Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community (20057 Views)

OKITIPUPA: A Town In Nigeria Without Electricity For over 12 Years (Pictures) / Solar Hybrid Mini-Grid: REA Electrifies Ogun State Community After 200 Years / Mubarak’s Wife Appeals To Nigerian Senate after 100 days in prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by DamnnNiggarr: 8:43pm On Apr 15, 2021
After 100yrs Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community

Famole Surulere community in Share/Oke ward of Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State has been in existence since time immemorial but they have not for once enjoyed the benefit of being connected to the national grid for their electricity supply.

For many of the residents, it has been difficult to rationalize the fact that despite being located at the heart of council area, issue of their electricity has remained a mirage after several attempts which had failed to yield any fruitful result.

The decision to turn to generators for alternative power supply for the people has however turned out to be a very expensive venture considering the expenses on fuel and maintenance of the generators.

Although the largely agrarian community has attracted people from across the country including the Fulani from North and the Igbos from the East among others, its power problem has negatively affected the local economy limiting its potentials to be an economic hub in the local government.

Community head speaks

Speaking on the issue, the Bale (Village Head) of Famole Surulere, Sule Aweda, disclosed that the ancient community has been in existence for almost 100 years and there was never a time the community was connected to the National Grid within the period under review.

According to him, the community often plays host to large number of people from different parts of the country, who participate in its weekly assemblage of market men and women.

In the same vein, Mazi Onwuesi Gabriel from Anambra State, who had spent over two years in the community, told Daily Trust that it has been like hell running his provision store on generators, adding he spends about N50,000 per month.

For a Fulani tailor, Ahmed Isa, the electricity has been a major hindrance to the economic life of the community which already boost of good road and even an MDG provided primary school.

However, the cry of the community may soon be a thing of the past following the intervention of Shaybis Nigeria Limited, a leading solar company in Nigeria.

Why Famole?

The Managing Director of the company, Engr Tunde Yusuf Saliu, told Daily Trust that the choice of Famole Surulere was arrived following the agreement reached with the residents and after careful consideration of the economic potentials of the community which is seriously being hampered by their lack of the electricity.

“This project was started about two weeks ago and by the end of this month [April], we should be through because we want to start distribution of electricity to them this week.

“The cost of the project is N30m with a life span of about 30 years.

“We are giving them what they can’t get even in town at a relative cost of N3,000 per household monthly.

“We are hoping to serve about 30 domestic customers and 7 commercial customers comprising of 43 households.

“Although because of our cost recovery strategy, our cost may be higher as we are not subsidized in any form by anybody. The price will further be reduced as we get more people into the project,” he stressed, adding that this is the fourth project the company would be executing in the state.

The Bale thanked the private company superintending the connection of the community to solar grid and assured that the rural dwellers would stick to the agreement reached with the firm in as much as they are not going to be disappointed.

He added that the community was in dire need of water supply and public schools so as to ensure a sense of belonging, lamenting that social amenities had eluded the village.

He said, “We want to express our joy for the development coming into our community through Shaybis Nigeria Limited.

“We have not for once been connected to the National Grid not to talk to experiencing power supply.”

https://dailytrust.com/after-100yrs-without-electricity-solar-mini-grid-excites-kwara-community

4 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by LikeAking: 9:10pm On Apr 15, 2021
Solar scams by this scament.

Na this solar panel go give the whole village light?

Solar panels for the masses is a big waste for now.

The maintenance is way too high.

Fg should do the right thing for once.

Dia Fada!

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Simplyleo: 9:15pm On Apr 15, 2021
Well, half loaf is better than none, at least this can illuminate a few houses in the community. Of course, if the solar panel on display is what they are talking about, I strongly doubt they can power 3 refrigerators.

But lemme see how some people who lack water for over 30 years will condemn this development.

I understand in some of their communities, na firewood dem dey use as light at night.

4 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Simplyleo: 9:15pm On Apr 15, 2021
LikeAking:

Dia Fada!

Pls which solar panel maintenance is "way too high"?

Stop making comments on what you know nothing about. undecided

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by fergie001: 9:16pm On Apr 15, 2021
LikeAking:

Dia Fada!

Yes, it can power the whole village because it depends on their load demand, and not the size of the village. This must have been put into consideration during the feasibility study of this project.

Again, the maintenance cost of RE systems is far less than Diesel Generators or fossil-driven conventional electricity.

The major issues of RE surrounds their high first capital cost, stochasticity and expertise (in general). I believe this has been taken care of.

I feel there should be more spacing, and the panels on the left should be tilted at an angle equivalent to the latitude of the location. I don't think that's around 6°.....(the pix might just be for illustration purposes, though).

It is a laudable project. This REA/EEP is one area I don't know how to fault the FG on. They are doing well here.

PS: This is a private driven one and still commendable.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by LikeAking: 9:26pm On Apr 15, 2021
fergie001:

Yes, it can power the whole village because it depends on their load demand, and not the size of the village. This must have been put into consideration during the feasibility study of this project.

