Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,682 members, 7,805,814 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds (13366 Views)

Manifesto: Tinubu Vows To Allocate More Funds To States, LGs / Asari Dokubo: ₦81 Billion Theft At NDDC Is Mere Pickpocketing / Rochas Okorocha: NDDC Is The Worst Establishment I Have Ever Seen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by oshozondii: 6:37pm On Apr 16, 2021
The Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Senator Godswill Akpabio, has asked for more funds for the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) which he said is broke.

The commission was in the news towards the end of last year over allegations of corruption running into billions.

At a public hearing of the national assembly, Akpabio had accused federal lawmakers of being beneficiaries of corruption.

But speaking on Friday at the NDDC Strategic Capacity Building Workshop in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State capital, Akpabio said the funding system is poor because budgetary provision for the commission is staggered and does not come as and when due.

The minister, who called for an amendment to the laws establishing the agency if need be, said he was determined to leave the NDDC better than how he found it.

“The commission is broke because the funding system is poor. We must leave NDDC better than what we found it. If it means the lawmakers have to tinker with the law, so be it” he said.

Akpabio cited corruption, weak political and institutional governance, transparency and accountability in performance information, and lack of proper consultation and engagement with the communities and State Governments among others as challenges plaguing the commission.

“Corruption is one of the greatest problems of the Nigerian society and it also finds its ugly and devastating effects in all sectors of the polity including the Niger Delta Development Commission.

“The level of corruption engulfed all the sectors including government, parastatals, ministries, government officials and community leaders even the youth leaders and NDDC was not left out in the act.

“Weak political and institutional governance in the Niger Delta has led to the misuse of public resources, poor service delivery, and the poor enforcement, of the law.

“The consequence has been the lingering restiveness, the breakdown of trust, abuse and misuse of power between officials and the communities, and embezzlement and attendant violence.

“The current funding patterns and budgeting processes must embrace these best practices, in order to achieve the best we can, while asking for more funding to do even more sustainable projects and programmes,” he said.

In his welcome address, the Interim Administrator/Chief Executive Officer of the commission, Mr Effiong Akwa, said the retreat was in furtherance of consultation with stakeholders of the commission for the speedy development of the region.

Akwa, who stated that NDDC was done with its unsavoury past, said continuous consultation and collaboration for effective development was now the focus of the commission.

He called on stakeholders of the commission and Niger Delta to join hands and work together for the benefit of the the people.

“We are here today in furtherance of our ongoing consultations with internal and stakeholders of the NDDC to distil commonalities among stakeholders for speedy development of our beloved Niger Delta region.”

“The NDDC is born again. Contrary to its unsavoury past ways, the core of our new personae is continual consultations and collaboration with stakeholders to co-create commonalities for effective development of the Niger Delta.

“I beckon on all stakeholders of the NDDC and the Niger Delta, please come and let us reason together. Please come, let us work together to create common way forward for the benefit of our people,” he stated.

https://dailytrust.com/akpabio-nddc-is-broke-we-need-more-funds

1 Share

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by duduade: 6:38pm On Apr 16, 2021

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by limeta(f): 6:43pm On Apr 16, 2021
Spend something
Buy your own money printing machine

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by Nobody: 6:53pm On Apr 16, 2021
The jumbo salaries that politicians are collecting are the reasons Nigeria is having a cash crunch.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2021
I'm only happy because we are alumni of the same alma mater!

Akpabio my main man cool

2 Likes

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by NaijaMutant(f): 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2021
NDDC Akpabio is broke and needs more funds grin

Everybody is cashing out under Buhari the kwarruption pighter grin

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by KingOdart(m): 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2021
Ask them to account for the previous funds and they will list excuses

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by NaijaMutant(f): 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2021
Cash out things grin

He needs to restock his cash base for 2023 undecided

5 Likes

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2021
The country is broke. The whole system is messed up. That is what happens when block heads take the corridors of where money needs to be utilized.

Keep printing naira to mask the true situation of things.

