Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,751 members, 7,806,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:50 AM

The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) (13920 Views)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / Ambode Has Just Sold Us To The Hausas In Mile 12 / Diezani Allison-Madueke Elected As OPEC Alternate President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by cheikh: 7:14pm On Apr 24, 2011
ekt bear
The indirect rule policy of the British really, really screwed them over. If the British had their real, longterm interests at heart, they'd have broken the power of th emirs, not strengthened it with indirect rule.

@ekt bear

Well, the British were not 'benevolent' nor 'peaceful' visitors were they wink? Enemies or 'conquistadors' or 'imperialists' can never have your 'short' or 'longterm' interests at heart. The British did what they believe is politically and economically expedient. It's cost-effective for king and country most especially as they only have a small band of marauding imperial army in faraway "darkest" Africa. Besides, the British are very much aware that the ruling northern elite- all* (Fulani) Sultan and Emirs are already entrenched and running a good "hustle" so why disturb it if it's not against your interest per se wink grin?
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Jenifa1: 12:11am On Apr 25, 2011
rufflychux:

Why Nigeria is corrupt and backwards.

1. Easterners -> Money, Corruption, Blood money, armed robbery.
2. Northeners -> Illiteracy, Uneducated mallams, suicide bombers (illiterate hausa's)
3. Southerners -> Other parts of Nigeria think they own the southerners. As taught in the schools, the three MAJOR LANGUAGES are
A .Hausa
B. Igbo
C. Yoruba

And this is being TAUGHT to children in schools. Discrimination is being taught to children in schools.
The division of Nigeria is being taught in the primary schools.

pleep:

My sister who went to school, 4th grade, in Nigeria for a year told me that her teacher taught the kids that Hausas drink human blood and worship Satan.

that's quite sad
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by cheikh: 2:15am On Apr 25, 2011
Kilode?!
We will not get a just Nigeria until we deal with our Political, Cultural and Religious oppressors. The French had to do it, the New colony Americans did it. Even China did it by removing the monarchy. Any system we adopt must fundamentally reduce or curb the power of the few who are oppressing the majority.
It will not solve all our issues or remove all oppression. A system based on egalitarian principles may not be implemented 100%, but 50% is better that 2%, 70 better than 65% .
One reason why I do not like the outcome of the last election is that it reinforced the idea that we cannot remove this central power. I hope GEJ can work to curb it but I will not bet on it. We might need to get a popular uprising eventually.
The Western MOC's and their state supporters will always be a central factor as long as we have oil, but even they are not silly and their power is not limitless. The agents of structural changes will have to court their support strategically with reasonable assurances, else we all go down together. Ask The Niger Deltans how they did it. . .

@Kilode?!

Did you read the statement made by the OPC alluding to "National sovereign Conference"etc because of the crisis in the North of Nigeria similar to Massob statement and the only differing voice was the Niger Delta(MEND) protecting and defending the centre wink? GEJ must be defended and protected because it's our "turn" or our "Son". Suddenly democracy wears a new kind of garment or meaning different things to different people grin. I've said it many times without number that Nigerians do no[/b]t want "[b]Change". Almajiris or area-boys etc are just symptoms of our national malaise in our so called country. The so called security apparatus in Nigeria has been compromised longtime ago and only used as tool of oppression and control of dissenters by the "few" ruling elite as @ Gadogado put it succinctly about 10,000 persons from the South to the North sad PDP and GEJ are very much part of that group who will never appraise let alone welcome any serious national conversation or discussion. Sadly, the only group that have any discernible power of terror or bargaining ace is  the Niger delta(MEND) or his backyard, but in some perverse way they have forsworn their ideals for the perceived "Centre". GEJ cannot give any meaningful orders to the security apparatus(Army) etc to control the crisis not because he does not care but because the history of control of such crises in Nigeria have never been decisive and purposeful enough to send a clear message that terrorising fellow citizens is unacceptable and can never be tolerated. Terror in the North of Nigeria, for a very long time has become the norm, tolerated, rewarded and 'natural', that it has become subject of 'pseudo-intellectual' exercise amongst southern Nigerians. Nigeria is technically divided into two parts whether we admit it or not. The ruling political 'class' sincerely have a vested interest in 'chaos' and 'status-quo'. I was a little stirred with surprise or perverse 'joy' that the almajiri are becoming emboldened and no longer deferential to the small number of ruling 'looters' or elite but I was rudely awakened from my usual naivety like many other misguided Nigerians. GEJ with his mandate can put forward a lot of transformational [/b]motions supported by the grassroots in the various LGs, States etc but it's doubtful. Change or Transformation is not what they are about but maintaining the status quo as it is. It's a shame and I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. 'Religion' or Islam is not the cause of the crises in the North of Nigeria. Nigeria is not the only place in West-Africa or Africa with religious zealots yet [b]loss of lives and Terror have become a permanent feature of the Nigerian landscape. Why do we behave as though we have monopoly of religion/God in Nigeria despite the fact that we are amongst the last to embrace Islam and Christianity in our domain? sad
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by epitome001: 9:08pm On Apr 27, 2011
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Kilode1: 11:23pm On Apr 27, 2011
cheikh:

