Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities (8968 Views)

Parents, Students Lament High ‘Acceptance Fee’ In Public Universities / Abolish Acceptance Fees In Universities - FG Gets 7-Day Ultimatum One Love Group / What Is The Essence Of Acceptance Fees Paid By Students? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Amotolongbo(f): 4:38pm On Apr 21, 2021
The house of representatives has asked its committee on tertiary institution and services to investigate “high acceptance fees” charged by some government-owned tertiary institutions in the country.

Acceptance fees are usually paid by students offered admission in universities.

The resolution of the house to order an investigation into the payment of “high acceptance fees”, followed a motion moved by Julius Ihonvbere, lawmaker from Edo, during plenary session on Wednesday.

Leading the debate, Ihonvbere said arbitrary high acceptance fees charged by some public universities for new students across the country has become a matter of great concern to many families.

The lawmaker noted that acceptance fees in some institutions of learning have become “mere internal revenue-generating mechanisms, thus constituting an impediment to the smooth process of entry into universities”.

He added that if left unchecked, the situation may reduce the number of students gaining admission into tertiary institutions in the country.

“Also, aware that while some of the institutions are charging minimal fees, others are charging astronomically, whereas, others do not charge anything. Most institutions do not charge acceptance fee against tuition fees, thus raising the question as to whether the institutions were not established under
the same law,” he said.

“Worried that the dire consequences of exorbitant acceptance fees in our public universities have led to many indigent students losing their admission as a result of their inability to afford the fees.”

The motion was adopted after it was put to a voice vote by Femi Gbajabiamila, speaker of the house.

The lower legislative chamber also urged the federal government to increase funding of public universities.

Meanwhile, the lawmakers had, in November 2019, directed the National Universities Commission (NUC) to “abolish the payment of acceptance fees in all tertiary institutions”.

https://www.thecable.ng/reps-to-probe-payment-of-high-acceptance-fees-in-public-varsities/amp

1 Like

Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Bornsinner7: 4:59pm On Apr 21, 2021
Na very serious matter be this

You apply for school.. the school accept you then still tell you to accept their acceptance..

Who is accepting who?? no be school suppose accept your application then e dey left for you to resume or not

Some acceptance fee don reach you to pay school fee.. after you pay everything for some schools like the one wey I attend.. first semester them go send you back to house cuz of low gp say you no Sabi book and meanwhile na learn you come to learn

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Amotolongbo(f): 5:07pm On Apr 21, 2021
Money which is not accounted for by the school

2 Likes

Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by GreaterFuture3: 6:39pm On Apr 21, 2021
Okay, Probe it
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by NwaNimo1(m): 6:39pm On Apr 21, 2021

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by GIANTPLUSHUB: 6:40pm On Apr 21, 2021
Okay naaw
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Chijeep(m): 6:40pm On Apr 21, 2021
Nigeria Government and mouth odour are like 5 and 6.
Their talk dey smell but it's not useful in any aspect

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by saferoom: 6:40pm On Apr 21, 2021
Okay
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by MasterKG(m): 6:40pm On Apr 21, 2021
good one from them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Tonyx5(m): 6:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
Omo na real matter be this o
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
grin
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by aj1bola: 6:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
wen will dey probe dem own high allowances?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Dailymice: 6:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
sad
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by adonnei: 6:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
seriously they should look into this matter
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by TimmyTen(m): 6:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
Very necessary ... hidden charges should be scrapped from Federal schools.
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by BlessedNuel: 6:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
Better oooh...even my school don top money ontop many things.

They just dey milk us anyhow
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
Bornsinner7:

You apply for school.. the school accept you then still tell you to accept their acceptance..

Who is accepting who?? no be school suppose accept your application then e dey left for you to resume or not

Some acceptance fee don reach you to pay school fee.. after you pay everything for some schools like the one wey I attend.. first semester them go send you back to house cuz of low gp say you no Sabi book and meanwhile na learn you come to learn

grin grin I share your sentiment. If I sabi book, I no go come school. As I no come sabi and you still chase me commot for school sake of low gp, where make i come go learn bayi?

6 Likes

Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by stayclearofme: 6:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
Bornsinner7:

Lol... This is true but very funny.. cheesy
Meanwhile nothing will come out of the probe na just bragging. The same way they couldn't put an end to post UTME test... Toothless bulldogs.

1 Like

Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Jerekre(m): 6:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
Nice one. But Reps, what of your high salaries?

2 Likes

Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by agboifeanyi242(m): 6:41pm On Apr 21, 2021
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Seniorwriter(m): 6:42pm On Apr 21, 2021
They should probe their own misappropriation of tax payers monies by the same government they co administrate! Useless Mofos!!!!
Nigerian politicians are so wired to deliberating and not implementing!

@Seniorwriter

2 Likes

Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by elotajohn1(m): 6:44pm On Apr 21, 2021
While their YAHOO SALARIES AND ALLOWANCES remain unperturbed
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by owobokiri(m): 6:44pm On Apr 21, 2021
After they are done with database for cows?
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Solsix(m): 6:44pm On Apr 21, 2021
I pity people getting admission now, they are being milked until nothing is left
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by mytime24(f): 6:45pm On Apr 21, 2021
They shld probe their own salaries and allowance
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Zmark: 6:45pm On Apr 21, 2021
The country is fast sinking.
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 21, 2021
Very nice, i like this motion.
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by misterjosh(m): 6:49pm On Apr 21, 2021
Institutions that ain't getting adequate funding before... Unah well done.

These universities with their plenty "intellectuals" can't solve their own problems, yet are expected to produce individuals that will solve the nation's problems...

Last last Nigerians are just individuallly brilliant people, the hostile environment we live in has forced that on us.
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by revived: 6:50pm On Apr 21, 2021
Nah 80k I pay that year sef
As cert no pay, man hasta enter street hustle
Re: Reps To Probe Payment Of ‘high Acceptance Fees’ In Public Varsities by Odogwu46: 6:52pm On Apr 21, 2021
This is applaudable, every institution is looking for means to milk out students which is very common now. I paid acceptance fee of 50k for masters programme.

When will all these stop?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best 9 Ways To Raise A Fallen Cgpa (must Read) / National Open University Vs Olabisi Onabanju University / UNILAG & UI Shine At Google’s Online Marketing Competition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.