Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,546 members, 7,801,525 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? (19423 Views)

What Challenges Did You Face When Starting Your Business? / 3 Common Mistakes People Make When Starting A Business / Share Your Business Start-up Experience:what Challenges Did You Face? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Benda59: 12:33am On Apr 26, 2021
Nigeria was the major challenge... She's made all her inhabitants very greedy, short sighted, mischievous and as a result counter productive. Agbero will extort from you, business partners will dupe you, even the police you will go to for help will first charge you (exhorbitantly) and then take sides with your offender if he has more money than you. Business inside 9ja na maleria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by hosemujica: 12:46am On Apr 26, 2021
buygala:
Have alternative power sources

Dont Sell on credit

Dont Sleep with your sales girl

Haa! Take am easy baba too much experience de worry you.

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by hosemujica: 12:52am On Apr 26, 2021
ednut1:
Human beings aka staff
They are worse than Nepa.

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by hosemujica: 12:54am On Apr 26, 2021
TheLionofLasigi:
Basically dealing with niggerians.
You are experienced my friend.If you hire Nigerians to work for you in a cash business, you will quickly realise that Nepa is your friend.

8 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by lagonovo: 1:32am On Apr 26, 2021
You will get a crystal clear practical understanding of the popular saying "Nigerians are the problem with Nigeria!".

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Yankee101: 1:34am On Apr 26, 2021
In Nigeria:
From CAC wahala (though a bit better now) to,
2. Negative banking finance
3. Diligent and honest staff
4. Energy to keep up
5. Multuple taxation
6. Bribes, Bribes and bribes
7. Changing govt with changing regulations
8. Insecurity (was not too bad then, but now...)
9. Low purchasing power of potential customers
10. Power, power, power
11. Crooked contractors and suppliers
12. Pay small small
13. Family stepping in and you know the rest

In the US

1. I register my business on my bed, online
2. Create the website in 24hrs
3. Upload products over the weekend
Etc

The major set backs are competing priorities and staying power

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by lagonovo: 1:36am On Apr 26, 2021
Yankee101:
In Nigeria:
From CAC wahala (though a bit better now) to,
2. Negative banking finance
3. Diligent and honest staff
CAC registration was a pretty straight forward and easy process for me.
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Yankee101: 1:51am On Apr 26, 2021
lagonovo:

CAC registration was a pretty straight forward and easy process for me.

Them don send ur forms back multiple times for minor errors, or auditor no dey on seat or them send your search e tey no commot?

1 Like

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by OYENIYIJK: 2:20am On Apr 26, 2021
iLegendd:
"It won't work," was the challenge and when I made it work, they got angry and jealous.

End of story.
Baba cheesy

Being a while
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by sonnie10: 2:23am On Apr 26, 2021
hucknall:

what is bootstraps? Isn't it a .CSS file?

There isn't always light....

Dr Martin Luther King Jr " Raise yourselves by the bootsstrap"
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by scdyxgg: 2:30am On Apr 26, 2021
QAQ
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by LikeAking: 2:38am On Apr 26, 2021
Trust nobody.

When the biz is having problems dont tell anyone. If you must tell make sure these people are better than you and they can solve your problem.

Never complain about the low patronage of your business you will chase away potential customers.

Use only ten percent and below of the money you have in your life for that business and be discipled to stick to it.
Be disciplined - the hardest

Never rent a big shop while starting

Dont spend too much money packaging your start up.

Dont start with very expensive sequipments, but go for the best.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by LikeAking: 2:40am On Apr 26, 2021
DemonInvoker:
Location,Difficulty Sourcing For Raw Materials and High Cost Of Production.

Which biz?
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by LikeAking: 2:40am On Apr 26, 2021
horladexino:
It is very frustrating when you don't have enough capital for starting business and bad location causing of low sale.
I may not earn more than #500 for the whole week to the point of thinking of begging on nairaland, I has typed the messages before I deleted it for shameless shake
I am phone repair technician and selling of accessories but making no sale is making my life to be frustrated and miserable

MY brother please ensure you have enough capital for a start up and good location if not it will end in premiums tears

Na experience things go better, add cash back stuffs to the biz.
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Quality20(m): 2:59am On Apr 26, 2021
OmovuduTheBeast:

ABEG MAKE WE HEAR WORD

NA OPATA YOU DEY YARN!

PLS SANE NAIRALANDERS, MAKE UNA POST COMMENTS MAKE I READ BETTER THINGS
He is actually in d best position to give a sound n useful advise. Ride on Mr manna, we admire n respect ur stance n contributions on this forum so much
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by CapitalBank: 3:14am On Apr 26, 2021
steric58:
Low patronage, food business.
cooked food? If it is low patronage, it means you located your business where not many people pass and your business is almost not seen by eyes that needs it. In my area, there are two sides. Those at the busy junction, including food sellers, make quite a lot of money.

