Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,456 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space (16092 Views)

Are You A Programmer Or App Developer Who Wish To Work Remotely For A US Company / The Basic Architecture Concepts I Wish I Knew When I Was Getting Started As A We / 6 Things I Learnt From My Mobile App’s Journey To Its First 1000 Downloads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by africonn: 10:54am On Apr 12, 2021
The market is tough and harsh, it doesn't give a damn about anyone's over-bloated self-ego and wishful thinking which I believe we all suffer from.
I haven't gotten anywhere but here are the things, I am working on to become better in the field.

Staying in African as a dev should be an extra motivation to double the hustle but no human nature would always kick in and you will get hit series of syndrome that will want to slow things down before you know you are lagging behind.

Here are the things you need to know as an aspiring Software Engr.

1. You will never be good enough (Imposter Syndrome):
I guess you already know what that means, start doing whatever your goals are for learning to code immediately.

2. Never code without Mock-up:
You can say but I am not a UI/UX designer, it doesn't matter, knowing exactly what you want to make will save you a lot of UI debugging time, companies that spend money on product designers are not dumb and besides it doesn't take that much time to grab the basics, though becoming an expert can take a lifetime, but hey the basics to is okay for you as a FE developer.

3. Know exactly what you want before you write your first print function:
I know this seems easy but I can bet it's not cos it's a trap I have fallen into myself, From backend engineering with node.js to js 2D canvas games to FE with react.js, next.js to AWS to chrome extensions development and UI testing. It seems I have fallen into endless learning which in the end there is almost nothing to show for it. Assuming I had stuck to the react.js community and just did the needful, I might have landed a remote job by now after spending 3 years in the space.

4. Network like mad:
Again, I failed here, I can't stress enough how your network is your net worth. A lot of ideas comes when you don't even think about it when your brain wave frequency is very low, You can know what problem people have that you can solve if you don't get out there and network, Linkedin is your best friend in the regard, reduce FB and bird app to the minimum if you don't want to trade networking for productivity which at the end will feel meaningless. If you have ideas, the MVP is ready, if you have quality the network the sky is the limit.

5. Get exposed:
I am taking a lot of petty skills seriously these days, I have widened my horizon, I don't code for as long as possible again, I try to take inspiration from many spaces through I get to know about many problems, e.g I have YouTube channel on Bet bots, Do I play bets? No. But there is a community of people who do who will be super happy to handle over their cash to me if I can solve their gamble problems, which is basically reducing loss.

6. Find mentors:
It is really difficult to find people who wanna mentor people with course to sell or hidden agendas that's why I commend people like tensazangetsu20 (bro where u find u moniker self grin) for his persistent talk on coding miseducation, Listen to what he said works and it's your job to cut the bullshit out by wiving the ultimate Google.

There are a lot of things to discuss and say, In fact, I never start, but I believe am still learning, and learning never ends but never allow learning mess up your productivity.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by africonn: 11:15am On Apr 12, 2021
Let's connect on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/abdulazeez-olabode-52a81019b/

Join my African Community, Create a post and mention me, thanks.

www.africonn.com

2 Likes

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by Nickisindigo(m): 12:26pm On Apr 12, 2021
K
Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by All4good: 7:06am On Apr 21, 2021
Coding is challenging (write, debug and run) and being able to sell your skill for the right price is increasingly tougher these days so it's easy to be demotivated.
Mentors have always adviced that it is best practice to have a personal project you would be developing with what you are learning. This will help you stay focused on what languages you need to achieve a set goal. Rather than jumping from learning one language after another.

6 Likes

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by rocknation62(m): 12:45pm On Apr 22, 2021
It is not too late,no knowledge is a waste we learn everyday & learning never stops...

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by kponkedenge(m): 12:46pm On Apr 22, 2021
Truth is that the IT world especially here in Nigeria is getting very saturated and opportunities that were easy to come by - say 5 to 10 years ago are now so difficult to see.

Those that started coding back then are enjoying now.... I know most that have even left Nigeria and taken up jobs overseas.... Especially the person who taught me how to code.

