Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker (20851 Views)

Remote Worker? Please Open This Thread / Do You Pay Tax As A Remote Worker? / My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 1:03pm On Apr 24, 2021
Wierdceo:
Nobody is talking about the scams. I got scammed twice in two months. Hit hard at my motivation. Be careful out there remote workers.

Scammed for free work ?
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by africonn: 1:09pm On Apr 24, 2021
qtguru:

Scammed for free work ?

Yeah, it happens a lot. In fact the whole freelancing market is a scam, a mini max games. You get cheated a lot just to get paid.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 1:13pm On Apr 24, 2021
africonn:

Yeah, it happens a lot. In fact the whole freelancing market is a scam, a mini max games. You get cheated a lot just to get paid.

What escrow did you use ? it happens though it's why I prefer to sell than freelance.

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by wealthyhenry(m): 4:39pm On Apr 24, 2021
dauddy97:

good day. Sincerely, you go the right person pinging you. I tutor python for data science and machine learning. This is my WhatsApp number o8o 49 42 84 9o
This no. is not on WhatsApp
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by africonn: 6:48pm On Apr 24, 2021
qtguru:

What escrow did you use? it happens though it's why I prefer to sell than freelance.
Fvck shit, what do you sell
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 6:54pm On Apr 24, 2021
africonn:

Fvck shit, what do you sell

* Planning to Sell

Shopify Themes and Apps for now then later Moodle since those are something I know how to do. Moodle you get good jobs because it is very rare for people to create themes, I can guarantee you that the moment you create one, you can sell to alot of people running Moodle. it is just complicated. I have one in works but Moodle Development is old PHP Code and very complex. so alot of research while coding.

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Djtm(m): 8:32pm On Apr 24, 2021
1. How long you have been doing remote work
Two years

2. Time Zone of Work/Nigerian Time
GMT+1

3. Current Pay
Good money

4. Type ie permanent or temp worker
Permanent contract sort of

5. Duration of Work if temp work

6. Your Area of Specialization(Your line of work):
Full stack software development

7. Remote Work sites you got your job:
Current one was gotten from weworkremotely

8. Your Nigerian Internet Experience
I've been embarrassed many times.

9. Recommendations for those looking for Remote Jobs
You have to apply for a crap load of jobs and not get tired. Aim for at least 50 applications every week. Learn from past failures and keep improving.

5 Likes

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Wierdceo: 1:38am On Apr 25, 2021
qtguru:

Scammed for free work ?
What exactly are you asking? I mean not getting paid even after dedicating time and working hard to deliver quality jobs.

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 7:12am On Apr 25, 2021
Wierdceo:

What exactly are you asking? I mean not getting paid even after dedicating time and working hard to deliver quality jobs.
Okay it has happened to me too
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by chuddyforlife(m): 7:54am On Apr 25, 2021
hi
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Nicoswit(m): 3:15pm On Apr 25, 2021
Wierdceo:

Which platform did it happen?
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Nobody: 12:46am On Apr 26, 2021
qtguru:

Go with Lubuntu

What do you think about ReactNative?
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 12:51pm On Apr 26, 2021
Nana264:

What do you think about ReactNative?

Personally: I prefer Flutter but ReactNative is a good source of income if you have the skills, but for someone like me, I do not like it. I prefer Flutter
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Nobody: 8:35am On Apr 27, 2021
qtguru:

Personally: I prefer Flutter but ReactNative is a good source of income if you have the skills, but for someone like me, I do not like it. I prefer Flutter

Why don't you like ReactNative?
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Wierdceo: 7:59pm On Apr 27, 2021
Nicoswit:

Which platform did it happen?
One was on this platform, the other was freelancer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 8:08pm On Apr 27, 2021
Nana264:

Why don't you like ReactNative?

