Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,759 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere (62368 Views)

Emami Presents Fake Ologbotsere Insignias To Olu Of Warri / Olu Of Warri Installs Chief Oma Eyewuoma As New Ologbotsere In Warri Kingdom / Nobody Can Remove Ayiri Emami, Ologbotsere Is A Lifetime Title – Eyengho (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Gbajure(m): 9:11am On Apr 17, 2021
ogbonti:

The Itsekiri tribe may have yoruba words but you forget that the Ruling house of Warri which all Itsekiris proudly accept and gave the legitimacy to rule over them for centuries is 90% Benin

It was Prince Ginuwa, the Elsest son of Oba Olua and the sons of 70 Benin Chiefs that started the Warri Kingdom

That is why you have Chieftaincy titles in Warri like Obazuaye, Ologbotsere, Iyatsere (Iyase) Ezomo, Uwangue, etc - These are Benin titles so you can not remove the Warri crown from deep Benin roots and any attempt to impose yorubas mix to it waters down the sophistication of the tradition and culture of Oluship in Warri grin

But the Bini ruling house, I meant just the ruling house, are Yoruba, even the name Ọba. They are the descendants of Eweka the son of Oranmiyan.

It is not even an argument that before Oranmiyan arrival, it was Ogiso dynasty ruling over the Edo land and the words Ọba or Bini were never in the vocabulary. These are Yoruba words imported to Edo land by Prince Oranmiyan.

7 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by maxzzo1(m): 9:11am On Apr 17, 2021
Did Emiko qualify? If yes let him be but if no let d rules be cos bending d rules Will spell doom in future

2 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Vinnie2000(m): 9:13am On Apr 17, 2021
Prechboy:
So na so itsekiri people take turn the title "olu of itsekiri" to olu of warri. As far as warri is concerned, there's nothing like olu of warri. It is olu of itsekiri. Let them keep deceiving themselves by adding warri to the title

It was done many years ago..In 1952..The Olu then was called Olu of Itsekiri but He started calling himself, Olu of Warri..

Ijaws and Urhobos of Warri kicked against this but the Itsekiris took d case to Court and with some Political influence..(They had clout in Obafemi Awolowo's Action Group),,they won d case..

N that it is how Their ruler came to b known as Olu of Warri..

Funny enough,, in Warri town, u hardly see Dem or hear dier language being spoken..

But Urhobo n Ijaw is spoken in d Warri town n extension towns e.g Effurun, Ekpan, Jeddo,etc..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by ogbonti: 9:13am On Apr 17, 2021
Daum:

I believe the itsekiris should do their thing. The only problem with removing that edict is that, the succession will now be thrown to so many families. So many from the Ginuwa ruling house will be able to contest the throne. That is the only problem

exactly - those fronting the coronation of Tsola do not mean well for the Kingdom

Prince Tsola was born to then Prince Godwin Toritseju Emiko (who later became Ogiame Atuwatse) in 1984. The law disqualifying Tsola has existed for centuries but was only officially documented in the law of old Bendel State in 1979 - That is 5 years before Prince Tsola was born. So his father, Atuwatse II who read LL.B and LL.M in London UK, a very smart lawyer knew what he was getting into when he got married to a yoruba woman and had kids by her. He knew his direct offspring will not be King after him YET - he went ahead and did what he wanted. Why are we now burdened by this whole mess? grin

8 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by OkoNDOoBo: 9:13am On Apr 17, 2021
Daum:

Point of correction
Oronmiyan could not stay in Benin because he never toppled it. It was Oba Ewedo a great grandson of Oronmiyan who successfully had a deal with the Ogianmen.

Oronmiyan left Benin in anger. Vexation because he was promised soft landing by the Uzama. Since he could not get he left Benin in anger. Yes Oronmiyan had a Yoruba blood in him obviously from his mother side.

