Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? (14969 Views)

My Friend Faces Dilemmas Over A Partner's Child Adoption. / I Want To Give My Daughter Up For Adoption / Is Foreign Child Adoption Possible For Africans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Lostchild(m): 11:38pm On Apr 20, 2021
9jakool:

So, the same God that cares about the plights of orphans and children with no homes doesn't want people to adopt?

People adopt children all the time in Nigeria so I don't know what you are talking about. Thinking like this just adds to the stigma that infertile people face.

I never said God did not want people to adopt.
Believe me when I say Nigerians are not open to adoption. Even the barrens Nigerians are looking unto God to give them children. I know what I am talking about.

Here is my previous answer
Nigerians are the most spiritually Godly believing nation on earth, so many of those who are in possition to adopt will seek help from God.

Likewise: Nigerians don't adopt because they dont buy the idea of adoption but there are still some who still do adopt not because of barreness but they do it for reasons known to them

Don't forget that the person who opens this thread is very much concern that Nigerians are not open to adoption. Why?

I repeat: Nigerians don't adopt because no one want to waste their effort on something that's not theirs

I repeat again: Nigerians don't adopt because they do not care

I repeat once more: The barrens Nigerians don't adopt because they believe in God. Even if their faith in God failed them, they will die childless

There are some who still go out to adopt and that is good thing.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Lostchild(m): 11:47pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

Same reason many Nigerians don't bother about any form of insurance also.

Majority of Nigerians dont even know what they call insurance

Believe me when I say Nigerians are not open to adoption. Even the barrens Nigerians are looking unto God to give them children. I know what I am talking about.

Here is my previous answer
Nigerians are the most spiritually Godly believing nation on earth, so many of those barren women/men, who are in possition to adopt will seek help from God.

Likewise: Nigerians don't adopt because they dont buy the idea of adoption but there are still some who still do adopt not because of barreness but they do it for reasons known to them

I repeat: Nigerians don't adopt because no one want to waste their effort on something that's not theirs

I repeat again: Nigerians don't adopt because they do not care

I repeat once more: The barrens Nigerians don't adopt because they believe in God. Even if their trust in God failed them, they will die childless

There are some who still go out to adopt which is ok. But as for me, I can never adopt because that child can betray me and left me with pain and regret

I cant even marry a single mother.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by frozen70(f): 12:35am On Apr 21, 2021
PrimadonnaO:
Please, folks in the house, what's the deal, really?

Why are many Nigerians seemingly averse to the option of adopting kids? Even when they've been waiting years to have kids of their own biologically?

Personally, I seem to be overcome with the idea of adoption. I'd love to have just one child biologically, then adopt one or two others.

But why is it a big deal in Nigeria?

I know the process is filled with lots of protocol. But is that such a deterrent?

Is it expensive, financially?

Is it really hard to love a child that's not your flesh and blood?

The problem are the men not the women

When a man knows he is impotent he hides it and still believe he can pregnant a woman and time will be passing

When the woman brings up the issue of adoption because of pride and ego he will turn it down

When he is now getting old he will marry a girl who already got pregnant and the family are now looking for where to push her into

By then it will be late for the woman to become pregnant and at last she doesn't have her own baby while the second wife will keep going out to get pregnant and impose it on the man of which his family knows but will keep blind eyes

But once a women suspects the fault is from her, she will try her best medically and if nothing comes out, she will suggest adopting a child most times the man turns it down because he can't imagine adopting a child when he has a functional dick

To me there is nothing wrong in adopting because you are giving life to an innocent child who deserves to live

Even God doesn't discriminate

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by calcal: 12:49am On Apr 21, 2021
Introducing bastard to the family, okay ooo!
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by HRMK: 4:29am On Apr 21, 2021
bcs blood is thicker than water!bcs its unafrican!!
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by wink2015(m): 8:22am On Apr 21, 2021
UNNECESSARY INCONVENCIENCES when one can biologically produced kids of ones own.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by averageguy(m): 8:54am On Apr 21, 2021
PrimadonnaO:
Please, folks in the house, what's the deal, really?

Why are many Nigerians seemingly averse to the option of adopting kids? Even when they've been waiting years to have kids of their own biologically?