Again, the maintenance cost of RE systems are far less than Diesel Generators or fossil-driven conventional electricity.

The major issues of RE surrounds their high first capital cost, stochasticity and expertise (in general). I believe this has been taken care of.

I feel there should be more spacing, and the panels on the left should be tilted at an angle equivalent to the latitude of the location. I don't think that's around 6°.....(the pix might just be for illustration though).

It is a laudable project. This REA/EEP is one area I don't know how to blame the FG for, they are doing well here.

God forbid!. That thing you see there cant even power medium family house room well.

Na scam.

Good solar batteries are very expensive and you know how battery they take run down na?

Replacement na whala.

Solar is not an option.

Only the very rich should use it.

India has been installing portable dams for various rural communities.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by LikeAking: 9:30pm On Apr 15, 2021
Simplyleo:

Pls which solar panel maintenance is "way too high"?

Stop making comments on what you know nothing about. undecided

Have you used sole bf?

Forget all the hype?

It requires lots of batteries to run at night. Quality batteries that can power a home are not so cheap.

Naija govt has been installing solar street lights and co for years and it always end in tears.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by SarkinYarki: 9:31pm On Apr 15, 2021
So how is it 100 years ? The story says they have never had electricity ever

4 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by fergie001: 9:35pm On Apr 15, 2021
LikeAking:
God forbid!. That thing you see there cant even power medium family house room well. Na scam.

Good solar batteries are very expensive and you know how battery they take run down na? Replacement na whala.

Solar is not an option. Only the very rich should use it.

India has been installing portable dams for various rural communities.
Not everything is scam. Which battery are you buying or which panels are you getting?

Panels are not determined by their sizes by sight but by their kilowatts peak rating.

That village, we are talking about, you are not aware if they use refrigerators....this is a remote community without grid.

That medium room, what do they use?
You don't know.....moreover, the pix might just be for illustration purposes.

They basically will have just CFLs, radio, maybe TV, Phone and that's all! When you are told a community don't have power for close to a century, that community isn't rural but VERY REMOTE.

The Private Co. will get the good ones, and you will see the difference.

Do you set up dams, where there is no water?

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by LikeAking: 9:36pm On Apr 15, 2021
Simplyleo:
Well, half loaf is better than none, at least this can illuminate a few houses in the community. Of course, if the solar panel on display is what they are talking about, I strongly doubt they can power 3 refrigerators.

But lemme see how some people who lack water for over 30 years will condemn this development.

I understand in some of their communities, na firewood dem dey use as light at night.

A Nigerian dude created a stove that can generate electricity to charge phones while cooking. It converts heat energy to power.

They can covert the heat generated by their firewood to real electricity.

FG no go se this dude.

FG must do the right thing.

7 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by LikeAking: 9:39pm On Apr 15, 2021
fergie001:

Not everything is scam. Which battery are you buying or which panels are you getting?

Panels are not determined by their sizes by sight but by their kilowatts peak rating.

That village, we are talking about, you are not aware if they use refrigerators....this is a remote community without grid.

That medium room, what do they use?
You don't know.....moreover, the pix might just be for illustration purposes.

They basically will have just CFLs, radio, maybe TV, Phone and that's all! When you are told a community don't have power for close to a century, that community isn't rural but VERY REMOTE.

The FG will get the good ones, and you will see the difference.

Do you set up dams, where there is no water?

Guy villiage people have lots of appliances oh.

No underestimate them.

They also have lots of gens like us in the city.

They have Tv's , sound sytem, fride, acs, etc.

Unless their are no youths in that village.

4 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by LikeAking: 9:40pm On Apr 15, 2021
Las las this solar panels na palliative for boys.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by fergie001: 9:41pm On Apr 15, 2021
LikeAking:

Guy villiage people have lots of appliances oh.

No underestimate them.

They also have lots of gens like us in the city.

They have Tv's , sound sytem, fride, acs, etc.

Unless their are no youths in that village.
You don't know what a remote village is.

Ask a moniker here SamuelAnyawu....we served in the same place, though we didn't meet each other. Ask him where he served, you will know there is a difference between village and remote community.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Simplyleo: 9:49pm On Apr 15, 2021
LikeAking:

Have you used sole bf?

Forget all the hype?

It requires lots of batteries to run at night. Quality batteries that can power a home are not so cheap.

Naija govt has been installing solar street lights and co for years and it always end in tears.

Batteries are part of solar panel installation.

Did you see it anywhere in the report that there are no batteries for the installation?

The issue is, after installation, which "way too high" maintenance is required?

And yes, I use solar panel with 4 (200AH each) deep cycle batteries in my house. For the past 2 years plus, I haven't spent a dime on the system.

12 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Tingotoe: 10:08pm On Apr 15, 2021
Simplyleo:

Batteries are part of solar panel installation.

Did you see it anywhere in the report that there are no batteries for the installation?

The issue is, after installation, which "way too high" maintenance is required?

