Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) (46659 Views)

Victory Gbakara Wins Nigerian Idol S8 / Nigerian Idol: Dbanj’s Facial Expression Got People Talking / Kingdom Wins Nigerian Idol 2021 (Season 6) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by pamijlove(f): 8:50pm On Apr 18, 2021
to me, if you look poor, despite you sang well, they will not accept you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by RedAlert08(m): 8:50pm On Apr 18, 2021
Matheusmartin:
Especially that failed musician - seyi shay..

Ugly she goat..

Very useless lady. I don shag am before sha. but that's a story for another day.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Osikeafuogu: 8:51pm On Apr 18, 2021
sassiemyk:
I had earlier tweeted that Sheyi Shay and the rest be disbanded. Sheyi Shay sees herself as the mouthpiece of the other judges. Very biased and tribalistic. Even throwing tantrums on other tribes that's not yoruba. The lady us just too fool of herself. Obi is just a there like juju always concurring to whatever the goddess says. This is truly by far the poorest selection of judges on any musical show ever in Nigeria.

yen yen yen, Who be this?

you know how many contestants have been able to go through cuz of sose and Asika even after seyi has said no to them.
ndi mmadu sef

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Nobody: 8:52pm On Apr 18, 2021
Wahala have Wear cover shoe�
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by AsabaPropertyAg(m): 8:53pm On Apr 18, 2021
stancydg:
The above mentioned music reality show currently running on DSTV and GOTV platforms may likely be the "wackiest" (for want of words) music reality show in recent times going by the quality of opinions thus far by the jury, made up of a 3man panel of Obi Asika; a Record Label Exec, Seyi Shay; a perpetual upcoming artiste going by the unpopularity of most, if not all her songs and DJ Sose; who at best is skillful at selecting songs that'll mostly appeal to club audiences.

One would have thought the record label executive in the person of Asika, who ordinarily should have been exposed to artistes of various kinds, will as a father figure, be in full control of the selection process, by way of influencing the opinions of the others even though the antecedents of past judges on the show clearly sets a pace for divergence in opinions that in the end, engenders a robust decision for or against the candidates. This is terribly in deficit this time on the show, as as much as a snarl from the perpetual upcoming artiste is enough influence of the opinions of two supposedly mature and independently minded men. Sose even managed to take his obvious lack of knowledge of music and consequently, a lack of sound judgement to annoying levels by always concurring to whatever Seyi Shay breathes, despite his body language telling otherwise.

All of the above is obvious in the audition of the young music producer, whose image you'll find attached to this post. I can bet that IK, the show host was shell shocked that the young man had to be turned down for no reasonable point, except for displaying his musical dexterity. If that's a crime, then pray tell me what Idols is all about?

I was part of the very first Idol show in Nigeria that produced the likes of Timi Dakolo and Omawunmi and what I can clearly remember is that singing foreign songs or even displaying your vocal dexterity wasn't a crime. If it was compulsory for candidates to do local pangolo songs for the show to be seen as "Nigerian Idol", like Miss Shay foolishly posits, then I dare the show organisers to switch the nomenclature to "Naija Oosa/Ojuju etc" and compel the judges to speak Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo.

Besides, in the first Idol show in Nigeria, the jury made up of seasoned music industry legend like Dede Mabiaku, Radio Joc; Dan Foster and a Ghanian lady popularly referred to as "It's not werking for me" had their independent opinions of the candidates even though one out of the trio always played the devil's advocate.

Question now is; who the hell is the devil's advocate that'll ensure a robust decision making process in the ongoing Idol show, when from all we see, all trio are sleeping with their heads in the same direction??

Reason the current panel needs to be disbanded, asides the joke Seyi Shay has made of the show by unprofessionally making mockery of young chaps she is meant to encourage, thereby wreaking psychological damages that may be indelible in the lives of the up and coming generation.