Kilode?!

@Kilode?!

Did you read the statement made by the OPC alluding to "National sovereign Conference"etc because of the crisis in the North of Nigeria similar to Massob statement and the only differing voice was the Niger Delta(MEND) protecting and defending the centre wink? GEJ must be defended and protected because it's our "turn" or our "Son". Suddenly democracy wears a new kind of garment or meaning different things to different people grin. I've said it many times without number that Nigerians do no[/b]t want "[b]Change".

Almajiris or area-boys etc are just symptoms of our national malaise in our so called country. The so called security apparatus in Nigeria has been compromised longtime ago and only used as tool of oppression and control of dissenters by the "few" ruling elite as @ Gadogado put it succinctly about 10,000 persons from the South to the North sad PDP and GEJ are very much part of that group who will never appraise let alone welcome any serious national conversation or discussion.

Sadly, the only group that have any discernible power of terror or bargaining ace is  the Niger delta(MEND) or his backyard, but in some perverse way they have forsworn their ideals for the perceived "Centre".

GEJ cannot give any meaningful orders to the security apparatus(Army) etc to control the crisis not because he does not care but because the history of control of such crises in Nigeria have never been decisive and purposeful enough to send a clear message that terrorising fellow citizens is unacceptable and can never be tolerated.

Terror in the North of Nigeria, for a very long time has become the norm, tolerated, rewarded and 'natural', that it has become subject of 'pseudo-intellectual' exercise amongst southern Nigerians. Nigeria is technically divided into two parts whether we admit it or not. The ruling political 'class' sincerely have a vested interest in 'chaos' and 'status-quo'.

[size=15pt]I was a little stirred with surprise or perverse 'joy' that the almajiri are becoming emboldened and no longer deferential to the small number of ruling 'looters' or elite but I was rudely awakened from my usual naivety like many other misguided Nigerians.[/size] GEJ with his mandate can put forward a lot of transformational [/b]motions supported by the grassroots in the various LGs, States etc but it's doubtful.

Change or Transformation is not what they are about but maintaining the status quo as it is. It's a shame and I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. 'Religion' or Islam is not the cause of the crises in the North of Nigeria. Nigeria is not the only place in West-Africa or Africa with religious zealots yet [b]loss
of lives and Terror have become a permanent feature of the Nigerian landscape. Why do we behave as though we have monopoly of religion/God in Nigeria despite the fact that we are amongst the last to embrace Islam and Christianity in our domain? sad

My brother, You know the bolded is a very dangerous "perverse joy" to express right now.  cheesy But you captured my thoughts very well.

The beneficiares of CENTRAL "PDP" POWER have succeeded in muffling the voices of reason though. Shortsighted emotional and sentimental calculations rules the air now. It is almost too dangerous to have another perspective

Yes,  I was saddened by the killings in the North, No one has the right to take another man's life like that, but I'm also terribly disapppointed by the conversation we've had (as a country) in the aftermath, if we even had any conversation at all.

Today, at the State Elections, the PDP probably routed the CPC and took the North back. Those who see things from the perspectives of PDP goons and Strong Center oppressors will be happy, But I'm not. I think we've squandered a good chance.

