Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images (36463 Views)

A Visit To An Aquarium In Downtown Toronto / Animals At Kofar Gamji Park, Kaduna: A Visit After Reopening (Photos & Video) / A Visit To Oniru Beach, Victoria Island, Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Nobody: 4:55pm On Apr 16, 2021
Hi guys smiley
So, I just decided to drop this.

One of the very few interesting trips I've made.

Nature is one thing I vibe so well with and there's no doubt Nigeria is a land filled with mother nature's gifts.

There are a lot of hidden places we don't actually know about and as we get to live, we get to see more everyday.

No knowledge is a waste and make everyday in this empty life count.

Enjoy a bit of this bizarre adventure smiley

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Nobody: 4:57pm On Apr 16, 2021
Iyi in Igbo land simply means stream while egbu means kill.

I'll be posting just few photos but, I'll give detailed explanations of how the streams work.
I prefer to call them well(s), cause they were sure dug by people (slaves) during the civil era.

The streams tend to get aggressive at visitors. As such, neighbor communities and villages dread and avoid the area like it's a plague.

Just a slip and you won't live to tell the tale, being an outsider.
Stories like I was told by some of the indigenes have it that the waters will throw you upwards seven times before swallowing you up.

I can't authenticate how true that is but, I sure wouldn't dare try.

Photo1:::: Main entrance into the stream.

https://www.nairaland.com/6509737/visit-iyi-egbu-killer-well#100853230

6 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Nobody: 4:57pm On Apr 16, 2021
MORE PHOTOS

Photo1a:::::: The sleeping palm tree, climbed by one of the indigenes who came to show me around.

Photo1b:::::: The deepest and largest known well.

3 Likes 1 Share

WHO HAS ACCESS TO THE STREAMS??

The main indigenes popularly called the Okiri la Okota's ndi mgboko 1 of umuobiakwa village in Abia state Nigeria.

The stream like they say never swallows the head of it's owner.

When an indigene unknowingly falls into the well, it vomits the person back up.

But, it'll make sure it gives him/her a very rough landing which might break a bone or two.

Photo2:::::: The stream's view from the entrance.

Photo2(i):::::: One of the tall rubber trees in sight.

cc justwise lalasticlala

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 16, 2021
HOW MANY WELL'S ARE THERE IN THE STREAM??

Without any form of sarcasm, I'll say there are over 20 well's in Iyi Egbu.
Most of which have dried up due to the time of the year.

During the civil war, the waters from the well's covered the whole environ preventing the soldiers from knowing the actual location of this wells.
Due to the citizens being very much aware of this locations always run to the streams for safety.

You can say this well's have swallowed enough heads over the past few years.

Photo3::::: Some of the well in photos.

cc lalasticlala justwise

1 Like

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Matheusmartin: 5:55pm On Apr 16, 2021
Following..

1 Like

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 16, 2021
ANY FASCINATING FEATURES??

There're a lot of intriguing things to see. Ranging from the sleeping palm tree, the extremely tall rubber trees, African breadfruits, etc.

During the colonial era, indigenes consumed a type of frog known as gwongwo(might not be the correct spelling).
This special breed of frog was slightly bigger and perhaps tastier than the common frog known to all.

Photo 4::::::: The water that caught my attention.

Photo 5 :::::: Removing my shoes, ready to climb one of the tree's in the well.

lalasticlala justwise

4 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by AwesomeStormy00(m): 6:43pm On Apr 16, 2021
Following...

Suspense is taking forever come complete what you've started joor

7 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by illicit(m): 9:02pm On Apr 16, 2021
Well...
Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Nobody: 5:25pm On Apr 17, 2021
illicit:
Well...
Thank you wink

2 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 17, 2021
I can't seem to understand why the governor of Abia state being an indigene, is planning on channeling sewage systems into the stream.

Being one of the government officials still in power, I must say he has indeed tried his best for his state.

From things I've read and heard both online and offline, I can boldly say that believing everything on social media isn't advisable for any sane mind.

Channeling gutters to the stream, will only lead to the death, extinction and total eradication of this wonderful work of nature.
#okezieikpeazuofabiastate try not to make any irrational decision as regards this.

