Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,019 members, 7,806,981 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker (20840 Views)

Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread / Do You Pay Tax As A Remote Worker? / My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by The5DME(m): 7:45pm On Apr 23, 2021
qtguru:

lol funny guy, Window 10 is stable, rarely does it crash but you can always port to linux. Linux is very lightweight and does the job.
Good evening sir.
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by FishFisher: 7:52pm On Apr 23, 2021
Charpell:

Yeah sure
Use udemy and Youtube, thats how i learnt
owk oo
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Rafaela1: 7:53pm On Apr 23, 2021
qtguru:

Personally this is what works for me, so it is not a definitive guide:

1. Always have a Side project something meaningful
2. Tilt towards platform driven development e.g Shopify, SalesForce, Moodle, Wix
3. Try and builld something to sell e.g Themes, Product, Mobile App
4. Join Upworks and based on skills requested, ramp up and do one of those task and put in GitHub and attach to your profile, so there is evidence
5. Join a community, e.g I belong to Processwire where I help and sometimes write guides for me, it has exposed me to opportunity
6. Read and follow developer trends e.g
7. Get a Domiciliary account and a USD Account Wise
8. Create a small company and try to make some mini products and sell. e.g WordPress is a good market if you can get over the code

All these involve alot of hard work and sometimes it might require collaboration, one person cannot do it alone , it is possible but better for developers to work together. My own opinion

Take with a pinch of salt but it is working for me, also decorate your LinkedIn. I am currently working on a side project I will create a thread here for it.

THanks a bunch. I'm grateful

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Nobody: 8:06pm On Apr 23, 2021
qtguru:

lol funny guy, Window 10 is stable, rarely does it crash but you can always port to linux. Linux is very lightweight and does the job.
it's an old Core i5 that has been running for almost 5 years.
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 23, 2021
jeyem:
Can anyone teach me how to use python
Compensation await my tutor. Thank you
I can't teach you Python to bring you up to speed. Then point you to the way to continue to develop yourself
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 8:36pm On Apr 23, 2021
SageX1444:
it's an old Core i5 that has been running for almost 5 years.
same here, I run Core i5 too on Linux and it's fast , Windows resources are a lot, what is the ram ?
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 23, 2021
qtguru:

same here, I run Core i5 too on Linux and it's fast , Windows resources are a lot, what is the ram ?
4GB. 250 HDD. How do I install Linux?

PS: it's HP ProBook 6460b
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Spiff20(m): 8:53pm On Apr 23, 2021
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 9:11pm On Apr 23, 2021
SageX1444:
4GB. 250 HDD. How do I install Linux?

PS: it's HP ProBook 6460b
if you have a usb, create a Live USB and download a linux iso, you can use a tool called rufus,but ensure you create a seperate partition so you don't format your windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj840NQLMyU
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by nowpresence(f): 9:11pm On Apr 23, 2021
qtguru:

Amen o, because it is not an easy ride, but one code at a time. I want to create a thread that might excite you guys, but it might be boring but it is interesting to me, building your own Desktop UI for Linux with AwesomeWM and Lua
I am interested. mention me when you are already

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by NarnieAceTech: 9:18pm On Apr 23, 2021
qtguru:

No but if the person can try Hubstaff, but it is a patience game.

Hi, I am interested in your upcoming project. Please, tag me when it's ready to be launched. I have always wanted a remote job but too scared because I feel I am not good enough. How did you do it? I mean how did you get the job when you didn't have the required skill
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by ibinaboonline: 9:32pm On Apr 23, 2021
Second to the best thing that ever happened to me. But you're asking for way too many info. I'll only comment on the time zone thing. Most reputable companies abroad have dedicated platforms they use for team communications and work assign. A manager could request a Google Meet or Zoom meet at say, 7pm FST which may be around 4am WAT. I don't complain or excuse myself. Hard work pays and they notice your hard work. As long as you equip yourself properly with pertinent gadgets like an iPad, a solid smartphone, and your laptop, you're all set.
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by FunnyDude(m): 9:52pm On Apr 23, 2021
Online work made me become who I am today.

I ain't revealing any information here though.

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Topgt: 9:53pm On Apr 23, 2021
grin
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Topgt: 9:55pm On Apr 23, 2021
Spiff20:
How much?
Pay 25 if you get it b4 sunday
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by berbs: 11:15pm On Apr 23, 2021
The only problem I'm facing right now is power. So sad.
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by dauddy97(m): 4:45am On Apr 24, 2021
jeyem:
Can anyone teach me how to use python
Compensation await my tutor. Thank you
good day. Sincerely, you go the right person pinging you. I tutor python for data science and machine learning. This is my WhatsApp number o81 49 42 84 9o
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by MonogramMaster(m): 7:06am On Apr 24, 2021
leksdigital:
Nice, I've been a freelancer for over 5 years, I have done different niches , you just have to be so dedicated and disciplined.

Right now I focus on writing. If you are interested in learning about freelancing check out www.lekeadelaja.com or you can join my freelance group here

Visit www.lekeadelaja.com/group for class on freelancing and making money online. I will teach you everything I've done in the last 7 years that has made me at least $1,000 online.

Please this is not by force oo. However if you have questions you can always quote me and I will still respond to you.