IMO, We broke the resolve of poor Northerners who wanted change, we only assisted their oppressors.

We might've only succeeded in delaying the liberation of the oppressed poor(in the North)who got a small window of opportunity to chase feudal lords and political oppressors from their cities through CPC.

We labelled them extremists and some of them deserve that label, but on the whole, we gave power back to their oppressors, the same people whose bad leadership turned them to poorly educated desperate killers, the same people they were trying to get rid of.

It is sad really, let's see wait for what history and time will say about 2011.

Maybe PDP will prove us wrong, I'm not hopeful about that though.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by cheikh: 10:56pm On Apr 28, 2011
Kilode?!
Today, at the State Elections, the PDP probably routed the CPC and took the North back. Those who see things from the perspectives of PDP goons and Strong Center oppressors will be happy, But I'm not. I think we've squandered a good chance.

IMO, We broke the resolve of poor Northerners who wanted change, we only assisted their oppressors.

We might've only succeeded in delaying the liberation of the oppressed poor(in the North)who got a small window of opportunity to chase feudal lords and political oppressors from their cities through CPC.

We labelled them extremists and some of them deserve that label, but on the whole, we gave power back to their oppressors, the same people whose bad leadership turned them to poorly educated desperate killers, the same people they were trying to get rid of.

@Kilode?! ^^^

The bolded above I agree so much with, that I felt a little emotional and very sad sad because some of our country men and women may have stifled a genuine revolt not only in the North but in the rest of the country by labelling them "extremists" or even worse criminals. I believe that Change in Nigeria probably will involve some Pain or dire Price someday, if GEJ and PDP does not effect identifiable progressive changes. I think the youths of the North are at the vanguard of what the future may hold for the so called ruling elite in Nigeria. I wonder whether the Southern Nigerian youths will be able to replicate similar actions against 'looters' in their midst? Maybe the tolerance for 'looters' in the South is insidious and "democratic". Perhaps this is an opportunity to build bridges between the North and South, link up politically and develop alternative systems of communication for next time. I think the South may be colluding inadvertently in holding our people in the North back from effecting a serious revolution as evidenced by numerous revolts- Maitatsine, Boko haram etc. They may be labelled 'religious' sects etc but they are in the vanguard of some 'change'. There's none in the South of similar political dynamism. Mend is now fighting for the Centre or rather is a member of the new "democratic" Centre. I sincerely worry about some of our politics.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Kilode1: 12:22am On Apr 29, 2011
cheikh:

Kilode?!
@Kilode?! ^^^

The bolded above I agree so much with, that I felt a little emotional and very sad sad because some of our country men and women may have stifled a genuine revolt not only in the North but in the rest of the country by labelling them "extremists" or even worse criminals. I believe that Change in Nigeria probably will involve some Pain or dire Price someday, if GEJ and PDP does not effect identifiable progressive changes.

I think the youths of the North are at the vanguard of what the future may hold for the so called ruling elite in Nigeria. I wonder whether the Southern Nigerian youths will be able to replicate similar actions against 'looters' in their midst? [/b]Maybe the tolerance for 'looters' in the South is insidious and "democratic[b]".

Perhaps this is an opportunity to build bridges between the North and South, link up politically and develop alternative systems of communication for next time.

I think the South may be colluding inadvertently in holding our people in the North back from effecting a serious revolution as evidenced by numerous revolts- Maitatsine, Boko haram etc. They may be labelled 'religious' sects etc but they are in the vanguard of some 'change'. There's none in the South of similar political dynamism. Mend is now fighting for the Centre or rather is a member of the new "democratic" Centre. I sincerely worry about some of our politics.

You know, a part of me wants to blame the opposition for being too shortsighted, but at the same time I realize how much distrust and fear we've managed to build up in Nigeria over the decades.

I agree with your point about working on communicating shared ideas across our different communities for next time. GEJ and his team won the propaganda war over Buhari. Even supporters like myself could not convince some friends and relatives, it was mad difficult, people just stuck to the ethnic and religious sentiments.

