Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,917 members, 7,806,666 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price (33087 Views)

Delta Family Fights Over N250,000 Bride Price (pic) / Man Marries Dead Woman With N2,000 Bride Price In Bauchi / "Some Call It Incest, We Call It Fate" - Man Who Impregnates His Sister Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by MadamExcellency: 3:25pm On Apr 05, 2021
Romanoff:

They don't o.

If so, it's unfair and unfortunate.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Romanoff(f): 3:26pm On Apr 05, 2021
MadamExcellency:

If so, it's unfair and unfortunate.

Na so we see am.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Okoroawusa: 3:28pm On Apr 05, 2021
descarado:

Bride price is 6 naira. That is what will be giving to you when you go to customary court for dissolution of marriage.

Ordinarily, one don't pay bride price. Like in mine, my husband's family was given back the money and they took like 10% of it. This popular adage was used to conclude it. "You no dey marry woman finish for one day" In other words, as you give back that money, you open up a relationship which says our daughter is giving to you guys to just take care of and a symbiotic union formed.

Any body that goes contrary to what is written in their constitution has herself to blame.

Well, I don't know about some other igboland but where I came from and it's environs, marriage is very cheap. Very very cheap. And these I have attended are the same.
Thank you for this. All these fake stories that they formulate online just to trend.
My ex-wife's bride price was #5,000. On the day of payment, after collecting the money,her father gave back my father #4,000 then gave her elder brother #500 then kept #500 for himself.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by MartinsD12(m): 3:29pm On Apr 05, 2021
bluskyee:
I cherish my culture please be guided.
Culture is different from profit making thank you, case closed.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by LordOfTheGame: 3:29pm On Apr 05, 2021
sisisioge:

My brother, I'm not trying to start a war or be offensive in anyway, just wondering why it's like that. I love the part of the culture that appeals to me and have great friends plus a sister of the Igbo decend o...was just curious why people one hardly know would have so much authority on one's wedding. That's all.

The issue varies from community to community or village to village and even from family to family so it's not a unique standard for measuring the average traditional marriage rites.

Most communities will not look back to tell the husband to-be to come with whatever he has but should not embarrass them. It is now left for him to use his head and do the right thing.

Some families or parents will mention millions for him but at the end, the will take only paltry sum of money out the amount and give him back the money to take care of his wife to-be.

Also, I can tell you that in cases similar to that of the OP's, the husband to-be may not have been physically present or he's the busy type who does not have all the time to be buying all the things requested so, in return, he monetized some other remaining items which the girl's brother may have mistaken for a "bride price" alone.

So to put story short, there couldn't have been any reason why he will be asked to pay such amount of money only for pride price even if in Mbaise where I come from and where people always complain about.

And to say that 'Umunna' shared all the money and gave his mum only 5k is being disingenuous and outright false. He should ask his mum very well, it could be that he's an extravagant and entitlement type of guy and his mum decided to 'lie' to him to keep him out of expectations.

Another factor is, when a middleweight Cock (potential son Inlaw) decides to "raise his feathers" above or to his neck level, he's setting himself up for imminent devour by the "vultures"

I hope that I've answered your question?
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Okoroawusa: 3:30pm On Apr 05, 2021
pocohantas:

You all know he is referring to the marriage list. People muddle them up all the time, so I don’t get the drama.
We need to set the record straight. Everybody will think that it's an igbo culture.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by sisisioge: 3:33pm On Apr 05, 2021
LordOfTheGame:

The issue varies from community to community or village to village and even from family to family so it's not a unique standard for measuring the average traditional marriage rites.

Most communities will not look back to tell the husband to-be to come with whatever he has but should not embarrass them. It is now left for him to use his head and do the right thing.

Some families or parents will mention millions for him but at the end, the will take only paltry sum of money out the while amount and give him back the money to care of the his wife to-be.

Also, I can tell you that in cases similar to that of the OP's, the husband to-be may not have been physically present or he's the busy type who does not have all the time to be buying all the things requested so, in return, he monetized some other remaining items which the girl's brother may have mistaken for a "bride price" alone.

So to put story short, there couldn't have been any reason why he will be asked to pay such amount of money only for pride price even if in Mbaise where I come from and where people always complain about.

And to say that 'Umunna' shared all the money and gave his mum only 5k is being disingenuous and outright false. He should ask his mum very well, it could be that he's an extravagant and entitlement type of guys and his mum decided to 'lie' to him to keep him out of expectations.