We can keep the conversation on Oronmiyan
even the present oba of benin ewuare2 confirmed oromiyan as first oba of benin but it was a short period before his first son took over from him
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/pomp-pageantry-as-bini-kingdom-crowns-oba-ewuare-ii/

3 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Oyiboman69: 9:14am On Apr 17, 2021
[quote author=Validated post=100864860]
Because Jega enthroned a d...[/quote
]

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by ogbonti: 9:15am On Apr 17, 2021
Gbajure:

But the Bini ruling house, I meant just the ruling house, are Yoruba, even the name Ọba. They are the descendants of Eweka the son of Oranmiyan.

It is not even an argument that before Oranmiyan arrival, it was Ogiso dynasty ruling over the Edo land and the words Ọba or Bini were never in the vocabulary. These are Yoruba words imported to Edo land by Prince Oranmiyan.

And Oduduwa is an Arab figitive... why not call his Sudanese or Saudi siblings to come rule over the yoruba nation of today since you dont want to stop spewing nonsensicals here

4 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by esere826: 9:15am On Apr 17, 2021
The Oba of Benin is wise enough not to advice Emami about changing the rules in the middle of the game.
It's like his throne. There is a rule for it. It is passed from father to first son. It's not done the Yoruba or Fulani way were kings are chosen from princes.

1 Like

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Owologbo(m): 9:18am On Apr 17, 2021

1 Like

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Oyiboman69: 9:19am On Apr 17, 2021
scholes0:
Itsekiris and Yorubas are inseparable... We both have ifa, ogun and umalokun. Benins have some too but got it from us.

Besides, Itsekiris don't understand BINI Language...

Come in Itsekiri is WA... What is it in yours?
Cloth in Itsekiri is ASHO... what is it in yours?
Family is EBI while people is ARA... What is it in Bini?
Food is Oje, Soup is Obe, Fish is Eja, Water is Omi, Oil is Ekpo, Medicine/20/War/Talisman is Ogun, Dance is Jo.... I can go on forever.

Thank ORITSE for English and pidgin that Oyibos brought, Itsekiris would have been like Fish out of water in Benin city.... while they would blend in perfectly anywhere in Coastal Yorubaland.... Nigeria is the only place where some people will think they have the right to 'claim' others who don't even understand their language as if those ppl are a conquered or servile race, and yet everyone is busy complaining about Fulanis while doing the very same things and worse in their backyards..... No wonder the whole country is upside down.
stop saying what you know nothing about

1 Like

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Gbajure(m): 9:21am On Apr 17, 2021
Daum:

I do not agree Eweka was a Yoruba man. I said Oronmiyan had Yoruba blood in him via his mother. I stressed that part.

For argument sake let's agree that only Oronmiyan mother is Yoruba. And leave the Odùduwà part for other time. Then Eweka too has Yoruba blood then thru his father Oranmiyan. Let call those from Eweka with Yoruba blood via their ancestral mother Binis and the pure Edo people as Edos.

And since only those Binis can become Oba, then the Bini monarchy is part Yoruba then.

And if those are the same people that instituted Warri throne, it also is part Yoruba. I hope u get my point.

2 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by tempex88(m): 9:21am On Apr 17, 2021
zeusdgrt:

Keep deceiving urself

Is Benin not part of Oduduwa?
Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Daum: 9:21am On Apr 17, 2021
OkoNDOoBo:
even the present oba of benin ewuare2 confirmed oromiyan as first oba of benin but it was a short period before his first son took over from him
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/pomp-pageantry-as-bini-kingdom-crowns-oba-ewuare-ii/

You see you guys always skip the main points. I never said anything about Oronmiyan being the first Oba or not. I said he left in anger because he couldn't rule. He was practically powerless. The Edions who brought him from Ife, didn't give him power. Power was with the Ogiamen.

