Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,796 members, 7,806,203 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging (38068 Views)

Ondo SUBEB To Pay N290,470 As Annual Salary To A Degree Holder On Grade Level 8 / 2018/2019 Futminna Postgraduate (master's Degree Program ) Discussion Thread. / When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Northurmate: 3:22pm On Apr 19, 2021
-Despite having a Master’s degree, Yazid Surajo is a scavenger.

-He chose to do menial jobs rather than stay idle, waiting for a white collar job. He recently posted on his Facebook page, his pictures carrying some scrap and copies of his certificates saying ‘It’s better to die on your feet than to live on your knees, I would rather be dirty and satisfied than clean and hungry’. 

- Daily Trust Saturday met with him in Lagos where he does his scrap business and he shed more light on how he was able to study to Master’s degree level despite the challenges he encountered.

How did you find yourself in the scrap business?

It is obvious that if you want to achieve something good in life, at least you have to be dedicated and self-determined.

When I concluded my national youth service in 2016, I made a decision of not to stay idle. Many of my childhood friends used to go to Lagos, so I didn’t hesitate to join them.

Some said I was not fit for the business because it required energy and it was stressful. Those that knew me well and my attitude knew that I could withstand all the challenges that I found myself into.

We have a master called Dandogo, we are about 70 under him, everyday he will give each of us money to go out and look for scrap.

Some may be given N7,000, some N10, 000, some up to N30,000, depending on capacity. After collecting the money, everyone will take his truck and push it around in search for scrap to buy. 

If you come across an item to buy which exceeds your money, you call your master to send you more money, and in the evening, everyone will go back to his master to upload the items he has purchased, measure it and the master will take out his money and give you back your gain. This is how we do the business on a daily basis.

After a year or two, I became used to that business. I gave it more attention because I realised that securing a job in this country is something that needs connection, because I have been applying for different government jobs but to no avail.

I applied for Nigerian Army, Navy, and Air force. I also applied for Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps, Nigerian Immigration Service, Customs Service, Fire Service, Correctional Service, Nigerian Police, and the recent one that I applied was National Drug Law Enforcement Agency NDLEA which they called me for an aptitude test and up till date, I have neither received a message nor heard about anything about the test.

When I realised that getting a job is something else in this country, I gave my venture more attention, and I have seen many benefits in it.

Are there any challenges you face during the business?

Indeed there are lots of obstacles faced during scrap business. It is like other businesses  that go with some benefits and obstacles.

In the first place, one has to be careful of where to enter; when to enter; how to enter; and whom you will buy the condemned iron or any electronic object from.

In Lagos, they call us  aboki or mallam, and we may fall victim of buying stolen items, which may lead to arrest or even imprisonment. In most cases, we get beaten, harassed, and interrogated.

You speak good English, what’s your education qualification?

I was born and raised in Karofi town of Dutsinma Local Government Area of Katsina State. I started my primary education at Karofi Model Primary School from 1996 to 2002. From there, I moved to GSSS, Karofi, from 2002 to 2008.

It was in 2008 that I got admitted at Hassan Usman Katsina Polytechnic, Katsina, where I began with IJMB and later got to study for a diploma. It was when I was in ND two that I got another admission at Umar Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina, to study History.

And my father advised me to drop the diploma course and go for the degree. I tried to convince my father to allow me to conclude my diploma before moving to any other programme, but he insisted that I must leave that diploma to accept that admission.

He added that “If you insist on rejecting that degree admission and continuing with the diploma, I will disown you.” So with that I complied and accepted the admission for my first degree from 2010-2014.

The reason for my refusal to accept that admission initially was that my father who was a police officer was on a sick bed, and I had seen his condition then. He was battling with hepatitis and that deadly ailment led to his departure.

He died as an inspector of police. But since his departure on 3rd December, 2010, we were unable to have access to his entitlement till after 10 years which was in December 2020 when the Police Service Commission released the entitlement of 3.5 million to us, which was half of his entitlement.

We suffered a lot to see that we got that entitlement in time because of the hardship that we fell into. We were duped by some personnel before getting that sum at the end.

How did you manage to study up to Master’s degree level?

After the successful completion of my first degree and my youth services in Osun State, I began to think of my next step. In that process, I was considered among the batch A of N-power beneficiaries under the National Social Investment Programme which ended in 2020.

The federal government under this programme promised all the volunteers that they would be provided with government jobs, but that promise was not fulfilled.

They also promised all the volunteers an exit package in the sum of five hundred thousand naira to kick start a business, but that promise too has not been fulfilled. I later moved to Lagos where I ventured into the scrap business.

It was later in 2018 that I decided to continue with my education. Many people began to express their opinions on the decision, but after all, I was offered admission to study for a Master’s degree in Development Studies at Bayero University, Kano.

When the admission letter was issued to me, because of the economic situation then, I didn’t have the financial capacity to pay for the acceptance fees, not to talk of registration.

But because I was determined to further my education, I managed to sell my only plot of land. With the help of one of my friends who knows my keen interest in education, I got  a buyer of the land, and so it happened. I paid for the registration and managed to continue with the programme.

Do you intend to modernise the business?

Yes, if I have the opportunity; capital and my own
place of doing business, I will register my company and also register my workers. I will give them enlightenment on what kind of goods they should buy and the source they should trust.

I will also use this media to call on the youth to be self-reliant with the little they have at their disposal to start a little business.

