Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,056 members, 7,807,175 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:44 AM

How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry (12616 Views)

Police Rescue 600 Kano Workers Locked For 3 Months In Rice Factory / Man Dies In Enugu As Foundation At A Construction Site Collapses On Him (Graphic / Get An Edge In Construction Industry By Attending This FREE AUTOCAD Training. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by meobizy(f): 11:09pm On Apr 26, 2021
Most of the roles in this industry are labour intensive. Many women will refuse to take the positions because of their arduous nature. There is also scarcity of jobs. Where I work, majority of the people employed got in via connections.

1 Like

Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by FORWARDEVERLY: 11:14pm On Apr 26, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

Have you also noticed the imbalance of genders in the Military?

Can you push the FG to reduce male quotas in thr military to 10% so that women will take the remaining 90%.

If you cannot push for this legislatively, you are an unwise dolt.

Thank you for this reply to the Op..
grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by FORWARDEVERLY: 11:15pm On Apr 26, 2021
Magae:
The construction industry is widely considered to be one of the world’s largest industrial employers of labour, and is linked to all other sectors of countries’ economies. It presents a path to empower women economically but it tends to be dominated by men.

In spite of past initiatives in many parts of the world to increase their participation in the construction industry at all levels, women remain a minority.

This is not only an issue of equitable gender representation but one of meeting the industry’s needs.

Researchers have identified skills shortages as a problem in construction. Attracting more women to careers in the industry could help bridge these gaps.

In Nigeria, women make up only 16.3% of the construction profession. Research on this is scarce but one 2006 study of the informal housing delivery sector found that women’s participation was extremely low.

This was presumed to be due to certain cultural ethics and values in Nigeria.
In our study, we investigated the current level of women’s participation, challenges faced by professional women and the factors that influence them in the course of developing careers in construction.

We found that gender discrimination and dominance of male culture were among the top constraints. The top strategy suggested for changing this was to make young women aware of opportunities that exist for them in the industry.

Who locked them out ??
Why is the key kept??
Make dem go protest nah...
Clowns..

2 Likes

Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by mrcoolautofix(m): 11:20pm On Apr 26, 2021
saphiere:
Reason why Nigeria will not go far.
the reason why you will remain dumber
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by uniquelyspecial(m): 11:25pm On Apr 26, 2021
CryptoTeacher:
Seriously?

Shebi masons are part of the construction industry? Of course they should.

In places like Ebonyi State, I've seen more women working as masons in construction sites than men. I believe there are people here that can confirm my claim.
Thank you!
If them come Ebonyi, that statistics go change

1 Like

Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by mrcoolautofix(m): 11:29pm On Apr 26, 2021
saphiere:
Let today be the last day you quote me on this forum.
you lazy bone vagabond why didn't read civil engineering? You choosed mass communication so you can stay here & gossip under the shade

Ye ye ye ye ye shut the fck up! Gat damn you punk ass

1 Like

Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by surckerg(m): 11:32pm On Apr 26, 2021
CryptoTeacher:
Seriously?

In places like Ebonyi State, I've seen more women working as masons in construction sites than men. I believe there are people here that can confirm my claim.

Very true, I served there and I witnessed it, women carry concrete to fill decking too in Lagos, and some carry blocks too in construction sites

1 Like

Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by mrcoolautofix(m): 11:34pm On Apr 26, 2021
uniquelyspecial:

Thank you!
If them come Ebonyi, that statistics go change

Listen to yourself ebonyi won't woman are not Instagram slay bitches, like most of yo, ebonyi woman aren't masquerade wearing makeup with fake hair eyeliner nails, they are not fake they are realistic you are unreliably unrealistic the mus CV le you gat is on your mouth

1 Like

Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by uniquelyspecial(m): 11:42pm On Apr 26, 2021
mrcoolautofix:

Listen to yourself ebonyi won't woman are not Instagram slay bitches, like most of yo, ebonyi woman aren't masquerade wearing makeup with fake hair eyeliner nails, they are not fake they are realistic you are unreliably unrealistic the mus CV le you gat is on your mouth
Who is this one and what is he saying? I have neither insulted nor belittled Ebonyi women.

I live here in Ai. Everybody around knows what he said is fact! They dominate the workforce of all the building sites around.
They are generally strong and can be very hard-working. So keep your mouth.

Besides there are lash-wearing, and nails-carrying women around also. That's why we have weavon republic and the likes here.
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by TundeChris: 12:47am On Apr 27, 2021
saphiere:
Says who?

Biology dear, biology!

1 Like

Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by 1Sharon(f): 12:51am On Apr 27, 2021
Feminism has entered Nigeria grin
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by Princedapace(m): 1:26am On Apr 27, 2021
saphiere:
Says who?

No law is stopping women from getting jobs there.