You Yoruba have painted a history in your head like Oronmiyan came in a war horse with his army and invaded benin and conquered it. Then he put his son to rule over Benin... Oronmiyan was brought to Benin by the Edions. He could not even defeat the Ogiamen. He left in anger.... The people he met didn't even understand him. So this whole idea of him being conqueror in Benjn and Benin people being Yoruba... I don't know where those lies come from

1 Like

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Oyiboman69: 9:23am On Apr 17, 2021
scholes0:

They are 97% Yoruba and 3% Benin.
PeriooodT
you're right... The only affiliation with the binis is the kingship and that's what is controlling the itsekiri people... you can see that your percentage distribution is invalid. I'm an itsekiri man

1 Like

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Asiri1991: 9:25am On Apr 17, 2021
Why is history not compulsory in our schools? Nigeria is gone to the dogs.

3 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Daum: 9:25am On Apr 17, 2021
Gbajure:

For argument sake let's agree that only Oronmiyan mother is Yoruba. And leave the Odùduwà part for other time. Then Eweka too has Yoruba blood then thru his father Oranmiyan. Let call those from Eweka with Yoruba blood via their ancestral mother Binis and the pure Edo people as Edos.

And since only those Binis can become Oba, then the Bini monarchy is part Yoruba then.

And if those are the same people that instituted Warri throne, it also is part Yoruba. I hope u get my point.

LOL.. Now I see
You don't even know the different between bini and Edo. Now I see why you're confusing yourself.....lol

A Benin man like you would say doesn't call himself Benin but he calls himself Edo. The title of the Oba of Benin is Omo N'oba Nedo....

5 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by christopheojo(m): 9:25am On Apr 17, 2021
UGBE634:
The truth is that you are so ignorant and your ignorance stinks. this your ignorance is propelled by the fact that you guys don't travel outside your region and it is a mess for you guys, these are some of the reasons the igbos will always be a better group when compared to the Yoruba. The fact is the land and the people oronmiyan called binis do not refer to themselves as Binis in our native tongue but Edo. hence the need to educate you that Edos and Binis are one and the same thing. the name Benins are only used by the Benins when they are speaking in English for emphasis so you know the group they are talking about. it's just like different names for the same group . example omo oduduwa and Yoruba, easily one would know you are referring to the yorubas. The yorubas and the Benins do not have any relationship outside the monarchy. we are different people linguistically, "if I speak my language as an Edo(bini) whatever you call it and you hear I go die". the Bini monarchy is direct primogeniture from father to son, it is not adulterated and cheap like some classless Yoruba stool. I ordinarily would not have replied you but I have seen some level of stark ignorance under the sun among the yorubas about my people and I wish to correct it
Thank you for schooling him.....He is still a child that ate bunch of vegetables and called it meat

5 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by mendelian(m): 9:25am On Apr 17, 2021
Gbajure:

What is the meaning of Ogiso? Find the meaning b4 starting posting rubbish about not believing in the sky mythology.

And Ooni visiting Benin b4 coronation? Maybe u meant to say Ọba of Bini!

Think about this first. Who changed the name of the people from Edo to Bini a Yoruba word and Ogiso to Ọba, another Yoruba word.

Normally I don't reply comment here.

Ogiso is King of the Sky.
Ogiamen is king of the water...

I'm asking u what is the meaning of Oba in English if u say the Oba is a yoruba word ??

4 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Oyiboman69: 9:26am On Apr 17, 2021
urbobo20:
i think the same method was used to select the late emiko insted of ogiame 11 son why change the rule in the mindle of a game
power resides where the people believed it resides...its a trick,a very small man can cast a very large shadow... Lord varys... GOT

3 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Artisticity1: 9:26am On Apr 17, 2021
please check it out for me. that's my first song https://audiomack.com/song/joseph-jewel/dont-go
Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Owologbo(m): 9:27am On Apr 17, 2021
Juliusmalema:

I will never support evil and as such the article 4 is a useless one.....

Itshekiri are by extension Yorubas, So it makes no sense, I mean no sense how the son of a Yoruba woman won't become king.

The 1979 edict is a daylight robbery and shouldn't stand.

The Benin kingdom itself is a yoruboid kingdom ( Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor an Itshekiri man affirmed this)...

