Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 (17275 Views)

THE XIAOMI (REDMI) SMARTPHONE BRAND 2020 / TECNO Moves To 9th While Apple Slips To 4th In The List Of Top Smartphone Makers / Top Smartphone Makers And The Football Teams They Support (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Realboygenius(m): 10:15am On Apr 20, 2021
TECNO Mobile has regained it top spot as Africa's Top Smartphone Brand of the year 2020 after displacing Samsung Mobile, riding on a successful launch of models in the affordable segment and continued market spending, according to Counterpoint Research’s Market Monitor service.

The Transsion brand achieved this feat against the backdrop of a 6.7% YoY fall in Africa’s smartphone shipments in 2020. Much of the damage was done in the first half of the year due to retail and supply chain disruptions caused by COVID-19, which were partially offset by a swift recovery in the second half due to pent-up demand.

Speaking on the market dynamics, Senior Analyst Yang Wang said, “Looking at the entire year, the African smartphone market outperformed other regions but was not immune to disruptions caused by the pandemic. Q2 2020 was especially difficult as demand was hammered when most countries entered lockdowns. Smartphone shipments during the quarter saw a YoY drop of 27%.”

Wang added, “Restrictions started easing in July. Demand followed suit, riding on a surge in promotional activities, even as COVID-19 cases ticked upwards heading into the Christmas shopping season. Q4 2020 actually eked out a 1.5% gain in YoY terms, the best quarter on record.”

Speaking about smartphone prices in the African market, Wang said, “The ASP decreased 15% between 2018 and 2020, and today over 80% of Africa’s smartphone shipments come from the below- $200 band. We can expect further replacement of feature phones by entry-level smartphones, leading to the ASP likely remaining under pressure in the next few years.”

2020 also saw sales of the first 5G capable smartphones in Africa. 5G is unlikely to be a main factor in the African market in the next few years though, as the deployment of 5G commercial networks is still in its infancy in the continent. Still, there is room for 5G smartphones in Africa, especially if prices can drop below $200, as Counterpoint expects to happen in the near future.

Source: https://www.counterpointresearch.com/tecno-beats-samsung-africa-top-2020/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by HONESTFACT101(m): 10:16am On Apr 20, 2021
Transsion doing well lately......signing out

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Ennyholar: 10:26am On Apr 20, 2021
I'm not surprised.
TECNO Mobile has always been dominating the Africa's smartphone market with their affordable smartphones. It'll take other years to beat them.

20 Likes

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by hoilakes(m): 10:28am On Apr 20, 2021
Obviously... when they are doing the right thing

Nothing is stopping them to maintaining the TOP

5 Likes

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by iseoluwanimi: 10:30am On Apr 20, 2021
Woow congratulations to TECNO, the fire is on now they should KEEP it up

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by sureinfo: 10:30am On Apr 20, 2021
as e dey be, very much expected. they have worked hard for it and deserve every spot they are getting.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Freelancerx: 10:30am On Apr 20, 2021
Saw this earlier and I was not surprised at all. The Tecno brand understands the needs of their customers better

38 Likes

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by paduzman: 10:33am On Apr 20, 2021
i cant really say i am surprised, didn't even know Samsung was top in Africa before, i had always thought it was TECNO all these while,

4 Likes

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Iceman296: 10:33am On Apr 20, 2021
Well done TECNO.

I think because they understand the African market better.

22 Likes

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Yourfav: 10:33am On Apr 20, 2021
Later someone would say "who still uses tecno" lmao. I laugh in Spanish

22 Likes

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by edoairways: 10:34am On Apr 20, 2021
This statistics shows that Tecno is still number choice of most Africans. Whether you believe or not, they had penetrated the market with their aggressive campaign.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Sunkanmiwise(m): 10:50am On Apr 20, 2021
Where are those bunch of noise makers, despite Covid-19 that disrupted global business TECNO still lead the African.

That's to show those unknown mobile brand that TECNO knows the African market well.

1 Like

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Gabe427: 10:58am On Apr 20, 2021
no hate from r tecno I just don't like their products

2 Likes

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by devbojj: 11:00am On Apr 20, 2021
I really don't believe this, but so far the way tecno has been pushing there brand...will surely lead to this...

