay, since you are almost an ACN man, in the absence of Gbawe you can answer my questions above.
Thank you.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by hercules07: 10:14am On Apr 19, 2011
See what happens when Pro GEJ people keep out of threads, CPC needs to toe the ACN line in terms of building itself up, they need to win here and there and to stay the course, they also need to bring in the progressives in the North, people like Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (  if he is interested ), Ribadu needs to move from the ACN to CPC because Tinubu's ambition is just too great to allow him become president. The politics we practise in Nigeria is sentiments politics, people do not care about track record or integrity, we southerners are as bigoted as the Northern people, we have the omo wa ni eje ki o se mentality.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 10:21am On Apr 19, 2011
mbulela:

Gbawe, you need to respond to lagosboy comment above.
No one is asking for saints.
I would never have supported Buhari at the last election if i was looking for a saint.
all we are asking for are folks who can halt this monumental slide our country is heading.if we stem the slide, then we can begin to address the crux of the matter.
the complaint with ACN is a total lack of internal democracy for outside viewers.
I never heard of any primaries in any of the ACN chapters for these elections.If there was one, the media must have mischieviously missed it and i will appreciate a link.
you uncle probably contested outside lagos and if he did not prostrate for BAT, he probably did for Lam or Osoba.
I do not expect you or Adeola to come and tell us that 'yes, we are enslaved by BAT,what can we do?'
but it would be unfair of you to wave off the accusations when there is no proof to discount these assertions.
Tinubu and by extension ACN is playing a very important role in our polity, hence we need to hold it (him) accountable before a monster develops.

Man mi , you are a bright guy yet I am loathe to really drag this debate on suffice to say that Parties are not duty bound to conducts Primaries as the only process that leads to the emergence of candidates. The consensus emergence , even if not ideologically desirable to some of us , is a legitimately acceptable way for candidates to emerge . So is negotiation and horse-trading amongst candidates . We all forget that usage of certain practices in Political Parties , if allowed and endorsed as legitimate by electoral rules, are the prerogative of Party members and not the general public.

The PDP has no choice but to conduct Primaries because of the sheer number of contestant and their insistence on contesting for office . That is not the case for the ACN . Folks in the Party generally get along well to the extent that consensus deals and negotiations threw up many candidates most folks were happy with . We should judge Parties by their size, number of contestant for elective office and unique circumstances rather than what other Parties have done . If only two contestants want the Oyo Central senatorial  ACN seat , rather than 30 as may be the case for the PDP, why should it be a voting Primaries alone that should be used or seen as democratic when other legitimate options are equally acceptable?

The PDP , for example, had no choice but to have the voting contest between GEJ and Atiku. Meanwhile , Ribadu emerged because everyone voluntarily stepped down for him !!! What is wrong with that ?  We cannot go looking for a crime when non has been committed . If one forgets the rumours and inspect the reality of how candidates emerged it will be obvious that most ACN representatives emerged through acceptable and legitimate methods . Everyone is free to believe otherwise .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 10:25am On Apr 19, 2011
Gbawe:

Man mi , you are a bright guy yet I am loathe to really drag this debate on suffice to say that Parties are not duty bound to conducts Primaries as the only process that leads to the emergence of candidates. The consensus emergence , even if not ideologically desirable to some of us , is a legitimately acceptable way for candidates to emerge . So is negotiation and horse-trading amongst candidates . We all forget that usage of certain practices in Political Parties , if allowed and endorsed as legitimate by electoral rules, are the prerogative of Party members and not the general public.

The PDP has no choice but to conduct Primaries because of the sheer number of contestant and their insistence on contesting for office . That is not the case for the ACN . Folks in the Party generally get along well to the extent that consensus deals and negotiations threw up many candidates most folks were happy with . We should judge Parties by their size, number of contestant for elective office and unique circumstances rather than what other Parties have done . If only two contestants want the Oyo Central senatorial ACN seat , rather than 30 as may be the case for the PDP, why should it be a voting Primaries alone that should be used or seen as democratic when other legitimate options are equally acceptable?

The PDP , for example, had no choice but to have the voting contest between GEJ and Atiku. Meanwhile , Ribadu emerged because everyone voluntarily stepped down for him !!! What is wrong with that ? We cannot go looking for a crime when non has been committed . If one forgets the rumours and inspect the reality of how candidates emerged it will be obvious that most ACN representatives emerged through acceptable and legitimate methods . Everyone is free to believe otherwise .