Read the Airbnb React to Native article, I encountered the same issue when i tried to pick RN, I realized that using Native to render UI from JavaScript is slow especially when you are now dealing with Animation, then the level of abstraction is crazy that if a code broke, I would have no idea where to start from, Native or React code. But Flutter writes directly to pixel, meaning Flutter render any UI on any OS regardless, and with Flutter you have access to Skia, so you can do some crazy UI. To me, RN apps are nice but slow compared to Flutter/Native and Flutter is not bad also.

https://medium.com/reflectly-engineering/reflectly-from-react-native-to-flutter-2e3dffced2ea

Personally it makes no sense to write RN unless you want to cashout or take alot of jobs. Flutter is more easier to write and the speed is amazing

2 Likes

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by udemzeus(m): 9:25pm On Apr 27, 2021
I don't know why Nigerians are so shameless , one of the reasons why we suffer is that we don't tell ourselves the truth.

to be honest I have worked remotely and it was not a full time job.

for a Nigerian company sha, all we did was facilitate online classes.

I was paid 20k per class, most times, I did up to 8 classes and I got paid.

I have tried working overseas as a web developer, seems as if they want a machine to work for them.

just in case you are trying to get a remote job, the pay is between $1500 to $ $3000 a month.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by udemzeus(m): 9:26pm On Apr 27, 2021
Wierdceo:

One was on this platform, the other was freelancer

react native is the best, it uses JavaScript, flutter uses dart, a serprerate programming language.

learn react native
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by qtguru(m): 3:22pm On Apr 28, 2021
udemzeus:

react native is the best, it uses JavaScript, flutter uses dart, a serprerate programming language.

learn react native

Yeah if you know JS then RN, what we want to build fluid animation is a must. So not knocking RN but not for me

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by princewilly007(m): 2:50pm On Mar 17, 2022
Hmmm you say..
flames01:

Do you want ojuu4u to call you an internet fraudster? cheesy

You better go and look for a physical work like bricklaying, learn work like mechanic or sell tomatoes in the market so that ojuu4u will not call you a fraudster.

As far as his limited mind is concerned, anything outside a physical business is internet fraud. grin

Very childish and stupid mindset. undecided
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by jidex4life: 10:36am On Sep 06, 2022
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Searchingvictor: 2:58pm On Jan 03, 2023
rainmoredays:
You have a daughter and you're here as a family man embarrassing yourself with first to comment nonsense

Boss good afternoon sir.
Please sir, i solicit for your help. I do sell poultry feed. Just last month, i lost some money which want to crumble my business. Please, help me with any amount to keep up with my source of income. I beg of you sir
Your source of income will not be cut short by evil people. Help please
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Towbaba500(m): 8:39am On Jan 04, 2023
udemzeus:
I don't know why Nigerians are so shameless , one of the reasons why we suffer is that we don't tell ourselves the truth.

to be honest I have worked remotely and it was not a full time job.

for a Nigerian company sha, all we did was facilitate online classes.

I was paid 20k per class, most times, I did up to 8 classes and I got paid.

I have tried working overseas as a web developer, seems as if they want a machine to work for them.

just in case you are trying to get a remote job, the pay is between $1500 to $ $3000 a month.
Is the job still available

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by LittleBigDick(m): 5:46am On Jan 06, 2023
akin101:
I am curious as to how developers and other career minded people source and keep remote jobs. I would like to ask remote job workers what their experience has been like getting and keeping remote work especially with different time zones, internet and other experiences.

If you are a remote job worker commenting on this thread, please do provide relevant information and include the following;

9am to 12pm

3. Current Pay
$175,000

Temp

2 years and 6 months

Kernel dev

Company career page

Booted up Parrot and load aircrack to brute force lame ass Wi-Fi's you

Build projects ( helpful and meaningful projects)
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Think9ja(m): 3:09am On Sep 22, 2023
Mopolchi:
Stressful and I get worked up at the end of the day

Hello good morning
I just got a remote job interview invitation for an entry level software developer role.

Please, from your experience, what can you tell me or what should I know or do to scale through this interview?

