Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,838 members, 7,802,683 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:49 PM

Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? (32757 Views)

Is It A Sin For A Christian To Fight Back As A Self Defense? / Is It A Sin For Married Couples To Use Condoms? / Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Toks2008(m): 10:09am On Apr 25, 2021
essenjack:
Please I need a spiritual/Biblical answer to this question, cos in a society like ours, most Christians tends to judge and condemn smokers.
I smoke (only Marijuana) for obvious reason(s) known to me.

You are not sinning bro as long as your marijuaja is taken for a good purpose n the quantity you smoke does not destroy your organs

But the problem is that many people easily cross the line from smoking moderately to heavy smoking.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Dechief: 10:09am On Apr 25, 2021
AllenSpencer:

So barbeque is a sin because it takes hot charcoal to make it happen

Bible said, everything! Forget the mode of preparation
hmmm bible says everything you can as well eat Castor oil plant (Ricinus communis) if you wouldn't mind... remember that same bible says wisdom is applicable to direct
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by EmekaBlue(m): 10:10am On Apr 25, 2021
kingphilip:
I'm addressing the food aspect. You are not eating the hot coal or are you?

Isn't what is being barbequed that you are eating?

Or is it the marijuana or cigarettes food you take? If so, let it stay in you after inhaling for say 20minutes before you exhale or blow it out then
I don't think the smokers eat the cigarette too...Just do ur own and leave others

Finally smoking might not be a sin because i have seen Roman bishops smoking during cold weather
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by realman42: 10:11am On Apr 25, 2021
Dis yna type of stupid argument no go finish
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by BruncleZuma: 10:11am On Apr 25, 2021
No, it is not...only Nigerians see it as a crime against God. Even your prophets were getting high on weed and seeing God.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Toks2008(m): 10:13am On Apr 25, 2021
miketayo:

Fast food destroys ur body too

Exactly my point.

When a habit becomes too much, it can destroy you...

Self servicing is a healthy habit some prole indulge in for medical reasons especially when they are single and at risk of having health issues as a result of lack of sex...

However if you indulge in sservice too much it becomes a destructive habit to you mentally and psychologically...

Same with eating and several other sinless acts that could be taken too far.

Smoking is not a sin in anyway but when you start smoking harmful substances then you have crossed the line.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 25, 2021
Some Habits May Hinder Our Spiritual
Progress.
The harmful Effects of Smoking Happen
Very, Very, Slowly which is why most
Smokers do not see it until it is too late.

"You bring woe upon yourselves—which propels you into embodiment again and again in the ignorance of the senses, the human appetites, and desires of the outer self.

These appetites in the feeling nature of mankind are in themselves but an accumulation of energy which the individual through his thought and feeling has given a quality of one kind or another.

This misqualified energy, gathers a momentum through human expression and becomes habit.

HABIT is but energy specifically qualified and held focused for a time upon one objective.

"The sense appetites of former lives become the driving forces and habits of the next— keeping you slaves, bound to the chariot wheels of discord, lack, and necessity— whirling you through a maze of human problems and experiences of your own creation—compelling you to learn and obey the—'Law of the One'—'Love.'
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by madecity(m): 10:14am On Apr 25, 2021
essenjack:
Please I need a spiritual/Biblical answer to this question, cos in a society like ours, most Christians tends to judge and condemn smokers.
"he that knows what to do and fails to do it,that is sin"
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Nobody: 10:15am On Apr 25, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
I am afraid you are wrong in your conclusion. It is worse to assume a thing a sin, and tell others that it is so, when it is not. That is akin to adding to the commandments of God and there is a curse attached for those who do such and tell others such lies. undecided

Rather than leaving it up in the air, it would be wiser to learn the Truth of God which clearly detail for your learning what sin is and what is not sin. It is by knowing this Truth that you can be set free from slavery to sin by the Truth, the very teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ Himself. undecided

You are not meant to be the one who determines what is ok for you. Devote yourself to the pursuit of an intimate relationship with God by His Spirit. Then come back and tell us what you have learned about His preferences. This is the way someone said masturbation is not a sin. This generation is eager to go astray, so they seek out controversy. As for me, I don't do alcohol. I don't smoke. I don't womanise. These are my choices.
By the way, the bible says our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. Don't defile that temple.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Adakintroy: 10:17am On Apr 25, 2021
Yes!. Your body is the temple of God. Dont defile it.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Dliquidmetal(m): 10:17am On Apr 25, 2021
you smoke you die,you don't smoke you die 50/50 life na dice. enjoy life while it lasts.
person wey dey use generator 4 their church too dey talk say "you are harming others whilst smoking" funny lots even the oxygen you breathing is killing us all bit by bit

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by sparko1(m): 10:17am On Apr 25, 2021
AllenSpencer:
Genesis 1:29

And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.

