Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? (24616 Views)

Night Of Excitement And Laughter As I Go Dye, Akpororo, AY Crack Abuja Residents / Need An MC Or Host For Your Events? / MC Tom Dancing During Wedding Ceremony (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by Nobody: 9:31am On Apr 27, 2021
grin.. Make you just smoke small to calm down your nerves grin grin grin

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by Geminirep(m): 9:33am On Apr 27, 2021
It is always better to start when pay is not involved. Preparation preceeds good performance, if you have d charisma and have been directly involved in cheering numbers of people up without struggling then believe in the talent and grace God has endowed you with. In my own opinion, ensure you pray and relax ur mind.

1 Like

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by proff010: 9:33am On Apr 27, 2021
This your comment.... Man Need Money... ehnn i don laugh tire. Me self need money ooo.
Phillipson02:
Helpers will locate you from today till next month, since u don't know me but bring out ur time to help me out . Tanks you are the man . Now am not nervous , this party is a big man's party n I have never done mc B4 in my life . Man needs money
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by Queenserah26(f): 9:34am On Apr 27, 2021
I concur. Love your audience, be cool with them, whatever you do, ensure to carry them along. Move with the flow, be original.

devilmaycry:
first of all....are u good with crowd ??...if yes ..then we move

get urself a paper which will contain table of contents...starting with opening prayer, and ending with closing prayer for Christians I suppose...

be free with d crowd and try to chip in jokes at some point in ur talks, like " na so I meet one lady d other day blah blah blah" dis will at least take away d boring side of sum bdays occasion ....

good luck champ

THIS COUNTRY DON TIRE ME Allah

3 Likes

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by NWAAMARA(f): 9:34am On Apr 27, 2021
lilvicky68:
If na young man just take 1 or 2 wraps of Arizona...if you reach there you go perform wonders..
no matter what, OP don't omit this crucial point here. else you'll flop.
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by cloud(m): 9:38am On Apr 27, 2021
Just avoid alcohol and marijuana. You'll never forgive yourself
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by lkillbrokehoes: 9:38am On Apr 27, 2021
Just do what you gotta do, be very confident which is very important.
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by Karleb(m): 9:42am On Apr 27, 2021
Watch popular MC anchor their programs.
Learn some catchy jokes even if they're cliché.
It's okay to be scared but never let your voice shake.
Gesticulate and own your stage.
You gat this!

1 Like

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by Tihmmyg50(m): 9:42am On Apr 27, 2021
A blunt of Arizona and origin bitters. The 400 naira own. You go they well, aje.
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by majamajic(m): 9:42am On Apr 27, 2021
lilvicky68:
If na young man just take 1 or 2 wraps of Arizona...if you reach there you go perform wonders..

Yes he can perform wonders or wonders perform him !

2 Likes

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by HitlerGaddafi: 9:44am On Apr 27, 2021
Phillipson02:
what about alcohol? shocked
I messed up big-time with alcohol B4 show , it haunted me for 8yrs till date ,

Can you tell me activities to go with on that day ,
Tanks for the marijuana advice remain blessed
If your messed up after taking alcohol then your problem ain't normal.

Alcohol brings out the confidence in you.
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by Jinad50: 9:44am On Apr 27, 2021
post=101162329:
From some of us @[/b], (Oga Chidi and Sisi Yewande) who are very versed at this on a side hustle basis.
We hope the below tips and advice helps.
Let's try to break it down to the basics.
All the very best.

[b]First of all
: Prepare the opening of the event. Introduce yourself and welcome the audience to the event. 

Stay simple, natural and fluid.
Stick with the program and try not overthink on the first try.
Manage your segment transitions.
Be prepared when and what to say.
If you're not funny or witty, don't try to be.
Just be yourself and bank on your strengths.
Open strong and end with a bang.
Don't forget to introduce yourself and always be mindful of what you say.

Know your event
Knowing your event is important for all types of ceremonies

Know your responsibilities.
The MC is responsible for creating and sustaining the intended atmosphere throughout the event.

Know your role expectations.
Being an MC means that you have a great sense of humor (in most cases, not all).

