Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,477 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. (5011 Views)

2007 Yaris Lacks O2 Sensors / Hyundai owners Discussion / EGR Cleaning On 07 Lexus Rx350 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by Agbabiakara: 10:59am On Apr 11, 2021
This is to start discussion on effectiveness of using o2 spacers to deceive the ecm that the catalyst efficiency is above threshold and to treat some related catalyst codes. If you have used this method to solve (or not solve) the above stated problems, feel free to share your testimony. I will be detailing how the ecm on modern cars (07 and above) are smart enough to know that its being tricked by using o2 spacers. This will be done after receiving feedbacks from those that have used it on their cars. This thread is meant to be educative and interactive. Everybody is highly welcome.

3 Likes

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:12am On Apr 11, 2021
I've done that in an 07+ car without any issues.

Thread closed.

1 Like

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by Agbabiakara: 11:28am On Apr 11, 2021
Nice one. You mean there was no error codes after the exercise, if so, cool. If you do not mind, share the details of the car for others to know. I know for certain that ecm of modern cars with updated obd monitors are smart enough to detect the game. The thread is still very much open for inputs. I will discuss how the ecm conducts catalyst efficiency test on modern cars vis- a- vis cars earlier than 07 as time goes on.
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by Miyo190: 5:47pm On Apr 11, 2021
Had 02 spacer installed in my 2008 corrolla and after 4 months the check engine light came up with P0420 code again. Scanned and cleared code and it disappeared. Praying it doesn't cone back up again .

1 Like

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by Agbabiakara: 6:50pm On Apr 11, 2021
If the ecm conducts the catalyst efficiency test and pass, the fault code may not come back again. This depends on the catalyst monitor strategy in the ecm. Did you actually diagnose the cause of the code before installing the spacer? Small thing can cause the cat code apart from the catalyst itself.
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by Dez10(m): 9:08pm On Apr 11, 2021
There are high quality O2 spacers with mini inbuilt catalyst, those work best & most ordinary spacers nay not work on some vehicles

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by Dez10(m): 9:12pm On Apr 11, 2021
I already order this to install in my 06 matrix. I brought out d entire exhaust pipe & discovered that d upstream catalyst pot is empty without catalyst, though b4 then i scanned & got p0420 code.

Though the 2nd catalyst downstream is still intact
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by autologic: 9:36pm On Apr 11, 2021
Spacer will not always works for some some model of vehicle cos the ecu strategy employed to decipher efficency of cat is not alway the same accross board especially for the late model cars ,also it is also important to know that not all P0420 codes implies issues with cat cos what comes to minds of average tech or diy without any second thought is to change of cat blindly which can lead to a very expensive repair which doesn't solve the issue. what P0420 implies technically is that there is imbalance of stoic ratio which can set up a condition that is not perfect for the cat to operate at its optimum condition not alway about the cat itself.
So when dealing with the dreaded P0420 code ,apply caution ,avoid throwing parts blinding so that u don't get burnt .
To sum it up ,if your vehicle fall into the category of late model (2010-till date) don't even bother with spacer ,the cat efficency strategy has been modified to beat that hack .

6 Likes

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by SpaceAngel: 1:10am On Apr 12, 2021
I installed two on Highlander with 2gr-fe engine and the error disappeared without returning again. Mine actually had p0420 and p0430. There a very high quality spacers and the alarms have never repeated since like December last year. Got from a nairalander. It's also falls in the category of 2010 till date too.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:17am On Apr 12, 2021
SpaceAngel:
I installed two on Highlander with 2gr-fe engine and the error disappeared without returning again. Mine actually had p0420 and p0430. There a very high quality spacers and the alarms have never repeated since like December last year. Got from a nairalander. It's also falls in the category of 2010 till date too.

Leave these ones make dem dey talk rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by KnightsTemplar(m): 7:32am On Apr 12, 2021
HeavenlyBang:

Leave these ones make dem dey talk rubbish.

They are not saying rubbish, a lot of people are also here to learn.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by Agbabiakara: 9:25am On Apr 12, 2021
Let me quickly give a brief description of how the ecu knows that the cat is working. The ecu watches the signal of the downstream o2 sensor and compares it with the signal of the upstream sensor. If the two signals are the same, the ecu knows the cat is not working. The signal of the downstream o2 sensor should be relatively flatline in the neighbourhood of 450millivolts on a system that has a working cat. This strategy of detecting an effective cat by the ecu applies to vehicles below 2007. An updated strategy applies to newer than 07 vehicles.

What o2 spacer does is to shield the exhaust gases coming from the cat away from the downstream o2 sensor and by so doing the signal from it will be flatlined around 450millivolts, hence the ecm will pass the cat as affective. Vehicle with ecm with the above described strategy will record success with o2 spacer because the ecm will always see the signal it desires anytime it conducts the cat test

Vehicles equipped with ecm that has advanced cat testing strategy will be smart enough to know that its being deceived.

