Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,445 members, 7,808,592 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:56 PM

Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. (54953 Views)

Finidi George Makes Laliga African All-time Best Eleven / Joseph Yobo Pictured With Finidi George - Check His Current Look / See What Finidi George Looks Like Now (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by NLPoliceWoman: 12:37pm On Apr 15, 2021
LZAA:

Shatap

Again,
Seun, Mynd44 Justwise Dominique.
Rule 2.
Rule 1.

1. Please post all threads in the right section, and don't derail threads by posting off topic.
2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by Ishilove: 12:39pm On Apr 15, 2021
naptu2:
The NFF @thenff

https://mobile.twitter.com/thenff/status/1382638872966926337
The last time I watched football, this guy was still in active sports
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by Ogamysamo: 12:39pm On Apr 15, 2021
inumidun2010:

The Day BUHARI pronounce PEOPLE correctly...

the resumption day is the day buhari pronounce people correctly that means it is a case of maranatha (till the Lord comes)
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by PHijo(m): 12:39pm On Apr 15, 2021
lekki1444:
wow thats interesting

That's why I laugh when Nigerians make all sorts of comments about Ijaw people. Most people don't know who is Ijaw. If I mention known people that are Ijaw a lot of people may even argue.

1 Like

Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by Amotolongbo(f): 12:43pm On Apr 15, 2021
naptu2:
I had a friend whose father was a football star in the 1950s, '60s and '70s. His father also coached the Super Eagles in the 1980s and the Super Falcons in the 1990s.

You would think that my friend would love football but it was quite the opposite.

My friend was a tennis star and he represented Nigeria in the 1990s. He hated football. He was always ranting that football fans were violent thugs and that the government paid too much attention to football.
Unravelling the puzzle, you are talking about Paul Hamilton
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by mapet: 12:45pm On Apr 15, 2021
naptu2:
Finidi's younger brother, Iginaware George was killed during an FA Cup match at the Lekan Salami Stadium, Adamasingba in Ibadan in 1995.

Stationery Stores were playing against Rangers in Ibadan. Iginaware played for Rangers. Then there was crowd trouble and violence erupted. Some people claimed that Shooting Stars supporters, who were rivals with Stationery Stores, came to the stadium to fight stores supporters. Others claimed that the violence was started by Stores supporters.

Anyway, there was pandemonium and everybody ran for cover. Gunshots rang out amid the pandemonium and Iginaware lay on the ground bleeding. Some people say that the shots were fired by fans, while others say they were fired by the bodyguards of the military governor who was also at the stadium.

The governor, Colonel Chinyere Ike Nwosu, rushed Iginaware George to the hospital and prayed the rosary with him along the way, but Iginaware George died.

I remember this story... very unfortunate
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by pharmagba: 12:51pm On Apr 15, 2021
Lious Van Gaal once spoke about Findi George he said, " put a coin the box 18 and tell Findi to deliver a cross on it, he will deliver it pin point"

2 Likes

Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by lekki1444: 12:51pm On Apr 15, 2021
PHijo:

That's why I laugh when Nigerians make all sorts of comments about Ijaw people. Most people don't know who is Ijaw. If I mention known people that are Ijaw a lot of people may even argue.
i swear he looks like those yoruba guys at isale eko hehehe. My Ijaw brethren I salute ooooo cheesy
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by PHijo(m): 12:54pm On Apr 15, 2021
lekki1444:
i swear he looks like those yoruba guys at isale eko hehehe. My Ijaw brethren I salute ooooo cheesy

grin grin grin grin
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by lucky4west: 1:05pm On Apr 15, 2021
HBD bruv more happy years...one of those guys that gave us joy way back
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by porthouse7(f): 1:07pm On Apr 15, 2021
Mikecold:
Kanu na big boy o

Too bad okocha has better investment sense than him

which investment Friday kujah almost run him aground while trying to invest in Nigeria, if u think he own betking Google is ur friend he's only an ambassador
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by zudozz: 1:13pm On Apr 15, 2021
HBD Legend

best crosser of the ball during his time.
best outside right in the world
Ajax and Mallorca Legend!
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by Burgerlomo: 1:22pm On Apr 15, 2021
HBD LLNP cool
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by darelar(m): 1:30pm On Apr 15, 2021
Happy birthday Legend Finidi 7. One of my favourite in the 90s
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by rennylaw(m): 1:41pm On Apr 15, 2021
naptu2:
The NFF @thenff

The most underrated right winger in Europe during his hey days.

Happy birthday Finito. We say thank you to you and other legends in the class of 94 for bringing smile on our faces back then with the robust football that the super eagles of Nigeria was known for.

Cheers to many years in good health and prosperity.

2 Likes

Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by ogmask: 1:41pm On Apr 15, 2021
naptu2:
I had a friend whose father was a football star in the 1950s, '60s and '70s. His father also coached the Super Eagles in the 1980s and the Super Falcons in the 1990s.

You would think that my friend would love football but it was quite the opposite.

My friend was a tennis star and he represented Nigeria in the 1990s. He hated football. He was always ranting that football fans were violent thugs and that the government paid too much attention to football.

Anyway, Nigeria defeated Greece at the 1994 World Cup and then I saw my friend the next day. He was ranting that the players had gone to disgrace Nigeria. "It was shown all over the world!"

