Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,445 members, 7,808,592 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) - Music/Radio (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) (46661 Views)

Victory Gbakara Wins Nigerian Idol S8 / Nigerian Idol: Dbanj’s Facial Expression Got People Talking / Kingdom Wins Nigerian Idol 2021 (Season 6) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by oluwaahmed: 6:25am On Apr 19, 2021
Seyi shay that should be part of the contestants.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by NamelessOGBENI(m): 6:54am On Apr 19, 2021
jasonex4:

Instead of them to carry Timi dakolo, Cobhams and Waje... Mtcheew
You dey mind them...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by akdjr(m): 7:04am On Apr 19, 2021
I thought I am the only one noticing this set of jury that look sorry very terrifying

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Slimwhyt(m): 7:35am On Apr 19, 2021
They are all wack judges. Don't even know what they are doing there.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by salbis(m): 7:51am On Apr 19, 2021
Seyi shay and that Dj Sose should ordinarily be among the contestants. They are not better than some of the contestants.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by mikmash(m): 7:58am On Apr 19, 2021
I thought I was the only one. These set of judges need to be disband. The very day I saw a girl been canceled out because she sang ekuweme. I knew it was over. Even American idol dem dey sing gospel. It's like the allow this sheyi Shey of a person take the major decisions. The clown of a Dj too lacks lustre when it comes to music.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by BluntTheApostle(m): 8:30am On Apr 19, 2021
stancydg:
The above mentioned music reality show currently running on DSTV and GOTV platforms may likely be the "wackiest" (for want of words) music reality show in recent times going by the quality of opinions thus far by the jury, made up of a 3man panel of Obi Asika; a Record Label Exec, Seyi Shay; a perpetual upcoming artiste going by the unpopularity of most, if not all her songs and DJ Sose; who at best is skillful at selecting songs that'll mostly appeal to club audiences.

One would have thought the record label executive in the person of Asika, who ordinarily should have been exposed to artistes of various kinds, will as a father figure, be in full control of the selection process, by way of influencing the opinions of the others even though the antecedents of past judges on the show clearly sets a pace for divergence in opinions that in the end, engenders a robust decision for or against the candidates. This is terribly in deficit this time on the show, as as much as a snarl from the perpetual upcoming artiste is enough influence of the opinions of two supposedly mature and independently minded men. Sose even managed to take his obvious lack of knowledge of music and consequently, a lack of sound judgement to annoying levels by always concurring to whatever Seyi Shay breathes, despite his body language telling otherwise.

All of the above is obvious in the audition of the young music producer, whose image you'll find attached to this post. I can bet that IK, the show host was shell shocked that the young man had to be turned down for no reasonable point, except for displaying his musical dexterity. If that's a crime, then pray tell me what Idols is all about?

I was part of the very first Idol show in Nigeria that produced the likes of Timi Dakolo and Omawunmi and what I can clearly remember is that singing foreign songs or even displaying your vocal dexterity wasn't a crime. If it was compulsory for candidates to do local pangolo songs for the show to be seen as "Nigerian Idol", like Miss Shay foolishly posits, then I dare the show organisers to switch the nomenclature to "Naija Oosa/Ojuju etc" and compel the judges to speak Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo.

Besides, in the first Idol show in Nigeria, the jury made up of seasoned music industry legend like Dede Mabiaku, Radio Joc; Dan Foster and a Ghanian lady popularly referred to as "It's not werking for me" had their independent opinions of the candidates even though one out of the trio always played the devil's advocate.

Question now is; who the hell is the devil's advocate that'll ensure a robust decision making process in the ongoing Idol show, when from all we see, all trio are sleeping with their heads in the same direction??

Reason the current panel needs to be disbanded, asides the joke Seyi Shay has made of the show by unprofessionally making mockery of young chaps she is meant to encourage, thereby wreaking psychological damages that may be indelible in the lives of the up and coming generation.

