Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka (17851 Views)

Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System / Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 / Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by Tryon4(m): 4:24pm On Apr 07, 2021
Easier said than done. Until they agree to marry each other. As a full Nsukka man, so much of this type of move in the past yet, the communities in question often find it difficult to inter marry. Good move though!
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by Ifesinachi22(m): 4:47pm On Apr 07, 2021
michlins:
Nsukka doesn't really care about Osu. You see Ohu, they're the big deal. This is just story

What is the difference biko
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by michlins(m): 4:51pm On Apr 07, 2021
Ifesinachi22:

What is the difference biko
osu are people who are living sacrifice to the deity

Ohu are slaves
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by Duplexxx: 4:52pm On Apr 07, 2021
God we are in your hand take control
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by Ifesinachi22(m): 4:57pm On Apr 07, 2021
MightySparrow:
Nyamirin fifu and primitivity are 5 and 6. Soon, you will hear somebody is forced to marry a corpse, or, water used to wash corpse is forced down someone's throat.

grin grin grin grin

The bolded happens when you are accused of killing the dead person.
You will prove your innocence by drinking the water naked. If you are innocent you live if your not, you will die.
I have witnessed it once in my village. A man drank the water but he was innocent and so didn't die
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by SlayerForever: 5:00pm On Apr 07, 2021
shocked shocked shocked
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by Ifesinachi22(m): 5:01pm On Apr 07, 2021
michlins:

Ohu are slaves

OK. I'm Igbo but I'm just hearing this for the first time. I used to think Osu and Ohu means same thing. I was thinking it was just different Pronunciation and different dilects.

I'm from Nsukka but what i hear people say always is Ohu though i have never seen one before. So whenever i hear Osu i will think it's still the same thing but maybe Imo or Abia are saying it differently.

Thanks for this piece. I really appreciate

1 Like

Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by MightySparrow: 5:09pm On Apr 07, 2021
Ifesinachi22:

The bolded happens when you are accused of killing the dead person.
You will prove your innocence by drinking the water naked. If you are innocent you live if your not, you will die.
I have witnessed it once in my village. A man drank the water but he was innocent and so didn't die

In modern times you prove your innocence of the court of law not to drink the germs that killed the dead. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by michlins(m): 5:20pm On Apr 07, 2021
Ifesinachi22:

OK. I'm Igbo but I'm just hearing this for the first time. I used to think Osu and Ohu means same thing. I was thinking it was just different Pronunciation and different dilects.

I'm from Nsukka but what i hear people say always is Ohu though i have never seen one before. So whenever i hear Osu i will think it's still the same thing but maybe Imo or Abia are saying it differently.

Thanks for this piece. I really appreciate
That's why I said osu isn't a big deal in Nsukka. The ohu caste system is the deal. And they ignored what's important

2 Likes

Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by johhbekeboh09: 5:58pm On Apr 07, 2021
Pentagon007:
This is fantastic move. My in-laws are making good moves to remove these ancient wicked cultures that drag the society backwards. Good one Nsukka. Home of my in-laws.

Smiles...@pentagoon007
Which part of the country are you from
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by johhbekeboh09: 6:27pm On Apr 07, 2021
michlins:

Ohu are slaves

You wrong!....
Historically,they were traditional Priests...specially assigned who offered sacrifices on behalf of the people to the Igbo gods and also transmited messages from the gods to the people However Christian Missionaries due to jealousy and seeing the traditional institution as threat to their mission in Igboland pulled it down by preaching against the traditional religion and the Priests
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 07, 2021
Is it practicable though?