Do your research.
Contact your key speakers to find out some background information on them, and use that information to prepare your introductions for the speakers.

Stay organized.
Create or review a given agenda for the event, and plan out, minute by minute, the event schedule.

During The Event

Remain calm.
Being an MC is a lot of pressure.
The event’s success is largely contributed to how well the MC keeps things on track.
While the event’s proceedings can get hectic, it is important to remain calm and focus on maintaining your MC persona.
Nothing shows you’re more nervous as an MC, than talking too quickly.

Be prepared for anything.
As we mentioned earlier, a great MC must always be on their toes.

Close the event.
Your closing of the event should be as exciting and sincere as your opening.
Normally to close the event, the MC thanks all of the attendants, speakers, and performers. 

From all of us @[/b] : Happy McIntyre!
Do let us know how the event went.
All the very best for the future [b]Phillipson02
and all other aspiring MC in the house.

We Rise!

Thats really a nice advice. Thank u!
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by stagger: 9:46am On Apr 27, 2021
You should be able to take the situations around you and make a joke out of it...on the fly.
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by Kaiser20: 9:47am On Apr 27, 2021
Angrygoat:
Nonsense. After 3 months them go divorce
Learn how to read, abi your eyes dey pain you. The poster wrote ' a man's birthday party '...who will divorce who?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by beehivedata(m): 9:48am On Apr 27, 2021
You will learn on the job. You'll grow in it as time goes on and if you're naturally witty, you'll be fine. smiley
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by Jhayeahsam01(m): 9:48am On Apr 27, 2021
ability to face crowd. be funny dress smrt and nice jokes and cOmedy know your audience
iam mc_jaye
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by maureensylvia(f): 9:49am On Apr 27, 2021
post=101162329:
From some of us @[/b], (Oga Chidi and Sisi Yewande) who are very versed at this on a side hustle basis.
We hope the below tips and advice helps.
Let's try to break it down to the basics.
All the very best.

[b]First of all
: Prepare the opening of the event. Introduce yourself and welcome the audience to the event. 

Stay simple, natural and fluid.
Stick with the program and try not overthink on the first try.
Manage your segment transitions.
Be prepared when and what to say.
If you're not funny or witty, don't try to be.
Just be yourself and bank on your strengths.
Open strong and end with a bang.
Don't forget to introduce yourself and always be mindful of what you say.

Know your event
Knowing your event is important for all types of ceremonies

Know your responsibilities.
The MC is responsible for creating and sustaining the intended atmosphere throughout the event.

Know your role expectations.
Being an MC means that you have a great sense of humor (in most cases, not all).

Do your research.
Contact your key speakers to find out some background information on them, and use that information to prepare your introductions for the speakers.

Stay organized.
Create or review a given agenda for the event, and plan out, minute by minute, the event schedule.

During The Event

Remain calm.
Being an MC is a lot of pressure.
The event’s success is largely contributed to how well the MC keeps things on track.
While the event’s proceedings can get hectic, it is important to remain calm and focus on maintaining your MC persona.
Nothing shows you’re more nervous as an MC, than talking too quickly.

Be prepared for anything.
As we mentioned earlier, a great MC must always be on their toes.

Close the event.
Your closing of the event should be as exciting and sincere as your opening.
Normally to close the event, the MC thanks all of the attendants, speakers, and performers. 

From all of us @[/b] : Happy McIntyre!
Do let us know how the event went.
All the very best for the future [b]Phillipson02
and all other aspiring MC in the house.

We Rise!

I like your style cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:52am On Apr 27, 2021
maureensylvia:
I like your style cool
Awwwww,
Thank you beautiful.
Hugs and Kisses kiss kiss kiss

All the very best in your business dearie.
Foodstuffs to the world! wink
Everyone needs to chop for sure!
Looking forward to doing business with you.