Genesis 9:3
Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

1 Timothy 4:4-6
For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer. If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed.

First question is, is it legal?, If the government says it is illegal then God can ask you to smoke, God is not a author of confusion, he said obey constituted authority.

Smoking is a sin not because of the plant but because of what it does to your brain, even the one that is legal, the manufacturer said and boldly written on it "smokers are liable to die young", and the bible doesn't condone murder of any kind, even suicide!

Finally, the bible say be vigilant! You can't be vigilant under the influence of weed!
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by blackjack21(m): 10:18am On Apr 25, 2021
sisisioge:

grin grin grin

My brother, how can the reasons be obvious but only to you? I dont think there is any religious harm in smoking jare...the associated health problems are the real contenders.

Lol! You saw that too.
I think English has killed more people than smoking.
Therefore, English language should be a sin too.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Eastcoastboy(m): 10:19am On Apr 25, 2021
pyyxxaro:
It depends on the type of smoke coming out of your mouth

It’s not a Sin to smoke Igbo , because sometimes you need to be extremely high to attack Devil and his agents undecided

Your last paragraph got me rolling.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Adakintroy: 10:19am On Apr 25, 2021
Dliquidmetal:
you smoke you die,you don't smoke you die 50/50 life na dice. enjoy life while it lasts.
person wey dey use generator 4 their church too dey talk say "you are harming others whilst smoking" funny lots even the oxygen you breathing is killing us all bit by bit

Keep receiving yourself.

We all die. But it's foolishness to go searching for your own death. Take care of your body. Don't inhale toxic. That should be common sense.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Vince77(m): 10:20am On Apr 25, 2021
Smoking is not sin. It's only dangerous to your health
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by wollexie1106: 10:27am On Apr 25, 2021
If God wanted us to smoke, our nostril will face up just like chimney.

Chimneys emit smoke upwardly
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by HizRoyalFinest(m): 10:28am On Apr 25, 2021
It isn't a sin, but it is morally wrong and not advisable as a Christian......
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by udoka1987: 10:28am On Apr 25, 2021
It’s not a Sin to smoke Igbo , because sometimes you need to be extremely high to attack Devil and his agents
It’s not a Sin to smoke Igbo , because sometimes you need to be extremely high to attack Devil and his agents
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Pimine: 10:29am On Apr 25, 2021
Perfectbeing:
Some people would be surprised if a pastor is on dreadlocks. Does that make it a sin?

Aswearugaaad

No, it doesn't. But if it is remotely possible that seeing you smoking or in dreadlocks will make that brother lose faith then you'd be irresponsible to continue that way.

Bible says flee from every appearance of evil. This means if it looks bad, even if it's not, then don't do it.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Pimine: 10:37am On Apr 25, 2021
sparko1:

First question is, is it legal?, If the government says it is illegal then God can ask you to smoke, God is not a author of confusion, he said obey constituted authority.

Aswearugaaad

Your logic is faulty.
If the govt says going to church is illegal, would I have sinned against my creator if I went to church to worship him?

I like your submission but I just had to correct that notion of blind obedience. Bible says "obey your father and mother in the Lord", but if your parents ask you to do wrong should you still obey them? I believe the knowledge of right and wrong trumps all that and should guide you.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by mrkings84(m): 10:39am On Apr 25, 2021
kingphilip:
for food and not to be rolled and fire attached to an end to inhale and blow out smoke which will be harmful to yourself and others

Am not a smoker and can never be. This is one of the hahits no man can lure me to.

However, I don't condemn those that smoke. But if the makers of the cigarette warns that it kills, then I will advise anyone indulging in it to stay away.