Another factor is, when a middleweight Cock (potential son Inlaw) decides to "raise his feathers" above or to his neck level, he's setting himself up for imminent devour by the "vultures"

I hope that I've answered your question?

grin grin grin grin @ the bolded.

Thank you for the explanation.

1 Like

Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Ladycewhy(f): 3:35pm On Apr 05, 2021
MadamExcellency:

You are a juvenile delinquent and full of yourself not have seen where I quoted the Holy Books and referred the rest to your parents whose duty is to teach you the customs and traditions of your people.
You should be in the grave with your Savage ancestors. Mr old person, this generation doesn't suit you, senile old cargo.

1 Like

Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Antoeni(m): 3:40pm On Apr 05, 2021
IPOB Family & Greed inseparable
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by observanc1: 3:45pm On Apr 05, 2021
femi4:
300k bride price? No wonder their hubby later treat them anyhow
dont believe everything u read on twitter. There is nowhere in igboland where the bride price is 300k.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Victoria938(f): 3:57pm On Apr 05, 2021
The fear of the village people is the Genesis of long life and prosperity.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by alhaji04: 3:57pm On Apr 05, 2021
sisisioge:
grin grin grin grin grin grin

I honestly still find it hard to understand the Igbo marriage initiation system. How could strangers reap where they did not sow bikonu? Is it too much to do the wedding in the brides compound minus all those extended kinsmen? Or do kukuma somewhere the wife's father is based whether na Lagos o abi na Kano....that will also reduce the perpetual list considerably.

15 crates of malt for youth.
5 bags of rice for the youths
40 kegs of wine for the kinsmen
50 baskets of kolanut for the elders grin
funny you... lol. watin dey vex me pass b say d guy dey fear to ask for him share because dem village people fit send am go evil forest. lol

@op, Una own better nah, come my village, dem dey collect over 200k as bride price but d parent of the lady will collect just 2k. there was a day I thought about it, and I was like ,,, unto watin? mtchhhhewwww
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by MadamExcellency: 4:06pm On Apr 05, 2021
Ladycewhy:
You should be in the grave with your Savage ancestors. Mr old person, this generation doesn't suit you, senile old cargo.

Enjoy your failed generation.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by JeffSiberstein: 4:08pm On Apr 05, 2021
Na him mugu for my sisters marriage na me be the father my sister the mother. Extended family papa where Dem dey when hungry they beat us.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by descarado: 4:09pm On Apr 05, 2021
Okoroawusa:

Thank you for this. All these fake stories that they formulate online just to trend.
My ex-wife's bride price was #5,000. On the day of payment, after collecting the money,her father gave back my father #4,000 then gave her elder brother #500 then kept #500 for himself.
Sorry it didn't work for you two.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Ladycewhy(f): 4:09pm On Apr 05, 2021
MadamExcellency:

Enjoy your failed generation.
Off you go to the land of the dead then mr corpse.So much for a generation whose people were sold for cowries and mirrors ,lol.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 05, 2021
anochuko01:

So the aim of training my daughters well is for me to be able to cash out during their wedding?

Only hungry families would ask for 300k as brideprice, especially when the woman who trained the daughter was only able to get 5k. After eating the 300k they'll still return to fleece on the couple.

Guys should be careful of the kind of family they're gonna marry from .
In bold is the highest code for any guy who wants to marry. Otherwise u start looking like a 90 yr old grampa a year after wedding cheesy
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by MadamExcellency: 4:10pm On Apr 05, 2021
Okoroawusa:

We need to set the record straight. Everybody will think that it's an igbo culture.

In Igbo land, the men and the father do compromise on fulfilment of their lists than the women and the mother do.

I don't get this inequality of a thing with this.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Mcdreamy15: 4:12pm On Apr 05, 2021
pocohantas:

Doing the marriage in USA won’t automatically reduce the list, you will either monetize it and send or get a home-based person to buy it all. The problem is the mindset, the formation they come with. They come like hungry lions. Some of them can’t even pick out the bride from ten ladies, but their eyes go dey chook inside everything.

They do not have a problem with you not inviting them, just send the money to them. If you don’t, the repercussions would be waiting for both you and your children’s children.
repercussions undecided coz of bride price grin grin these ones dey para o
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Nobody: 4:14pm On Apr 05, 2021
Misogyny? The payer of the money is also a man
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Mcdreamy15: 4:16pm On Apr 05, 2021
bluskyee:
300k, is not a high bride price. Bride prices are not fixed, it is negotiated.
300k is not high?? shocked you for kuku talk say na slave trade grin nonsense and ingredients
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by ceaser: 4:32pm On Apr 05, 2021
pocohantas:

Men are their own enemies.