We also wonder why we don't have more women in the war front fighting Boko Haram and all criminal activities. Wemen should push for that. We need them there also.
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by Azakari(m): 4:27am On Apr 27, 2021
woman should be given the privilage to work in construction company but not as a site supervisor or engineer but as an administrative position and architectural drawings and designs.
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by solonubinho(m): 4:46am On Apr 27, 2021
Just look at the nonsense you wrote. Women that work hard definitely make it to the industry. You just conveniently turned a blind eye to the fact that most of these Nigerian girls would rather learn make up or sell clothes and shoes via whatsapp or do tailoring with a 'hook up' side hustle while looking for someone successful to latch on to in the name of marriage and then claim gender discrimination.
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by onyeogalu1(m): 5:31am On Apr 27, 2021
CryptoTeacher:
Seriously?

I don't know about the number but there are women doing alot of the artesian work in the construction industry in Ebony.
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by KunleyY19(m): 5:34am On Apr 27, 2021
For ladies In Civil Engineering field, they are more suited to consultancy work and that depends on their brain.
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by wilfred101: 6:23am On Apr 27, 2021
CryptoTeacher:
Seriously?

it is surprisingly true
I can attest to this fact
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by kense88: 6:49am On Apr 27, 2021
They prefer there soft work
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by cooooooks(m): 6:57am On Apr 27, 2021
Female participation in Construction is low globally.

I will also say that there are no boundaries to women to be directly in the construction industry. None that I have seen from the industry itself. Every supply chain employs or is run by a lot of women.

Services to construction workers: food, drink, leisure time, is dominated by women.
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by solidmyk(m): 7:14am On Apr 27, 2021
Omoh the only time i've experienced women working in the construction field resulted into disaster, she wasn't that skilled though but when she was able to step up and experience power, she sinked the ship of our company by sacking the over all engineer who created the design blueprint, as if that wasn't enough she became abusive and emotional on every issues.
That was how everyone started leaving one by one, i was able to also after receiving my pay mo ya japa. there hasn't been no progress in the project right from then.
Lets face the truth women can't handle the positions in the construction field its too enormous aside the exceptional ones
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by Speedy001(m): 7:21am On Apr 27, 2021
Hndrrxxx:
Of course the construction company is not for children or ladies

How will they handle the contractor telling the site engineer he's in site and has not done anything since morning while you've been in site since 7am against all traffic odds cuz the contractor just called you all of a sudden those he paid to bring plaster sand couldn't make it yesterday and they will be coming in as early as 7am today. After receiving the sand, your also the stock keeper and went to check the cement you will be using for block setting and casting before the bricklayers and casters arrive all this with an empty stomach. You shuffle and multi task between supervisor the bricklayers, those casting the raft foundations , the interlockers who are laying the interlock, the technician fixing the german door and the other bricklayers doing plastering. Only for the main contractor to come and tell you your literally useless, the plastee sand is not gum enough and is wasting the cement, the iron benders , electricians and plumbers didn't finish their work before you allow casting, the interlock they mould yesterday with 12 bags of cements ought to be 1500 PCs why didn't you count it?? They have not started laying the interlock of building 12 and we are handing over by Wednesday, tell me what have you been doing since morning.

Dammnn@@ embarassed embarassed embarassed
If you think all these is what a woman can handle both emotionally and physically then you need to think twice undecided
Seems you are an engineer
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 27, 2021
Let's face it construction is not a woman's forte, they can't handle the noise, physical demands that go with it, speaking from experience.

When they get married or pregnant, output diminishes, they start asking for days of, leave at the end of the day its a man who ends up doing the job.

How many women do you see on construction sites supervising? Can they carry blocks, break concrete, they can't even operate machinery.

The women you see in construction sites are poster girls whose job is to service construction workers.
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by richie240: 8:11am On Apr 27, 2021
'Sniper' is at hand......u may do d needful instead of waiting for d destruction of d 'zoo', cuz its like waiting for Godot.

God bless Nigeria!
cool

[s]
saphiere:
Reason why Nigeria will not go far.
[/s]
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by enambobo(m): 8:17am On Apr 27, 2021
I wonder how people will just wake up to start writing gibberish. So you just went to the construction industry to take the percentage of men to women then came up with this post. Did you first do a research to find out how many females take up construction related courses in the tertiary institutions? All you know is to play the victim card. Blaming gender discrimination for everything when it's obvious the issue lies with the females themselves. Get your facts right before posting. No dey post nonsense.
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by orlaglobal234: 9:10am On Apr 27, 2021
According to Terrorist Buhari sorry president Buhari he said women belong to kitchen and other room so why worry yourself bikonu
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by Hndrrxxx(m): 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2021
Speedy001:
Seems you are an engineer
yup grin grin
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by lexy2014: 9:31pm On Apr 27, 2021
saphiere:
Let today be the last day you quote me on this forum.

Pls what's today's date?
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by Speedy001(m): 9:07pm On Apr 28, 2021
Hndrrxxx:
yup grin grin
am also an engineer connect me please
Re: How Women Are Locked Out Of Nigeria’s Construction Industry by Hndrrxxx(m): 9:16pm On Apr 28, 2021
Speedy001:

am also an engineer connect me please
oh I was thinking your a romance expert

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Any Opportunities In Healthcare Consulting/management In Nigeria? / Celebrating High Flying Nigerian Businesswomen / Can I Be A Businessman As A Federal Government Worker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.