13 Likes

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by BruncleZuma: 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2021
grin grin

We wonder why this is so?!

grin grin
Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by nairalee(m): 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2021
Need more funds to loot? I pity this nation. If u think the problem is only from the top I weep for u. Just gather as a community and select a leader and agitate for funds. When it arrives you'll now realize that Nigerians are intristically corrupt and heartless. Shioor

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by Officialgarri: 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2021
Where is Pondei? We need another account of your spendings and earnings angry

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by IvarDboneless: 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2021
Ee nor fit better for this people ooh I swear...

1 Like

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by DuBLINGreenb(m): 7:03pm On Apr 16, 2021
Tamuno ehhhh!

I am from the Nigerdelta as in the first place oil was found in Nigeria is where my mother is from, where my father is from we have more than 4 oil wells.

Dear brothers and sisters 1. NDDC scholarship I no see, one nddc rice I no chop, one happy birthday nddc no ever send me, how body even once nddc no ask me, work dem no give me, nothing nddc done ever do for us as a people or as a community and now you are telling us you are broke when we haven't seen what you've used all the money you had for except paying yourselves palliatives which amounted to billions of naira this Akpabio should be hung by the neck until he be dead.

Can you believe that it was WHO (world health organisation) that dug bore hole for us. When I heard it on radio my brothers and sisters I cried, we who live in between so much wealth live in so much squalor that we need aid agencies to dig borehole for us.

It will never be well with Godswill Akpabio and everyone else who have ever headed NDDC, who have ever looted from NDDc who have ever stolen from the people of the Niger Delta every one who have ever short changed us you will know no peace from Buhari to the very least of you.

We suffer the oil pollution in our rivers and ocean we can no longer fish, we suffer the air pollution this black sooth every morning covers everything, the soil is polluted as well so nothing grows, we are fit to suffer all these but not fit to work for NDDC, shell, chevron, NNPc or to be appointed by Government, we have the highest unemployment rates, the most expensive cost of living, we are not fit to own oil wells or oil blocks, who we offend?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by Omoslim26: 7:04pm On Apr 16, 2021
Bloody thief.las las It is that more fund that will kill you.

7 Likes

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by Nobody: 7:04pm On Apr 16, 2021
grin. Oga wait nnaa ?

6 Likes

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by rottable(m): 7:04pm On Apr 16, 2021
How much will fg print now

2 Likes

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by janedonez(m): 7:04pm On Apr 16, 2021
What about the unaccounted billions that Prof Nunieh spoke of?

1 Like

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by Splendor4(m): 7:04pm On Apr 16, 2021
they're broke.. years later u will hear stories that they embezzled like 5 billion.. abeg make una tell us how the money finish eh
Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by remotecontrol: 7:04pm On Apr 16, 2021
Lol, broke because una chop the money finish
Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by shugaboy6102(m): 7:04pm On Apr 16, 2021
See this criminal again
Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by Kingcalls: 7:05pm On Apr 16, 2021
Oh my goodness grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by espn(m): 7:05pm On Apr 16, 2021
Hahahahha
Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by Analyst7: 7:05pm On Apr 16, 2021
Joysticks:
The jumbo salaries that politicians are collecting are the reasons Nigeria is having a cash crunch.

People will breathe with mere slashing it to half but they would never do that ...God punish IBB
Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:05pm On Apr 16, 2021
The Excess Crude Account was looted dry.
foreign reserves drawn down.
Federation Account, emptied.
We made the highest revenue in the history of our nation, But they still borrowed money to pay salaries!!!
And the economy was set on an irreversible path to recession.

NEVER AGAIN our nation will this country be unfortunate.

Nigeria will be great again.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by OfficialGaGa(m): 7:05pm On Apr 16, 2021
Oleburuku...

1 Like

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by Sammy07: 7:05pm On Apr 16, 2021
THIEVES
Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by tuoyoojo(m): 7:05pm On Apr 16, 2021
Them don move all the money

Or
should be off the mic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akpabio: NDDC Is Broke, We Need More Funds by nairalee(m): 7:05pm On Apr 16, 2021
Please someone should ask them the full meaning of NDDC. I'm sure they don't know. The D stands for Development. They've never developed anything in the Niger Delta apart from their pockets. I think it's even better to scrap the commission.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Dictator Is Coming To Fix Nigeria - Pastor Bakare / Supreme Court Upholds Umahi's Election As Ebonyi Governor / APC NWC Meeting: Deputy National Chairman, Kyari Presiding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.