I am sure when they stayed and agreed to be paying “bride price” abi huge marriage list, they forgot that someone like Buhari would be a democratic president. They also never foresaw that $1= N478 or graduates would turn 31 without stable jobs.

Now that the economy is choking them and restricting their airflows, they are now forming online bro-code and looking for imaginary feminist that will go stop a practice they put in place for their own ever-needy-ego.

You’ll still see same charlatans insulting other Nigerian tribes that are civil enough to conduct marriages like what it is- the coming together of two consenting adults, not an empowerment program.

That gender can never be understood.

If not that God is all knowing, they almost confused Him when He asked a simple question in the Garden of Eden.

Eleru gberu e ooo

The snake was being interviewed.

Interviewer: Hey bros, Wetin happen for the garden of Eden?
Serpent: I just dey pass my own jeje, na im Eve do bambiala ask me, "bros, anything for the ladies"?

Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by WoundedLamb: 4:32pm On Apr 05, 2021
bluskyee:
Poco, I am a bit disappointed, this is tradition. It was not there because of you or anyone. Your grandfather might have benefited from this setting. You don't see other tribes talk about their culture in disparaging terms. If it is an elder takes all tradition, respect it and move on. I exalt my ancestors and it is pure ignorance to criticise your culture because you think someone else is cashing out

I don't really agree with this. One of the reasons Africa is way behind is the inability of the people to evolve. The fear of change and the desire to hold on to some practices that favour a few on the grounds of "it has always been like that" only makes us stagnant. Even a closed culture like the Chinese still knows when to adjust. A non progressive society is like facal matter in the body, it becomes toxic over time. Besides, what we have today is just selective preservation of culture. We only keep those that please the custodians.

2 Likes

Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Richthekid: 4:45pm On Apr 05, 2021
Are they selling themselves
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Maobichek: 4:46pm On Apr 05, 2021
sisisioge:

Thanks for the explanation...

You are welcome, i must say that you are different from many i have encountered here, thank you.

1 Like

Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Odidigboigbo(m): 4:52pm On Apr 05, 2021
pocohantas:

You gave them something. You should have given them nothing, then we would have a conversation.

Negotiation has always been a norm.
I know a lot of people from my town and other areas that have given their daughters out in marriage without the so called elders input. Probably you have something in common with them that is why you are scared of them. I have no business with them, I don't care if they exist or not.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by pocohantas(f): 4:55pm On Apr 05, 2021
Odidigboigbo:
I know a lot of people from my town and other areas that have given their daughters out in marriage without the so called elders input. Probably you have something in common with them that is why you are scared of them. I have no business with them, I don't care if they exist or not.

Apples and oranges.

Learn to stick to the premise of the discussion, if that isn’t so hard for you. Once again, I would be waiting for you to show me that person from your town who got married without PAYING BRIDE PRICE OR GIVING ANY SINGLE THING TO THE ELDERS.

I hope it doesn’t fly over your head again.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by gabriel66386: 4:55pm On Apr 05, 2021
:Thanks for the explanation...You are welcome, i must say that you are different from many i have encountered here, thank you.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by UwaMmebii(m): 4:58pm On Apr 05, 2021
Hmmm nobody can try this nonsense around me and my sisters.
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by chuksbogus: 5:12pm On Apr 05, 2021
The person writing this story may be misunderstanding. May be because she heard them price 300k and she thinks that's the amount paid. She might be mistaken .
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Parizz: 5:25pm On Apr 05, 2021
Ladycewhy:
So because he didn't get his share he is now angry at patriarchy and misogyny?
he's angry becos he was left out. This is bad for patriachy
Re: Man's Mother Gets ₦5000 From His Sister's ₦300,000 Bride Price by Nobody: 5:49pm On Apr 05, 2021
pocohantas:

You should have given them nothing. When you do that, come back for this conversation.

It is people that don’t know these elders that will be doing strong head with them. Well, you also have the option of cutting them off for life. You just have to check if it is worth it.

Cut them off for life, who dem help? I'll simply do statutory marriage and rest.
Idk why most Nigerian men are still scared of statutory marriage, do they think women get half of everything or they're scared because they'll be jailed if they marry another woman while still married to one?
Well, as for me and my kindred, no statutory marriage - no marriage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Tattoos His Late Mother's Face In His Hand (Photos) / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated / Lady Dies Four Weeks After Graduation And Few Months To Her Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.