Photo 6:::::: One of the sewage channel's captured on cam. as one of the indigenes in company of the other began to explain certain things to me.

https://www.nairaland.com/6509737/visit-iyi-egbu-killer-well#100884514

lalasticlala justwise

2 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Nobody: 10:45am On Apr 18, 2021
There was this story I was told of a particular indigene who swore with the stream.

She stole from the market square and was caught. In order not to be termed a thief or labelled guilty, she swore that "the iyi should carry her away if guilty".

This was twenty years ago. Unknown to her, KARMA is indeed real and the gods weren't stupid. Three years after the incident, she went to the stream just to wash her legs. Immediately her legs touched the water, you know the rest like they say, was history.

Spoken words are indeed powerful.

Photo 7::: As I lay me down on one of the sleeping palm trees, my head began to echo just one word.

www-nairaland-com.0.freebasics.com/6509737/visit-iyi-egbu-killer-well?iorg_service_id_internal=1646953538912597">https://https-www-nairaland-com.0.freebasics.com/6509737/visit-iyi-egbu-killer-well?iorg_service_id_internal=1646953538912597%3BAfoK2O_dBm0jj3CW#100897400

cc justwise lalasticlala

4 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Anaerobi(m): 12:01pm On Apr 19, 2021
when I saw the killer well, I thought it was a well filled with dead bodies.

lol... nice adventure though.

8 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by saasala(m): 12:01pm On Apr 19, 2021
Nothing fascinating or special about this.

Absolutely nothing!

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by VirginSearcher(m): 12:02pm On Apr 19, 2021
That babe get yarnsh oo! shocked

49 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by iwuchukwutony(m): 12:02pm On Apr 19, 2021
Things are happening in the world oooh.
Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Ipromote: 12:02pm On Apr 19, 2021
Wow
Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Tunasco4u(m): 12:02pm On Apr 19, 2021
Story for gods.but I like that girl sha, she go sabi spread like flowers

17 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Sunnycliff(m): 12:03pm On Apr 19, 2021
Nice documentary but there's nothing scary about this iyi

1 Like

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by BlessedNuel: 12:03pm On Apr 19, 2021
Better adventure....Kudos to the Op...thanks for sharing

Incase you need Original Honey...don't hesitate to contact O81 O1 66 67 71 the honey is locally sourced and straight from the Bee Farm... Thanks

4 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by OnyeOlokoro(m): 12:04pm On Apr 19, 2021
h

1 Like

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Numerouno94(m): 12:04pm On Apr 19, 2021
Interesting...gringrin

1 Like

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Jamiubond009(m): 12:04pm On Apr 19, 2021
IKPEAZU is working tongue tongue tongue

3 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by SonyaSpence: 12:05pm On Apr 19, 2021
Lala lala sent this to FP on first sight. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Splendor4(m): 12:05pm On Apr 19, 2021
alright

1 Like

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by potbelly(m): 12:05pm On Apr 19, 2021
I wanted to say something... but... never mind... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

@op, what if a non indigene happened to fall into the stream.. what happens?

also why is it called sleeping palm tree... cos i bet you didn't get any sleep when you laid on it... smiley

you also stated when you laid on it, your head just echoed one word which is? smiley

5 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by serverconnect(m): 12:05pm On Apr 19, 2021
Nice one
Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by potbelly(m): 12:06pm On Apr 19, 2021
Werey... cheesy cheesy grin grin

VirginSearcher:

7 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Sunnycliff(m): 12:06pm On Apr 19, 2021
VirginSearcher:

Na dat nyash go kee u for this life

8 Likes

Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by Mindlog: 12:06pm On Apr 19, 2021
Nice one.
Re: A Visit To Iyi Egbu In Abia (The Killer Well) - Images by wizzy199: 12:06pm On Apr 19, 2021
Wow. So this place exist in umuobiakwa? I had no idea.
Nice work op.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

3 Months And 1 Week Waiting For Uk Settlement Visa - Settlement Visa Posts Only / Best Picture-perfect Places To Visit In Nigeria. / Another Truck Has Rammed Into The Ojuelegba Barrier.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.