Prince Tsola should be crowned the Olu of Warri.

You cannot deny the real owners of the kingdom by extension their right to also rule their land.

The Article 4 should be burnt to ashes....It has outlived it's usefulness and reason it was created.

If some lies, revisionist are not nipped to the mud, they might end up extending the local government they want to control in their expansionist agenda upto Nine..

I believe the Yoruba by extension, are itshekiri.
Attachee Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Gbajure(m): 9:28am On Apr 17, 2021
UGBE634:
I can see you are not willing to learn until you accept and shield your ignorance aside that Edos and Binis are one and the same thing then we can continue

Now I get your point.
The reason I was stressing that sliver of point, is that only the descendants of Oranmiyan can become Oba of Benin.
Even Odùduwà met autonomous groups in Ile Ife but we are now all call Yorubas and not Ọmọ Odùduwà and Ọmọ Obatala.
Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by candygist: 9:31am On Apr 17, 2021
Havertz10:
Ayeri, who gave agbero power

Just like Tunubu.
Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Gbajure(m): 9:32am On Apr 17, 2021
Daum:

The title of the Oba of Benin is Omo N'oba Nedo....

But was it like that before Oranmiyan from Ilé Ife arrived? Were they ever called Binis?
Was the king title ever Ọmọ Noba?
Wasn't it Ogiso?
Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Owologbo(m): 9:32am On Apr 17, 2021
PatriotExact:
Wetin yeloba dey do for my South South?
The yorubas are our children.
There's no land to contain us all, so we decided to join hand and resources to send them to the west because they are the least trusted group of people.

5 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Daum: 9:34am On Apr 17, 2021
Gbajure:

Now I get your point.
The reason I was stressing that sliver of point, is that only the descendants of Oranmiyan can become Oba of Benin.
Even Odùduwà met autonomous groups in Ile Ife but we are now all call Yorubas and not Ọmọ Odùduwà and Ọmọ Obatala.

We don't call ourselves omo Eweka or omo oduduwa. Hope you understand. Because the monarchy in Benin did not bring us to our existence. It is the collective will of the edo people that gave birth to the monarchy. The power of the Benin monarchy is in the hand of the Edo people and Osagioduwa.

The name of the Edo land you see is called igodomigodo. A Benin man would say he is an Ovbi'edo. Son of the soil...

3 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Owologbo(m): 9:34am On Apr 17, 2021
scholes0:
Itsekiris and Yorubas are inseparable... We both have ifa, ogun and umalokun. Benins have some too but got it from us.

Besides, Itsekiris don't understand BINI Language...

Come in Itsekiri is WA... What is it in yours?
Cloth in Itsekiri is ASHO... what is it in yours?
Family is EBI while people is ARA... What is it in Bini?
Food is Oje, Soup is Obe, Fish is Eja, Water is Omi, Oil is Ekpo, Medicine/20/War/Talisman is Ogun, Dance is Jo.... I can go on forever.

Thank ORITSE for English and pidgin that Oyibos brought, Itsekiris would have been like Fish out of water in Benin city.... while they would blend in perfectly anywhere in Coastal Yorubaland.... Nigeria is the only place where some people will think they have the right to 'claim' others who don't even understand their language as if those ppl are a conquered or servile race, and yet everyone is busy complaining about Fulanis while doing the very same things and worse in their backyards..... No wonder the whole country is upside down.
No, the Itsekiri are not Yorubas.
Rather, Yorubas are Itsekiri.
Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by scholes0(m): 9:37am On Apr 17, 2021
Owologbo:

No, the Itsekiri are not Yorubas.
Rather, Yorubas are Itsekiri.

All na semantics and unnecessary ping pong.

If you like say Yorubas are Itsekiri, if you like say Itsekiris are Yoruba, nothing spoil. we own ourselves. They are welcome on OUR LAND for FREE They can claim all 50 million of us... we dey for them!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by TeraHawks: 9:38am On Apr 17, 2021
I agree with your position on overturning the rule to let the son of a Yoruba woman take his rightful throne.