PS: I don't know the guy being auditioned in the attached pictures as I am speaking for countless others that are in my opinion, obviously far ahead of the judges musically, but were turned down.

Stancydg@ God bless you for bringing up this topic , when I saw these judges, I asked myself if there are no good music teachers in Nigeria better than Sheyi shay and Sose, I don't know much about Obi Asika. Why is Sheyi shay sounding too harsh to the contestants in stead of encouraging them. I noticed that Sose takes major decisions on whom to give golden ticket or not. Please next time judges should not sit together and should not talk to the contestants, they should only give points by pressing a button that will display how they voted to the viewers and they should also write down their observations for the music teachers to note and also display it to the viewers too.

This is my personal observation/opinion.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Yuneehk(f): 8:54pm On Apr 18, 2021
First of, a DJ has no business being a judge on a singing platform.

I've seen Sose countless times nod approvingly at a performance but the moment Seyi Shay puts the person down with her comments, he changes his mind that instant. I remember that happening a lot.

She's the only singer there, the others just came to fill seats. They have no mind of their own too, stylishly doing follow follow. Let's not even talk of very good singers they let go off because Seyi Shay refused them.

Kai, even the ones who cry, Seyi Shay is still hostile to them. You can say no without destroying them with the words that come out of your mouth.

The Voice sef is another one with some follow follow judges.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Numerouno94(m): 8:56pm On Apr 18, 2021
stancydg:

Thanks.
Je t’en prie.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Obierika(m): 8:57pm On Apr 18, 2021
Wetin concern me? cheesy
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:01pm On Apr 18, 2021
Superpower:
she did not do well.She started well but when she got to bridge of the song she messed up.

That girl probably sings better than yemi Alade
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Matheusmartin: 9:04pm On Apr 18, 2021
RedAlert08:

Very useless lady.[/b] I don shag am before sha[b]. but that's a story for another day.
Make sense..
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Superpower(m): 9:04pm On Apr 18, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

That girl probably sings better than yemi Alade
I don't know about that but I think her problem is that she chose a song that is bigger than her.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by seanney: 9:07pm On Apr 18, 2021
Thank you for speaking my mind,this is the worst set of judges,Obi Asika do not have a mind of his own.Seyi shey is not fit as a judge
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by gurunlocker: 9:09pm On Apr 18, 2021
rationalmind:

I remember that particular girl. I was shocked she didn't make it, she probably has the best voice I've ever heard on that show. If I remember correctly, IK disagreed with the judges. Everytime I remember, that girls case still pains me.

I can only hope she doesn't let the opinion of those clueless judges discourage her

Yes, that's her! They even applauded her after performing, still they all say NO.

I've seen another 16 year old get picked, one Beyonce girl, she didn't perform like that girl. So I can't say it's because of her age!

Another Damilola girl with glasses that performed last week, same thing.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Nobody: 9:09pm On Apr 18, 2021
We don't need any rubbish nigerian idol. Nonsense music shows that adds nothing of value but use to push hideous self worship.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by IamGreen1(f): 9:13pm On Apr 18, 2021
Angelfrost:

Nope... The organizers are playing it cheap. The show is just shitty and annoying.

The Voice is the real deal!

To you, the voice that Waje is doing follow follow.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by ppogba: 9:15pm On Apr 18, 2021
gurunlocker:

Yes, that's her! They even applauded her after performing, still they all say NO.

I've seen another 16 year old get picked, one Beyonce girl, she didn't perform like that girl. So I can't say it's because of her age!

Another Damilola girl with glasses that performed last week, same thing.

The fact that somebody sang well by your own standard does not mean they are okay by the judges.

We, as Nigerians should learn to give the judges the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge if need be where we are not qualified to judge.

Judging musical talent, we know more than the judges.
Judging Super Eagles, we know more than Rohr!.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by landmark86: 9:17pm On Apr 18, 2021
jozeflyfX:
Stop been haters, I guess the writer of this post does not know how to handle rejection in life...