Not to discourage upcoming developers.... But just try and be extremely good at what you do... You will definitely fit in somewhere.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by Alejobs: 12:46pm On Apr 22, 2021
The more time you put in, the better you get, you need a good mentor too. I sell laptop powerbank,A a powerbank can be a replacement for your laptop battery or charger You may need one due to poor power supply in ur area and you will also find it useful on days when your device battery is low, or you are on the go and it is important to work on laptop or phone or maybe grid power is out and gen refuse to work. It is then you will find a powerbank very useful. Many have missed out on deadline, appointment, lost their way, miss target, dates because they don't have a powerbank around to save the day. Get yourself reliable powerbank today! O8O6-531-63O7
Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by Jessicaos(f): 12:47pm On Apr 22, 2021
Nice

1 Like

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by BarrElChapo(m): 12:50pm On Apr 22, 2021
Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by melaniaup: 12:50pm On Apr 22, 2021
Any body with PHPSTORM crack
Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by Lexusgs430: 12:52pm On Apr 22, 2021
We can't all be coders...... cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by Sheriman(m): 12:52pm On Apr 22, 2021
Programming language is not a business that you will be picking one language today and dumping it for another tomorrow. Programming is a long life skill which you must learn and code everyday for you to be good at it.
Nigerians want to learn all the Programming language which is very wrong. Pick only one language stick with it explore every thing in it and be the best at it.
Developed ground breaking Application with it. That's when you a now a professional Programmer.

18 Likes

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by paddyDIGITAL(m): 12:52pm On Apr 22, 2021
Good info. Thanks
Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by 900warriorz: 12:53pm On Apr 22, 2021
Me I no kuku know wetin una dey talk grin

11 Likes

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by Authoreety: 12:53pm On Apr 22, 2021
Cool
Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by Nobody: 12:54pm On Apr 22, 2021
Commendable facts.

Over 50million email for sale, with free email software.

1 Like

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by Ajilenu: 12:54pm On Apr 22, 2021
africonn:
The market is tough and harsh, it doesn't give a damn about anyone's over-bloated self-ego and wishful thinking which I believe we all suffer from.
I haven't gotten anywhere but here are the things, I am working on to become better in the field.

Staying in African as a dev should be an extra motivation to double the hustle but no human nature would always kick in and you will get hit series of syndrome that will want to slow things down before you know you are lagging behind.

I guess you already know what that means, start doing whatever your goals are for learning to code immediately.

You can say but I am not a UI/UX designer, it doesn't matter, knowing exactly what you want to make will save you a lot of UI debugging time, companies that spend money on product designers are not dumb and besides it doesn't take that much time to grab the basics, though becoming an expert can take a lifetime, but hey the basics to is okay for you as a FE developer.

I know this seems easy but I can bet it's not cos it's a trap I have fallen into myself, From backend engineering with node.js to js 2D canvas games to FE with react.js, next.js to AWS to chrome extensions development and UI testing. It seems I have fallen into endless learning which in the end there is almost nothing to show for it. Assuming I had stuck to the react.js community and just did the needful, I might have landed a remote job by now after spending 3 years in the space.

4. Network like mad:
Again, I failed here, I can't stress enough how your network is your net worth. A lot of ideas comes when you don't even think about it when your brain wave frequency is very low, You can know what problem people have that you can solve if you don't get out there and network, Linkedin is your best friend in the regard, reduce FB and bird app to the minimum if you don't want to trade networking for productivity which at the end will feel meaningless. If you have ideas, the MVP is ready, if you have quality the network the sky is the limit.

5. Get exposed:
I am taking a lot of petty skills seriously these days, I have widened my horizon, I don't code for as long as possible again, I try to take inspiration from many spaces through I get to know about many problems, e.g I have YouTube channel on Bet bots, Do I play bets? No. But there is a community of people who do who will be super happy to handle over their cash to me if I can solve their gamble problems, which is basically reducing loss.

