Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,197 members, 7,780,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:47 PM

Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads (22224 Views)

Herbal Solutions To All Sicknesses And Diseases. Do It Yourself Approach! / This Horrific Instant Skin Bleaching Method Could Kill You (Photos) / Top5 Most Expensive Drugs In The World And Diseases They Cure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Ishilove: 5:30pm On Apr 16, 2021
I saw a sight that traumatised me for most of this morning. A person of indeterminate gender (I was too appalled to look at his/her face) sat on a stool just in front of Ikeja Computer Village, and with the sound of Prospa Ochimana's "Ekwueme" blaring, displayed a growth between his/her legs that took my breath away. Literally. I mean, I held my breath and quickly averted my eyes because this growth lacks proper definition.

I pass through Ikeja daily as it is on my route to my business place and I am confronted with the sight of various beggars waving gangster deformities at passers by like some sort of prized trophy, and for fear of being labeled 'insensitive', I cannot dare complain openly at the unsightliness. In many parts of Lagos, our eyes are assaulted by people displaying stomach turning diseases in traffic and on the roadside, and while I will blame the government for the general economic fuckery and for not providing adequate health care for the hoi polloi, I still feel that people should not be subjected to these troubling sights. There is a particular crippled Hausa boy whose limbs are facing...I cannot describe exactly where his limbs are facing. I think angle 480 or so. He lies down daily in front the Local Government office by the railway in sun and in the rain, dirty, dressed in rags and bawling at the top of his voice "brother, epp me!! Sister, madam, abegi, epp me!!!", and boy can that young man scream. My heart sinks each time I pass by him because his high octave voice pierces something in my soul and his deformities cause my mind to quail in horror.

Amputated limbs, engorged tumours, terrifically swollen bellies, gigantic goitres, elephantiasis of the legs and scrotum, oozing sores and other allied diseases daily assault our eyes and it makes me wonder if the government is not aware that our streets are being overrun by sick people. I believe in a sane country this will not be allowed. The appropriate authorities will sweep them off the streets and haul them to hospitals for proper treatment. Do we even talk about the ones that have turned this to a money making venture. They hire speakers, play "Ekwueme" and wave money bags and graphic images of biological afflictions.

I don't want to be subjected to sights like the one I saw this morning that made me gag, swallow a scream and spit. How long can we allow this on our roads? I dream of the day we can freely walk on the road without being harassed by disease ridden beggars. I dream of the day we will have an accountable government that will not allow it's citizenry rot with sickness. I dream of the day...Nigeria will make sense.

Someone wake me up angry

42 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by illicit(m): 8:47pm On Apr 16, 2021
I saw a beggar with a very big belly one day at cele bustop

I mean skinny body with a very big belly

3 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by lilvicky68(m): 8:53pm On Apr 16, 2021
Almost all the sickness you outlined are still seen on pH roads too..

14 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Ishilove: 9:25pm On Apr 16, 2021
lilvicky68:
Almost all the sickness you outlined are still seen on pH roads too..
My point is why should we be subjected to such horrid sights?

3 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by lilvicky68(m): 9:29pm On Apr 16, 2021
Ishilove:

Sometimes I look from afar..not close range...they even carry megaphones and green offering bags here with customized shirts..

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Ishilove: 9:33pm On Apr 16, 2021
lilvicky68:

Sometimes I look from afar..not close range...they even carry megaphones and green offering bags here with customized shirts..
The ones around me wear one Lord Chosen-looking blue jacket and print posters showing the beggar and his disease. Like a promotional poster.

It's almost like an industry

3 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by AHCB: 9:51pm On Apr 16, 2021
Ishilove:

We live in a system that doesn't work. Even and yes even if a person of authority approach the said individual, I tell you, Lagosians will descend on that person and label him all sort of names...

In Nigeria today, what is wrong is now right and what is right now wrong. It truly is a shame.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by lilvicky68(m): 10:00pm On Apr 16, 2021
Ishilove:

The ones around me wear one Lord Chosen-looking blue jacket and print posters showing the beggar and his disease. Like a promotional poster.

It's almost like an industry
I think they are cashing out of it..they might not give the person suffering any tangible money self..