I do not see what is wrong with the ongoing selection of those making it to the next stage...

This is nigeria idols not your village singing competition. Only the best get the job.

Mind you Nigerian idols is what I mostly practically watch each day all the time on DStv

Shey shey is doing a good job , so are the others.

Stop hating because u were not selected

Will you keep quite
Op is very right

Sheyi picks female contestants on appearance/look, once you are beautiful is a "YES" from her even with out the voice. Many times she will be telling them I feeling like kissing you, hugging you and ......

DJ Sose always in support of what so ever Sheyi say

Asaki is the best. Always fair in making decision. Though sometimes he do support Sheyi and Sose opinion still is still the best.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by kingreign(m): 9:20pm On Apr 18, 2021
stancydg:
The above mentioned music reality show currently running on DSTV and GOTV platforms may likely be the "wackiest" (for want of words) music reality show in recent times going by the quality of opinions thus far by the jury, made up of a 3man panel of Obi Asika; a Record Label Exec, Seyi Shay; a perpetual upcoming artiste going by the unpopularity of most, if not all her songs and DJ Sose; who at best is skillful at selecting songs that'll mostly appeal to club audiences.

One would have thought the record label executive in the person of Asika, who ordinarily should have been exposed to artistes of various kinds, will as a father figure, be in full control of the selection process, by way of influencing the opinions of the others even though the antecedents of past judges on the show clearly sets a pace for divergence in opinions that in the end, engenders a robust decision for or against the candidates. This is terribly in deficit this time on the show, as as much as a snarl from the perpetual upcoming artiste is enough influence of the opinions of two supposedly mature and independently minded men. Sose even managed to take his obvious lack of knowledge of music and consequently, a lack of sound judgement to annoying levels by always concurring to whatever Seyi Shay breathes, despite his body language telling otherwise.

All of the above is obvious in the audition of the young music producer, whose image you'll find attached to this post. I can bet that IK, the show host was shell shocked that the young man had to be turned down for no reasonable point, except for displaying his musical dexterity. If that's a crime, then pray tell me what Idols is all about?
I watched an episode where a young lady in red did her performance and they ran her down, and terribly criticized her and made her feel less than a human and incapable. She started pleading for a second chance till the extent of bursting into tears that she had to resign from her job to pursue music.

I felt terribly sad by these set of inhumane folks acting as judge who are suppose to judge and encourage people to bring out the best in them doing the opposite of that.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by kingxsamz(m): 9:20pm On Apr 18, 2021
Very true. The other men would always wait for Seyi Shay's approval before they'd accept that the contestant's performance is good. Like, just leave Seyi to do the work. The whole thing just feels unprofessional and mediocre, like the two other judges don't have a mind of their own.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 9:22pm On Apr 18, 2021
AsabaPropertyAg:

Stancydg@ God bless you for bringing up this topic , when I saw these judges, I asked myself if there are no good music teachers in Nigeria better than Sheyi shay and Sose, I don't know much about Obi Asika. Why is Sheyi shay sounding too harsh to the contestants in stead of encouraging them. I noticed that Sose takes major decisions on whom to give golden ticket or not. Please next time judges should not sit together and should not talk to the contestants, they should only give points by pressing a button that will display how they voted to the viewers and they should also write down their observations for the music teachers to note and also display it to the viewers too.

This is my personal observation/opinion.

Nice suggestions. Hope the organisers take note.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Srallens(m): 9:22pm On Apr 18, 2021
Romanoff:
Rotfl.

Seyi Shay shouldn't be there.

I don't know Obi Asika so I can't speak for his expertise.

DJ Sose, why is a DJ even there?

Unlike the Voice, there is no benchmark for quality on Nigerian Idol.

Today, Seyi cut corners for one talentless girl she knows claiming she will give her a chance cause she knows she can sing, even after a messed up performance.