Hopefully the more progressive politicians across the Country(NORTH and SOUTH) will try again or at least keep the pressure on.

I also hope the CPC/Buhari movement will refuse to cower, they need to fine-tune their ideology and work to build alliances with progressive elements across the South.

It will also be very interesting to watch what MEND will do in the next 2 years; still pushing federalism and resource control? or just satisfied with GEJ in control. . .

I'm not sure we can avoid a popular uprising if we fail to fix things through politics.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by cheikh: 2:39am On Apr 29, 2011
Kilode?!
You know, a part of me wants to blame the opposition for being too shortsighted, but at the same time I realize how much distrust and fear we've managed to build up in Nigeria over the decades.
It will also be very interesting to watch what MEND will do in the next 2 years; still pushing federalism and resource control? or just satisfied with GEJ in control. . .
I'm not sure we can avoid a popular uprising if we fail to fix things through politics.

@Kilode?! ^^^

I strongly blame the so called opposition for being too shortsighted but then Buhari was never a consummate politician but a soldier by trade and orientation. Distrust, fear and innuendoes has been the norm and bed-rock of Nigerian professional politicians and Buhari will never win that kind of propaganda war in an atmosphere of general ignorance and mis-education.
I was once foolishly hopeful that MEND might be able to 'forge' a popular political message that can be packaged appropriately for everyone to buy into especially the majority disenfranchised youths of the South and the North. As it is now, that kind of thinking is misplaced and a little too hollow headed of me. Short sighted politics and thinking is not unique to the Political 'juggernauts'. Resource control and Federalism will take a back seat, after all, MEND and sympathisers are technically at the Centre and in control of the Purse strings with the accompanying power of terror at their disposal. "Belly" politics seems to be the desire not lofty ideals.
Popular uprisings might seem desirable or inevitable if positive Change or direction is not effected in the next four years but I am not exactly convinced it'll ever happen because Pressure on Nigerians is not pressing enough to inspire such spontaneous action.  We are inherently apathetic, lazy, fearful, and deferential especially in the South of Nigeria hence I was looking hopefully to MEND, SNG etc to be on the vanguard while Buhari or some other persons like Lukman, Ribadu or Shekarau could garner mass support in the North of the country. Somehow, the actions of the so called almajiris in the recent times have once again demonstrated to everyone that the North is not as monolithic and deferential as most people in the South think. All hope is not lost but the reactionary South have to get their act together if meaningful change is ever going to happen given that much of the loud complaints come from the southern backyard. The ball is in South-South court now. Let's wait and see what the next implausible excuses will be nearing 2015 wink.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by okunoba(m): 1:56pm On Apr 30, 2011
@cheikh and @Kilode, If the oppressed poor Northerners really wanted change their anger would have been directed at people like Buhari and his fellow ill disciplined Generals who have ruled Nigeria for over 38 years and yet have done nothing to make the life of the average Northerner better. Rather they chose to kill innocent Southerners who are also victims of the misrule of these generals.  If they had gone after the Northern rulers instead of killing Southerners, we would have been more than happy to join in the revolt. Killing of the Innocent non believers by jihadist can never be taken as genuine progressive revolt, by any rational thinking person.

The North isn`t yet ready for progressive change because the society is still blinded by religion, this means everything to the average Northerner. Islam is everything not human dignity and love. His alliance is to Islam not to humanity.  Until it breaks free from the shackles of religion, I am afraid the people will remain stuck in bondage.

"We broke the resolve of poor Northerners who wanted change, we only assisted their oppressors" No , we broke the blinding effect of religion over reason and pragmatism.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Arosa(m): 2:18pm On Apr 30, 2011
The best way these almarijiri can go about their so called revolution is for them to start setting themselves ablaze in their hundreds, just like their brother in the north of Africa. They can follow that up with the killing of their corrupt leader. Then alone can we in the south consider them as serious. undecided
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by cheikh: 10:47pm On Apr 30, 2011
okunoba
The North isn`t yet ready for progressive change because the society is still blinded by religion, this means everything to the average Northerner. Islam is everything not human dignity and love. His alliance is to Islam not to humanity. Until it breaks free from the shackles of religion, I am afraid the people will remain stuck in bondage.