Also, if God gave man every plants for food, then how u process and eat it I don't think is an issue.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Benzemma(m): 10:41am On Apr 25, 2021
essenjack:
Am not free from sin. But any food or edible substance that offset your thinking faculty, thereby making you do things without your own human mind, is as bad as commiting sin. Furthermore, any food you know is harmful to your own body and you continue taking, thereby suffering your own body and soul which is the temple of your creator in form of holy Spirit, is also considered as source of sin. Because is harmful to your body and you are adamantly forcing it on your body, therefore you are commiting sin against your own body.
NB: not everything the Bible has to teach you, the Bible is there to guide you on some. God has given you the knowledge to know between good and bad, use that knowledge.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by louqas: 10:42am On Apr 25, 2021
kingphilip:
I'm addressing the food aspect. You are not eating the hot coal or are you?

Isn't what is being barbequed that you are eating?

Or is it the marijuana or cigarettes food you take? If so, let it stay in you after inhaling for say 20minutes before you exhale or blow it out then

Why do white people smoke? Their cold weather , if your don't smoke there to keep warm you will be a coffee or tea addict...or a whiskey and gin enthusiast. even priest (who are firstly humans ) do smoke/drink to keep the cold away.

So to me smoking was a necessity to those who live in cold regions .
But it is actually CAPITALISM that spread cigarettes all over the world,....they tell you it's dangerous but IT IS LEGAL TO PRODUCE AND CONSUME......which kind of people encourage people to poison yourself as far as it's profitable to them except Capitalists.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Chibuzoc(m): 10:43am On Apr 25, 2021
Well in Europe some clergymen smoke. What you do after matters most
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Akuruoulo(m): 10:43am On Apr 25, 2021
AllenSpencer:
Genesis 1:29

And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.

Genesis 9:3
Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

1 Timothy 4:4-6
For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer. If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed.
NICE ONE BRO. BUT GOD CREATE IT TO BE SMOKED ? IF UR ANSWER IS YES THEN GOD IS THE ONE CAUSING WAR FOR CREATING THOSE WARFARE PRODUCTS. GO SMOKE THE BIBLE BECUS THE BOOK IS MADE OUT OF PLANT
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by oyithemilkman: 10:45am On Apr 25, 2021
kingphilip:
for food and not to be rolled and fire attached to an end to inhale and blow out smoke which will be harmful to yourself and others
But other people use it as vegetable in food.other use the the water as tea.but me I can't support it's use as food or in as smoke because of the visible negative effect it has on addicts and how it has prevented many lives from attaining their full potential.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Akuruoulo(m): 10:46am On Apr 25, 2021
kenzysmith:
Those smokers stay away form formication than those who don't smoke but fucck people wives
That's ur own biased analysis
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Franzinni: 10:47am On Apr 25, 2021
If you believe in any kind of religion, you need to go do psych evaluation..you are frankly mad!
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by sgtponzihater1(m): 10:48am On Apr 25, 2021
Stop smoking because of your health. It has nothing to do with morality or spirituality
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by somehow: 10:50am On Apr 25, 2021
In this hot weather
As hot as this part of the world is

Someone still smokes and expect to remain sane.

Not different from people wearing suit in hot weather.

You do not need a Bible to explain some things to you.
Re: Is It A Sin For A Christian To Smoke? by Akuruoulo(m): 10:51am On Apr 25, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
I am afraid you are wrong in your conclusion. It is worse to assume a thing a sin, and tell others that it is so, when it is not. That is akin to adding to the commandments of God and there is a curse attached for those who do such and tell others such lies. undecided

Rather than leaving it up in the air, it would be wiser to learn the Truth of God which clearly detail for your learning what sin is and what is not sin. It is by knowing this Truth that you can be set free from slavery to sin by the Truth, the very teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ Himself. undecided
GOD SAID WE SHOULDN'T TAKE LIFE THAT WE DIDN'T CREATE, AND SMOKING IS ONE WAY OF TAKING ONES LIFE PREMATURELY

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

9 Types Of Pastor's In Nigeria / Apostle Suleman Invites Fayose To His Church Programme After DSS Saga. PICS / Daniel Okoh Elected President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.