And yes, I use solar panel with 4 (200AH each) deep cycle batteries in my house. For the past 2 years plus, I haven't spent a dime on the system.
Is it possible to connect a 24v solar panel to a 12v battery? Also is it possible to connect a 24v battery to a 12v inverter?
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Simplyleo: 10:49pm On Apr 15, 2021
Tingotoe:
Is it possible to connect a 24v solar panel to a 12v battery? Also is it possible to connect a 24v battery to a 12v inverter?
If you have two 12v batteries, connect them in series, the resulting voltage is 24v and therefore compatible with the 24v solar panel.

A 12v volt inverter has an inbuilt transformer that transforms 12v to 220v ac after the voltage has been inverted to ac. But connecting a 24v battery to the inverter implies an output voltage of 440v which is above the voltage requirements of our home appliances.

12 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by fergie001: 1:55am On Apr 16, 2021
Tingotoe:
Is it possible to connect a 24v solar panel to a 12v battery?
Very possible but it is techno-economically not advisable.
Get another 12V battery & connect in series.

Also is it possible to connect a 24v battery to a 12v inverter?
Get a 24V inverter

2 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by StaffofOrayan(m): 4:07am On Apr 16, 2021
In a very useless state where communities have not seen electricity for 100 years, the residents were fighting over hijab?
what exactly is wrong with our brain??

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by MaryamUmar2020: 4:26am On Apr 16, 2021
Wow
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by wpadmin: 4:29am On Apr 16, 2021
Little advice...

Save money, travel out and start a new life abroad. This people no send you

2 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by meobizy(f): 4:32am On Apr 16, 2021
The government should remain useless when it comes to power generation because I'll abandon this dead zone for the white man's land soon.
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by MrIcredible: 4:34am On Apr 16, 2021
cheesy

Very doomed country.

It will never be well with our rulers

Ordinary electricity... Something that's not even a problem in most of the neighboring countries.

6th largest producer of oil in the world we without a functioning refinery and electricity cry

WE REALLY NEED SEPARATION IN THIS COUNTRY.

1 Like

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by iamoyindamola(m): 4:50am On Apr 16, 2021
This can't power anything na

1 Like

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by punisha: 5:00am On Apr 16, 2021
shameless
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Alejobs: 5:10am On Apr 16, 2021
Solar is the present and the future, i recommend you give solar a try if you face power shortage. I have been living offgrid with my small solar setup since 2018 and i have remained an ambassador of alternative energy since then. I sell portable lithium inverter battery suitable for house light, Tv, laptop, phones etc. It is better to start now than latter. Alternative energy is getting cheaper by the day!

4 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by ZooOga: 5:15am On Apr 16, 2021
LikeAking:

A Nigerian dude created a stove that can generate electricity to charge phones while cooking. It converts heat energy to power.

They can covert the heat generated by their firewood to real electricity.

FG no go se this dude.

FG must do the right thing.

Uganda Babe. GEJ bought a few bought they were looted.

ROSE TWINE THE INNOVATOR & INVENTOR OF ECO STOVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQwaJKmx7_0

Rose Twine has invented a product not only made in Uganda but also a product which will solve many problems that are associated with cooking in many countries in Africa. Cooking is done by women in Africa, for many centuries women have collected wood in all sorts of weather conditions not to mention the weight they carry on their heads while carrying young children on their backs. The Eco Stove powered by solar energy addresses these problems. The Eco Stove is affordable and available right now

Rose Twine: Founder and Innovator of the Eco Stove

https://www.nunnovation.com/2018/04/11/rose-twine-founder-innovator-eco-stove/

2 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by numericalguy(m): 5:16am On Apr 16, 2021
Tingotoe:

LikeAking:

Dia Fada!

These two olodos should stop advertising their ignorance on a public forum.

5 Likes

Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by EmekaA125(m): 5:21am On Apr 16, 2021
This one I'm hearing yoruba names like Ifelodun

Kwara State is in NORTH-CENTRAL and can never be in SW.

Afonja can't eat his cake and have it after losing the war to Alimi.
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by juman(m): 5:21am On Apr 16, 2021
The persistence question is why solar electricity is not common in nigeria?

People should try it.
You dont need government to tell or encourage you to do that.
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by Bossil(m): 5:23am On Apr 16, 2021
100 years, I rest my case.
Re: After 100 Years Without Electricity, Solar Mini Grid Excites Kwara Community by oluwakayode25(m): 5:25am On Apr 16, 2021
Been to a community like this in ogun state while doing this stupid contract job for FMARD..... The village is called gbamu gbamu.... You will think it is located on one of the far corners of the earth... Very faaaaaaar from civilization. The whole community runs on solar and they use LED bulbs in each houses to save energy... I don't know if they use refrigerators or high energy consumption appliances but i can tell you they have light 24/7 as long as they are able to afford payment for whatever unit they require... No electric poles in sight... No boreholes... No infrastructures in sight... No govt hospitals.. I was wowed!

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

AFDB President Akinwunmi Adesina Celebrates 39th Wedding Anniversary / Sultan Of Sokoto, Others Pray For Buhari’s Safe Return... Photos / Ten Lessons From President Buhari’s Democracy Day Speech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.