24 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Ishilove: 10:14pm On Apr 16, 2021
AHCB:
We live in a system that doesn't work. Even and yes even if a person of authority approach the said individual, I tell you, Lagosians will descend on that person and label him all sort of names...

In Nigeria today, what is wrong is now right and what is right and now wrong. It truly is a shame.
There is a popular work of literature that featured this motif. Can you recall?

It's so wrong my dear. How can we keep tolerating this in our society?
Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by armadeo(m): 11:12pm On Apr 16, 2021
@ ishilove. Its normal na.

Once i hear that song " ekwueme" from far i know there is a sight not to behold up ahead and i quietly cross the road.

The boy with funny bent knees ( honestly i cant even fatho how his legs are bent) i see him too around ikeja axis from under bridge to computer village to LGA.

I used to drop previously but now im immune.

10 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Omoluabi16(m): 12:49am On Apr 17, 2021
Ishilove:
I saw a s

Someone wake me up angry
Hmmm. that ekwueme na the anthem. That guy beside the LG gate. It is very sad and ironic cry I simply look away because my pity will not help them. Senators wives, governors wives and their non-existent foundation that should be help to these category of people are doing birthday up and down.
Most of them have lost all hope of treatment, It is that 50 or 100 naira they need to feed. Sadly, their sympathies wear off quick. Lagos is cold oh, and l doubt if anyone will be so faithful to offer them money everyday. The government does not care.

7 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by dfrost: 7:15am On Apr 17, 2021
cheesy grin angry undecided

I'm nostalgic about the situation. If they are starved of funds, they will think twice.

All the money they have been making all these years, can't they use it in treating themselves?

1 Like

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Homogeneositys(f): 7:32am On Apr 17, 2021
The beggars at obalende made me like the song ekueme some years back, very early in the morning , I ended up downloading the song cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by AHCB: 7:49am On Apr 17, 2021
Ishilove:

There is a popular work of literature that featured this motif. Can you recall?
Not at the moment. My mind is still hazy, had a swell Friday night. Lol.
It's so wrong my dear. How can we keep tolerating this in our society?
The society is messed up! Morals, values and the likes have be flushed down the toilet.
Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Matheusmartin: 8:18am On Apr 17, 2021
The Nigerian system neither care nor make provisions for those that are healthy, able and sane let alone those that are not...

Ring road in benin city is where you'll behold similar awful sights...

1 Like

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by iamyemiakins(m): 9:48am On Apr 17, 2021
Homogeneositys:
The beggars at obalende made me like the song ekueme some years back, very early in the morning , I ended up downloading the song cheesy
Hope you dropped something for the beggars for making you like the song. I don't even need to ask you that, once you keep listening to the song for a while you'll be tempted to drop.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Homogeneositys(f): 5:42pm On Apr 17, 2021
Yes, I dropped something
Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Offpoint1: 11:50am On Apr 20, 2021
gfd

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by merits(m): 11:51am On Apr 20, 2021
It's not easy atall. cry
Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by kennybelle: 11:51am On Apr 20, 2021
Just what I was thinking about the other day.

How can one dress up to go to work on a Monday morning and be welcomed with a sight of sick people on the road (gross illness).

It is sickening!

They are everywhere now. Some of the aids even hold and sometimes drag people by their wrist to give something.

The sight is always unpleasant and they're almost everywhere you turn to in Lagos.

The appropriate bodies should please do something about this.

4 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Sijo01(f): 11:54am On Apr 20, 2021
I wonder if their handlers really use the money they generate to take care of them............................They're very common in Benin too. The sight is just to gory embarassed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Legalcriminal: 11:54am On Apr 20, 2021
Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Omihanifa: 11:54am On Apr 20, 2021
There was one I saw on Ibadan - Ife expressway years back. The guy p3nis was long and fat and the scrotal sac was like watermelon shocked sad angry

Till today that image is still in my memory. I couldn't just believe my eyes.