Personally, I seem to be overcome with the idea of adoption. I'd love to have just one child biologically, then adopt one or two others.

But why is it a big deal in Nigeria?

I know the process is filled with lots of protocol. But is that such a deterrent?

Is it expensive, financially?

Is it really hard to love a child that's not your flesh and blood?

I think part of the answer to your question here is found in your desire to have one child of your own as you explained here too.

We agree on the benefits of adopting a child but you still have the desire to have yours, which is totally fine. As someone with AS genotype, I've always wondered why I have to worry about a potential spouse's genotype when we could adopt all the way but I do understand that idea is not popular among many.

At the end, to a large extent, I think we're products of our cultures and the beliefs around us, regardless of how much we try to make ourselves believe we are unique and totally think for ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 12:52pm On Apr 21, 2021
averageguy:

I think part of the answer to your question here is found in your desire to have one child of your own as you explained here too.

We agree on the benefits of adopting a child but you still have the desire to have yours, which is totally fine. As someone with AS genotype, I've always wondered why I have to worry about a potential spouse's genotype when we could adopt all the way but I do understand that idea is not popular among many.

At the end, to a large extent, I think we're products of our cultures and the beliefs around us, regardless of how much we try to make ourselves believe we are unique and totally think for ourselves.

Very true.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by harmony75: 12:02pm On Apr 24, 2021
in Nigeria and Africa as whole we descrimnate alot, after 3yrs as marrieds why not adopt?! no need wasting time be of help to someone that will end up as yours! do it in a proper way by adopting not back door stealing, kidnapping it does not cost much even by government!
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by stacyadams: 2:27pm On Apr 24, 2021
BE like I go give joy belle make we born put am for adoption,, this buhari time no be here.....make I call am first
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by NeuroToby(m): 5:03pm On Nov 04, 2022
Thanks to everyone who has contributed insightfully to this thread, I hope I didn't come too late to this honorable party... angry

So, this same thought has been on my head for a while and it was the question (why is adoption not common in Nigeria) that I typed on google that led me here.

First of all, I have taken time to generally study statistics and I can boldly say that, apart from the general economic and political problems that we have in Nigeria, we may not do well as a people because overpopulation will smother us beyond resuscitation.
China and India are learning their lesson the hard way and Nigeria is just a hair-diameter close to the brink of worse economic jeopardy, adding the fact that Nigeria is not a producing country like China (because this is part of what is helping them).

With our present population, we have fire in our bossom already, because according to various statistical sources, Nigeria has the highest homeless population in the whole world. (a whooping 13% of our country, more than 24M people literally liter streets)
Look at the present rate of unemployment...
Look at poverty level...
Look at crime rate...

Now, according to statistics again, by 2050, our population will double, meaning that people between 0 and 40 will make up at least 60% to 70% of our national population... The implication is that if nothing is done to curb this mayhem called overpopulation, no matter who become president, we will not survive what is to come.
If you look at all these stats and you still think that giving birth to 3 or 4 children is a form of achievement, please, think again!!!
If 4 children is your target, have one or two biologically (to prove to village people that they didn't succeed) and then adopt one or two more. Again, I can't tell you what to do since we don't share the same ideology. But, honestly, there are beautiful children out there who have the capacity to succeed, provided they have a nice meal each day, a loving family to live with and nothing-out-of-the-ordinary kind of education.
But our cultural and religious sentiments will not allow us see it!

Now, am I trying to heap the blame of our socioeconomic condition on people who believe that one of the things they are on earth to do is to populate the earth?
Absolutely not!
My whole point is that until we start seeing things from the broader perspective, rather than having a very myopic view of life, we will not get better as a people.

I challenge everyone to go and look at the population growth rate of countries that we call advanced, check when they became a country and now compare it with our 62-year old country. If we are not sitting on a time bomb, I wonder what else this is called.

NB: I am fully Yoruba, in case you want to cast aspersion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Couple Welcome Baby Boy After 14 Years Of Marriage / I'm Seriously Considering Cheating On My Husband / The Things About Some Neighbors Borrowing Things And Not Return It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.