Congrats
Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by sunshineV(f): 11:01am On Apr 20, 2021
carlcare customers

8 Likes

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by OlofofoAdugbo1: 12:59pm On Apr 20, 2021
if you are going to dominate any market in this era, you must study the locality of the region, the buying power of the market, how Large the market is and also the peculiarities of the market so as to give the people within the region the best and what specifically suit them.

that's what TECNO MOBILE has always done, no wonder they could overtake a mobile brand like samsung .

congratulations to them.

18 Likes

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by OlofofoAdugbo1: 1:04pm On Apr 20, 2021
sunshineV:
carlcare customers

I think that's even the reason they could beat samsung and Xiaomi to it (in africa) , because TECNO MOBILE phones are cheap and also cheap to fix , unlike those other brand that you will use times two of what you buy the phone initially to fix just the broken screen.

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by QuickStandard: 1:07pm On Apr 20, 2021
We the association of proudly Tecno, accepts this award with great PRIDE

We buy condemned inverter batteries, scrapped batteries, dead batteries

Call or Whatsapp us on the contact below on Signature. Thanks

1 Like

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Franzinni: 1:07pm On Apr 20, 2021
As soon as techno started to SPARK.. samsSONG dropped the mic and took his sit.

even Buhari was SHOCked

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by FalseProphet1(m): 1:08pm On Apr 20, 2021
I see Samsung overtaking them before the end of this year to clinch that position. This I have seen.

1 Like

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Hndrrxxx(m): 1:08pm On Apr 20, 2021
But when will they stop dishing out dog shyts to their users shocked shocked shocked

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Jessicaos(f): 1:08pm On Apr 20, 2021
No cap

1 Like

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by nurez305(m): 1:08pm On Apr 20, 2021
Before nko, how many people can afford the price of Samsung in africa? People have to settle for cheaper useless phone just to be in the league of smartphone user

21 Likes

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Nobody: 1:08pm On Apr 20, 2021
grin grin grin funny
But considering other Sub-Saharan African countries can't afford big brands, may be true but likes of Samsung, IPhone don't brag thou

8 Likes

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Nobody: 1:08pm On Apr 20, 2021
Lies grin
Fake chinese data

Chinese always falsify data and the clueless Nigerians working for them will be jubilating

So if you outselll Apple it means your phone is better than iphone? Dummies it's just showed why companies are leaving .. nigerians became poorer in 2020. Less people could afford good phones hence had to settle with the garbage tecno and infinix phones

But once things improve for them they dump those stupid phones and buy good phones

Very foolish mumu company. If you want to know how nigerians really see your phones make it the same price as samsung and iphone then if you sell 3 pieces let me know . They use the cheapest lowest quality parts so they can sell cheap rubbish and call them phones

Pure water is the highest selling water in Nigeria doesn't make it the best it's just that people can't afford bottle water .

Very mumu company ..

Edited all the mumu quoting me should cry well
Davido infinix signed as ambassador is he uses infinix ? Never!!!

Hahahahahahahaha

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Crimrburster: 1:08pm On Apr 20, 2021
Hahahahah, on behalf of Africans I'm ashamed. Africa is now dumping ground for substandard Transsion phones.
Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by KoshCAD: 1:08pm On Apr 20, 2021
When it is cheap nko

1 Like

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by ictjobber: 1:08pm On Apr 20, 2021

Na Ashawo wey cheap pass dey attract the most customers — Swahili proverb

10 Likes

Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by careytommy37(m): 1:09pm On Apr 20, 2021
grin grin grin grin grin

In the name of Jesus, bye bye to jati jati
Re: TECNO Beats Samsung, Others To Claim Africa's Top Smartphone Brand 2020 by Pele10: 1:09pm On Apr 20, 2021
Hardwork pays, congratz tecno

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Introducing The Tecno D9 / My ONEPLUS 6 Just Arrived! Got Questions?! / SIM-NIN Linkage: NCC Gives Update On 11.2m Blocked Mobile Lines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.