6. Find mentors:
It is really difficult to find people who wanna mentor people with course to sell or hidden agendas that's why I commend people like tensazangetsu20 (bro where u find u moniker self grin) for his persistent talk on coding miseducation, Listen to what he said works and it's your job to cut the bullshit out by wiving the ultimate Google.

There are a lot of things to discuss and say, In fact, I never start, but I believe am still learning, and learning never ends but never allow learning mess up your productivity.

dude, I like you already. Though I'm not in the Tech space, I'm in the Digital space but you said somethings I can relate with but didn't know was a problem. Thanks alot. We fit connect if you like

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by techstack: 12:55pm On Apr 22, 2021
You will still write code to test your code
Interesting

Learning as a software developer is endless

Now cloud technology is the thing now
Containers
Kubernate

You must know almost everything else you will not be relevant

4 Likes

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by Sheriman(m): 12:55pm On Apr 22, 2021
Yinkstar1:
I NEED MORE NIGERIANS BOTH MALE AND FEMALE AUXILIARY NURSE TO WORK IN SAUDI AS HOME AND CLINIC NURSING JOB.
Salary is 1600SAR.
Service charge applies

The offer is strictly for Nigerian auxiliary nurse to Saudi Arabia

REQUIREMENTS

-SSCE result with minimum 5 credits including English and mathematics.
-Nursing Certificate
-Original Testimonial
-Police Character Certificate from Alagbon Lagos
-6 photography passports (white background)
-Service charge is 500k Nigeria money.
500,000 Naira covers, Visa processing, ticket and airport clearance. Client will be responsible for Covid test
Free accommodation, free transportation and feeding allowance for the first 3 months.
Another Human trafficker to the war turn Libya spotted on Nairaland. Nairaland is not safe anymore.
My people beware and becareful Please don't fall for this

24 Likes

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by KhingLufem1(m): 12:55pm On Apr 22, 2021
Ok
Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by Cerebellum: 12:57pm On Apr 22, 2021
Real niggaa

Isoright
Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by StonedLex(m): 12:58pm On Apr 22, 2021
I started learning python but I haven't touched it in months. How do you guys get motivated to continue? sad

5 Likes

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by Pharaoh4rin(m): 12:59pm On Apr 22, 2021
This is the kind of thread I need to read on nl. Political or ethno-religiius thread are a bunch of heartbreak for me.
Thanks mod

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by ninety5: 1:01pm On Apr 22, 2021
Y
Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by bytementor: 1:01pm On Apr 22, 2021
Nice one OP,

Still struggling with learning to code today, see how CodeWithPal can help you become a professional today
https://codewithpal.com/#rapiddev

3 Likes

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by marshalcarter: 1:03pm On Apr 22, 2021
africonn:

4. Network like mad:

5. Get exposed:

6. Find mentors:

Nice piece man
God bless you for this...can i ask you few questions please grin
Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by thatsleepboy1: 1:03pm On Apr 22, 2021
it's good you've learnt your lessons.
Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by MansoryMX(m): 1:05pm On Apr 22, 2021
Yinkstar1:
I NEED MORE NIGERIANS BOTH MALE AND FEMALE AUXILIARY NURSE TO WORK IN SAUDI AS HOME AND CLINIC NURSING JOB.
Salary is 1600SAR.
Service charge applies

The offer is strictly for Nigerian auxiliary nurse to Saudi Arabia

REQUIREMENTS

-SSCE result with minimum 5 credits including English and mathematics.
-Nursing Certificate
-Original Testimonial
-Police Character Certificate from Alagbon Lagos
-6 photography passports (white background)
-Service charge is 500k Nigeria money.
500,000 Naira covers, Visa processing, ticket and airport clearance. Client will be responsible for Covid test
Free accommodation, free transportation and feeding allowance for the first 3 months.

Look at this human trafficker! Will you get out of here!

3 Likes

Re: Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space by Cerebellum: 1:06pm On Apr 22, 2021
Real niggaa

Isoright

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Interview Questions For A Software Developer ! / Turing.com Live Coding Interview Preparation / BBC Interviews Aseni And Oseni Ikhianosime, 2 Young Nigerian Developers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.