. That lady with the cropped top right? They were really biased. So many sang better than her but weren't given a chance. She was wack but still was given a ticket
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Nobody: 9:23pm On Apr 18, 2021
I like Seyi Shay......the mugu OP calling her an upcoming artist should show us the achievements of her family or villagers or keep shut.......if you can't take criticism kindly don't go for auditions.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by MEGAdime(m): 9:23pm On Apr 18, 2021
Was just thinking about this today.

I wish someone like Cohbams Asuquo is a judge on this show.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by gurunlocker: 9:23pm On Apr 18, 2021
ppogba:

The fact that somebody sang well by your own standard does not mean they are okay by the judges.

We, as Nigerians should learn to give the judges the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge if need be where we are not qualified to judge.

Judging musical talent, we know more than the judges.
Judging Super Eagles, we know more than Rohr!.

Go back to my previous post and read.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 9:24pm On Apr 18, 2021
kingreign:

I watched an episode where a young lady in red did her performance and they ran her down, and terribly criticized her and made her feel less than a human and incapable. She started pleading for a second chance till the extent of bursting into tears that she had to resign from her job to pursue music.

I felt terribly sad by these set of inhumane folks acting as judge who are suppose to judge and encourage people to bring out the best in them doing the opposite of that.

I remember that scene. They all walked out on the lady.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Vinnie2000(m): 9:24pm On Apr 18, 2021
Funny enough, I watched little of it dis evening@ few minutes past 8..

D Judges honestly are a Mismatch!! Judges in Music reality shows have to possess some chemistry amongst Dem..

But in dis Nigerian Idol, the 3 of Dem seem to be strange bed fellows..

Seyi Shay does not connect well with d Older guy n also DJ Sose. I feel she would have wanted younger n 'Fresh looking' guys as her fellow judges..

Still on Seyi Shay, she seem cold n antagonistic to the contestants, honestly..Though, I feel d reason could be, she doesn't 'feel' the show(regrets being dere) or d contestants are mayb 'Wack' for her liking..

But, She is a good person..Just need to find some missing pieces in her Music career..

As for Organisers, dey need to sit up!!
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Srallens(m): 9:25pm On Apr 18, 2021
kingreign:

. The worst they did was to all leave the audition hall. That was really very unprofessional. No matter the performance put forward, at least some words of encouragement will go a long way.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 9:27pm On Apr 18, 2021
OjukuwuHusband:
I like Seyi Shay......the mugu OP calling her an upcoming artist should show us the achievements of her family or villagers or keep shut.......if you can't take criticism kindly don't go for auditions.

Guess you're the mugu here. You assumed I am female. An assumption is the lowest level of knowledge.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by mu2sa2: 9:29pm On Apr 18, 2021
Mainlymanof:

Wel I don't have nothing to say. I just quoted because i love quoting
Maybe you didn't read it. Next time read and something will naturally come up in your mind to say.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Nobody: 9:30pm On Apr 18, 2021
stancydg:

Guess you're the mugu here. You assumed I am female. An assumption is the lowest level of knowledge.

Yeah right...... probably because you write epistles and bitch like a woman.....plus your write up is also full of biases and assumptions thus it being largely garbage.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by lilvicky68(m): 9:30pm On Apr 18, 2021
Is seyi Shay the name of a carpenter or farmer..make she get out..infact make everybody get out..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by MT: 9:34pm On Apr 18, 2021
I stumbled on that channel on the DSTV by accident. I must confess I am not into music at all.

However, a young guy sang a song beautifully, the 3 so-called judges were so impressed , only for Seyi Shay and Sose to say- "well,you sang very well but we are not sure if given another song, you can sing it well like you just did" . Based on that assumption of what hasn't happened, they voted the poor guy out. I couldn't believe what I just witnessed. I changed the channel immediately and eternally say goodbye to that wacky show.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Timaya - Bum Bum [video] + Download / On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. / Kingdom Wins Nigerian Idol 2021 (Season 6)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.