PS: I don't know the guy being auditioned in the attached pictures as I am speaking for countless others that are in my opinion, obviously far ahead of the judges musically, but were turned down.

Seyi is a judge, not a mother.

She is not bound to encourage.

She is bound to judge and be frank about it.

If someone can't sing in tune, you tell them straight off.

I have a deluded friend like that who thinks he is the next Michael Jackson. His parents have encouraged him thus far, but I am not one to pretend.

I told him, "boy, you can't sing".

Since then, he stopped talking to me.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 8:52am On Apr 19, 2021
jasonex4:
Personally i think the essence of this thread is to suggest that the organisers should have chosen people who know about music and not just by popularity or fame or whether or not their songs trended...

Take Cobhams for example, that guy knows a lot about music (popularity aside).

Another splendid example would be Timi Dakolo, that's another person that knows about music, even Waje, Chidinma Ekele, Chike or Praiz are better candidates than the lot out there on that stage...and there are many others like them who are even better than those i suggested..

Hopefully they learn from this and do better in their selection of judges when the show goes live.

Hopefully, this gets to them before the main show begins.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by CSTRR: 10:03am On Apr 19, 2021
That lady that sang with lagbaja is one of the most vocally gifted lady I have seen.

A true musician.

Na people like her Dem suppose dey call
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by DeeTweenie(f): 10:32am On Apr 19, 2021
I was surprised as well, knowing fully well that the lady couldn't sing as the ones they'veturned down..
Romanoff:
Rotfl.

Seyi Shay shouldn't be there.

I don't know Obi Asika so I can't speak for his expertise.

DJ Sose, why is a DJ even there?

Unlike the Voice, there is no benchmark for quality on Nigerian Idol.

Today, Seyi cut corners for one talentless girl she knows claiming she will give her a chance cause she knows she can sing, even after a messed up performance.

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by JewelBukky(f): 11:20am On Apr 19, 2021
grin grin grin... Honestly!
Amanda4life:
I WAS TELLING MY FRIENDS TODAY , THAT IDOL SHOULD TELL THOSE JUDGES TO COME OUT AND SING LETS HEAR THEIR OWN VOICES INDIVIDUAL Y

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:31am On Apr 19, 2021
Amanda4life:
I WAS TELLING MY FRIENDS TODAY , THAT IDOL SHOULD TELL THOSE JUDGES TO COME OUT AND SING LETS HEAR THEIR OWN VOICES INDIVIDUAL Y

It is not compulsory to know how to sing before you can judge a singing talent.

All you need is to understand music.

I am not a singer, but as a pianist with many years of experience, I understand how music works.

I can tell if someone is singing out of tune.

As for the judges, I don't know about the others. But I have known Seyi for many years.

She can sing!!!

Forget the studio works. She can perform very well on stage. She has got the vocals, and the delivery power.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:44am On Apr 19, 2021
CSTRR:
That lady that sang with lagbaja is one of the most vocally gifted lady I have seen.

A true musician.

Na people like her Dem suppose dey call

Was Ego truly a musician, or just a singer?

I don't know why people are questioning Seyi's talent.

She studied music, knows how to write, and how to deliver.

She has done band tours while in London, and beyond as far as Asia, including getting praiseworthy mentions.

You wouldn't survive on such band tours if you couldn't sing.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by ianNssy: 11:48am On Apr 19, 2021
I think the perfect person(s) are Obi Asika > Don Jazzy Dj Sose > 2face Seyi Shay > Simi
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 12:04pm On Apr 19, 2021
peggywebbs:

Keep quiet... nobody asked you to read her write up. You are jobless too on a Sunday.

Everyone has a right to their opinion..this forum is for airing your views, you have no right to tell people what they do or should not do with their time.