Old habits die hard.
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by SavageResponse(m): 6:41pm On Apr 07, 2021
All this one na just ordinary talk grin
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by Nobody: 7:47pm On Apr 07, 2021
SATANICALLY666:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/04/119-villages-abolish-osu-caste-system-practice-in-nsukka/

These people...BIAFRA would be a progressive country...
They are always improving and trying to get better in all they do...Unlike Nigeria
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by maitrelalley1(m): 7:51pm On Apr 07, 2021
Good news... I wonder who gave them that good advice
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by ModestGal(f): 8:50pm On Apr 07, 2021
One Igbo should explain to me what Osu is? No time to read this long post
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by Pentagon007: 9:18pm On Apr 07, 2021
johhbekeboh09:

Smiles...@pentagoon007 Which part of the country are you from
South East
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by Pentagon007: 9:19pm On Apr 07, 2021
johhbekeboh09:

Smiles...@pentagoon007 Which part of the country are you from
South East

1 Like

Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by PoliteActivist: 9:53pm On Apr 07, 2021
michlins:
Nsukka doesn't really care about Osu. You see Ohu, they're the big deal. This is just story

What is the difference? Illuminate us
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by michlins(m): 10:06pm On Apr 07, 2021
PoliteActivist:

What is the difference? Illuminate us
I already did. Check this thread
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by michlins(m): 10:13pm On Apr 07, 2021
ModestGal:
One Igbo should explain to me what Osu is? No time to read this long post
Osu are living sacrifice to the gods. An individual might be having issues with his neighbor who is more powerful than him or her. The person can go to a deity and pledge his life to the deity asking for protection and whatnot. Whoever that hurts him or her automatically draws the wrath of the said deity and will also be under the bound of "Osu". The downside is that the person who pledged allegiance and whoever that comes after him or her either by marriage or via birth is bound by same. In some cases,a community might forcefully conscript a clan or family into the "Osu" caste system for whatever reason they want. In the land of Israel,the "Osu" are the Levites. They are allowed to eat the food of sacrifice and nothing will happen to them because already they're one with the deity

Ohu on the other hand, are slaves

1 Like

Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by PoliteActivist: 1:23am On Apr 08, 2021
michlins:

Slaves how? There was never slavery in Igbo land. I don't know what type of Igbo u r
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by michlins(m): 2:22am On Apr 08, 2021
PoliteActivist:

Slaves how? There was never slavery in Igbo land. I don't know what type of Igbo u r
slavery ended and the slaves didn't vanish. The ignorance of history education is a big problem in Nigeria. We need to learn these things

2 Likes

Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by frankblinkz(m): 6:49am On Apr 08, 2021
lekki1444:
oh so an osu cannot be visibly identified ? so whats the discrimination based on if its not physical features ?
don't mind them..calling a fellow human u didn't create an outcast cus of beliefs
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by lekki1444: 8:03am On Apr 08, 2021
frankblinkz:
don't mind them..calling a fellow human u didn't create an outcast cus of beliefs
yeah there are many crazy beliefs in this world. you will be amazed
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by LYNKS1000(m): 8:53am On Apr 08, 2021
Nice one from NSUKKA.
Re: 119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka by ModestGal(f): 4:49pm On Apr 09, 2021
michlins:
Osu are living sacrifice to the gods. An individual might be having issues with his neighbor who is more powerful than him or her. The person can go to a deity and pledge his life to the deity asking for protection and whatnot. Whoever that hurts him or her automatically draws the wrath of the said deity and will also be under the bound of "Osu". The downside is that the person who pledged allegiance and whoever that comes after him or her either by marriage or via birth is bound by same. In some cases,a community might forcefully conscript a clan or family into the "Osu" caste system for whatever reason they want. In the land of Israel,the "Osu" are the Levites. They are allowed to eat the food of sacrifice and nothing will happen to them because already they're one with the deity

So what concern government with that? Abi what's the essence of the fallacy? Spirituality is falsehood, wetin concern anyone with that?
Doesn't make sense at all

By the way, so we still have human being in the 21st century practising such?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

‘akatakpa’ Masquerades Banned In Enugu Community / Kini Oriki Abeke? What Is Abeke Praise Song/poetry / IGBO Name For My Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.