God bless our hustle.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by ruffDiamond: 9:52am On Apr 27, 2021
I get understand MC get levels.. But any MC that ain't an artiste (rapper) ,to me,aint an MC but a glorified clown..I mean ,think great,legendary MCs like,MC Lyte,Rakim,LL COOJ J,,Seven our own Weird(Wired)MC,Rooftop MC.. These ain't jokers at ceremony .but all MC make sense than t that glorified thug and agbero ,that tinubu stooge called MC oluomo oshi..he's a disgrace to other to other artistes using that acronym

1 Like

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by kiddkash(m): 9:54am On Apr 27, 2021
all you have to do is to make bad jokes

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by saajus: 9:58am On Apr 27, 2021
- Just be yourself. Dress very nice, shave and look presentable.
- Know your audience, so that you can pre-plan some jokes. Cos some wealthy families may not be able to catch jokes of we that come from poor backgrounds, and that goes vice versa.
- Watch a few videos on YouTube to practice.
- Make sure you have a small paper guide keeping you on track so that you won't overdo or underdo a task.
- Keep to time, please don't waste ppl's time.
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by DamnNiggar: 10:01am On Apr 27, 2021
lilvicky68:

It will bring out the you in you...

Don't mind them grin grin
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by Vinnie2000(m): 10:02am On Apr 27, 2021
@OP

Firstly, Just be yourself, Speak well and Don't try to overly impress the Guests..

Do a Background check/investigation on your Client, e.g d person's Tastes, church, University dey attended, Football club d person supports, etc..Dis will give you things to say about himm..

On your own, conceptualize some jokes for the Guests..In a Birthday, @least 7 to 8 Jokes is good for the Guests..

Then on D-Day, Skip breakfast (inorder to avoid sweats, bowel movements, etc), Chew gums n listen to very cool songs, e.g Don William, Celine Dion songs to Lighten ur mood!!

But den, u can also listen to d Rap Artiste, Erigga!! Guy's has got some Funny n Crazy lyrics.. So dats it..

If You don't have Jokes and You need some, WhatsApp me..

1 Like

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by chatinent: 10:02am On Apr 27, 2021
Phillipson02:
I need helpful advice from experienced MCs here on how I can go about it, you can help me out with the activities and scopes.
Is a man's birthday precisely
Tanks

Be natural.

Fight the stage fright.

Use what's around you to make relatable jokes.

Avoid too many old jokes (people must have heard it).

Success to you.

1 Like

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by 360great(m): 10:03am On Apr 27, 2021
What is Arizona shocked
lilvicky68:
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by federalgodey: 10:06am On Apr 27, 2021
just be calm, then before you know it you will be flowing
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by bejick(m): 10:07am On Apr 27, 2021
Phillipson02:
Helpers will locate you from today till next month, since u don't know me but bring out ur time to help me out . Tanks you are the man . Now am not nervous , this party is a big man's party n I have never done mc B4 in my life . Man needs money
why not look for a experience hand to co-host with you. you learn from no go block your way by messing the guys show.
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by Frales6(f): 10:17am On Apr 27, 2021
one day begins a story
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by achi4u(m): 10:22am On Apr 27, 2021
Phillipson02:
That's one thing I like this forum nairaland, don't be surprise the person that help you might be an yammiri, afonja or aboki yet we overlook all those political vices and help each other.

Go make urself proud, just be very neat and eat very well before handling the mic.

Best wishes.

1 Like

Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by famouscargo4u: 10:25am On Apr 27, 2021
First, dress nice either native and corporate.

Be confident.

Rehearse like three to four jokes.

Ensure that you carry your audience along, know when they are not feeling you anymore so you can switch.

Introduce a game to make your audience participatory.

Note, your job is to make the event lively and at least amuse your audience.

Depending on the occasion, you can watch a video of similar occasion for you to have a feel of the real thing. E.g birthday, wedding etc.
Re: First Time As An MC Of An Occasion: How Do I Go About It? by achi4u(m): 10:27am On Apr 27, 2021
Queenserah26:
I concur. Love your audience, be cool with them, whatever you do, ensure to carry them along. Move with the flow, be original.

Be original.

God bless you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Types Of People You Find At Every Owambe / John Kumuyi, Son Of Pastor Kumuyi Weds Love Odih. / Video Of Heavily Pregnant Woman Dancing At A Praise Concert Goes Viral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.