We will all win

1. How long you have been doing remote work
Over 7 years

2. Time Zone of Work/Nigerian Time
From 10am to 2am Nigerian time (I always sleep late)

3. Current Pay
Hmmm wont say but it depends, some months thousands of dollars other months a couple of dollars.

4. Type ie permanent or temp worker
I love temp work

5. Duration of Work if temp work
I work when I wake and sleep pm work lol

6. Your Area of Specialization(Your line of work):
Writing, research i love easy jobs

7. Remote Work sites you got your job:
Upwork all the way

8. Your Nigerian Internet Experience
I have all the Internet networks swift, smile , spectranet, airtel, MTN. Etisalat. Yes i use depending on the one that's messing up

9. Recommendations for those looking for Remote Jobs
First of all go and build your online skill on coursera and udemy.

I can mentor a couple of people. Please reach out to me
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Nobody: 8:01am On Apr 24, 2021
qtguru:
if you have a usb, create a Live USB and download a linux iso, you can use a tool called rufus,but ensure you create a seperate partition so you don't format your windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj840NQLMyU
USB Hard drive? I don't. Can I use an SD card?
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Emmawarner500: 8:14am On Apr 24, 2021
I'm also a remote worker doing Digital Marketing for a US based agency I have nearly a 8-9hours time gap, Yeah its been difficult in start but these things will be settled with a time or you will be familiar to deals such things easily. The only problem you face while doing remote job is to tackle communication gap, in some situation you need to give or require details about any task or job so mostly you have a chat option only so this will be frustrating to write and essay about your problem and discuss only through chat most of the times.
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 10:02am On Apr 24, 2021
SageX1444:
USB Hard drive? I don't. Can I use an SD card?
Depends if it is an original SD card, else you will get a corrupted copy, and also the speed read as you will be booting from the SD Card, it should work
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 24, 2021
qtguru:

Depends if it is an original SD card, else you will get a corrupted copy, and also the speed read as you will be booting from the SD Card, it should work
Okay thanks, I'll download the file now. The SD should be blank by default before the Rufus installation?
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by cicikhemy(f): 11:00am On Apr 24, 2021
leksdigital:
Nice, I've been a freelancer for over 5 years, I have done different niches , you just have to be so dedicated and disciplined.

Right now I focus on writing. If you are interested in learning about freelancing check out www.lekeadelaja.com or you can join my freelance group here

Visit www.lekeadelaja.com/group for class on freelancing and making money online. I will teach you everything I've done in the last 7 years that has made me at least $1,000 online.

Please this is not by force oo. However if you have questions you can always quote me and I will still respond to you.

We will all win

Over 7 years

3. Current Pay
Hmmm wont say but it depends, some months thousands of dollars other months a couple of dollars.

I love temp work

Upwork all the way

I have all the Internet networks swift, smile , spectranet, airtel, MTN. Etisalat. Yes i use depending on the one that's messing up

wink
leksdigital:

We will all win

Over 7 years

3. Current Pay

I love temp work

Upwork all the way

Firstly, thanks for the useful info. I have always wanted to study a course on Coursera that would help me build my writing skills because I love anything English but I'm a bit confused on which course to go for.

Secondly, do I need a laptop to do any of the aforementioned?

Thanks a lot!
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 11:06am On Apr 24, 2021
SageX1444:
Okay thanks, I'll download the file now. The SD should be blank by default before the Rufus installation?

Yes , start with XUbuntu or Lubuntu they are both very lightweight, because sooner or later you will enter cloud hosting (For complex applications (Docker + PHP ), and Unix is the closest to the cloud
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by cicikhemy(f): 11:14am On Apr 24, 2021
leksdigital:
, kindly join the group

Please, how do I join the group??
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Nobody: 11:35am On Apr 24, 2021
qtguru:

Yes , start with XUbuntu or Lubuntu they are both very lightweight, because sooner or later you will enter cloud hosting (For complex applications (Docker + PHP ), and Unix is the closest to the cloud
The Lubuntu file I saw online is just 700mb while the Ubuntu is 2.6GB so which one is the right one?
I'm kinda confused.
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 11:38am On Apr 24, 2021
SageX1444:
The Lubuntu file I saw online is just 700mb while the Ubuntu is 2.6GB so which one is the right one?
I'm kinda confused.

No difference only the distro and additional softwares but they all use the same Linux kernel
Xubuntu = Xfce
Lubuntu = Lxde or lxqt
Kubuntu = Kde plasma
Ubuntu = unity/ gnome
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 24, 2021
qtguru:

No difference only the distro and additional softwares but they all use the same Linux kernel
Xubuntu = Xfce
Lubuntu = Lxde or lxqt
Kubuntu = Kde plasma
Ubuntu = unity/ gnome

Okay. I'm sorry if my questions are becoming too much, which do you suggest I download and install?
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 12:16pm On Apr 24, 2021
SageX1444:
Okay. I'm sorry if my questions are becoming too much, which do you suggest I download and install?

Too much question ke, how else does one learn
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/whats-the-difference-between-linux-distributions-if-theyre-all-linux-makeuseof-explains/
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 12:16pm On Apr 24, 2021
SageX1444:

Go with Lubuntu
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by KangaIye: 12:24pm On Apr 24, 2021
Please which skill can I learn in a short time, that is also lucrative in remote work. Thanks
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Wierdceo: 12:42pm On Apr 24, 2021
Nobody is talking about the scams. I got scammed twice in two months. Hit hard at my motivation. Be careful out there remote workers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) / Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google / Please Review My Price comparison engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.