Putting all you said into perspective , how does the Ekiti central senatorial primaries fit into it?
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 10:28am On Apr 19, 2011
hercules07:

See what happens when Pro GEJ people keep out of threads, CPC needs to toe the ACN line in terms of building itself up, they need to win here and there and to stay the course, they also need to bring in the progressives in the North, people like Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (  if he is interested ), Ribadu needs to move from the ACN to CPC because Tinubu's ambition is just too great to allow him become president. The politics we practise in Nigeria is sentiments politics, people do not care about track record or integrity, we southerners are as bigoted as the Northern people, we have the omo wa ni eje ki o se mentality.

It would be wonderful if this man joins CPC after his term at central bank, we need him in Aso rock. He is one of the bright stars of the north. Unfortunately the masses of the north do not really align with his progressive thinking but some grassroots work of 3 years can erase that.

CPC has to work hard to kick out the PDP govs , which is the only way we would rid Aso rock of PDP. If PDP lose 8 states in the north to CPC and 6 in the SW to ACN. PDP will be a goner in 2015 especially if all these governors perform excellently.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 10:52am On Apr 19, 2011
Gbawe:

The PDP has no choice but to conduct Primaries because of the sheer number of contestant and their insistence on contesting for office . That is not the case for the ACN . Folks in the Party generally get along well to the extent that consensus deals and negotiations threw up many candidates most folks were happy with . We should judge Parties by their size, number of contestant for elective office and unique circumstances rather than what other Parties have done . If only two contestants want the Oyo Central senatorial ACN seat , rather than 30 as may be the case for the PDP, why should it be a voting Primaries alone that should be used or seen as democratic when other legitimate options are equally acceptable?

The PDP , for example, had no choice but to have the voting contest between GEJ and Atiku. Meanwhile , Ribadu emerged because everyone voluntarily stepped down for him !!! What is wrong with that ? We cannot go looking for a crime when non has been committed . If one forgets the rumours and inspect the reality of how candidates emerged it will be obvious that most ACN representatives emerged through acceptable and legitimate methods . Everyone is free to believe otherwise .
thanks for the response.
it will be foolhardy to drag this particular debate longer.
I might not agree entirely with your point but i see where you are coming from.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 10:56am On Apr 19, 2011
Lagosboy:

It would be wonderful if this man joins CPC after his term at central bank, we need him in Aso rock. He is one of the bright stars of the north. Unfortunately the masses of the north do not really align with his progressive thinking but some grassroots work of 3 years can erase that.

CPC has to work hard to kick out the PDP govs , which is the only way we would rid Aso rock of PDP. If PDP lose 8 states in the north to CPC and 6 in the SW to ACN. PDP will be a goner in 2015 especially if all these governors perform excellently.
If only northern leaders will be long sighted in their visions.
anything short of a genuine bridge builder will be catastrophic in 2015.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by hercules07: 11:01am On Apr 19, 2011
@Lagosboy

The funny thing is Sanusi is acceptable in the SW ( dont know about SE and SS), if he aligns with Buhari's CPC, he can garner the northern votes, he is known to speak for the talakawas over there though he has had a couple of arguments with their Islamic clerics over there, I really, really want us to kick PDP out, they are a cancer to the nation.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by nikkygal(f): 11:03am On Apr 19, 2011
This thread is sooooo refreshing and just further reinforces the bright future & possibilities ahead of our country if only we have such great minds (progressives) as leaders.Guys, am loving this discussion and very impressed with the mood of this thread[/size]. . . . . . .[size=6pt]Please let the hawks stay away lipsrsealed wink

Keep it up!
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 11:08am On Apr 19, 2011
Gbawe:

Looking at the internal democracy thing from a different angle, maybe true consesus happened in Osun state,Ogun and Oyo state. However Ekiti central was very messy and also LAgos. I am very bitter about the potlics Tinubu plays in Lagos, how can i explain Momora being asked to step down for Ashafa.

ACN will thrive better once Tinubus wings are clipped and he is relgated to Bourdilloun.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 11:10am On Apr 19, 2011
nikkygal:

This thread is sooooo refreshing and just further reinforces the bright future & possibilities ahead of our country if only we have such great minds (progressives) as leaders.Guys, am loving this discussion and very impressed with the mood of this thread[/size]. . . . . . .[size=6pt]Please let the hawks stay away lipsrsealed wink

Keep it up!