I was confused because we played well and beat Greece. Then someone else told me what he was ranting about. Finidi George's goal celebration!

"That thing was shown on CNN! They'll think that's how Nigerians are" he complained. I couldn't stop laughing.

Watch Finidi's goal and celebration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_mwyGKBSwI

My brother as I watch that video with clear eyes now, free of tension, I see wetin your friend mean. The celebration though...hahahahaha
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by Johel(m): 1:51pm On Apr 15, 2021
naptu2:

Anyway, Nigeria defeated Greece at the 1994 World Cup and then I saw my friend the next day. He was ranting that the players had gone to disgrace Nigeria. "It was shown all over the world!"

I was confused because we played well and beat Greece. Then someone else told me what he was ranting about. Finidi George's goal celebration!

"That thing was shown on CNN! They'll think that's how Nigerians are" he complained. I couldn't stop laughing.

That's an EXPENSIVE GOAL!... legendary shi**
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by ajl: 1:55pm On Apr 15, 2021
C"mon Finidi, how can we be age mate, with just two months difference. Sunday Oliseh was my headboy when I was in Form 4 at MBHS Lagos, then he was in A-Level Upper Class 6. Even I was still the youngest in my class as everyone was older than me by a year..

1 Like

Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by GEEBITE: 1:57pm On Apr 15, 2021
Oh my the legendary Archie McPherson. My big aunty a football buff will ask if the commentary by him or she is not interested in a.match .Thank God we have Peter Drury and Jim Beglin now,
naptu2:
Finidi George's goal against Bayern Munich in the 1995 Champions League.

Archie McPherson screamed, "And Finidi Geeoorge!!!"

My sister said, "Look at Samuel Ossei Kuffour's mouth".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc8GF28Rkjs
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by OnlyDeCapPlease(m): 1:57pm On Apr 15, 2021
naptu2:
Finidi George's top ten goals with Ajax Amsterdam.

He won the UEFA Champions League with them in 1995 and the silver medal in 1996.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGKH-2H-9kM

The number 1 goal though. E shock am.

Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by GEEBITE: 1:59pm On Apr 15, 2021
You are right,Sunday Oliseh was born 1969 and I am certain Finidi will be like two years older than him.
ajl:
C"mon Finidi, how can we be age mate, with just two months difference. Sunday Oliseh was my headboy when I was in Form 4 at MBHS Lagos, then he was in A-Level Upper Class 6. Even I was still the youngest in my class as everyone was older than me by a year..
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by naptu2: 2:02pm On Apr 15, 2021
OnlyDeCapPlease:

The number 1 goal though. E shock am.

Samuel Ossei Kuffour
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by GEEBITE: 2:02pm On Apr 15, 2021
Real Betis Legend not Mallorca .He has a spot in that massive stadium dedicated for hanging is bowler hat he put on whenever he scored a goal..He made it a point of duty to score against big teams like Madrid and Barca.
zudozz:
HBD Legend

best crosser of the ball during his time.
best outside right in the world
Ajax and Mallorca Legend!

1 Like

Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by GEEBITE: 2:10pm On Apr 15, 2021
So you were friends with late Priye.he was a smashing guy. May his soul and that of his Dad Paul rest in peace.
naptu2:

Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by SocialEngineer: 2:28pm On Apr 15, 2021
Happy birthday
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by Cutefergieee: 2:29pm On Apr 15, 2021
Na so dem use Naija negative foot ball kill his younger brother back then In Ibadan against Shooting stars... May the gentle soul of Igeniwari Geroge rest in peace
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by mysticwarrior(m): 2:37pm On Apr 15, 2021
finidi George remains the best winger the super eagles has ever had.
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Apr 15, 2021
porthouse7:
which investment Friday kujah almost run him aground while trying to invest in Nigeria, if u think he own betking Google is ur friend he's only an ambassador
He own club10 Lagos one of the biggest joints in Lagos

I don't need to tell you how pretty Mike, obi cubana, Shina Peller dey ball with club business

That is just one of his investment
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by naptu2: 2:56pm On Apr 15, 2021
There is a fantastic video that has been released by Ajax. It shows Finidi's former colleagues wishing him a happy birthday.

In the video are Coach Louis Van Gaal, goalkeeper Edwin Van der Saar, Patrick Kluivert, Marc Overmaars, Frank De Boer, Jari Litmanen and other stars from that era wishing Finidi a happy birthday and singing the song that the fans used to sing about him

1 Like

Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by feedthenation(m): 3:01pm On Apr 15, 2021
---HBD Finidi George---a true football legend---
Re: Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. by janga02(m): 3:24pm On Apr 15, 2021
naptu2:
The NFF @thenff

I love the way this guy make football so easy back then in the 90s.

Finidi at ajax with Kanu will make you want to be a Nigerian that time.

When he got to real betis, he was like a prof of football.
You hardly see footballer as cool as Finidi nowadays.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mikel Obi’s Relationship With Olga Diyachenko Threatened Over Turkey Move / EPL: Ronaldo Breaks Shirt Sales Record In 24 Hours / "The One Mistake Ronaldo Made In His Career" - Carlo Ancelotti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.