Apt response. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Stanfeelings: 12:29pm On Apr 19, 2021
I TOTALLY CONCUR WITH YOU. SHEYI SHAY IS WACK, HIGHLY PREJUDICED AND IN THE SHOW TO SHOW HERSELF. I WONDER HOW SHE GOT THE JOB IN THE FIRST PLACE... SHE SHOULD HELP ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO UP THEIR GAMES AND COME BACK NEXT TIME, RATHER SHE KILLS THEIR MORALES AND INNUENDO BY TRYING TO FORM WHAT I DONT KNW. TYPICAL LOCAL VILLAGE CHAMPION, WANNABE AND BUSY BODY
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by joni2time: 2:55pm On Apr 19, 2021
[I totally agree with you . For people that are auditioning for the first time . They should be given second chances particularly when u know this person has talent and can improve as the show goes on. quote author=stancydg post=100619492]The above mentioned music reality show currently running on DSTV and GOTV platforms may likely be the "wackiest" (for want of words) music reality show in recent times going by the quality of opinions thus far by the jury, made up of a 3man panel of Obi Asika; a Record Label Exec, Seyi Shay; a perpetual upcoming artiste going by the unpopularity of most, if not all her songs and DJ Sose; who at best is skillful at selecting songs that'll mostly appeal to club audiences.

One would have thought the record label executive in the person of Asika, who ordinarily should have been exposed to artistes of various kinds, will as a father figure, be in full control of the selection process, by way of influencing the opinions of the others even though the antecedents of past judges on the show clearly sets a pace for divergence in opinions that in the end, engenders a robust decision for or against the candidates. This is terribly in deficit this time on the show, as as much as a snarl from the perpetual upcoming artiste is enough influence of the opinions of two supposedly mature and independently minded men. Sose even managed to take his obvious lack of knowledge of music and consequently, a lack of sound judgement to annoying levels by always concurring to whatever Seyi Shay breathes, despite his body language telling otherwise.

All of the above is obvious in the audition of the young music producer, whose image you'll find attached to this post. I can bet that IK, the show host was shell shocked that the young man had to be turned down for no reasonable point, except for displaying his musical dexterity. If that's a crime, then pray tell me what Idols is all about?

I was part of the very first Idol show in Nigeria that produced the likes of Timi Dakolo and Omawunmi and what I can clearly remember is that singing foreign songs or even displaying your vocal dexterity wasn't a crime. If it was compulsory for candidates to do local pangolo songs for the show to be seen as "Nigerian Idol", like Miss Shay foolishly posits, then I dare the show organisers to switch the nomenclature to "Naija Oosa/Ojuju etc" and compel the judges to speak Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo.

Besides, in the first Idol show in Nigeria, the jury made up of seasoned music industry legend like Dede Mabiaku, Radio Joc; Dan Foster and a Ghanian lady popularly referred to as "It's not werking for me" had their independent opinions of the candidates even though one out of the trio always played the devil's advocate.

Question now is; who the hell is the devil's advocate that'll ensure a robust decision making process in the ongoing Idol show, when from all we see, all trio are sleeping with their heads in the same direction??

Reason the current panel needs to be disbanded, asides the joke Seyi Shay has made of the show by unprofessionally making mockery of young chaps she is meant to encourage, thereby wreaking psychological damages that may be indelible in the lives of the up and coming generation.

PS: I don't know the guy being auditioned in the attached pictures as I am speaking for countless others that are in my opinion, obviously far ahead of the judges musically, but were turned down.[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by joni2time: 3:06pm On Apr 19, 2021
[quote author=joni2time post=100932023][I totally agree with you . For people that are auditioning for the first time . They should be given second chances particularly when u know this person has talent and can improve as the show goes on.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by ImaIma1(f): 8:53pm On Apr 19, 2021
stancydg:

Thanks. Just concerned for the young ones. Saw a musically sound lady from Ondo state get discouraged yesterday for nothing.

I watched that episode and I can say that the guy did much better than many of the below averahe people they have selected.

I stopped watching because I noticed that they profile contestants from their looks and appearance. You hear stuff like "did you see her shoes".