@okunoba ^^

Do you sincerely think and believe the bolded ^^ above of your fellow country men and women? So the progressive South ruled and full of reason, free of the shackles of religion are not stuck in bondage grin? My friend, the discussion is not about the tragedy or the very gruesome loss of lives every normal human being have acknowledged and strongly condemned unequivocally. We are trying to make sense of the "chaos"/ "Tragedy" that's Nigeria sad. Are you not tired of the never ending circle of "gratuitous" violence, deaths and numbing acceptance of "ugliness" around us? It's as if we have lost our sense of outrage, right or wrong and in short our so called Values/culture whatever that is. The conversation here is about trying to hear a different perspective or view point, perhaps, may be we may learn, understand and appreciate the enormity of the problems we have as a people. It's not about simplistic shrill voices shouting 'religion' - Islam or Christianity. Islam and Christianity are about Humanity. No religion has monopoly of love, humanity and dignity. Our traditional religions have that too so please ease off on the high minded godliness etc. The issue at hand is that the ruling political elite in our midst North and South are colluding to oppress and inflict pain-violence [/b]on us all without exception yet some of us carry on as if we are any better or different from the so called alamajiri. Is bad government i.e. lack of good roads, medical facilities, energy, schools, universities, young men and women trekking across the desert(Sahara), prostitution, vote rigging etc not destructive enough for our collective psyche? We are in danger of loosing our humanity as a people hence some of us think that non performing [b]Bad government and the political class in our midst are not inflicting serious violence on us, maybe because some of us are able to acquire some material basics such as generators, private hospital care or schools and even quasi security at the gate. How are you sure that your 'good' security guard is not an ex alamajiri? We should be mindful in our haste to pass judgement on our fellow citizens. Area boys, agberos and street urchins in most Nigerian cities are very much alike except perhaps the alamajiri have more lofty political ideals and consciousness but for the accompanying violence. Nigeria itself is a very violent place for any under educated and mis-educated young person to survive in hence the "the long treks" across the desert. Let's try to [b]build bridges [/b]or rather [b]find solutions [/b]instead of invectives etc at each other hence this conversation is a start wink grin.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by favouredjb(f): 6:32am On May 01, 2011
Ndanbanta or whatever your name is,you dnt deem it fit to reply on the cold blooded murder of the innocent youths abi?just cos u

av no idea how it hurts,u ust keep going on abt PDP this n dt,
its so annoyig,ur ppl are savages n barbarians simple!
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by favouredjb(f): 6:34am On May 01, 2011
CHEICK^^^^ WE are not addressing corruption here,we are talking about blood thirsty mallams/almajiris whom even if Nigeria were to be like

the UK,they ll still find it in that cold hearted heart of theirs to kill 'infidels'
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by Nadanbata: 7:36am On May 01, 2011
@ favouredjb

What you want me to say? "I am happy at the deaths of innocents. We blood thirsty Almajaris love it?"

I have condemed the killings o. If the federal govt provided security for all maybe we could track the ones who killed and try them in a court of law? Maybe track all them kidnappers and armed robbers as well abi?
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by favouredjb(f): 7:54am On May 01, 2011
i hear you,but please dnt compare them to armed robbers ok?
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by cheikh: 8:15pm On May 01, 2011
favouredjb
WE are not addressing corruption here,we are talking about blood thirsty mallams/almajiris whom even if Nigeria were to be like
the UK,they ll still find it in that cold hearted heart of theirs to kill 'infidels'