There is a woman that sells yam close to a filling station, but somewhat away from the busy junction, though not too far off... she was there since I relocated and she saw no reason to move her item to the busy junction which is just a stone throw away from her. 5 years and she never made any move.

Guess what? someone else from nowhere found a spot at the busy junction, has no shade to shield her from the sun but does 2X -3X the sale of the other woman who was there but never made any move.

1. The Junction is busier but the first woman saw no need.
2. The first woman like to pray a lot too when it is just common sense that she requires to change her situation.
3. Leave your comfort zone... Good Money is not found in the place of comfort.

3 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Kelvin30286063(m): 3:16am On Apr 26, 2021
slimthugchimee2:
Hello nairalanders

I having a business idea that I am about to startup, I have acquired the capital and skillset ready to start small, I also have a clear cut business plan for it.

Now I just want to hear from other nairalanders the challenges they experienced when they started their business.

Unnecessary competition. You can be the inventor of the idea but as soon as 2 people enter your shop, you will see Iya ruka who has zero idea will open shop next to you. Iya bisi will open her own down the street and the competition will start. You will start selling lower than you should and your buyers will get confused.

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by bigx(m): 3:17am On Apr 26, 2021
The main challenges are in growing one.
Starting is childs play
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by lagonovo: 3:35am On Apr 26, 2021
Yankee101:

Them don send ur forms back multiple times for minor errors, or auditor no dey on seat or them send your search e tey no commot?

Nope grin
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Originalsly: 3:41am On Apr 26, 2021
slimthugchimee2:

Hello nairalanders

I having a business idea that I am about to startup, I have acquired the capital and skillset ready to start small, I also have a clear cut business plan for it.

Now I just want to hear from other nairalanders the challenges they experienced when they started their business.

A clear cut business plan.... all good to hear of challenges you may not have thought of... to fail to prepare is to prepare to fail... but why would you not say what line of business so you can get relevant feedback? You wouldn't even say if it is a storefront business... an online business ... transportation or services business. I can imagine you opening a restaurant with no sign to show it is a restaurant.... no menu and expecting people to walk in to find out what kind of business ....what you have....what is the price. When the business fails blame is shared all around except you. Only you know what kind of business you have .... with this kind mentality.... I can tell you right now it is either you're catching cruise.... if not.. your business has already failed.

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by dododawa1: 3:54am On Apr 26, 2021
Nigeria only is challenging as whole 1st.
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by TempUser: 4:01am On Apr 26, 2021
slimthugchimee2:
Hello nairalanders

6 Small Business Problems Faced By Entrepreneurs:

Lack Of Proper Marketing.
Getting And Retaining Customers.
Money Management.
Maintaining Online Presence.
Time Management.
Social Media Management Tools.
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Cashalhaji: 4:02am On Apr 26, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
I am pessimistic about business in Nigeria but if you must go on have a very big marketing budget.

Learn how google ads work and how Facebook ads work and how to use them to close sales. Also get a good location too for offline sales.

I like ur second paragraph
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Goldbw122(m): 4:21am On Apr 26, 2021
lack of Electricity and good road.. when that is still the major problem in Nigeria
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by juniorades: 4:28am On Apr 26, 2021
Finance, you just keep spending quick to put things in place
Video editors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiOXMrha-08
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Jimmyubah2: 4:35am On Apr 26, 2021
ayenale1:
Gives a hint about your proposed business before we can shook our mouth...
Oil dey your head
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Sheuns(m): 4:39am On Apr 26, 2021
I started my current business with zero naira zero kobo. You don’t always need money to start a business. My business is actually service based, we render services, so there was no need for capital. All it started with was adequate knowledge of the area, my smartphone, PC and a customer.

That first customer (a friend) referred more customers and I decided to make it a business. We’ve been on for 3 years now and we’re growing gradually. It’s not been easy, but we’ve been relentless.

What we do is procurement and import from China to Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Nobody: 4:45am On Apr 26, 2021
But you are aware of the challenges in nigeria, nothing works here, unless you have wisdom.

Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by obinna4Jesus(m): 4:50am On Apr 26, 2021
Seven things Which Affiliate Marketing will teach you :
1. Effective copy writing.

2. Potent content strategy.

3. Facebook and Instagram advertising Hack.

4. Lead Generation on autopilot.

5. Search engine optimization.

6. Email marketing.

7. Data Analysis.

Interested in becoming an Affiliate Marketer?
WhatsApp me on 08034760680
Re: What Challenges Did You Experience When Starting A Business? by Elidrisy20: 4:53am On Apr 26, 2021
Icumsa45:
Bastard Nigerian scammers, everybody wan chop person
Na opportunity nah

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Do I Get My Money From Debtors Without Involving The Police? / Banks Use Female Marketers To Woo Senators, Reps-elect (Punch) / POS Operator Overpays A Customer By ₦100k In Lagos (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.