And also because it seemed to me like they, especially Seyi are jealous of the ones who come and show their obvious vocal.prowess. They look.down their noses on the contestants and it's annoying.

They are still miles and decades behind The Voice Nigeria judges.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by NewDelhi(m): 11:09pm On Apr 19, 2021
stancydg:
The above mentioned music reality show currently running on DSTV and GOTV platforms may likely be the "wackiest" (for want of words) music reality show in recent times going by the quality of opinions thus far by the jury, made up of a 3man panel of Obi Asika; a Record Label Exec, Seyi Shay; a perpetual upcoming artiste going by the unpopularity of most, if not all her songs and DJ Sose; who at best is skillful at selecting songs that'll mostly appeal to club audiences.

PS: I don't know the guy being auditioned in the attached pictures as I am speaking for countless others that are in my opinion, obviously far ahead of the judges musically, but were turned down.
I've been watching Nigerian idol for days now. You're that kind of student who isn't intelligent but will want to be deceived by his teachers that he sabi book. Who are you doing? Who are you deceiving? That's the case with Sose, asika, Seyi and the peeps auditioning. If I was a judge there, I would have done worse .
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by NewDelhi(m): 11:13pm On Apr 19, 2021
jozeflyfX:
Stop been haters, I guess the writer of this post does not know how to handle rejection in life...

I do not see what is wrong with the ongoing selection of those making it to the next stage...

This is nigeria idols not your village singing competition. Only the best get the job.

Mind you Nigerian idols is what I mostly practically watch each day all the time on DStv

Shey shey is doing a good job , so are the others.

Stop hating because u were not selected
Exactly, the judges can't deceive you. They have to tell you the truth. I'm also watching the show. If you're good, they'll simply tell you you are good and pick a golden ticket.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by NewDelhi(m): 11:40pm On Apr 19, 2021
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by xristos(m): 12:15am On Apr 20, 2021
[quote author=NewDelhi post=100944962]Throwback

this judge was off it.. aggressive ontop of ignorance...and d contestant won my hear by being more mature.. commendable self control there...
Fela had performed with his pants more than twice
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by NewDelhi(m): 5:38am On Apr 20, 2021
[quote author=xristos post=100945389][/quote]
Exactly, he was just ignorant and emotional.

Fela performed alot of times with just panties. He did it many times. The contestant really tried. He was very mature and kept his cool. Not too many people would have digested that kind of insult. They wouldn't even give a damn if they came for auditioning or not.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 6:15pm On Jul 20, 2021
stancydg:

Eventually, it turns out this guy that was dropped and almost insulted during the audition stages of Nigerian Idols by the judges, makes it to the top 6 on The Voice Nigeria.

Isn't that amazing? Moral: Always believe in yourself.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Xandre: 7:04am On Jul 21, 2021
stancydg:

Eventually, it turns out this guy that was dropped and almost insulted during the audition stages of Nigerian Idols by the judges, makes it to the top 6 on The Voice Nigeria.

And any of the top 10 in The voice would have easily clinched the Nigerian Idol Title.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 9:19am On Jul 22, 2021
Xandre:
And any of the top 10 in The voice would have easily clinched the Nigerian Idol Title.

You're right.
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by Bash92(m): 9:38pm On Jul 22, 2021
stancydg:

Just came to say the same, I believe that is Dapo. The guy is doing well, a shame on the judges over there on Nigerian Idol
Re: Nigerian Idol Jury Should Be Disbanded: Opinion (photos) by stancydg: 7:04pm On Jul 23, 2021
Bash92:

Just came to say the same, I believe that is Dapo. The guy is doing well, a shame on the judges over there on Nigerian Idol

What you said is an understatement. It was crystal clear from the kick off of the final showdown Kingdom was miles ahead of the others. That only means one thing; the show ain't competitive.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Timaya - Bum Bum [video] + Download / On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. / Kingdom Wins Nigerian Idol 2021 (Season 6)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.