@favouredjb

PLs the topic is about "Alternate Perspective" preferably by Hausas etc not about condemnation of fellow citizens on NL who clearly have nothing to do with the actual violence or mayhem. All our sensibilities have been violated by the criminal acts. You'll acknowledge that our collective frustration is even more pronounced because of our powerlessness and total lack of security for any Nigerian including the President; never mind the fancy gun toting so called body guards around our political elite. Pls don't be so irate at ordinary fellow citizens. The crisis in our midst is deeper than meets the naked eye. Politico-religious violence is as Nigerian as the pounded yam or tuwo-shinkafa. We've been pretending that all is well and like here on NL, some of us do not want simple dialogue or conversation let alone listen to each other. Which do you prefer senseless noise or thoughtful reflective dialogue? Our cultural norms and values have been so bastardised by our ruling elite that the physical and psychological violence we see and witness around us almost on a daily basis, is no longer shocking to us. It's as if we've all become inured to "wickedness" or violence everywhere in Nigeria from the police road block check point to the petrol sales assistant ripping you off etc. I'll say that we are living a 'schizophrenic' existence in most Nigerian so called cities yet we pretend that it's ok with us. We are all on edge but the almajiri probably have more guts to act on their frustration. I am not condoning or making excuses for wanton destructive behaviour.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by okunoba(m): 7:00am On May 02, 2011
@cheikh,  I never mentioned anything about the South being progressive and ruled by reason. I was addressing the point you made, suggesting that the senseless killings  of Southerners and christians that took place after the presidential election, was a Northern revolt  for progressive change in the country.  Yes I do stand by my word, the  average Northerner is completely dominated by Islam, humanity and reason takes second place. I mean no offense and neither am I saying the South is a beacon of reason, but it`s not blinded by religion to the point where multitudes of people go on a killing spree of non believers. 

I want justice, peace and brotherly love across the Niger, but to achieve these things I believe we have to be honest.  The destructive effects of religion can be seen all over Nigeria, it`s just  more acute in the North. Similar to child beggars, we have them all over the country, but the problem is more severe in the North because of the Almajiri culture. Comparing agberos to almajiris shows you are more concerned about scoring points and image preservation. Do they go on a killing spree of non believers? How many thousands of non Yoruba`s have the killed?

The poor Almajiri kids have been turned into religious zombies and my sympathy is with them, they need to be saved from this most cruel of human abuse. I believe you mean well but you are more concerned about not looking worse than your neighbor, for me it`s not about that. I believe the whole country is messed up. To address this problems , we can`t afford to be in denial just because it might put our community in a bad light.

Lets try and think outside the box, critical thinking is the answer.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by cheikh: 10:33pm On May 02, 2011
@okunoba
I appreciate your opinion and frustration but I'll like you to also keep in mind that the almajiri culture is not peculiar nor unique to Nigeria. The system is all over West-Africa(Senegal-Nigeria). My friend we are trying to have a healthy reasonable conversation and never about cynicism let alone point scoring. I am equally as concerned and worried as you. I am only trying to make you understand that Islam is a way of life and nothing about it is inherently "devilish" or compelling as to induce murderous behaviour or attitudes against your fellow country men. My viewpoint about such behaviour in the north of Nigeria is simply that both the state [/b]and [b]federal authorities have abdicated their responsibilities of security in their domain. Why is it that there are no retaliatory actions in much of the Southern part of the country? I guess because there was a proactive instruction by state governors to citizens to show restraint etc. Besides, much of the south seem to be under military and police occupation anyway.
'Education' is the best help for the so called almajiri culture and it's been available for as long as I can remember. The crux of the problem is  the ruling elite do not see the urgency nor the importance perhaps until now when some of their properties were burnt down to effect or implement policies for change. I said earlier somewhere that the political elite in Nigeria are similar and together in their mindlessness especially in their crass quest for power and primitive accumulation of money not investment nor development. You only have to listen to or read some of the opinions of some so called elite in the north like Yaguda etc to understand the mindset and enormity of the problem. Almajiris are victims of a wicked and cynical elite not Islam. The elite are very proactive, efficient and effective in their quest for power and money but somehow very fatalistic, helpless or clueless when it comes to doing the right thing for citizens. Have you ever wondered why it is that Yerima had the time and money to marry an underaged girl amongst his other wives yet no serious attention was ever paid to multitudes of idle restive young boys? Ignorance and chaos is profitable for a lot of the elite but that is becoming hollow and obsolete as a tool of political control as the riots sadly have demonstrated. It's tragic and regrettable for the loss of lives. We are all sad about the losses and hope for a better strategy for next time hence dialogue and conversation is important to pre-empt future tragedies. We cannot afford to relax and not pay attention to the trends or else we'll be taken unaware again when similar crises erupt. I am sorry to offend your sensibilities wink.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by okunoba(m): 1:52am On May 05, 2011
@Cheik, I am aware of the Almajiri culture being prevelent in many west African countries, I have indeed seen documentaries on it. All telling the same sad and disturbing story of the worst kind of child abuse one can imagine. I would rather not talk about religion especially Islam as it might offend you and I doubt I can change you long held belief of it. But if the truth must be told without fear of offending, we can`t deny the effects of Islamic teachings on these young Almajiri kids. That is all they know, that is their way of life as you rightly said, "Islam is a way of life" They do things based on the teachings of the Koran, it`s the only way they know as they are never thought anything else but the teachings of the messenger of God(PBUH)