Thanks for your comments you are welcome to contribute your opinion and analysis here as well.

Gbawe and I disagree on some issues but trust me I know we share many poltical views in common apart from Tinubu grin grin
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 11:17am On Apr 19, 2011
Lagosboy:

Thanks for your comments you are welcome to contribute your opinion and analysis here as well.

Gbawe and I disagree on some issues but trust me I know we share many poltical views in common apart from Tinubu grin grin

my worry with the Tinubu factor is that if he is not clipped properly sooner rather than later, the danger will impact even non ACN sympathizers.
The man is too intelligent and tactical to be allowed to run the show the way it seems at present.

Lagosboy:

how can i explain Momora being asked to step down for Ashafa.

ACN will thrive better once Tinubus wings are clipped and he is relgated to Bourdilloun.
I really do respect the way Mamora has carried himself in the light of that episode. decent man, gets top marks from me.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by hercules07: 11:22am On Apr 19, 2011
Mamora did not impose himself at the assembly, everybody could see what Abike Dabiri was fighting for, at least she had a cause and she was rewarded with the ticket, you can not use Mamora's case to castigate Tinubu, we do not only need decent people, we also need those who will work hard.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 11:26am On Apr 19, 2011
mbulela:

my worry with the Tinubu factor is that if he is not clipped properly sooner rather than later, the danger will impact even non ACN sympathizers.
The man is too intelligent and tactical to be allowed to run the show the way it seems at present.
I really do respect the way Mamora has carried himself in the light of that episode. decent man, gets top marks from me.

Mamora is the best ACN senator for me and asking your best senator to step down for someone in order to compensate him for all the dirty lagos lands deals he seals for his godfather is not nice at all.

Mamora was really matured about it and just handled it in good faith. Rumours have it that it was bacause of mamora support for Fashola he was taken out.

Tinubu is very smart and streetwise, after this election and if ACN wins oyo and ogun, I think Tinubu has served his purpose and should be clipped to make ACN progress and blossom.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 11:43am On Apr 19, 2011
mbulela:

If only northern leaders will be long sighted in their visions.
anything short of a genuine bridge builder will be catastrophic in 2015.

My brother , this is the koko of the matter !!!!!! I will try to dig up a thread , months old , when I stated that Ribadu's main chance is for him to emerge consensus candidate and for Buhari and everyone else to get behind him. I stated that Buhari might fall short because , after all is said and done, he is a very hard sell in the South. While Ribadu is not popular as Buhari in the North , he is not a particularly hard sell anywhere in Nigeria . He is not despised vehemently in some regions . In fact folks can be convinced to back him. My own mother , for example, would never vote for Buhari. She voted for GEJ yet concedes that Ribadu is a "decent young man" who is a viable option to GEJ. For her, Atiku is simply a "crook" .

I think the Northern elders and kingmakers failed badly to read the mood of the Nation with their choice of Atiku and late swing behind Buhari . They simply failed to consider Ribadu because he is a "young hothead" who can't be controlled or relied upon to keep issues "business as usual" for the region. It was always obvious Ribadu might not support the usual practice of 'dashing' positions to Northerners wether they are competent or not.

Ribadu himself lambasted Northern elders for this when he criticised them for not endorsing him or Buhari . Ribadu posited that the desperation and preference for endorsing "business as usual" candidates (Atiku) would come to be the undoing of the North and he has been proven right . The North has failed to understand the ideological paradigm shift in Nigerian politics and mentality. If the SW had provided a Presidential candidate , I would have spat in disgust if , instead of Fashola, we dragged out some 'old boy' , with links to the past everyone wants to forget, like Atiku,  just so the likes of OBJ can get their "business as usual" desire . Politics in Nigeria has now changed forever. The North should get with the program or remain irrelevant . If anything , Ribadu will be more courted now . Folks like him , and not the likes of Atiku, are the future of the North.

We can see , without doubt , that voting showed the North-South division of Nigeria . The disgust with the "born to rule" arrogance of the North was greater than I imagined . That situation will not change in 2015. If the North genuinely wants to compete in future they must go with their detribalised sons, accepted across Nigeria, who are a break from the past with no major and permanently damaging stigma attached to their name .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Richest Countries In Africa According To Their GDP Per Capita / National Identification Number Enrolment / Why Can't APC Present Fashola As Presidential Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.