Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,358 members, 7,780,978 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:45 AM

The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 (17609 Views)

Real Madrid Leads Early Power Rankings Of The European Super League / How The New European Super League Will Work / UEFA Releases Statement About Breakaway European Super League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by Nobody: 5:33am On Apr 22, 2021
Thanks to the OP

The problem with the ESL for me is

1.It would have sucked up money from smaller clubs.Everyone and his mother would run to invest in ESL, at everyone's expense.

2.I'm sorry, but a league where no one gets relegated? Yes, American sports does that, but at the end of the day, it promotes stagnancy (to me!)
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by ClassicMG(m): 5:43am On Apr 22, 2021
jaxxy:
Hmmm. The Truth is people, investors, big clubs as u may call them invested and still investing money into football to make it what we all love 2day. If u do not acknowledge that it means u don’t know anything about Football.

They expect and need commensurate returns to keep improving and developing new talents and the game. They build world class stadiums thanks to corona nobody has sat in them for a year and counting. undecided

If u think that is a joke it is not A joke it’s serious business issues. When Perez said he’s trying to save Football I can Clearly see where he’s coming from. Football is not a cheap sports.

I still believe ESL is the future bt it has to have a better sense of FairPlay in its structure. And I see several ways to achieve this already.

Who doesn’t want the big leagues and big money! While growing the sports.
and what happen to that team from the lower league who's dream and ambition is to one day play among the big teams ??
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by gnykelly(m): 5:50am On Apr 22, 2021
The central theme of the debacle is MONEY.
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by jaxxy(m): 5:51am On Apr 22, 2021
ClassicMG:
and what happen to that team from the lower league who's dream and ambition is to one day play among the big teams ??

That’s why I said more FairPlay must be incorporated bt to play in the league u must have 2 criteria be the best sports wise or have the financial backing to enter the league.

The competition becomes 2 ways u must either work hard to enter or pay extra. Those are still fair to the game and also to investors. It’s a win win.
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by JerryLekki: 5:53am On Apr 22, 2021
David Dein first proposed it in November 1992

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by Dharniel600(m): 5:57am On Apr 22, 2021
Trueigbo:
They sacked my man Mou cos of this and yet they pulled out
Mou was sacked because of his poor form. Wetin concern Tottenham with ESL self? Their mates no dey there
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by Shamsuddeen1051: 6:04am On Apr 22, 2021
brosom:
The way FIFA/UEFA tackled this ESL like a plague and it was dead on arrival baffles me.

This is how we should tackle that Fulani man of a president or anything like him come 2023 like a plague out of office/political existence.

Wow, my first ever FTC Since 2017.

Never give up, ur breakthrough is near!!

anti Buhari u need deliverance
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by arantess: 6:11am On Apr 22, 2021
brosom:
The way FIFA/UEFA tackled this ESL like a plague and it was dead on arrival baffles me.

This is how we should tackle that Fulani man of a president or anything like him come 2023 like a plague out of office/political existence.

Wow, my first ever FTC Since 2017.

Never give up, ur breakthrough is near!!

Yea
If only they tackled racism with such vigour
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by Starcrest1: 6:18am On Apr 22, 2021
jaxxy:
Hmmm. The Truth is people, investors, big clubs as u may call them invested and still investing money into football to make it what we all love 2day. If u do not acknowledge that it means u don’t know anything about Football.

They expect and need commensurate returns to keep improving and developing new talents and the game. They build world class stadiums thanks to corona nobody has sat in them for a year and counting. undecided

If u think that is a joke it is not A joke it’s serious business issues. When Perez said he’s trying to save Football I can Clearly see where he’s coming from. Football is not a cheap sports.

I still believe ESL is the future bt it has to have a better sense of FairPlay in its structure. And I see several ways to achieve this already.

They should consider the fans because without them, their football development means nothing.
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by Starcrest1: 6:23am On Apr 22, 2021
humberjade:

It will keep coming and it will keep bn shutdown except all major stakeholders are carried along...after all, it was the greed of these big teams that bastardized the transfer market...where you see an average one season wonder player with a price tag like 70m. They made it that way, so they should suck it, and live with it.

Tell dem o. After wasting money on flops, they now want to shortchange the smaller teams because of their insatiable greed. If FIFA had granted them this Super league, they will still ginger for power league.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by Donvic4u(m): 6:39am On Apr 22, 2021
Starcrest1:

Tell dem o. After wasting money on flops, they now want to shortchange the smaller teams because of their insatiable greed. If FIFA had granted them this Super league, they will still ginger for power league.

Which smaller teams are you talking about?

Super league is alternative to champions league and not the main country's league
BTW FIFA did not and cannot stop the establishment of the super league, the clubs backed out because of fans reaction.
And when last did you see fans in stadia, so how are clubs supposed to generate revenue when uefa and FIFA eat up all the money.

Football is business, they just need to be more fair to other teams like Guardiola said there'll be no competition
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by Starcrest1: 6:44am On Apr 22, 2021
Donvic4u:

Super league is alternative to champions league and not the main country's league
BTW FIFA did not and cannot stop the establishment of the super league, the clubs backed out because of fans reaction.
And when last did you see fans in stadia, so how are clubs supposed to generate revenue when uefa and FIFA eat up all the money.