I do agree that the Northern ruling class are also responsible by not giving them basic modern education that will empower them and free them from their bondage, but would rather force feed them Islamic dogma and sharia. what do you mean by the south being under a police and military occupation?

What are you as an educated Northerner doing to change the situation and give these voiceless youth hope and a better life? You have not offended my sensibilities at all, I actually do like your civility in getting your point across, a trait that is so often missing on Nairaland.
Re: The Hausas (an Alternate Pespective) by cheikh: 8:06pm On May 05, 2011
okunoba
I do agree that the Northern ruling class are also responsible by not giving them basic modern education that will empower them and free them from their bondage, but would rather force feed them Islamic dogma and sharia. what do you mean by the south being under a police and military occupation?
What are you as an educated Northerner doing to change the situation and give these voiceless youth hope and a better life? You have not offended my sensibilities at all, I actually do like your civility in getting your point across, a trait that is so often missing on Nairaland.

@okunoba

The northern elite have not force fed anybody with Islamic dogma or sharia. Very few of the northern elite practice nor live by islamic tenets just like their Christian counterparts otherwise the country would be a better place for us all. Lootocracy and rampant sexuality amongst the elite North and South have nothing to do with religion except that some so called muslims(men) justify their rapacious sexual behaviour using Islam or tradition as in the south etc. Presently, such behaviour is causing some concern in Kano and the rest of the North because of high frequency of divorce or large number of separated or divorced women left high and dry by unscrupulous men who use and abuse pseudo-'islamic' traditions of marriage. It's obvious that most of them do not have full understanding of Islam or rather they are selective of some aspects of the religion. As human beings we have free will and choice. Don't we? The elite of the north and south expose their family to the best of Oriental and Western education yet behave apathetic, insensitive and extremely corrupt when dealing with the rest of the nation or states where they exercise power or influence. I am more interested in how we can forge a dialogue etc in order to break the wicked hegemony. I am not very optimistic that change will happen soon let alone in the distant future if we do not begin to seriously think creatively as a people. We are in danger as a people. The world is changing fast around us.
You wondered what I mean by the South being under police and army occupation. Well, I don't know how much you know of Nigeria physically from the North to the South and how much keen sense of observation you have. I'll state categorically that the method of policing, behaviour standards of the personnel of our security agents in the South of Nigeria is radically different. They are far more aggressive and menacing in their attitudes towards fellow citizens as if they are from another planet. Hardly do you experience the army or police assaulting or abusing citizens male or female in the North of Nigeria, somehow, that's gone a long way in intimidating and cowering the citizens to the benefit of the ruling elite. There are many strategic military garrisons in the south which appears to be deliberately situated for purposes of social control of the populace etc. If the security apparatus was purposefully situated and distributed, much of the so called "Islamic" riots will not gain ground as they frequently do and they have to airlift personnel from the South to the North.
Well, I am not an educated northerner wink grin as you assumed. Thank you for the compliment about me being polite grin. Good manners and politeness costs nothing and it kind of indicates our values etc. Conversation does not have to be always "Shouting and Cursing"etc. As Africans we have great values that define and show case us as indeed the arbiters of civilisation. It's older than Islam and Christianity. Have a good day my brother grin.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Federal Government, States N13.1b Richer In December – Adeosun / Photos From John Oyegun's 80th Birthday Celebration In Abuja / IPPIS, GIFMIS Robbing FG Of Billions, Says Audit Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.