1 Like

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by Grupo(m): 10:03am On Apr 12, 2021
Dez10:
I already order this to install in my 06 matrix. I brought out d entire exhaust pipe & discovered that d upstream catalyst pot is empty without catalyst, though b4 then i scanned & got p0420 code.

How much did you buy the spacer?
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by BamBamK: 12:17pm On Apr 12, 2021
Gazzuzz sells this stuff and it works with EVERY car
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by Agbabiakara: 5:31am On Apr 15, 2021
grin
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by naijadrivablog: 7:04am On Apr 15, 2021
SpaceAngel:

you got it from Gazzuzz?
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by OPUSDEI1(m): 7:51am On Apr 15, 2021
Installed on a decatted 2007 Honda pilot since last year, just regular spacers. Till date no catalyst code even after a 200+ km trip recently. And yes fuel economy is still within spec.
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by OPUSDEI1(m): 1:18am On Apr 19, 2021
autologic:
Spacer will not always works for some some model of vehicle cos the ecu strategy employed to decipher efficency of cat is not alway the same accross board especially for the late model cars ,also it is also important to know that not all P0420 codes implies issues with cat cos what comes to minds of average tech or diy without any second thought is to change of cat blindly which can lead to a very expensive repair which doesn't solve the issue. what P0420 implies technically is that there is imbalance of stoic ratio which can set up a condition that is not perfect for the cat to operate at its optimum condition not alway about the cat itself.
So when dealing with the dreaded P0420 code ,apply caution ,avoid throwing parts blinding so that u don't get burnt .
To sum it up ,if your vehicle fall into the category of late model (2010-till date) don't even bother with spacer ,the cat efficency strategy has been modified to beat that hack .

I just remembered also, on request by my client, i decatted and fixed regular spacers on a 2012 Toyota Camry since last year. Till date no catalyst code and fuel economy is within spec.

4 Likes

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by diportivo: 8:03am On Apr 19, 2021
OPUSDEI1:

I just remembered also, on request by my client, i decatted and fixed regular spacers on a 2012 Toyota Camry since last year. Till date no catalyst code and fuel economy is within spec.

lies

1 Like

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by eherbal(m): 10:03am On Apr 19, 2021
autologic:
@gazzuzz
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by eherbal(m): 10:07am On Apr 19, 2021
diportivo:

lies
pls do cke3ar the air on this sir.thanks
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by diportivo: 12:10pm On Apr 19, 2021
eherbal:
pls do cke3ar the air on this sir.thanks

lol

I'm simply going with what the guru that said about 2010 and above cars not being able to use spacers

he has plenty experience and so I'm with him on this

cheers
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by Agbabiakara: 11:02pm On Apr 19, 2021
Exhaust leak downstream of the upstream o2 as little as the size of the head of a needle can cause the ecm to throw cat code. We need to embrace the habit of investigating the root cause of any code instead of throwing parts at it. Sometimes we are lucky......

3 Likes

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by bobbiiee: 8:56pm On Oct 31, 2021
SpaceAngel:
I installed two on Highlander with 2gr-fe engine and the error disappeared without returning again. Mine actually had p0420 and p0430. There a very high quality spacers and the alarms have never repeated since like December last year. Got from a nairalander. It's also falls in the category of 2010 to date too.

Do you have the contact of the person? How much is the 02 spacer?
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by rapheal5(m): 2:39pm On Dec 03, 2021
Dez10:

how much is the 02 spacer
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by Babalawoniger: 2:46pm On Dec 04, 2021
How much is the 02 spacer, and how do I get it?
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by kingreign(m): 1:56am On Dec 05, 2021
Not all cars can be fooled by spacers.
One of them is Range Rover (they're a good number of other car brand/manufacturers too). You'd be wasting your time and money and effort to attempt to fool those things.

1 Like

Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by Agbabiakara: 11:53am On Dec 05, 2021
True. Just like diesel exhaust fluid(DEF) in modern diesel engines. The ecm cannot be tricked by using just any fluid. The strategy in the ecm will detect the wrong fluid and put the car in limp mode or in some cases no-start. The softwares in those ecu's are smart.
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by proclinician: 2:34pm On Feb 11, 2022
SpaceAngel:

Give me contact pls. The Nairalander
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by davit: 9:41pm On Feb 11, 2022
Dez10:
There are high quality O2 spacers with mini inbuilt catalyst, those work best & most ordinary spacers nay not work on some vehicles
This is what I used for my 010 corolla. No codesince last year April. I have an extra sef that I bought in case someone else has the issue.
Re: O2 Sensors Spacers Discussion-Effective or not On 07 & Above Vehicles. by davit: 9:42pm On Feb 11, 2022
proclinician:

Give me contact pls. The Nairalander

I have one for sale. Mention me if interested.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Previa For Transport Biz? / Road Trip Experience On Major Highways This Period / Is Kia Rio A Good Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.