Football is business, they just need to be more fair to other teams like Guardiola said there'll be no competition

If money is causing problems, then they should sit down and discuss with FIFA on the way forward and not try to be renegades
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by uniquetechng: 6:48am On Apr 22, 2021
Donvic4u:

Smaller teams participate in the Champions League from qualification phase to the group stages thereby generating revenues to help them financially, ESL idea was based on greed.
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by brosom(m): 7:03am On Apr 22, 2021
Shamsuddeen1051:
anti Buhari u need deliverance
Be deceiving ur self while the world has left u behind..
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by somehow: 7:15am On Apr 22, 2021
They should stop paying their players ridiculous wages.

Maybe they will survive their financial woes if they Learn how to pay players modestly like they do in Germany.

How can a player be earning €500k per week because he plays football?

5 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by infogenius(m): 7:18am On Apr 22, 2021
Beautiful exposition on the ESL.

Just as this politics play out in Sports like football so it plays out between the Elites and masses in this country.

The ESL project is not dead,it will resurface again because the big clubs are into the business to entertain and make more money.
Any interest that does not guarantee profits for them is an enemy.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by obinna4Jesus(m): 7:20am On Apr 22, 2021
The reality is.....

People have not realized that if you are looking for some extra cash to add to your monthly pay & don't have so much time to spare...Then you need an online business.

Not any type of online business oh, but Affiliate marketing precisely...why?

- It is easy to start.
- It requires very little or no capital.
- Scaling up is fun.
- It eventually gives you the freedom you need.
- And most importantly, it pays handsomely....�

Interested in this , Whatsapp me on 08034760680.
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by Bundaweber: 7:27am On Apr 22, 2021
na greed kill this ESL idea. dem for cut the money for each team in half and double the clubs participating. the founding teams for still remain without relegation because na them take risk. the top 2 teams among the founders for get placed in group of the other 20 new teams(qualification almost assured for them) while the rest play among themselves for groups. the remaining teams for come from cup competitions(this one go calm fans down as small teams like Grimsby, Walsall fit get chance to qualify and take in huge sums without waiting for "investors" to raise their profile).
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by airminem(f): 7:32am On Apr 22, 2021
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by Nobody: 7:33am On Apr 22, 2021
50million email list for sale
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by Rossonero: 7:39am On Apr 22, 2021
jaxxy:

well said.
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by g4gerald: 7:43am On Apr 22, 2021
bdchange:
The idea of a super league will continue to surface has long as the big clubs contribute alot in paying huge wages to players and agents. Just imagine paying $120m to buy a player, treat the player from subsequent injuries ontop mighty wages I will still pay him. Then uefa and fifa will have one mumu qualification and asked the players to go and represent their nations where they will pay little or no money like Nigeria. The player might come back with injuries or tired leg yet I must still pay him the huge wages despite i might lost his form for the rest of the season. This is unacceptable as a business man. He who plays the piper dictates the tune. Simple solution is let me as a top club have a say in the sharing formula when it comes to distribution of revenues else as Wenger put it..it is inevitable to stop the super league in the future.
U're right from bizness point of view, but on the other side, it kills football. Football is better enjoyed wen it is competitive, wen u compete and win on merit, only then will u be proud of ur effort. Not wen there is a guarantee qualification and no relegation even if u play rubbish, with dat type of mind set, even the players will not take the league serious because weda they play well or not the club will still cash out big. U sef wey dey watch the game will not enjoy it cos it lacks intrigue

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by ruggedtimi(m): 7:48am On Apr 22, 2021
mayormick:
The truth is most of these big clubs spend money in terms of signing players and agents fees, it is now becoming more difficult to sustain. Seriously, Super league may not be the solution but honestly something must be done. The moments the eyes of the big clubs really opened was during the pandemic when revenues from Fans and selling of merchandise was inevitably blocked and most of their major employees(especially the players) that earn large wages refused pay cut which to me seems unreasonable. I know the idea of the super league is not totally dead and is still going to spring up sooner or later because the money involve is too good to be ignore walai
Na agents be the real cause of the financial crisis

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by lexy2014: 7:55am On Apr 22, 2021
jaxxy:

Pls what is d investment that u say d big clubs are investing?
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:25am On Apr 22, 2021
I was attracted to the world cup write up....it clearly means the world cup was meant for only European and South American teams.

I wonder then, when is Africa going to win it?
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by naptu2: 9:10am On Apr 22, 2021
There are other proposals that have the same type of ideology that's behind the European Super League. For example:

1) There have been many proposals that Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic should join the English League. The two Glasgow teams are the perennial champions of Scotland and the people behind the idea believe that the Scottish League is too small for them and that they would make more money and play against teams that are at their level if they play in the English Premier League. FIFA and the Scottish FA have repeatedly blocked any such moves. (What would happen to the smaller Scottish teams if Rangers and Celtic leave?)

2) There have also been many proposals that the regular season El Classico should be played in other countries like the US and in places like the Middle East and East Asia. However, FIFA have repeatedly blocked such proposals in order to protect the domestic leagues in those countries.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by mayormick(m): 9:18am On Apr 22, 2021
ruggedtimi:
Na agents be the real cause of the financial crisis
Yes, you are correct
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by nzube25779: 9:27am On Apr 22, 2021
I was attracted to the world cup write up....it clearly means the world cup was meant for only European and South American teams.I wonder then, when is Africa going to win it?
Re: The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 by sureteeboy(m): 9:31am On Apr 22, 2021
Trueigbo:
They sacked my man Mou cos of this and yet they pulled out
They sacked Mourinho because of his woeful results, and nothing more

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Southampton Vs Manchester City (0 - 3) On 30th November 2014 / Portsmouth Vs Arsenal :FA Cup (0 - 2) On 2nd March 2020 / Which Football Club You Love Watching But Do Not Support?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.