However, you realize the decision to overturn should have been agreed upon before this situation came up. It would not look good that the rules of a football game are changed during play to give a team an advantage. So, I would say the installation of the new Olu is held off until this all important meeting is held and the rule changed with the full agreement of all parties. Otherwise, the Olu designate is dropped for someone who meets all the rules. Fairness is very critical in matters like this.

Lastly, the Yoruba's are an offshoot of the Bini and not the other way round. You can do your research on this.

Juliusmalema:

I will never support evil and as such the article 4 is a useless one.....

Itshekiri are by extension Yorubas, So it makes no sense, I mean no sense how the son of a Yoruba woman won't become king.

The 1979 edict is a daylight robbery and shouldn't stand.

The Benin kingdom itself is a yoruboid kingdom ( Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor an Itshekiri man affirmed this)...

Prince Tsola should be crowned the Olu of Warri.

You cannot deny the real owners of the kingdom by extension their right to also rule their land.

The Article 4 should be burnt to ashes....It has outlived it's usefulness and reason it was created.

If some lies, revisionist are not nipped to the mud, they might end up extending the local government they want to control in their expansionist agenda upto Nine..

5 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Gbajure(m): 9:39am On Apr 17, 2021
Daum:

You see you guys always skip the main points. I never said anything about Oronmiyan being the first Oba or not. I said he left in anger because he couldn't rule. He was practically powerless. The Edions who brought him from Ife, didn't give him power. Power was with the Ogiamen.

You Yoruba have painted a history in your head like Oronmiyan came in a war horse with his army and invaded benin and conquered it. Then he put his son to rule over Benin... Oronmiyan was brought to Benin by the Edions. He could not even defeat the Ogiamen. He left in anger.... The people he met didn't even understand him. So this whole idea of him being conqueror in Benjn and Benin people being Yoruba... I don't know where those lies come from

Only those ignorant of history will said that Oranmiyan conquered Edo land. He was invited. And he left in frustration and anger with the Ogiamme antagonism. But he left his son Eweka for a good reason. And even tough the Ogiamme first refused to let Eweka ruled eventually he prevailed and become the arguably second Ona of Benin.

To digress a bit, don't u think the Ife people will know more about Oranmiyan, who was born and raised there, than anyone else?

Oranmiyan is not a son of Odùduwà but a grandson. Not by any chance a first born. But due to his warrior nature as Ifá revealed he was allowed to go with the Edions by Odùduwà. Who will trust his first born, the Adimula in waiting to travel that far with strangers?

4 Likes

Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by loswhite(m): 9:39am On Apr 17, 2021
ogbonti:

shorrop, Ogiame Ikenwoli's mother was not not yoruba, that was a strong reason why he became Olu in 2015.I know alot about the Warri Kingdom.

The mother of late Ogiame Atuwatse II - the father of Prince Tsola was a Bini woman
go back and read his post then understand before commenting...lol between what is shorrop?
Re: Warri Succession Crisis: Oba Of Benin Wades In, Meets Ologbotsere by Daum: 9:39am On Apr 17, 2021
Gbajure:

But was it like that before Oranmiyan from Ilé Ife arrived? Were they ever called Binis?
Was the king title ever Ọmọ Noba?
Wasn't it Ogiso?

It is the itsekiris that told the Portuguese that we are Binis... Oromiyan coming to Benin didn't make us become Benins. In fact we call Benin city Edo. A man in auchi will tell you he is traveling to Edo(benin). The urhobo man will call Benin (AKA)... The igbos would say it's idu.

So before Oromiyan came, the rulers of Edo were called Ogiso. After he came the title changed to what it is now. The title was given to Eweka by the Benin people.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (59) (Reply)

Oba Aruna Ishola: "Any Oba Who Sees Me Will Die" / Ooni, Enitan Ogunwusi, Returns From The Forest With The Traditional Crown / In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.