Another one I saw again recently was on dei-dei pedestrian bridge in Abuja. The man sat by the foot of the bridge begging for alms. One of his legs was swollen with pus coming out from it and flies playing around the wound sad

Saw one lady in gwarimpa last week they were using her to beg for alms. The whole of her face is as big as 6kg gas cylinder but the mystery there nah say both the teeth and tongue were all swollen together shocked I still don't know how that woman dey eat because I no see any space where spoon fit pass reach her throat because everywhere was lumped up together

2 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Sonnobax15(m): 11:54am On Apr 20, 2021
shocked

Rheumatism is a very rampant illness among women here in Delta state....I heard it's major cause is the kind of cool of weather that we have here in the south..

But na when I go Suleja for niger state for 2016,na then I know say illness dey pass illness for life

1 Like

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Queenlovely(f): 11:55am On Apr 20, 2021
Half of all these sick people are hausa, can't their Muslim brothers help them?

Acts 16:16-40 Paul was thrown into prison for healing a sick person. Half of those beggers want to remain like that, people hate change.

In Abuja a man with quintuplets goes around begging for arms from innocent Nigeria. I accosted him to give him a job, he ran away and continued begging.

Some things should be left the way they are, the stupid Imam and religious preachers, who sold anti polio propaganda to their people should save them

What can you do for these people? Nothing. Do you want the government to take them off the street?, some things are better left the way it is.

where there are Muslims there must be beggers, challenge me

4 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by gift2xl: 11:55am On Apr 20, 2021
It's horrible, even the Nigeria is sick, no good roads, no steady light with high bills for 2 days light, no proper security. Health center's zero, education sectors zero strike upon strike. But world class best on embezzlement. Asap
Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by jospepper(m): 11:56am On Apr 20, 2021
It is well with us all
Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by luminouz(m): 11:57am On Apr 20, 2021
Some are really suffering and need help. However,some are well, scams

One came to my school and was telling tales of woe and showed us pictures of gory stuffs and by God, did we donate. We donated and I spearheaded the donation efforts to other departments. I felt good that I had done something worthwhile.

Only to see him 2 hours later at one BUKA eating 2 plates of cowmeat and drinking beer. From a guy who said he was so fuqed up he takes liquid food using straws?

Damn

12 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Wealthyone: 11:57am On Apr 20, 2021
You will be shocked to know that these people are dumped/dropped there every morning by their relatives who also picked them in the evening after the day's 'business'. They share the proceed and repeat same the following day. They don't usually use the money given for treatment, no. They feed and do other things w/o getting proper treatment as that is their source of daily income.

However, revelations were made at some point by some sick people whom some NGOs got donations for in traffic. They revealed those people only bought them lunch and gave them T-fare to repeat the same the following day.

The cycle continues as most of them are not even from here......they came for business as we southerners do SARA alot.

7 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by Litmus: 11:57am On Apr 20, 2021
AHCB:

In Nigeria today, what is wrong is now right and what is right now wrong. It truly is a shame.

Nigeria is a Third World Nation; you'll find this in all Third World Nation and far worst in many third world nations. Nigeria like all third world nations require that citizens develop her and a part of doing this is working to alleviate poverty, poverty cannot be eradicated since you’ll always have relative poverty.

Trying to give the impression that Nigeria is this terrible place and that the solution to this is not working to fix things but racist tirades against the people or destroying Nigeria is a copout.

1 Like

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by EmmaxKeys: 11:58am On Apr 20, 2021
It's not the fault of these guys, really. That's probably their means of survival.

Some of them, no hands, one hand, or no legs, etc.

If they are sent off the streets, how would they survive with no help whatsoever from the government?

I keep on saying it, we can't compare Nigeria with a developed country, where beggars cannot be found on the streets.

If we had a compassionate government, this would have ended since. It's just pitiable.

They are doing what we call adaptation in Biology. This is how they can adapt to the economic tides sweeping Nigeria, for their survival.

2 Likes

Re: Sights of Horrific Sicknesses And Diseases On Nigerian Roads by tillaman(m): 11:59am On Apr 20, 2021
angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

462 New COVID-19 Cases, 295 Discharged And 1 Death On July 31 - (4,241 Tested) / Man Commits Suicide Over N250,000 Debt In Niger State / FG Unveils Free Health Services To 100 Million Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.