I also advise them to desist from involving themselves in any criminal activities, like internet fraud, armed robbery, kidnapping, and all other criminal activities.

https://dailytrust.com/why-i-opted-for-scavenging-masters-degree-holder

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by clockwisereport: 4:25pm On Apr 19, 2021
Waste of school fees

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by edoairways: 4:27pm On Apr 19, 2021
What is the essence of this article, that school is scam or what? .

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by aidameoryou: 5:40pm On Apr 19, 2021
ITS ALL GOOD

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Stomoney(m): 5:41pm On Apr 19, 2021
This is not new in this country. I could remember back then in 2013 I was forced to study Glass and Ceramic tech at fedpolyado. First semester I had 2.43(chronic pass grin), second semester on 2.46 with many carry-over just because I wasn't given the course I applied for. My set was the worst according to the lecturers then but it took the best of Mr Shado who enlighten us about Nigeria education. I got motivated and came out with 2.97 (almost upper credit during my OND) and 3.35 upper credit during my HND. Las Las na Automobile company (BAJAJ) I dey work now as engineer

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by RapistOnBail: 5:41pm On Apr 19, 2021

Give him 10 years from today, he’ll be contesting for a political position in his state or local government.

These guys are wealthy. No doubt am.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Tigaromil: 5:41pm On Apr 19, 2021
Village people playing joro now.

1 Like

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Lankyscot(m): 5:41pm On Apr 19, 2021
Nigeria, a geographic location where dreams are DESTROYED on a daily basis!

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Sabadon(m): 5:41pm On Apr 19, 2021
in as much as its a noble thing he did, "not engaging in crime for survival", its imperative to note that education helps liberate yourself and unlock the potentials within and not necessarily a toll used to secure government job.

Ever wondered where you ll apply all those analytical mathematical thinking? its in real life problem like this..." to create an opportunity for yourself where non exists".

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by iceberylin(m): 5:41pm On Apr 19, 2021
Give aboki PHD He's still Aboki, like the ones in Govt
Master's degree holder should be able to come up with something better to do.
Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Fuckeveryday2: 5:41pm On Apr 19, 2021
That guy spamming Nairaland with

Nigerian girls are useless, all of them

Should rather say something meaningful like..

Nigerian politicians are useless, all of them

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by eliok(m): 5:41pm On Apr 19, 2021
Better than stealing and Yahoo. Might be picked up for a job anytime .

24 Likes

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by kponkedenge(m): 5:42pm On Apr 19, 2021
Imagine spending so much money on education and ending up like this.
This country no dey try at all.
Almost all job now requires experience.... How would someone gain that experience if you don't employ him or her.

May God help us all.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by chrisifeanyi: 5:42pm On Apr 19, 2021
Is better called Executive Waste Material Gatherer Same way most banks tag Executive to stupid job portfolio

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Revere27: 5:42pm On Apr 19, 2021
Anything you find yourself doing.... Do it well.

I pray God elevates him to an higher position.

4 Likes

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Numerouno94(m): 5:42pm On Apr 19, 2021
sad
Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by olaoye15(m): 5:42pm On Apr 19, 2021
Nonsense
Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 19, 2021
a
Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 19, 2021
Masters in Development Studies...

Bros Yusuf, that your course get as it be.... shocked
Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by westlius(m): 5:43pm On Apr 19, 2021
[quote author=edoairways post=100934608]What is the essence of this article, that school is scam or what? . [/quote
School na scam till our govt start investing in youth development
Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 19, 2021
This is so pathetic!

Like seriously, this should not be happening. Where our leaders and their children are living like first class citizens with the wealth meant for all of us. while other citizens are living in abject poverty and lack in the same country.

When are the youths going to rise up against this man inhumanity to man?

3 Likes

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by jaxxy(m): 5:43pm On Apr 19, 2021
Bros uve tried but.. All the way from katsina to Lagos to do scrap business, which I wud say can be lucrative on bt on a larger scale..

which kind country be this. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Bossil(m): 5:44pm On Apr 19, 2021
Speechless
Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by samsegs(m): 5:44pm On Apr 19, 2021
Money dey this scavenging thing ooo..

1 Like

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by 9jaRealist: 5:44pm On Apr 19, 2021
Northurmate:
-Despite having a Master’s degree, Yazid Surajo is a scavenger.

-He chose to do menial jobs rather than stay idle, waiting for a white collar job. He recently posted on his Facebook page, his pictures carrying some scrap and copies of his certificates saying ‘It’s better to die on your feet than to live on your knees, I would rather be dirty and satisfied than clean and hungry’. 

- Daily Trust Saturday met with him in Lagos where he does his scrap business and he shed more light on how he was able to study to Master’s degree level despite the challenges he encountered.

https://dailytrust.com/why-i-opted-for-scavenging-masters-degree-holder

The question is “Master’s degree” in what exactly?
Unfortunately, many Nigerians garner degrees and certification irrelevant to the job market or future trends.
>

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by Ipromote: 5:44pm On Apr 19, 2021
Money dey the business sef
Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by KINGSATANREBORN: 5:44pm On Apr 19, 2021
Abokis are naturally foo.lish. Don't forget that they're by default ki.llers.
Re: Master’s Degree Holder: Why I Opted For Scavenging by obonujoker(m): 5:44pm On Apr 19, 2021
There's dignity in labor

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? / Fulani Herdsmen Invade Primary School, Classroom In Edo With Cattle (Photos) / Babcock’s Best Graduating Student Has Never Kissed A Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.