Also, how many other stages of this interview are waiting for me
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Think9ja(m): 3:20am On Sep 22, 2023
qtguru:
4 years working from home

10AM - 5pm
3. Current Pay
A lot
Permanent Contract Worker ( As long as I don't get sacked)
N/A
Svelte Development / Frontend at work
Andela, Upworks, LinkedIn and Angeljobs
Fiberone, 24/7 at 10Mbps , I have MTN as backup and Spectranet (expired) Internet is very fast for me.
LinkedIn, work on a small project and advertise on your github join a community. Study Algorithm and Data Structure, also build a small company and work on products, eventually someone will be intrested in your project if it has values. But for me coming up with Startup Ideas is hard for me, I only know how to come up with ideas for platforms or extending platforms and there is money there, but it takes alot of time to code.

Hello Boss good morning
I just got an interview invitation for a remote junior software developer role. Please, how do I prepare? What questions do they normally ask? What can I do to get this job? What are the do's and don'ts? Just help me with any tip on how to scale through this interview. .
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Mopolchi: 9:08am On Sep 22, 2023
Think9ja:

Hello good morning
I just got a remote job interview invitation for an entry level software developer role.

Please, from your experience, what can you tell me or what should I know or do to scale through this interview?

Also, how many other stages of this interview are waiting for me
I don't know the company your are interviewing for. But if your company is a popular one, try to know more about it by reading about it on its website or on nairaland. Learn the basics of what a software developer does and your past achievements in the role before. Be ready to tell us (them) about yourself. Salary expectations will be asked. Then, any question at the end, from your readings about them, you can ask them. The issue about working from home is meeting your targets with the whole 24 hours rather than 8 am to 5pm kind of hours to work with. Electricity is another challenge. Personal distraction is another problem.
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Think9ja(m): 9:29am On Sep 22, 2023
Mopolchi:
I don't know the company your are interviewing for. But if your company is a popular one, try to know more about it by reading about it on its website or on nairaland. Learn the basics of what a software developer does and your past achievements in the role before. Be ready to tell us (them) about yourself. Salary expectations will be asked. Then, any question at the end, from your readings about them, you can ask them. The issue about working from home is meeting your targets with the whole 24 hours rather than 8 am to 5pm kind of hours to work with. Electricity is another challenge. Personal distraction is another problem.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. About the salary expectation... That question is usually tricky. How much is "fair'? The last time an HR asked me this question, he never replied me again after I told him my salary expectation. Is $5k/month too much? I just want to get every information right. Thanks in anticipation
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Think9ja(m): 10:01am On Sep 22, 2023
Opexzy:

Just got my first remote job, I will be resuming on the 26th of this month... I am little bit nervous but I know I will fit in no time, though it's a new role in my career: Software Architect.

I have sent you a PM, I would like to connect with you.

How was the interview like?
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by airsaylongcome: 5:37pm On Sep 22, 2023
@qtguru

Are u still using FibreOne 10Mbps? What's your monthly bill? Is that 10Mbps guaranteed or "up to"?
Re: Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker by Donpre(m): 6:14pm On Sep 22, 2023
Think9ja:

Thank you so much for getting back to me. About the salary expectation... That question is usually tricky. How much is "fair'? The last time an HR asked me this question, he never replied me again after I told him my salary expectation. Is $5k/month too much? I just want to get every information right. Thanks in anticipation
5k for an entry role? LMAO wetin dey give una this kain mind

Forget all the fairytales you've heard here and on twitter. very very few people earn 5k monthly, even 3k monthly is a very very solid salary in 90% of the world and while you're try not to lowball yourself, you shouldn't go asking for an amount that make you sound ridiculous like you've never held a job before.

Realistically, 2k is a fair ask for an entry position depending on if its a company in a good country in the west, aside that, set your goals on 1k and 1.5k and work your way up with improving your skills and a resume.

My 2 cents

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022) / Why Africa May Never Produce A Facebook, Groupon, Zynga Or Google / Association Of Programmers In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.